13.02.10

Willow Fall 2010

In my constant quest to discover new designers I went to the Willow Fall 2010 presentation yesterday afternoon.

I didn’t know what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Australian designer Kit Willow designs for a sexy strong woman who’s in control, yet has a soft delicate side.

I loved the strong dark commanding pieces in the beginning, which lead to prints, then soft nudes, tomato reds and bubble gum pinks.

Nudes have very much been a Spring 2010 trend, so I was surprised to see so many nude pieces in this collection.

The ruffles on these looks were beautiful and perfectly counterbalanced the moody dark pieces we expect from a Fall collection.

Touches of glamour came from the sequined pink dresses, a red jumpsuit plus a peak shouldered red dress.

Top models such as Anja Rubik, Karlie Kloss and Australian model Abbey Lee stormed the runway in wedged heels. The black heels paired with the nude looks were distracting, but they worked well with other pieces.

A floaty chiffon dress worn by Abbey Lee closed the show, which was paired with matching pants.

As you can see from my video, I had a very good view in the front row.

Credit: WWD

Maria Bello In Naeem Khan - 'Prisoners' LA Premiere

Maria Bello In Naeem Khan – ‘Prisoners’ LA Premiere

Edition by Georges Chakra Fall 2010

Edition by Georges Chakra Fall 2010

25 Responses to Willow Fall 2010

1. chrystelle February 13, 2010 at 14:28 #

girl.u’re lucky.it is all i have to say.outfits on the runway always put me off cuz the models look so generic. i’m waiting for a celeb to wear it and bring his or her personnality into it before i judge the design.
    take care of urself.it is really freezing over there in the US and i thought we had it bad here in germany.stay warm and healthy.i don’t want u to miss the BAFTA!

• Fashion Critic February 13, 2010 at 14:41 #

hey chrystelle, thanks for your message.

It’s cold, but running around New York keeps me warm :)

2. Alexandra February 13, 2010 at 16:29 #

wow i just ADORE this pink sequined dress Anja Rubik is wearing! I’d love to see it on the red carpet!

3. sujaya February 13, 2010 at 16:32 #

hi fc… i’ve been following ur site for a year now.. and i always appreciate when u work overtime and post on weekends( esp the award season..!).. just brightens my mundane life…!!

• Fashion Critic February 13, 2010 at 17:05 #

You are very welcome. It’s my pleasure

4. mol February 13, 2010 at 19:15 #

I kinda like this collection – simple and strong, well tailored…..worth watching.

5. Katey February 13, 2010 at 19:26 #

Where can we see the Christian Siriano Autumn/Winter 2010 Collection?

TheChristian Siriano Show was at Friday, wasn’t it?

6. SkirtTheIssue February 14, 2010 at 00:04 #

I love Willow, especially some of the laser cut pieces from her last couple of collections. I own quite a few of her pieces, looking forward to seeing this collection in person- especially the hitchcock-esk dress that Karlie Kloss in wearing above

Again, great job FC- so happy that designers are recognizing your site’s great work and that you are getting so many high-rate invites to the shows! x

• Fashion Critic February 14, 2010 at 02:36 #

Thanks. It’s not easy, especially as I’m not from the US

7. SkirtTheIssue February 14, 2010 at 00:19 #

Oh- on the nude thing, I think Australian designers who present internationally try to keep things as trans-seasonal as possible- this collection will be on sale mid year here is Australia, so will actually be for our S/S season at the end of the year- technically the trends that were presented for the Northern Hemisphere S/S 2009, aren’t suppose to hit us until next summer at the end of this year- hence bringing in the nude into this cllection. Though in reality, with the advent of the internet, we aren’t so behind the times as that- our high street will be ripping off the A/W looks presented now for the coming colder months here -which actually means we get to wear trends first for the most part! (though obviously not the “real thing” in terms of the designer pieces!)

• Fashion Critic February 14, 2010 at 02:35 #

trans-seasonal. Makes sense.

Is it right that Australia have winter when we have summer?

• SkirtTheIssue February 14, 2010 at 06:22 #

Yeap- at the moment we are in the middle of summer, so the Australian brand A/W stuff is just being released (like your spring/summer stuff is just starting to filter through in-store too). Australian brands that are sold internationally like Sass and Bide, Willow, Camilla and Marc, Lover, Josh Goot etc release almost the same collection to us and you and the same time, but they often will add a few more “winter-esk” or “summer-esk” pieces, or change the materials used, depending on the season in the Northern/Southern hemisphere.

• Fashion Critic February 14, 2010 at 09:49 #

thanks :)

8. SkirtTheIssue February 14, 2010 at 00:22 #

Oops- I meant the trends presented for the Northern S/S 2010 (which were presented in 2009), aren’t technically suppose to reach us in the Southern Hemmisphere until 6 months later in our summer in 2010/11

Fashions seasons are so confusing!!

9. Julia February 14, 2010 at 00:48 #

I love Willow and this collection, hope to see more of her pieces on the red carpet. Wow, you were in the front row – how lucky! Hope you’re having a great time in New York!

• Fashion Critic February 14, 2010 at 02:34 #

busy, but a lot of fun and a lot of great shows

10. ben February 14, 2010 at 02:59 #

Fashion Critic, i cannot thankyou enough for showing Australian designers, it’s so refreshing. thankyou again, have a great time in NYC. i’m sure you’re enjoying yourself!

• Fashion Critic February 14, 2010 at 09:51 #

I’m enjoying myself thank you.

You know during the X Factor Dannii introduced me to so many Australian designers, so it only made me what to discover more.

11. jill (polkadot23) February 14, 2010 at 08:33 #

Hey FC! ; )

LOVE this collection. I didn’t know Willow so thanks to you I’ve learned something new, 1st thing in the morning. Thank your for taking the time to post this so quickly.

I can see what you mean about the black wedges being distracting, but I kind of like it. I’m loving nude so much now, and have been wearing it in winter for years: it’s so refreshing in cold weather.

Speaking of, hope you’re keeping warm & having fun. You’re not missing much in London, it’s dark & cold here, too. Will you be back for LFW? Would love to meet you!

jCx

• Fashion Critic February 14, 2010 at 09:48 #

Hi Jill, we are learning together :)

I will be back for LFW on Monday 22nd.

Send me an email of which shows you are going to and we can meet up if we’re going to the same ones :)

12. Alfredo February 14, 2010 at 11:01 #

Ooooh nice collection, I am getting a Gwyneth Paltrow feeling from it, I can see her in any of these pieces.

13. ullis February 14, 2010 at 11:10 #

did you go the alica+oliva fs?

Sophia Bush was definitely the best dressed there, maybe even the best dress she has worn in a looooong (2009&2010) time!

• Fashion Critic February 14, 2010 at 11:25 #

yes i did

14. Ayvee February 14, 2010 at 15:53 #

Thanks for featuring this designer!

I love all the dresses in the nude colors! So looking forward to a nice spring after all the snow.

Hope you having a great time in NYC, FC!

15. zoe February 15, 2010 at 00:18 #

i absolutely love this collection! i want the pink dress anja rubik is wearing as well as the red peak shouldered dress and the black peak shouldered dress with a sheer yoke and sleves that karlie kloss is wearing. <333