Runway To 2010 Film Independent Spirit Awards – Mo’Nique In Tadashi Shoji

Dude Back Up & Please Shave Your Legs If You’re Not Gonna Wear A Gown Award
It’s sweet that Mr Mo’Nique is on the red carpet to support his wife, but dude back up so we can see her dress.

Yes he’s there to support her, yes he’s her rock, but it’s her time to shine so let’s see that dress and let him support you a few paces to the side.

It’s like Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise all over again.

From what I can see her beige Tadashi Shoji Spring 2010 dress is beautiful on her.

I like the length and those sparkling heels are gorgeous, but why OH WHY, would you wear a dress of this length if you’re not going to shave your legs?

Credit: Getty & Wireimage

Runway To 2010 Film Independent Spirit Awards - Dana Delany In Prada

Runway To 2010 Film Independent Spirit Awards – Dana Delany In Prada

Runway To 2010 Film Independent Spirit Awards – Maggie Gyllenhaal In Lanvin

Runway To 2010 Film Independent Spirit Awards – Maggie Gyllenhaal In Lanvin

54 Responses to Runway To 2010 Film Independent Spirit Awards – Mo’Nique In Tadashi Shoji

1. mimi March 6, 2010 at 13:22 #

no she didn’t shave her legs.
    check out how gross they are: http://i47.tinypic.com/169lon8.jpg

dude you’re on the red carpet, it takes 5 minutes max

• Fashion Critic March 6, 2010 at 13:28 #

ooh no..thanks. Gonna change the post

• Naomi March 6, 2010 at 13:39 #

I admire her for not shaving her legs, even if I would not have the courage to go out like that.
      Just because most of us were grown to believe that body hair is something to be ashamed of, doesn’t make it true.
      You go, girl!

• biskachoo March 6, 2010 at 23:58 #

Ditto on admiring her for not shaving her legs. She doesn’t have to subscribe to anyone else’s standards of beauty but her own.

• jdawg March 7, 2010 at 07:15 #

Agreed. She’s been doing it for years, and if it was a cry for attention, it wasn’t very effective all these long years.

2. Nikki March 6, 2010 at 13:41 #

I have to say I like her dress. I like the color and style on her, and her hair, accessories, and shoes complement her outfit. Too bad we can’t see her entire getup because of her husband standing too close. And I do wish she would shave her legs. Ewww

3. Flutterbang March 6, 2010 at 13:54 #

Ew ew ew

4. wilwarin March 6, 2010 at 14:10 #

legs are ewww like ewww…

5. Alyssa March 6, 2010 at 14:17 #

she looks great! girlfriend doesn’t like shaving her legs, big deal. i love her for not changing for hollywood.

• Malena March 7, 2010 at 16:17 #

Not changing for Hollywood??!! Please!!!??? I live in a small country half of people never heard of, and not in some big city, in a small town that doesn’t care about fashion and doesn’t really have a boutique in the vicinity and I would NEVER go out like that! Ever! It’s about hygiene! Why wear make up at all and such a dress if she is NOT changing for Hollywood! Gross!! Sooooo gross!

6. perfumeorpoison March 6, 2010 at 14:20 #

I think her leg hair is awful and too bad it’s distracting our attention from the dress..

7. pox March 6, 2010 at 14:20 #

Ohhhhh!!!! I am gonna literally be sick…. What could be more disgusting? And her husband is so proud….. please!!!!!

• Naomi March 6, 2010 at 15:03 #

I really don’t get people horrified reactions here.
      “What could be more disgusting?”
      It’s just hair. Just like the one on our head – but on a leg. Oh my, the horror!
      Most women have hair growing on their legs. I sure hope all these women are not disgusted with themselves for such a thing.

• justme March 6, 2010 at 18:24 #

Thank you, this is ridiculous. I wouldn’t do it but let’s keep it real, it’s just hair.

• amber March 8, 2010 at 16:19 #

I agree…not a big deal. you cant even see the hair unless you are up close.

8. julie March 6, 2010 at 14:28 #

augh…she takes the time to go to the hairdresser, pick a nice outfit (I like this choice on her), having a manicure and a pedicure, but of course, no shaved legs!she just wants to call everybodys attention (in a disgusting way).Ew..please, don’t post more pictures of her legs, please…

• Fashion Critic March 6, 2010 at 14:32 #

it is starting to feel contrived you’re right

9. dressaddict March 6, 2010 at 14:44 #

Just don’t get this…

10. Omo March 6, 2010 at 14:54 #

since when did shaving legs become a “standard” beautifying trade mark for the women folk? if she doesnt want to shave her legs how does that affect the price of gas or how does that affect what is going on in Iraq at the moment. Please do your research not everyone has skin for shaving, I dont shave because I react to all the creams out there and laser gave me 3rd degree burns and left big scars on my legs and waxing lets not go there so what are you all saying? Monique gave an interview saying she had the same problems like I do so ????? Please blog folk do your research and just dont go pointing fingers or judging people… **rolls eyes**

• Fashion Critic March 6, 2010 at 14:58 #

I will just reiterate what Julie said, If you’re gonna do your hair, pick a nice outfit, have manicure and a pedicure why not shave your legs?

She’s already conforming to “standards” of beauty by straightening her hair.

If this was really a stance she would have worn her hair afro.

Sorry this is just plain lazy for me and also a cry for attention which is a shame because she’s a talented actress

• Naomi March 6, 2010 at 15:12 #

If someone is calling Mo’Nique out for a double standard that is fair game IMO, I’m just more bothered by the reaction people have towards something very natural that we all have.

• doc March 6, 2010 at 18:04 #

Why does it have to be one standard of beauty? She has said numerous times that it’s customary for black women to not shave their legs, and honestly in America that is true for a lot of women her age and older. And it is also not unusual to have a relaxer and unshaved legs. It’s not about being natural. It’s about what she believes is attractive within the confines of her cultural influence. So you see, yes she is conforming to the standard of beauty within her culture. You just don’t agree with that standard.

• amber March 8, 2010 at 16:20 #

How is an afro the the same as having unshaved legs?

• dressaddict March 6, 2010 at 18:18 #

@ omo:
      Well, I actually did my homework for an article I wrote about it and look what I found:
      “But, it’s no surprise to us: The comedian-turned-actress-turned-talk show host has been known to show off her leg hair with pride. During an appearance on “The View” in 2006, Mo’Nique opened up to Barbara Walters on why she chooses not to take a razor to her legs.
      “I must show America what a real leg looks like . . . because it’s too much in the morning, every morning, to shave, to cut, you got Band-aids baby,” she said. “I really think hair on a woman’s legs is a black woman’s thing.”
      But the buxom beauty did admit to removing hair under her arms to prevent “stink.”

Google it for your self if you don’t believe me.

11. Renata March 6, 2010 at 15:47 #

Why oh why wouldn’t she shave her legs… I love this look on her but the leg thing just killed for me! To me that’s an unforgivable mistake! She should know better!

12. Erini March 6, 2010 at 16:40 #

She did say in a recent interview that her hubby finds hairy legs very sexy and that’s why she goes natural!!!!! Awful imo! She ruined an otherwise great look.

• whitestroke March 6, 2010 at 21:33 #

Oh boy!

If all men were like her husband we’d all be hairy like monkies. The reason why we evolved not to be hairy as other primates is because of the natural selection. At some point early humans started choosing less hairy mates. Not to mention the reason why they developed that taste was because they started associating less hairy bodies with cleanliness. And that was the point when the era of personal hygiene had begun.

• Kat March 6, 2010 at 23:24 #

Shaving legs and arms and whatnot began in the 20th century and has nothing to do with evolution but rather with hems going up and the invention of nylons. There’s no such thing as picking out less hairy mates – that’s simply made. During history attitudes changed esp. with regards to facial hair (the Romans shaved, the Germanic tribes didn’t, the Normans brought shaving back en vogue etc.)
        The current trend to treat bodily hair as gross and forcing women to remove it (except the mop on our head which for some reason is neither animal-like nor unhygienic) will be ridiculed by later times just as much as we shake our heads at nausea-inducing corsets and wigs full bugs.

• whitestroke March 7, 2010 at 00:38 #

I was not talking about the ACTUAL shaving. I was talking about the way people evolved not to be hairy like other apes still are and why. And it had nothing to do with Mo’nique’s shaving habits, but more of a digression. I was being humorous (even though the facts are real) about what Erini said, that her husband thinks it’s sexy.

There’s no such thing as picking out less hairy mates.
          I’m sorry, but I choose to believe National Geographic. That’s like saying elephant’s trunk or peacock’s tail is simply made, and not a product of evolution due to natural selection.

I would take your comment seriously and as simply misunderstanding the context I put it in, if it wasn’t for the last thing you said. It’ll be ridiculed in later times? You predict no one shaving in few thousands of years? (And Mo’Nique being revered as the Goddess that started it all and brought the human kind back to the path of righteousness.) Looking back at the human evolution, I would rather predict that in a distant future humans would lose body hair altogether.

The reasons why shaving in women became the standard of beauty are of the aesthetic nature. Which is also why the mop on our head is not removed. According to our society’s standards, legs look better shaved, head and face look better with hair on it.

13. mm March 6, 2010 at 16:52 #

I just dont think hairy legs or underarm hair is attractive for women, i have been totally socialize that way. BUT

Monique has been performing for years, and has said since the 90s when she sorta first pop on the scene on HBO Def comedy jam she doesnt , will not shave her legs. She has hosted the BET awards, queens of comedy tours, movies showing her hairy legs. She will not do it. And her men folk love it so she really will not shave her legs.

14. mol March 6, 2010 at 17:46 #

This outfit looks beautiful on her, but it calls for sleek and smooth everything – the pulled back hairdo is right, the snugg fit of the dress is right, BUT the scruffy leg hair goes completely against everything. I don’t have problems with people who want to defy a convention, but be realistic then about how you choose to work it – going with a loose boho long dress would have completely fit in at this event, at the same time that it would have worked with Mo’Nique’s au natural style! As it is, it seems as if she is deliberately calling attention to her one ‘rebellious’ act (and thus more headlines, which, enough already, we are already bored!).

15. toorose March 6, 2010 at 17:55 #

ewww gross.

16. Tara March 6, 2010 at 18:02 #

Maybe she doesn’t give a damn what you think. Shocker, I know. And as to why she would get a pedicure and do her hair etc and not bother with the legs? Well, maybe because she did all that for HERSELF, because it makes HER feel good whereas shaving doesn’t.

• whitestroke March 6, 2010 at 21:24 #

It’s funny when people think those that are making negative comments on something do it ’cause they think that person CARES. If she cared what people think she would shave her legs. So that’s not the point.

• Tara March 6, 2010 at 22:06 #

‘If she cared what people think she would shave her legs. So that’s not the point.’

But that is exactly my point. She didn’t shave because she doesn’t care what people think.

• whitestroke March 7, 2010 at 00:45 #

I know. And my point was that we are all very well aware of it. Which is why I thought your first 2 sentences were unnecessary.

Maybe she doesn’t give a damn what you think. Shocker, I know.

People just seem to be strongly opinionated on the issue. Does she care about our opinion or not doesn’t make us discuss it more or less.

17. mimi March 6, 2010 at 18:09 #

its one thing to prefer hairy legs, but another thing to show them off like this. she even lifted her skirt to show her legs at golden globes http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/01/19/article-0-07E65AA7000005DC-91_468x720.jpg
    I think she’s acting no different than attention seeking lindsay or britney

• Fashion Critic March 6, 2010 at 21:07 #

ditto to the last point.

18. mari March 6, 2010 at 18:14 #

joking, to be more in the same tone wth her gown the occasion, she could have use some cream so the leg hair did not look so hirsute. A friend of mine (arab descent) was is soooo hairy than before her parent let her start shaving her legs, she smoothened it when going to the beach. She was already self conscious about the hair.she had. She got lasered it as soon as she could.
    In a way, I admire the women that won’t conform to this. My skin is too sensitive too, but again, I am not going to award shows.
    She’s brave, and in a sense if she really has had this stance for years, then it is just congruent that she stays the same.
    But then again, I criticized Maggie Gyllenghaal (sp? for not wearing a bra, so, if she does not want to wear bras regardless of how this makes her look, then she is just as entitled as M’onique to not shaving.

19. robbie March 6, 2010 at 19:30 #

wow that is a bit gross. that obviously hasnt been growing for a day looks like alot of thought went into that leg hair.

i do hope she shaved under her arms.

the dress and shoes are lovely though.

20. Talita March 6, 2010 at 19:31 #

If she doesn’t want to shave that’s her choice but I don’t think we need to see that. She should cover her legs! Ewww

21. whitestroke March 6, 2010 at 21:13 #

It’s like Carmen Kass all over again. I have nightmares.

22. Erika March 6, 2010 at 21:45 #

What does Kass have to do with this?

• whitestroke March 6, 2010 at 21:54 #

She also doesn’t shave her legs. Did you ever see HQ runway shots of her?

23. Tania March 6, 2010 at 22:04 #

She ruined those beautiful Jimmy Choo’s. I don’t understand how her husband finds leg hair sexy. It just looks wrong and i’m not sure about the comment about it being a black woman thing. I am a black woman and I shave my legs and so do my black friends.

• Fashion Critic March 6, 2010 at 22:45 #

Me three and my sister too.

24. Elle Woods March 7, 2010 at 01:36 #

She looked lovely in that dress. And since when was not shaving a bad thing? its a natural thing to grow hair on your legs and you have the option to shave or not to shave. Its called individual preferences. and she doesn’t need to cover it up. If you don’t like it then look at someone else. She doesn’t have to conform to anybody’s standard of beauty.

25. alice March 7, 2010 at 05:12 #

because it’s a feminist statement, she shouldn’t have to shave her legs just because it adheres to other people’s definition of beauty, she looks really good and who cares about that. own it.

26. Symon March 7, 2010 at 12:21 #

OH MY …..

27. Memeea March 7, 2010 at 12:40 #

I see that many women here are supporting Mo’Nique and are almost angry at people who don’t understand her fashion statement. It’s simply a problem of aesthetics. It’s ok to comment about about a bad coif or make-up..dresses that don’t fit but not ok to comment about this?

• Susan March 10, 2010 at 21:41 #

I am fine with people commenting on the aesthetics of her not shaving her legs, but a lot of people (here and elsewhere) are acting like it’s somehow unclean or unhygenic. How is it unclean? It’s not like she admitted to only bathing once a year.

28. dressaddict March 7, 2010 at 14:08 #

One thing is for sure, though, tafter all the posting, hat redcarpet-fashionawards.com has some intelligent readers, these posts showed it!

29. Ksenia March 7, 2010 at 16:20 #

I respect that she didn’t shave her legs. Shaved legs is a societal norm that not all women should have to follow. Yes, it may appear gross, but WHY DON’T MEN SHAVE THEIR LEGS? THEY HAVE MORE HAIR THAN WE DO- IN FAR MORE PLACES!. Cut this woman some slack because she is gorgeous here.

30. Mary March 8, 2010 at 20:17 #

grody to the max!
    I just think it’s funny her quote about not having time and bandaids and what not. I work full time–I shave daily–I am 27 and have cut myself twice in my LIFE!
    Get yourself a good razor–practice does perfect!