11.02.10

RIP Lee McQueen

On my way to the airport I was informed of the tragic news of Lee (Alexander) McQueen.

I’m actually shaking while typing this in disbelief.

Only one word sprang to mind…Why?

Why would someone so talented, creative and at the top of his game leave us in this tragic way?

Our thoughts and prays are with his family and those who loved him so dearly.

Statement from the Family of Lee McQueen

“On behalf of Lee McQueen’s family, Alexander McQueen today announces the tragic news that
Lee McQueen, the founder and designer of the Alexander McQueen brand has been found dead at his home. At this stage it is inappropriate to comment on this tragic news beyond saying that we are devastated and are sharing a sense of shock and grief with Lee’s family.

Lee’s family has asked for privacy in order to come to terms with this terrible news and we hope the media will respect this.”

Apologies in advance for the posts that will follow this one as they will seem so trivial.

Katie Holmes' Obsession - Chloé Python Marcie Bag

Katie Holmes’ Obsession – Chloé Python Marcie Bag

Runway To amfAR New York Gala To Kick Off Fall 2010 Fashion Week – Chloe Sevigny In Louis Vuitton

89 Responses to RIP Lee McQueen

1. Greta February 11, 2010 at 16:26 #

OMG WHAT A SHAME ! RIP OMG STILL CANT BELIEVE IT :(

2. ImanLover February 11, 2010 at 16:28 #

Absolutely unbelievable.
    It is very sad that the World will no longer be wowed by his newest fashion inventions.
    He was nothing short of a genius.
    My heart goes out to his family and loved ones in this hard time.
    RIP.

• keira February 11, 2010 at 17:20 #

agree to 100 %
      RIP genius

• Kathleen February 12, 2010 at 01:24 #

My love and sympathy goes out to his family and friends. I hope he rests in peace.

3. lucas February 11, 2010 at 16:29 #

RIP

4. K. February 11, 2010 at 16:30 #

i juz couldn’t believe it is true…..

5. Sheena February 11, 2010 at 16:32 #

RIP. He was so talented.

6. SarahV February 11, 2010 at 16:32 #

I cried when I first found out… That is so… unbelievable.
    RIP

7. TLVgirl February 11, 2010 at 16:35 #

What A shock! my heart sank when I heard about this. Alexander Mcqueen was a great man and a true genius. He will be bitterly missed.
    Such a tragic loss.
    RIP

8. mm February 11, 2010 at 16:36 #

This is such sad news! He was so young and so talented. What a huge loss for us all. I just feel for his family and friends.

9. Andrew Mackinnon February 11, 2010 at 16:38 #

WHAT! Seriously! He was the best designer ever to come out of Britain! Even better than Vivienne Westwood!

• mette February 11, 2010 at 18:24 #

I agree! He was so great!!
      The world of fashion has lost a great designer today!

10. Jess February 11, 2010 at 16:41 #

I was very saddened to read of this news too. It is such a great loss, really immeasurable. I believe he had so much more to give. RIP

11. Grace February 11, 2010 at 16:41 #

I read that his mother died just a few days ago.
    It’s still such a waste.
    He was a complete genius.
    R.I.P. AM

• Fashion Critic February 11, 2010 at 16:46 #

really? wow. even more tragic

• Barbara February 11, 2010 at 16:49 #

yes.i read that it was the reason why he kill himself…

• SarahV February 11, 2010 at 17:06 #

I read that too… Sad.

12. candice February 11, 2010 at 16:42 #

i am in absolute shock as well…i can’t blv this is true. why? why? why?

CC

13. Ivanna February 11, 2010 at 16:42 #

I’m shocked and saddened such a brillant talent, I was just reading this on the daily mail, apparently he’s been having trouble coping since the loss of his mum last Tuesday! thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

14. alyss February 11, 2010 at 16:43 #

I refused to believe it when I first heard it.
    He has been my favourite designer since I was 13- so for almost six yers now- and you feel like you know the person behind these wondeful designs.
    I feel so sorry for his friends and family. RIP.

• Fashion Critic February 11, 2010 at 16:45 #

I refused too. I called about 5 different people to confirm

15. Barbara February 11, 2010 at 16:43 #

i still cant believe it.its just so…unbelievable that we´ll never gonna see his collection again..i know,its not just about fashion,its about life of genius,but for the fashion world its just…undescribable ..

16. camila February 11, 2010 at 16:44 #

totally in shock, what a shame. RIP MR. MCQUEEN

17. ACRYLIQUE February 11, 2010 at 16:45 #

So sad. :(

18. robbie February 11, 2010 at 16:47 #

RIP to a seriously talented and creative man.

he wasnt just a designer he was an artist, ever piece he created was a work of art. sadly this just goes to show you could be on the top of the world and seem happy but deep down your not. there is alot of conflicting reports but he lost his mum a week ago according to some newspapers so that might be to do with it.

he was one of the greatest designers to grace the catwalk, not only in the UK but in the whole world.

i hope they will still show his collection as a tribute to him.

• Fashion Critic February 11, 2010 at 16:52 #

I’m sure they will show his last collection

• ber February 11, 2010 at 17:00 #

That’s going to be an emotional showing.

19. Natasa February 11, 2010 at 16:50 #

I am very regret, Alexander McQueen did such unusual collection, every collections was that new and fresh but now we have not see him new collection, I cry and cry.

20. Mea February 11, 2010 at 16:50 #

I have just read the news on my msn page and I’m shocked… My support goes to his family in this tragic time.

21. Jenny February 11, 2010 at 16:50 #

I was crying for about an hour after I found out. This is so sad :(

R.I.P. Lee Alexander McQueen. I hope he is in a better place now.

22. Alena February 11, 2010 at 16:53 #

This is surreal….

23. Alice[*] February 11, 2010 at 16:55 #

It’s so sad,I can’t believe that we have lost a genius like him.

24. Swatky February 11, 2010 at 16:56 #

RIP Lee… :-(
    The world of fashion will indeed miss you… :-(

25. Shoshanna February 11, 2010 at 16:58 #

Urgh, awful news!

26. Palm LOpez February 11, 2010 at 17:00 #

RIP :( …!

27. gasp February 11, 2010 at 17:00 #

We will all miss him so much.. He was the reason why I’ve always dreamt St.Martin’s school.. He was a Genius.. I’m shocked..

28. MEME February 11, 2010 at 17:04 #

OMG…. OMG…. I can’t…. TODAY!!!!!!!!…… WHY!!!!!!!….. I was just talkin’ about him the other day….

29. Vera February 11, 2010 at 17:04 #

I remember once being asked Alexander told his label would gone with him – he cannot imagine anyone as a creative designer of ‘Alexander McQueen’.

Hope GUCCI group will respect him closing the business having released the Fall collection.

So bad news…

30. Stuti February 11, 2010 at 17:04 #

He was so talented, so creative. Am in shock, truly. And this couldn’t have come at a worse time.

31. shubby doo February 11, 2010 at 17:09 #

I saw it on the BBC website about an hour ago and suddenly i screamed out ‘no’ loudly at work. shock doesnt cover this. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

RIP Lee. your creative talent will be missed.

Love Shubby Doo

32. rosie February 11, 2010 at 17:15 #

It saddens me to think he may not have known how adored, relevant and inspirational he was. RIP

• Stuti February 11, 2010 at 18:14 #

My thoughts exactly.

33. Elise February 11, 2010 at 17:18 #

I’m shocked. He was one of my favorites designer.
    I can’t imagine the fashion world without him. I can’t realize that I will never see new collection from this amazing designer.
    I am so sad, we will mis him

34. barbara February 11, 2010 at 17:24 #

R.I.P… the loneliness of the genius once again.

35. jamie lynn February 11, 2010 at 17:27 #

oh how terrible! immediately so many people in the industry spring to mind that will be deeply affected by this. what a tragedy. i hope he is at peace. <3

36. Chiara February 11, 2010 at 17:27 #

no words…it’s incredible…fashion has lost one of the biggest genius :-(

37. kco8489 February 11, 2010 at 17:28 #

I just hope that he is with his mother, in a better place. My thoughts and prayers are with his family during this difficult time.

38. Amy February 11, 2010 at 17:29 #

People find it so hard to believe that someone who is rich and successful can kill themselves. Just because you have fame etc doesn’t mean you are happy. Everyone has their own demons and sadly Alexander McQueen was one of those people.

He is the best British designer out there. Simple as.

39. nicole February 11, 2010 at 17:35 #

RIP so tragic. truly a loss to the fashion world.

40. mol February 11, 2010 at 17:54 #

More than just clothes, his was fashion as a whole conceptual package, fashion as performance art, as in his spring 2010 show where his models appear as hybrid human/animal beings, trapped under the eyes of the surveillance cameras rolling up and down the stage – he made your imagination swirl, every show left you transfixed…..a true artist and a sad sad loss, RIP.

41. Ally February 11, 2010 at 17:59 #

It is so strange how someone you don’t even really know can touch your life that way. Of course I didn’t know him personally, but I have been so upset all morning about the loss of such a wonderfully talented man. I have been so looking forward to seeing his new collection and now it will be so bittersweet. But I am also sure that his influence on other designers (especially Christian Siriano) will live on.

42. sue February 11, 2010 at 18:07 #

This loss is going to have an impact on the world of fashion in a major. May his soul rest in peace. An inspiration to all.

43. Lexa February 11, 2010 at 18:19 #

OMG! That’s so tragic!
    He was one of the greatest designers. Trully talented with great imagination. What a great loss to the fashion world! :(
    RIP Mr McQueen!

44. Little J February 11, 2010 at 18:20 #

He was the reason I studied fashion design. He was so inspirational, a visionary. A legend in every sense of the word has left us. R.I.P

45. serapart February 11, 2010 at 18:23 #

I´m still in shock …

46. Ashleeta February 11, 2010 at 18:34 #

i am devastated!

47. nisha February 11, 2010 at 18:36 #

R.I.P alexander mcqueen. so sad to here. a tragic loss in so many ways.thanks for posting

48. wilwarin February 11, 2010 at 18:39 #

i don’t believe it… RIP…

49. T. February 11, 2010 at 18:45 #

Surreal, like his designs.
    I’m shocked, he was so talented & creative…hope he’s in a better place now.
    RIP

50. Lorraine February 11, 2010 at 18:45 #

I’m honestly in complete shock about this. I had to re-read the headline on Google news about four times before it sank in :(

So tragic for one so unbelievably talented to be gone so young.

The world became a less colourful place today.

RIP.

51. Darling February 11, 2010 at 18:45 #

It’s an unbearable loss and u’re right, it feels trivial and hard to publish usual posts after this news((

52. kat February 11, 2010 at 18:55 #

I still can’t believe it!!! He was true genius with such a great imagination, his designs were unrivalled for me… We will miss you… RIP :(

53. Spanish lover February 11, 2010 at 20:02 #

It’s a tragedy. What a great loss. RIP.

54. Lily February 11, 2010 at 20:12 #

OMG. This is so sad!! I heard that his mother died a few days ago, and now him. :( R.I.P

55. Taylor February 11, 2010 at 20:25 #

Wow. I seriously started crying when I heard about this. HE WAS A GENIUS! He never even got to show us his Fall 2010 collection. At least his last colletion was a great way to remember him by. It seems weird to miss a guy I never knew, but he was an idol. RIP, you crazy wonderful man. :”((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

56. Lala/S-R February 11, 2010 at 20:51 #

I was in shock when I heard this morning. So tragic. May his soul R.I.P. The music industry has lost a powerhouse. Darnit A Mc.

• Lala/S-R February 12, 2010 at 01:49 #

fashion* Great, just great! Took away from my entire statement!!!!! Music industry was on my mind. smh

57. Thomas Monks February 11, 2010 at 20:57 #

Alexander McQueen was one of the reasons I have devided to go into editorial hopeing that one day I would be lucky enough to work with him but his desgins will always be in the back of my mind this is so sad he truely was on the the fashon desginers that would and porbably will be on the same fame as dior and chanel.

RIP Alexander McQueen

58. lara February 11, 2010 at 21:01 #

Such sad news. Mr McQueen was such a talented man and a standout in the fashion world who will be greatly missed. No doubt his stunning designs will be an amazing lasting legacy. RIP.

59. Katey February 11, 2010 at 21:12 #

I’m Shocked. He was my favourite designer. I can’t believe this…

60. MissMarlboroLites February 11, 2010 at 21:26 #

Very sad. I just read an interview with him yesterday in LOVE magazine. For all the extravagance of his shows, he seemed really down to earth. RIP.

61. Glinda February 11, 2010 at 21:37 #

This so sad. I’ve thrown all off track today thinking about it – and I didn’t even know him personally! So much love to his friends and family. I know they must be reeling right now.

Viva the House of McQueen!

62. Rebecca February 11, 2010 at 21:41 #

I can’t believe it. One of the most incredible fashion designers of this generation is gone. I’m sure his final collection will be amazing though and so emotional.

RIP

63. Talita February 11, 2010 at 22:56 #

May he rest in peace. So sad…

64. Leelah February 11, 2010 at 23:41 #

OMG… I had goosebumps reading this… hate stories like this first thing in the morning (Australia).
    So horrible, RIP

65. Cassiie February 11, 2010 at 23:50 #

He was one of my favourite designers and so talentedd ): I heard it over the radio this morning and I was in complete shock.

RIP Alexander Mcqueen

66. Ella February 12, 2010 at 00:00 #

I think everybody who follows fashion is in shock at this awful death. Hearing it on the morning news, all I could say was “oh God”.

It’s sad enough to lose any celebrity, but when it’s somebody with an explosive talent like Lee it’s awful. Not only are we losing him as a person, we are losing his talent and the brilliant artistry we would have seen much more of if he had lived a full life. It’s like a double blow.

RIP Lee.

67. Sue Jin February 12, 2010 at 00:23 #

I read this news this morning and I couldn’t believe my eyes. I had to read several more articles to get it through my head that it actually happened. What a terribly loss to the fashion world. He was a very talented man and I believe everyone can agree that he will be missed very much.
    My condolences go out to his loved ones.
    RIP<3

68. Alexandra February 12, 2010 at 00:32 #

most devastating news. although I didn’t know him personally it somehow hurts so much :(

69. Ij February 12, 2010 at 03:11 #

Im completely in disbelief he IS my favorite designer and I cantrbelieve a man of such fashion genius would kill himself. Well God Be with him.

70. Kimmy February 12, 2010 at 04:18 #

Why McQueen? WHY? What will we do without you?

71. thKing February 12, 2010 at 07:21 #

luv his works , he was so amazign and talented. R.I.P McQueen

72. Martin February 12, 2010 at 12:46 #

Waited a while before posting on this thread – too distressed. Not quite sure what to say yet, apart from the fact that he was a true visionary, a designer whose aesthetic will never be replicated again.

I, for one, don’t want to see his final fall 2010 collection. McQueen was a perfectionist, and I doubt that he would have wanted a collection that was only 70% or 80% completed to be presented on the runway as his final work. And any analysis of the final collection will be impossible to separate from the circumstances of his death anyway.

I say we honour him by appreciating the body of work he has already presented, culminating in his extraordinary, earth-shattering Spring 2010 collection. We will never see the likes of him again.

• Fashion Critic February 12, 2010 at 13:03 #

With every collection I appreciated his work and genius more and more.

His Fall 2010 collection was one I was very much looking forward to and after his death that has only increased.

I do agree with other that have said No one should continue to work on his label as No one has his vision

73. Martin February 12, 2010 at 13:10 #

Oh, I am in complete agreement. I’ve spent most of the day trawling through the collections he has presented over the past ten years or so and it has completely convinced me that the Alexander McQueen label should pass with the designer’s passing. R.I.P. McQueen.

74. Mermaid February 12, 2010 at 16:04 #

I have worn one of his skull scarves today to pay him a homage… RIP Lee, we love you and miss you!

75. Boeshane February 12, 2010 at 16:08 #

I was about to post a comment to ask you to tell me this was just another rumor. It’s so terrible, I can’t believe it.

76. Ksenia February 14, 2010 at 23:47 #

F-K’N genius. Why do they all have to die so d’n young?

Pushkin, Motzart, Keats….and now Alexander McQueen. No fair.

77. mahsa February 15, 2010 at 16:32 #

i feel sooooooo sad he was the reason i luv fashion :((((((((((((