13.02.10

Jason Wu Fall 2010

After the Michael Angel show I had 15 mins to get to Jason Wu’s Fall 2010 presentation. Usually this is plenty of time to get across town, but the traffic was a nightmare – we didn’t move for 10 mins.

When I arrived with Bryan Boy and other late comers we were told that the show was about to start so they wouldn’t let us in.

Then a very dapper Derek Blasberg arrived with Pop Editor Dasha Zhukova. He made one phone call and we all got in.

Oohh to have that much power.

Menswear inspired looks were the surprise on the very long pink runway of Jason Wu’s Fall 2010 presentation, with oversized coats, tapered pants and plaid jackets.

The designer who once told me he’s a very much a girlie girl designer stayed true to his roots presenting sweet, feminine, and playful dresses and gowns.

Feathers is a recurring theme for the designer, and this time we saw them woven into halter dresses and off-the-shoulder dresses.

The invitation for this presentation was dipped in gold, so it wasn’t a surprise to see this also on the runway splattered and applied to several looks.

It was a interesting presentation with a mix of masculine/unpredictable and feminine/predictable pieces.

Did you like the very obvious change in direction?

Here’s my video of the finale. Karlie moves like an elegant swan in her gown.

Amanda Peet and Kerry Washington were in the front row perfectly epitomizing the collection in their contrasting looks.

Credit: Style.com & Wireimage

Michael Angel Fall 2010

Michael Angel Fall 2010

Willow Fall 2010

Willow Fall 2010

14 Responses to Jason Wu Fall 2010

1. serapart February 13, 2010 at 13:48 #

I love this collection, partly because finally we got to see something other than black black black, this collection is perfect for fall along with the warm tones, me loving it!!!

2. mm February 13, 2010 at 14:02 #

I am not getting the warm and fuzzies from this collection. I only liked a few pieces with the gold. It didnt seem cohesive. Maybe that was the point. Have to see some of these pieces off the runway. Did he receive standing ovations and if so for what pieces?

• Fashion Critic February 13, 2010 at 14:09 #

From were I was I couldn’t see. But I from this video I don’t think so

• mm February 13, 2010 at 14:20 #

Thanks for the link. I dont think people were really loving this collection at all. That was a so so applause.

3. mol February 13, 2010 at 17:37 #

A lot of the tailoring seemed poorly done, clunky and not polished – I’m sure there will be some individual pieces find their way onto the red carpet, but overall, I was expecting something more from Wu.

4. Vera February 13, 2010 at 19:33 #

What a waste of fabrics.

5. at February 13, 2010 at 19:57 #

what was Dasha wearing? Are there any pictures?

• Fashion Critic February 14, 2010 at 02:37 #

she was quite laid back in jeans and a furry gilet. No pics

6. keira February 13, 2010 at 22:19 #

i am really surprised-really disappointed by this collection……

7. Faellie February 13, 2010 at 22:38 #

Probably not one for the purists looking for the directional, but the clothes seem wearable without being dull, and I too like the colours. The gold/red dress which is the last of the ten you picture surely has Cate Blanchett’s name on it.

8. Nitasha February 14, 2010 at 04:38 #

This collection is so similar in look and feel to Indian designer Sabyasachi’s clothes, only Sabya does layering and warm/earthy colours wayyyy better. That said, i love Jason Wu. He does something different, and that is always welcome.

9. Alfredo February 14, 2010 at 11:14 #

I like the gold detail and the variation of fabrics, I can totally see Sienna Miller and Anne Hathaway in some of these pieces.

10. gabriel February 15, 2010 at 05:50 #

I feel the execution is lacking, lovely collection though.

11. rosie February 15, 2010 at 17:21 #

Something is missing that’s for sure (or maybe its that nothing is missing and it’s just too much!)… looking at the pictures was quite busy, but I had a little more love for the pieces as presented in the clip