08.03.10

2010 Oscars – Carey Mulligan In Prada

Meh Award
Many of you won’t be surprised to see Carey Mulligan wearing Prada on the red carpet at the 2010 Oscars tonight.

The Best Actress Nominee opted for a black strapless Prada dress which had a voluminous skirt with a rise and fall hem.

I loved the dress when I saw it on TV, but that’s because I saw it from the waist up.

The bodice is encrusted with stunning Swarovski crystals which cascades down the skirt.

My problem with this look is the skirt.  I really wish it reached the floor all the way around, so for me this is a disappointing look for Carey.

I had a sneaking feeling she would let me down.

The look was paired with a black satin Prada clutch, black satin platform Prada heels and some beautiful earrings.

Credit: Style.com & London Features

Runway To 2010 Oscars - Amanda Seyfried In Armani Privé

Runway To 2010 Oscars – Amanda Seyfried In Armani Privé

Runway To 2010 Oscars - Diane Kruger In Chanel Couture

Runway To 2010 Oscars – Diane Kruger In Chanel Couture

42 Responses to 2010 Oscars – Carey Mulligan In Prada

1. robbie March 8, 2010 at 01:04 #

the earrings are just too big for my liking. but i love the rest.

oooh i cant wait til you post j lo *jumps up and down with excitement*

• mm March 8, 2010 at 01:33 #

i agree dont like the earrings. they look like they could be bigger than her head. I like the dress too, it had little scissors also on the bodice, thought that was interesting.

• Talita March 8, 2010 at 01:36 #

I agree with you, the earrings add too much info. She would be perfect without it.

2. Chaucee March 8, 2010 at 01:04 #

I actually really like this look! I know the skirt is a bit, odd but so is Carey so it really fitted her, and that’s why I like it. I like when people what’s most them.

3. alison March 8, 2010 at 01:05 #

the hem is what makes the dress fresh and modern and cool. it would be heavy and boring if the hem was the same length all the way around except perhaps if it was all tea length

4. Teresa March 8, 2010 at 01:12 #

I’m disappointed she chose to wear black. She looks good but I was expecting something bigger for the oscars

5. Laura March 8, 2010 at 01:13 #

Something about the length and how the bottom sits on her body is not working for me. If the bottom was a bit more flowy, I would’ve liked it more.

6. Julia March 8, 2010 at 01:13 #

I quite like it, especially the bodice – even if some of the charms are in the shape of scissors and forks!!Thanks for the great coverage so far FC!

7. Alex March 8, 2010 at 01:14 #

disappointed with this dress. I am bored by the black and the fact it is Prada. Would have loved her in something bright.

8. Michelle March 8, 2010 at 01:35 #

“I had a sneaking feeling she would let me down.”

FC you said it all right there. I just don’t get the hype.

9. Alfredo March 8, 2010 at 01:49 #

Eh its ok, personally she’s overrated

10. Linda March 8, 2010 at 01:52 #

No, no, no. Don’t like that it’s black, don’t like anything about it. The earrings are terrible! Way too long and big on someone so petite and with such a short cut. I’m disappointed and not surprised to find out this is Prada, yet again.

• Kate March 8, 2010 at 16:38 #

totally agree here! so wrong for her…and she’s so young! This was a marvelous chance to wear a fun, exciting, dramatic gown. but NO. sigh.

11. Michelle March 8, 2010 at 01:55 #

I will say the dress looked better on the broadcast.

12. Cameron March 8, 2010 at 01:58 #

Ah no no I think the hem is amazzzzing! It sets it apart from just being a black bejeweled sweetheart ball gown. Love the entire look however the earrings do look a bit painful and heavy

13. shaun March 8, 2010 at 02:31 #

i like the dress, and the hem makes it modern…however dont like the shoe story she is giving me ……would it have been more interesting if the dress was in copper, like the color of some of the stones, they are sticking out ot me

14. Marlyn March 8, 2010 at 02:35 #

I like the dress on her but don’t like the earrings.

15. juli March 8, 2010 at 03:02 #

I loved the dress, it fits Carey personality pretty well. I even love the earings

16. Vera March 8, 2010 at 03:57 #

AMAZING.

Pure perfection – rings matching the dress, haircolour…

Best Dressed.

17. lan March 8, 2010 at 04:02 #

i really like this look on carey, probably one of my favourites because its so fitted around the bust.
    i dont know about you but i feel like this is one of the best dressed oscars in a couple of years – def much better than last year!

18. catherine March 8, 2010 at 04:10 #

I adore the dress especially the rise and fall hemline.. it’s what makes it more individual and youthful… I think a full circle skirt would have been boring… it’s the earrings that get me… way too over the top for that bodice… i would have preferred simple clusters or even studs… they look like they’re touching her shoulders… still… i like the look…

19. educated March 8, 2010 at 04:17 #

you’re always looking for something different and unique to fashion, and here is a girl HANDING YOU creative, daring, and gorgeous fashion, yet you can’t recognize it! This is a beautiful dress and she looks breathtaking. she’s simply glowing!

• Fashion Critic March 8, 2010 at 08:55 #

I didn’t like it. What’s the big deal?

20. DM March 8, 2010 at 05:54 #

Blah. The earrings are too large, esp. with her short hairdo. The dress should reach the floor all the way around, and in this case if she HAD to have it this way then her shoes should be MUCH better than they are…

21. Laveena March 8, 2010 at 07:04 #

Cute, I like the face with the earrings not the dress

22. Katie March 8, 2010 at 07:36 #

The little keys and other miniature decorations on the bodice is so cute and really gives her a personality on the carpet. I like it a lot.

23. Sue Jin March 8, 2010 at 07:50 #

Didn’t like the earrings either.
    The bodice of the dress is just beautiful. It was the only part of the dress i loved.

24. Lexa March 8, 2010 at 12:20 #

I think she looks great – definitely stands out from amongst all those slivery, gold and blush pink gowns.

25. Fiona March 8, 2010 at 12:20 #

I am a little disappointed also that she wore black, but it is a good black dress with lots of quirks and interest. Love the hemline and she didn’t “pose” too much, I saw Randolph Duke complaining about many of the actresses really over-posing with hands on hips too much and he commented that Carey was still very much herself not trying to be a mannequin – good point.

• mol March 8, 2010 at 20:11 #

I agree, this dress had a quirky beauty that suits Carey perfectly, I think Prada is a perfect match here, Miuccia has the kind of humour and intellect that works well with with Carey’s personality. I loved the fit of the dress and the hemline kept it young and not too heavy, it also allowed her to move well and I’m sure that is what Randolph Duke noticed. I also thought that when Zoe and Carey were on stage together, Carey shone, partly because of this comfort level with her dress. Zoe was masterful in handling her giant gown, but you were always aware of it and not her!

• whitestroke March 10, 2010 at 21:33 #

IKR. I wanted to beat some of them with a stick how fake and over-posed they were. (Especially JLo. Urgh.) Strong choice of words, but I’m REALLY frustrated with that kind of posing on the red carpet.

26. nicky March 8, 2010 at 12:57 #

didnt like the earrings but otherwise, i think this is one of the other looks i like. the hem is odd and i dont love the shoes but its very carey and unique…tht fits her style

27. dressaddict March 8, 2010 at 13:44 #

Love it all: earrings, dress, details on the top of the dress, hair, make up, shoes. And the hemline is perfect for the dress, it gives the dress a certain feeling, a special one. Love it!

• cat_not_kitty March 8, 2010 at 20:41 #

Agree with you 100%, dressaddict. Love it all. Perfection. If I HAD to nitpick, I may have gone for a more delicate shoe, but all in all, my favourite look of the night.

28. Camille March 8, 2010 at 18:20 #

I actually liked this very much. She looked young and fresh, and for once I was not bothered by the shorter hemline in the front. Others have tried this look and failed and I think what makes this work is that the hem doesn’t go too short, which generally looks awful (Gena Davis, Demi Moore). Hers seems the perfect length to look interesting and chic. The earrings were a bit TOO big for me, and felt they distracted from the look instead of enhancing it.

29. FelipeA March 8, 2010 at 19:02 #

I really love this look. Sure it’s not the youngest, freshest look she could’ve worn, but it’s rather stunning and fitting to Carey. I like the earrings a lot more on pictures than on tv though. I was suprised to see her wear a dress with a rise and fall hem at the Oscars as many people hate it, but i love it and i think it makes her look taller and keeps her from being overwhelmed by the black

30. mochababe73 March 8, 2010 at 20:08 #

The bodice is the only thing that’s a saving grace on this dress. Again Carey Mulligan chooses a garment that does not suit her.
    The hem on that dress is heavy and too long.
    Prada + Carey Mulligan = FAIL

31. Terry March 8, 2010 at 21:26 #

Her earrings are 19th-century pieces by Fred Leighton.

32. Barbara March 8, 2010 at 23:09 #

I liked this dress but wasn’t too fond of the front hemline, I thought it made it look a little “cartoonish”.

33. Thomas Monks March 9, 2010 at 00:31 #

love the gown and I love the earrings but not together they just dont look right. looks like carey said “hey I am an oscar nominated actress” and decided that “Hey im gonna wear really blingy fred lieghton jewels just cuz i can”

34. Jen March 9, 2010 at 03:14 #

The hem is a bit odd, but mainly for calling attention to her bad taste in shoes. I think a lot of Carey’s good dress choices are marred by her chunky cheap looking shoes.

35. whitestroke March 10, 2010 at 21:44 #

It grew on me a bit. But I was let down. I don’t like the hem either. And while I watched her talking to some reporter she kept pulling it on the chest like the bodice is too big/loose on her. I love Prada but I don’t usually expect it on such events as the Oscars, Miuccia rarely shows gowns on the runway, so if you wear a Prada gown it’s either modified or customized or in-store, and that always makes me go EH.