Marion Cotillard and Penelope Cruz continue to work the European leg of the promotional tour for their movie “Nine”.

They were in Paris last night, dressed by their favourite designers.

Marion wore a Christian Dior Fall 2009 Couture nude dress with a lace embellished overlay.

The dress had been modified from the runway, but I much prefer the dress as it was presented.

A lot of the charm has been lost for me in Marion’s shorter version, plus I loved the dress belted.

I also really dislike Marion’s styling from the hair to the single gold earring.

For the second time this week Penelope Cruz has blown me away.

She wore a ballet pink floor-length L’Wren Scott Spring 2010 dress with a delicate lace train which was custom-made for the Spanish actress.

My first thought was “thank god it’s not black” as I love seeing Pen wearing colour.

Now the dilmena is which dress should be added to the BDOTW poll.

The Versace or the L’Wren Scott dress?

[nggallery id=350]

Credit: Style.com & Getty

J. Mendel Fall 2010

J. Mendel Fall 2010

In Dasha Zhukova's Closet - Proenza Schouler Bustier Empire Dress

In Dasha Zhukova’s Closet – Proenza Schouler Bustier Empire Dress

28 Responses to “Nine” Paris Premiere – Marion Cotillard In Christian Dior & Penelope Cruz In L’Wren Scott

1. bettybrandenburg February 19, 2010 at 14:18 #

Completely agree with you, FC, on the Dior. Would have been much better in original version (but minus the stockings showing…) I also like Marion Cotillard’s quirky 40s inspired updo.
    I love Penelope in everything, normally, but in this instance I’m not getting the lace inset at the back…

2. Shoshanna February 19, 2010 at 14:39 #

I prefer Marion mainly because I have been really disappointed with her boring style lately and this is a major upgrade.

Penelope Cruz is turning into Nicole Kidman with this L’Wren Scott business.

3. http://www.thegoldencupcakes.blogspot.com/ February 19, 2010 at 14:49 #

i just love Pe here. she’s glowing!

4. mm February 19, 2010 at 14:52 #

Pretty in pink, i really like Penelope’s dress, love the color and the lace. I am not feeling her hair color.
    I think the dior dress should go for BDOTW, i just love the fit on Marion and her shoe choice.

5. Alyazia February 19, 2010 at 14:59 #

Im in love with both look sof penelope, cant seem to decide on one .. im glad she’s taking a step back from the black gowns, well i sure hope this will continue till the oscars at least :)

6. Naomi February 19, 2010 at 15:00 #

I think Marion Cotillard’s modified dress looks so much better than the original. The original look gives me a headache – lace and gloves and a belt and stockings (not to mention the hat) – the dress is completely lost in that mess.
    But the modified dress looks absolutely charming and a lot more cohesive. Plus it looks more flattering.

• Linda February 19, 2010 at 15:44 #

I agree with Naomi. I love Marion here. I find her whole look so pretty and fresh, and charming, as Naomi said. I love the hair and makeup and the shoes are great with the dress. The original look is a mess compared to her look. Penelope also looks great, but her Versace dress should be the BDOTW contender over this one.

7. Lara February 19, 2010 at 15:06 #

Versace please… this does NOT outdo that.

8. Lara February 19, 2010 at 15:07 #

Also I think people are getting confused. FC is asking whether Penelope’s Versace from earlier in the week, or this L. Scott dress should be up for BDOTW. Marion is not in contention from this post.

9. nicky February 19, 2010 at 15:38 #

versace was better. it was a stunning look from head to toe. pink dress is pretty on penelope but i dont like her hair colour or style here…..=\ looks flat

10. Jeremy February 19, 2010 at 15:45 #

I really believe that Nicole Kidman convinced Penelope Cruz during their time working at “Nine” to fire her old stylist and get L’wren Scott as her new one. And that’s a mistake. Cruz used to look so jaw-dropping and goddess-like. Now she plays it safe and so boring. Not that I hate L’wren Scott’s design but we have enough of Stepford Wives in Hollywood. If anyone should be stand-out in the crowd, Penelope deserves to be one of them.

• Fashion Critic February 19, 2010 at 15:59 #

I didn’t realise Cruz switched stylists

• Nemesis February 19, 2010 at 16:21 #

But she has been boring since the oscars last year; I don’t remember well the dates but FC used to criticise Pe for always wearing the same before filming nine, ans she was not usually wearing L’wren but alaïa.
        And I dont’t think Nicole and Pe are really friends, as Cruz was the next girlfriend Tom had after he split with Nicole.

11. Ally February 19, 2010 at 16:03 #

I think Pen looks amazing. I say both dresses deserve to be on the poll, but with a slight edge to the Versace.

Whoever did that to Marion’s hair should never be allowed near a comb ever again!

12. gg February 19, 2010 at 16:04 #

nice to see penelope not wearing black.
    she looks amazing in this gown but i still perfer her in versace from earlier in the week.

13. Leo February 19, 2010 at 16:07 #

They both look amazing, sexy and confident. The “Nine” ladies did not live up to my expectations on the movie’s press tour, but from time to time they really bring it and wow us, like here.

14. Sabina February 19, 2010 at 16:28 #

Penelope looks stunning from head to toe! L’Wren Scott dresses are perfect for her, and the lace train look just divine! I think she should be included in BDOTW :)

15. cornelia February 19, 2010 at 16:38 #

wow I think marion looks great and penelope.. just boring

16. Linda February 19, 2010 at 16:57 #

L’Wren Scott’s dresse are all sort of matronly. I think that’s what makes them so boring.

17. nicole February 19, 2010 at 16:57 #

penelope looks amazing! i loved both her looks good luck choosing one for the poll

18. Dorian Gray February 19, 2010 at 17:17 #

VERSACE forever!

19. Rebecca February 19, 2010 at 17:29 #

I do prefer the runway version but I think Marion still looks great here. With regards to Penelope, I think the Versace should be up for BDOTW but the train on this dress is stunning.

20. Belen Sanchez February 19, 2010 at 17:45 #

Both dresses should be on the poll… But I have to choose between this and the Versace… I prefer the Versace one!

21. Alfredo February 19, 2010 at 17:46 #

Yeah Penelope is getting boring, she used to wear so much color, her hair was always on point, she always looked fresh and stunning, now she’s using pieces that are too “simple” for her standards, the colors are very neutral as well, I miss the old Penelope. I say use the Versace for BDOTW poll, this looks is not really doing it for me, it ok but that’s it.

Marion….. No words.

22. mol February 19, 2010 at 19:26 #

Versace.

23. P. February 19, 2010 at 22:16 #

i just L.O.V.E Marion Cotillard’s look, despite the hair, which i really dislike, she still looks gorgeous and heels are to die for. I also love Pen, she looks effortless, very chic, delicate, both women look pretty darn amazing.

Between L’Wren Scott dress and Versace dress, I prefer the last, because Pen looks even better, despite the fact a vintage is always a vintage.

24. staramour February 20, 2010 at 20:39 #

I also love Marion’s look! Pen looks great, but a little flat. I actually thought the way Marion’s dress was modified from the runway very much evoked the layed look of the sheer dress with the stocking tops but made it very classy and wearable. I would wear that in a heartbeat! Like FC, I wish I had seen it with a belt – maybe as a fly on the wall where she got dressed! Perhaps she auditioned one but decided against because the seaming is so nice from top to bottom?

25. perfumeorpoison February 21, 2010 at 11:06 #

i think marion looks beautiful. Is it just me or does her dress look a bit like emma watson’s christopher kane dress?