08.03.10

2010 Oscars – Kristen Stewart In Monique Lhuillier

Smile You’re At The Oscars In A Pretty Gown Award
Kristen Stewart was one of the presenters at the 2010 Oscars last night.

I would’ve really like the young actress to have surprised me, but her custom-made Monique Lhuillier gown was to be expected.

Dark and moody.

Her stunning strapless midnight blue silk satin organza gown had a beautifully sculpted bodice and a fitted asymmetrical draped trumpet skirt, but her posing baffled me.

I loved the gown, but would’ve preferred to have seen it on someone like Penelope Cruz or Kate Winslet.

Credit: Wireimage

Katie Holmes In Marchesa - 2014 Met Gala

Katie Holmes In Marchesa – 2014 Met Gala

Runway To 2010 Oscars - Maggie Gyllenhaal In Dries von Noten

Runway To 2010 Oscars – Maggie Gyllenhaal In Dries von Noten

41 Responses to 2010 Oscars – Kristen Stewart In Monique Lhuillier

1. Lorraine March 8, 2010 at 10:22 #

The gown itself is beautiful and Kristen has gorgeous skin so that part is good. But….the posing, I think she is standing with her leg kicked out, the way she would pose with a short dress on, but here it just ends up distorting the shape and flow of the gown.
    Also, I would have liked to see her with a delicate necklace as I think with her hair pulled away from her face, and only one bracelet on…she could have done with some subtle sparkle to lift the look.

• Lee-Shay March 8, 2010 at 10:41 #

I agree.. some sparkle was needed.

• mari March 9, 2010 at 02:23 #

I so agree, the dress was beautifully made, the fabric looks so nice in pictures, her fair skins contrasts nicely with it… but the make up she wore was not enough…
        She needed a bit more.. more smiles, a diamond or something… her youth and beaty (she is pretty) are not enough for a big night in such a nice but dark dress

• a March 8, 2010 at 10:44 #

I agree about the gorgeous skin. It’s flawless..
      The dress is regal. She scrubbed up well. She looks happy, she smiled and her hair and hands are not getting in the way . Im happy for her. :)
      It looks like she did something to the colour of her hair? It looks lighter

2. Cate March 8, 2010 at 10:26 #

I’m far from what you’d call a Kristen Stewart fan, but I was impressed with her choice. Or rather, her stylists choice. That said, whilst is was a great choice and regardless of how amazing she looked by her standards. By red carpet standards, compared to alot of other women, she was simply blah.

3. Nikki March 8, 2010 at 10:36 #

I like the gown and it looks good against her light skin and dark hair. It IS dark and moody especially with her dark eye makeup. But I expected something else from her. Something more edgy…something more “Kirsten Stewart”. And I do wish she had worn earrings, even just small ones to lift her look.

I think she really feels awkward on the red carpet. Maybe she’s shy and doesn’t like being in the spotlight. She doesn’t need to do the “hands on the shoulder pose”. I would be happy if she would stand up straight and push her shoulders back and smile more.

4. pascha March 8, 2010 at 10:37 #

The dress is dark and moody but far too girly for someone like Kristen who to my eye seems to feel uncomfortable whenever she wears the typical girly girly young Hollywood garb suited to women like Anna Kendrick, Anne Hathaway etc.

I would’ve loved to have seen her in something by Haider Ackermann or a modified Rodarte/McQueen/Rick Owens. And even though ladies are ‘expected’ to wear floor length gowns it would’ve been great to see her in one of those jewel encrusted leather gladiator Prada dresses. Dark, romantic yet edgy, and a little rebellious… it would’ve suited her perfectly.

And I totally agree, this dress needs to be on somebody with generous curves and bust to boot!

5. Chloe March 8, 2010 at 10:48 #

I like the dress but I LOVE the color!
    It’s a great color on Kristen and, for once, it’s not black or grey or something like that.
    Which actually does surprise me!
    Lorraine wanted to see her with a delicate necklace yet I myself would’ve like to see her wear some nice sparkly earrings to finish off this look.

6. Fiona March 8, 2010 at 11:15 #

Better dark and moody and comfortable, than white and sparkly and completely ill at ease. I like this look on her and she is almost smiling.

7. me March 8, 2010 at 11:34 #

Finally she did something with the hair

8. robbie March 8, 2010 at 11:44 #

sorry but she looks bored, and if she was bored she should have just stayed at home for god sake. she really does look like she would rather be at home watching tv.

boring as usual.

9. nicky March 8, 2010 at 12:04 #

i like the dress…but not on her. she doesnt do it justice imo.

10. mm March 8, 2010 at 12:12 #

I like the gown on her. But i am convince she has a condition right now her shyness is to much for her. On TV posing she was uncomfortable, the smiles are forced. I watch her on three networks, When she presented she was visibly shaking and fidgeting, it was painful to watch. She needs to get some help.

11. Cybill March 8, 2010 at 12:42 #

TMZ posted some better pictures of her where she seems to be standing nicely and smiling – I thought she looked great.

12. Laveena March 8, 2010 at 12:48 #

She looks nice despite the odd pose

13. a March 8, 2010 at 13:33 #

i think she must really like the dress because she wore it to the vanity fair party :)

14. Tragic March 8, 2010 at 13:50 #

At least she stand almost straigh. Ans she tries to pose…

Oh, and her hair are pulled back, whoch is a good point.

I can’t find another positive point. ‘Kristen Stewart in Monique Lhuiller’ sounds wrong. I wish her stylist would choose her some stuffs where she would feel confortable.

But, yeah, appart from jeans and tees, I can’t hardly see.

Oh, and when KStew went to the premiere of Remember me, she was wearing a black tee, and – wait for it – worn turned inside out ! On a movie premiere (the tee is printed with a guitar, and we see it through the shirt in HQ pics). Really.

If I was invited to a movie premiere, I would at least wear my tee on the good side (not that I would go to it with a black tee).

15. mochababe73 March 8, 2010 at 14:15 #

The dress is beautiful, but is not a Kristen Stewart dress. She strictly wore it for the red carpet and looks uncomfortable. Personally, I think another color would have been better with her skin tone.
    Kristen definitely needed some jewelry on her ears to bring light to her face. Diamond bangles would have been pretty, too.
    I think that everyone should do us a favor and keep her away from the Oscars.

16. Mea March 8, 2010 at 14:16 #

Great gown, but… Is she shy or unhappy? I watched her moment on stage and she looked really embarassed. What a shame!

• mol March 8, 2010 at 16:49 #

I noticed that too – she really can’t seem to handle these red carpet moments, and last night it was painful to watch her, i actually feel sorry for her, because it seems that she is trying to do what is required of her, but she just can’t make it happen…..

17. Vera March 8, 2010 at 14:58 #

Dark and moody?

SHE LOOKS AMAZING.

I didn’t believe at once it was she.

18. kelly March 8, 2010 at 15:13 #

wooow she looked gorgeous ,beautiful and classy
    and she was smiling alot yesterday
    now she’s on all the best dressed list at the oscars
    good job kstew

19. annasaurus March 8, 2010 at 15:28 #

Even when she tries, ppl have to have digs at her. She doesn’t have pierced ears ppl so she’s not going to be wearing earrings, unless you want her to wear clip-ons. You deliberately picked bad pictures of her, there are great pictures of her on other sites and she’s on uk’s instyle look of the day.

• a March 8, 2010 at 17:07 #

Hey there. Im also a fan of Kristen and i understand how you feel about ppl constantly critising her no matter how hard she tries. But give FC a break.. I dont think she choose bad pics of Kstew on purpose. She actually looks fine here. As you’d mentioned, girlfriend cannot please everyone :)

• T from Sydney March 8, 2010 at 20:08 #

im with you there

the after party pics at the vanity fair she looks really happy and beautiful

ps she hasent done anything to her hair its just regrowth coming out.

20. Annel March 8, 2010 at 15:59 #

Uh, I like! So much better than all the girly cocktail dresses that she clearly doesn’t rock. This is dramatic and sombre and it somehow fits her personality better.. But it looks like the dress is a bit to long for her.

21. FF March 8, 2010 at 16:45 #

I think that when they give her dresses to wear they need to factor in the fact that she’ll be slouching and likely frowning.

It’s kind of sad that her just being ‘presentable’ (hair, poise, dress altogether) is an achievement. Downgrade in standards much?

Looking at her I’ll see her boredom and raise it several snores.

Great dress wasted.

22. anne March 8, 2010 at 17:27 #

I LOVE the dress! and the color is amazing! its like vampirish lol
    seriously to me is Perfect! she has a good skin
    Some earrings would have gone excellent! and a good necklace! I wonder about the shoes…

23. wilwarin March 8, 2010 at 19:46 #

although i thik this dress is not best for her (i like only colour on her) i’m really happy she’s finally smiling and not looking miserable on red carpet.

24. Raquel March 8, 2010 at 21:43 #

I like the look. I miss some jewelry but it is not like we never see someone ditch the bling on the read carpet – hello Renee Z. The color is fantastic on her and it has that somber vibe that seems to suit her moody very well.

Kate and Penelope would have looked their usual selves – mermaid gowns (and column dresses for Late) are like their second skin. Boring.

But I agree with most people here: she seems really really terrified of being on the red carpet/under the public eye and it shows. I hope it gets better.

25. Barbara March 8, 2010 at 22:12 #

Dark and gloomy, maybe even sad. Beautiful gown but I don’t think she carried it off as it should have been…..accessories, smiles and even enjoying herself would have worked for me.

26. christina March 9, 2010 at 00:37 #

This girl SOOOOOOOO CAN NOT WEAR clothers, ever heard of the expression she doesnt wear the clothes she lets the clothes wear her. So needs to be applied to her.

27. pipsqueak March 9, 2010 at 01:02 #

She’s one of the most naturally endowed girls, particularly those legs. She can wear anything, but her red carpet looks are often a mess. I think it’s fine – she’s still young and not every girl is obsessed with fashion. I just hope that she’ll find her identity eventually and become a late-boomer on the red carpet, like Angelina Jolie.

• Annel March 9, 2010 at 08:55 #

Agress. Well put.

28. WendyB March 9, 2010 at 06:33 #

She’s a grumpy-looking gal.

29. Whatever March 9, 2010 at 08:22 #

I thought she looked absolutely stunning. I’ve been a fan of hers for a while now and she’s really kicked it up a notch with this look. I think the colour and shape of the dress are gorgeous, her posture is far better at the oscars than some of the previous events she’s attented. Too bad we didn’t get to see her shoes. I would’ve liked to see some red lips for a more glamorous look, but I quite like how her eye make-up is done. And I agree with those who say she should’ve worn delicate necklace or maybe a ring, she looks ‘unfinished’ for some reason. But all in all, she looks happy and more confident than usual, so way to go Kristen!

30. suzan March 10, 2010 at 12:31 #

she looks great.but i suppose ppl just has to find something bad to say about her.Come on ppl, she’s shy n all but she tries hard to pull each dress off.give her sometime.She cant just be like kate or any A listers.eventually she will be.

31. Susan March 10, 2010 at 19:51 #

She looks perfect. Everything came together in the best way possible.

32. Kate March 10, 2010 at 22:08 #

Meh, I agree that the dress is fantastic, but I don’t think she wears it well. It either seems a little old or a little too typical red carpet glam for her. The dress is the only thing I notice, not her.

Also, some jewelry could have added a LOT of interest to this look.

Overall, I just get a disconnect between her and the dress. She’s unique, and I prefer her in something not so (as this blog mentioned) Penelope Cruz or Kate Winslet. Either one of those would have worn the crap out of this gown instead of the gown wearing them.

Lovely dress, lovely girl, but I don’t think the two go all that well together.

33. whitestroke March 11, 2010 at 02:03 #

I think she’s got major insecurity problems she’s manifesting in a wrong way. Some people are adorable when they’re shy. She just ends up behaving like a rude brat. She was absolutely horrible presenting, has some serious lack of manners going on. I don’t know how would any producer or director give her the job after that. She doesn’t belong in that dress or in Hollywood for that matter.

Her stylist has no idea what they’re doing. She is NOT the kind of girl for the kind of stuff they keep putting her in. She’d look better and feel much more comfortable in something edgy and unconventional, but her stylist keeps dressing her like she’s Dakota Fanning or something.

• Fashion Critic March 11, 2010 at 08:56 #

This is the very point I tried to make a few weeks ago and her fans attacked me.

I said she would be happier in menswear. Tailor suits, or to go edgy like you said. Gowns and cute minis are NOT her.

Her shyness wouldn’t be so bad if she wasn’t forced into these gowns.