08.03.10

2010 Oscars – Vera Farmiga In Marchesa

It’s A Grower Award
Vera Farmiga was one of the first to walk the red carpet at the 2010 Oscars.

The reason it’s taken me so long to post her look, is because I knew it would grow on me and it did.

Her Marchesa strapless column dress with sculpted pleated cascade is such a big gown, but Vera didn’t shy way from it.

She appears to be in love with Marchesa, as she also wore a Marchesa gown to the BAFTAs.

Her hair was styled into a loose updo and her lipstick is very complementary to her look.

Credit: Wireimage

Runway To 2010 Oscars - Rachel McAdams In Elie Saab Couture

Runway To 2010 Oscars – Rachel McAdams In Elie Saab Couture

2010 Oscars - Kate Winslet In YSL

2010 Oscars – Kate Winslet In YSL

28 Responses to 2010 Oscars – Vera Farmiga In Marchesa

1. helene March 8, 2010 at 09:36 #

OMG… it’s a catastrophy!!!!!!!!!

• Leah March 8, 2010 at 09:49 #

that was my initial reaction too, but like FC this dress really has grown on me and now i LOVE it!

• Lou March 8, 2010 at 23:22 #

I love it too – check it out from another angle:

2. Miss Pat March 8, 2010 at 09:40 #

I don’t usually like the look of Marchesa but I am loving this one. It’s far from boring, a real show-stopper. Love the colour, love the frills. And am loving the red carpet looks coming thick and fast!!! I love this website, I read it every day.

3. pascha March 8, 2010 at 10:18 #

The colour is just stunning on her!

But the structure of the dress looks clumsy to me. It’s as if a stack of pillowcases have been sewn together.

I would’ve loved if this dress had been modified so the frills were smaller at the top and gradually got larger as they snaked their way down to the bottom.

Or she could’ve taken a Victor and Rolf pillow/hat from a few years ago to keep with the pillow theme. That way she could’ve napped through the boring parts of the ceremony. ;)

• mol March 8, 2010 at 16:40 #

I love your idea of modification, where the frills would be smaller at the top and then get gradually bigger – it would have worked so much better then, as it would have more flow instead of being so static and awkward looking. She did move really well in it though and manage it better than some other people with really complicated dresses (Zoe!)

• pascha March 9, 2010 at 00:05 #

‘Static and awkward looking…’

My thoughts exactly!

I’m not surprised that so many women chose to wear Marchesa (Harvey probably put in a good word or two for his wife…) but I’m confused as to why Vera chose this malformed tornado of pillowcases when there are so many other glorious Marchesa gowns out there to choose from.

I think with the right accessories she would’ve looked magnificent in one of these Marchesa gowns:

• mol March 9, 2010 at 02:29 #

Beautiful choices – I think the second one as she seems to love ruffles (tee hee), but both are lovely and wouldn’t have swamped her. (I’m sure Harvey ‘helps’ alot of his leading ladies chose Marchesa!)

4. Nikki March 8, 2010 at 10:45 #

Although I thought the ruffles / details were a bit over the top, I would say that Vera Farmiga was able to pull off this look. And I love the color too. I’m glad she wore bright pink lipstick to complement her gown, or it would have overpowered her. She’s so pretty!

5. perfumeorpoison March 8, 2010 at 10:47 #

whoa really nice, I’m so glad she matched the lipstick.

6. robbie March 8, 2010 at 11:38 #

WTF that is one seriously hideous dress. the colour and those weird ruffles are just blah.

7. mm March 8, 2010 at 12:04 #

The color is fabulous! She worked the gown. I love it

8. nicky March 8, 2010 at 12:06 #

didnt like this at all….
    at least she didnt play it safe though…tht i have to applaud

9. Laveena March 8, 2010 at 12:55 #

I love this dress

10. Lara March 8, 2010 at 13:08 #

Her hair almost ALWAYS lets her/me/her look down… Her make-up runs a close second. The dress looked better on television

11. Claire Kelly March 8, 2010 at 13:37 #

It was my favourite of the night.

12. Linda March 8, 2010 at 13:42 #

The colour is fantastic on her and her hair and makeup lovely. I think this dress would be better on someon taller. Overall, she gets points for taking a risk and looking a little more original on the red carpet.

13. Stephanie March 8, 2010 at 13:55 #

She looks very pretty, she seems to feel good int he dress. But I can not get past the fact I had a Barbie when I was 10 with this exact dress- you could wrap the flounce 10 different ways.

14. Mea March 8, 2010 at 14:12 #

I don’t like the gown at all, so… thumbs down for this look…

15. mochababe73 March 8, 2010 at 14:32 #

I agree that this dress grew on me. I actually like the “Barbie” dress. I love the color and it looks good on her without making her look fat. The rfuffles have perfect placement. This is a dress that you will either love or hate.

Love Marchesa!

16. lucas March 8, 2010 at 15:35 #

It didn’t grow on me this is like a tacky prom dress.

17. Kate March 8, 2010 at 16:30 #

this is a cool dress, but totally overwhelming for Vera…she is drowned in ruffles! maybe if she had just had the ruffles a the top, and then a straight fall of fabric…might have worked better for her.

18. Kat March 8, 2010 at 16:47 #

Am I the only one that instantly thought of Eva Longoria wearing a very similar gown to the Costume Gala two years ago? I mean as soon as she walked the carpet I thought we had a repeat. The two dresses are very similar, but Vera’s seems dare I say it “cheap” looking in comparison. Eva pulled off her much more stunning version way better, which is saying a lot since she has such a tiny frame. Vera’s hair and skintone really let this look down, and any points for originality were removed once I made the connection

19. Leo March 8, 2010 at 18:08 #

She looks lost in so much dress, it’s a ruffles explosion.

20. Rita March 8, 2010 at 18:50 #

My favourite.

21. MEME March 8, 2010 at 19:18 #

This was one of my favorite looks….

22. Raquel March 8, 2010 at 21:55 #

Good thing that Vera is thin as a stick because the dress gives her some laaaarge hips.

Intellectually, I like it. It is a piece of art, even if a tad similar to others we’ve seen on the red carpet but… I dunno, maybe it is the color, which I love, but kind of gets lost constrasted to the red carpet.

I definetely dislike the hair. It is too… I dunno, maybe something more sleeky a la Maggie G or that hald updo Pennelope Cruz do all the time.

23. Michael March 9, 2010 at 02:32 #

I do like the dress… but the first thing I thought was that she looked liked a bunch of over-sized cupcake liners were glued to her… especially when she was sitting down!