19.02.10

J. Mendel Fall 2010

Gilles Mendel presented his J. Mendel Fall 2010 collection yesterday on the last day of New York Fashion Week.

The models were perched on pedestals, and each one would also walk the runway for a bank of photographers.

I liked this type of presentation because you got to see the details of each look up close, plus you also saw how each look moved on the runway.

The looks on the right of the runway included fur coats, jackets, gilets and even a fur messenger bag.  These were paired with pants, mini dresses and tights.

Christian Louboutin provided the footwear of ankle boots and slouchy boots. Some were also trimmed with fur.

My favourite look on this side was the mini chocolate brown tweed dress which was crystallized and shimmered under the light.

The other side of the runway was more glamorous.  We were presented with mini cocktail dresses paired with ankle boots (grrr) and red carpet ready gowns.

I adored the look which included a gladiatorial embellished skirt and a jagged edge belted fur vest.

One of the most interesting pieces was the ombre red gown which delightfully shimmered when it caught the light. I would imagine this would be a knock out on the red carpet if worn by the right person.

Celebrity guests included Brooke Shields and Melissa George.

[nggallery id=349]

Credit: Style.com

Front Row @ Christian Siriano Fall 2010

Front Row @ Christian Siriano Fall 2010

"Nine" Paris Premiere - Marion Cotillard In Christian Dior & Penelope Cruz In L'Wren Scott

“Nine” Paris Premiere – Marion Cotillard In Christian Dior & Penelope Cruz In L’Wren Scott

6 Responses to J. Mendel Fall 2010

1. Alexandra February 19, 2010 at 14:23 #

could please someone tell me who is Melissa George and why is she attending nearly every show which is held this fashion week?

beautiful collection though. i love this navy blue strapless gown in the right corner. don’t know why but Penelope Cruz came to my mind!

• Fashion Critic February 19, 2010 at 14:37 #

I know her from Home & Away, but she’s been in Grey’s Anatomy. As for the rest I would struggle to name a single movie she’s been in.

There hasn’t been the celebrity force in the front row like previous seasons.

• Ally February 19, 2010 at 16:10 #

She was also on Alias and In Treatment (for which she was nominated for a Golden Globe).

I really love that one shoulder red dress. The details on it are stunning.

2. Shoshanna February 19, 2010 at 15:01 #

I remember Melissa as Angel from Home and Away and the ‘hot nanny’ in Friends. But recently, she blew me away in In Treatment.

I don’t think there is ever much celebrity force at NYFW, is there? They have a few top dressed women like Chloe Sevigny, Natalie Portman and Kate Bosworth. Kirsten Dunst is always on the front row at Rodarte.

Anyway, I don’t really like this, but then again, I’ve never liked J. Mendel. The first reminds me of that Roberto Cavalli outfit Diane Kruger once wore to his store opening.

3. Linda February 19, 2010 at 15:48 #

I like the red ombre gown FC talked about. I would love to see that on Cate Blanchett. I know, it’s always the Great Cate, but she wears clothes like no other.

• Fashion Critic February 19, 2010 at 15:58 #

LOL…it’s true we always picture the great ones on Cate