08.03.10

2010 Oscars – Penelope Cruz In Donna Karan

Nice, Yet No Wow Factor Award
Penelope Cruz looked beautiful on the red carpet at the 2010 Oscars last night.

Her hair was pulled back as she glowed in her burgundy Donna Karan strapless gown.

I liked this gown, but I was missing the wow factor I was very much expecting from Penelope.

I really wanted that same excitement I felt from Zoe Saldana’s look. But this just gets a polite smile.

Her jewels were by Chopard.

Credit: Getty

Runway To 2010 Oscars - Charlize Theron In Christian Dior

Runway To 2010 Oscars – Charlize Theron In Christian Dior

Runway To 2010 Oscars - Rachel McAdams In Elie Saab Couture

Runway To 2010 Oscars – Rachel McAdams In Elie Saab Couture

28 Responses to 2010 Oscars – Penelope Cruz In Donna Karan

1. Shelli March 8, 2010 at 03:46 #

It looks to much like the gown worn by Keria Kightley to the oscars few years back…though this looks badly fitted and the jewerly boring…maybe just the pictures?

2. Gail March 8, 2010 at 03:52 #

this dress is very similar to the Kierra Knightley wore to the 78th Academy Awards.

3. Teresa March 8, 2010 at 03:55 #

I not too crazy about the bust line, it just doesn’t work for me

• Teresa March 8, 2010 at 03:55 #

*I’m

4. sarahW March 8, 2010 at 03:59 #

It reminds me too much of Keira Knightley’s similar dress – was it to the 2008 oscars? But not as good.

5. Watcher March 8, 2010 at 04:08 #

Yep, definitely a pretty dress and all, but so boring! This is a look we have seen on Penelope time and time again so now I’m not even bored anymore, I just don’t like it. At all.

6. mol March 8, 2010 at 04:15 #

Yes, so so, but I always give Penelope a pass as, for me, she has the most incandescently beautiful face and expression, it lights up from inside and all my criticism just melts away!

7. Willa March 8, 2010 at 04:23 #

Ditto with the Keira comparisons, though Keira looked infinity times better.

8. Pri March 8, 2010 at 04:44 #

Waiting to hear your comments about Sarah Jessica Parker, Demi Moore, Kristen Stewart, Vera Farmiga…They had some pretty good looks!
    Though Zoe Saldana was by far the most stunning!

9. vanessa March 8, 2010 at 04:53 #

omg FC you are the best i love your blog soo much i was soo excited about the oscars … have you seen rachel mcadams elie saab dress it is breathtaking!!!!
    im sure you’ll love it
    you must be so busy today just wondering if your gonna post it :D

10. Vera March 8, 2010 at 05:08 #

I wish she was not at the Oscars.

What a waste of a ceremony(((

• Vera March 8, 2010 at 05:24 #

Waiting for Kate Winslet and – BIGGEST SURPRISE OF THE NIGHT – Kristen Stewart.

They looked well, didn’t they?

And, FC, thank you once more for a great job!

P.S. There were no Emily Blunt?

11. Laveena March 8, 2010 at 06:51 #

The colour of the gown does not suit her

• helene March 8, 2010 at 09:27 #

I agree

12. Carmen March 8, 2010 at 08:04 #

*yawn*
    I ADORE Penelope… But this seems to be her standard formula when it comes to Oscar-type events.
    Uber boring…

13. dressaddict March 8, 2010 at 08:31 #

Don’t like it, it’s so busy up there, that it seems Penelope has no waist…

14. wilwarin March 8, 2010 at 09:17 #

it’s deja vu all over this dress…

15. helene March 8, 2010 at 09:17 #

I like her dress but not her face, I don’t know there is something wrong

16. carlos March 8, 2010 at 10:21 #

the duchess satin fabric does NOTHING for her. when will people learn that fabrics like duchess satin and taffeta almost always instantly cheapens the look?

the fabric makes her look wide at the hips, and which woman wants that? for that alone, it’s a fail.

17. perfumeorpoison March 8, 2010 at 10:53 #

i kinda feel i’ve seen this look on her a thousand times before. yawn.

18. pascha March 8, 2010 at 10:54 #

Why on earth would is she wearing a dress that makes her torso look like a rectangle?

The left photo makes her look as though she has no waist when everyone knows she has the curves to pull off any fitted gown.

I would’ve loved to have seen a bit of colour on her like yellow or purple instead of the same obligatory black. I’m not a fan of the rusted red on her either…

19. robbie March 8, 2010 at 11:35 #

yawntastic, this is the oscars for pete sake not a prom.

20. nicky March 8, 2010 at 12:08 #

didnt love it…penelope played it safe. i was expecting something like the versace white column gown she wore which was spectacular

21. Leo March 8, 2010 at 13:17 #

It looks a size or two too big for her. She looks lovely in this colour but the fit is all wrong.

22. Mea March 8, 2010 at 14:11 #

I have always loved her and, I think, always will. The only times she disappointed me was that “black and mediterranean” period. But now, I think that she was beautiful in this gown. She had grace and pride at the same time, and a bit of that Spanish taste!

23. mochababe73 March 8, 2010 at 15:25 #

Different color would have worked better for me. Also the bodice should have been more fitted than it is now.

24. Camille March 8, 2010 at 17:44 #

Boring! I’m so over Penelope Cruz in a big satiny/lacy ball gown. She wears the same variation on this theme at every awards show. I would love to see her in something sleek and modern for a change. This particular look was just so predictable and boring and didn’t seem to flatter her fantastic figure. Please Penelope, hire a new stylist and break out of your fashion rut!

25. whitestroke March 11, 2010 at 01:37 #

How so very MEH Vol. 02. If someone gave me that dress I’d throw it in the trash.

However, the dress is not making her torso something it’s not. Penelope really ‘has no waist’. Did people see pics of her in a bikini? That’s why these types of gowns are bad on her, they show her unflattering figure. She looked way better last year. Those kind of dresses give her more figure.