Runway To Sidewalk – Mary Kate Olsen In Lanvin

I’m not sure if I said this before, but when it comes to the Olsen twins I just don’t get the appeal.

I never have and I guess I never will.

When I see Mary Kate Olsen wearing this beautiful Lanvin Fall 2009 coat I feel physical pain.

Pain that she destroyed such a classic piece and made it look like she picked it up in the “get it before it goes” section and Topshop after it has been dragged through the store for half a season.

I don’t think I can look at this coat with the same affection after this.

The coat is just way too big for her and she’s way too short for it.

Her look is paired with a Balenciaga bag and Lanvin ankle boots.

Credit: Style.com & INFDaily

Scarlett Johansson For Mango Spring 2010

Scarlett Johansson For Mango Spring 2010

In Jennifer Garner's Closet - Oscar de la Renta Tweed Dress

In Jennifer Garner’s Closet – Oscar de la Renta Tweed Dress

35 Responses to Runway To Sidewalk – Mary Kate Olsen In Lanvin

1. lauren February 5, 2010 at 12:08 #

i love the olsens (specifically ashely) but i totally agree with you! mary kate is performing a criminal act by what she is doing to this coat! maybe she needs to accept she’s 5,1 and choose things that fit her a little better …

2. beatriz duarte February 5, 2010 at 12:29 #

I don’t get the Olsen Twins and ther wecky style. The big bag, the coat, this boots, the hair, the glasses… what has she been smoking?

3. Lee-Shay February 5, 2010 at 13:06 #

The Olsen Twins should design a children’s line… and wear it themselves lol

4. Ally February 5, 2010 at 13:08 #

I will never understand the appeal of carrying a bag that you would actually fit inside of, unless it is luggage…

5. Jane February 5, 2010 at 13:14 #

I have to say, I probably wouldn’t have recognised the coat as Lanvin without you pointing it out…it looks like it’s been balled up, thrown into a corner and left for a few weeks. When I was a kid and looking raggedy, my mother would tell me that I looked like a sack of potatoes tied in the middle. Case in point.

• bettybrandenburg February 5, 2010 at 13:22 #

I agree with Jane – are you sure it’s the same coat? Dreadful….

• Fashion Critic February 5, 2010 at 13:33 #

• bettybrandenburg February 5, 2010 at 14:40 #

Can’t get over it. I find it so disrespectful of the designer, too…

• Hannah February 6, 2010 at 20:29 #

it’s quite clearly the same coat…just look at the shoulders and the bit under the waist

6. mm February 5, 2010 at 13:23 #

Yuck! The coat is so wrinkled. On rare occassions the bag ladies actually go from looking like homeless folk to cute young women. Very rare though

• Flutterbang February 6, 2010 at 07:51 #

Lol, bag ladies. That’s so what they are.

7. Elise February 5, 2010 at 13:29 #

What a shame. The coat looks awful on her, although I loved it on the runway. She make it looks cheap.

8. Davor February 5, 2010 at 13:37 #

This post and comments in it are so amazing and I just can’t stop laughing. I will never understand the style sense of Olsen twins because everything is always too big or too long or even most exepensive pieces look like homeless people outfits. Look at the photo of this coat on the runway where this is one classy, timeless piece and then look at the photo of Mary Kate. I just don’t understand and I think I never will.

9. wilwarin February 5, 2010 at 13:38 #

crazy granny attacks again!!!

10. robbie February 5, 2010 at 14:42 #

mary kate and ashley we know you are both extremely skinny, there is no need to buy clothes that are about 5 sizes yoo big for you to prove it.

they always look like old witched the way they dress and they way they do their hair.

11. Lizzie February 5, 2010 at 14:43 #

I don’t like the Olsen Twin’s style full stop. It’s a bit too whacky and “way out” for me. I prefer a much more classy type look, but maybe that’s just because I am getting old! LOL!

12. lstp0136 February 5, 2010 at 15:04 #

it is almost magical how she is able to turn this beautiful and elegant piece into a trashy coat.

13. mol February 5, 2010 at 15:29 #

Sometimes I like the twins, sometimes I don’t – this is one of those times I don’t! You are completely right to call this out F.C. – it is tragic what Mary Kate has done to this gorgeous coat! And that Balenciaga bag is definitely looking well worn……

14. T February 5, 2010 at 16:50 #

i love the olsens no matter what they wear – ill always love them – and by the way i love the way she wore the dress she give it a bit of character

15. ~**juDee**~ February 5, 2010 at 16:53 #

My Lord, she cannot be that short, can she??? gosh!
    i must admit, in the past i did obsess over her somewhat.
    Then i realised theres just something about her that just grates me. She keeps coming with the same look over and over again. She needs to throw her shoulders back, tidy-up her hair and stop wearing such baggy clothes. She just seems frightened and im pretty sure she’s not.
    Mary-kate darling it won’t kill you to exude some confidence once in a while just to keep us interested. Crimony!

• Georgia Maude February 5, 2010 at 22:43 #

I’m fairly certain they’re not even 5 feet tall.

16. evanthe February 5, 2010 at 18:14 #

you’d think with all the money she has, idk, MAYBE SHE CAN HIRE A TAILOR.

i know she likes to dress wacky and big, but this has.. crossed the line.

17. bitsy February 5, 2010 at 19:39 #

it might look different without the bags. the coat looks like it’s meant to have huge oversized hips, which are being squashed.

18. Sharon February 5, 2010 at 21:12 #

I guess there’s no gray area with the Olsens – you either love their style or hate it. Especially with this beautiful design, I’ve got to come down on the “hate it” side. Is the child just hoping to gain attention by shocking us, or does she really think hers is an improvement?

19. advo88 February 5, 2010 at 22:46 #

I have NEVER understood the fashion appeal when it comes to the Olsen twins. Both dress hideously if you ask me. Their clothes lines are pretty good, though way over-priced. They are on the front row and gets to pick and choose, and they can literally afford anything they want and yet they still manage to dress like the lady collecting garbage – WTF? But what’s more mind-blowing is how they are considered “style icons”. REALLY?!!!!

20. Nuria February 6, 2010 at 10:19 #

Totally agree!!! The coat is waaaayyy too long for her… and the bag looks like a huge travel bag on her too…

21. Hannah February 6, 2010 at 20:28 #

they are fashion road=kill

22. mochababe73 February 6, 2010 at 23:30 #

I don’t get the appeal either. Only an Olsen twin could make a beautiful suit looks like trash. Did she pluck the dress right off the model? It’s waaaaaay too big.

• mochababe73 February 6, 2010 at 23:31 #

oops. I meant to say coat.

23. LZ February 7, 2010 at 09:09 #

OMG!!! How to destroy a massive coat!!!
    I don’t like the Olsen twins at all… too trash, too america (sorry!) and too commercial to be true!!
    And there is people who compare them to VICTORIA God BECKHAM!! With wich heart?!?!?

24. JJ February 7, 2010 at 15:24 #

one word: DISASTER.

25. Kel February 9, 2010 at 21:48 #

The hunched shoulders don’t help.
    She looks like a bag lady, is there a shopping trolley with all her belongings just out the shot.
    I agree the coat looks tres-chic on the catwalk, shame.

26. Katie February 10, 2010 at 14:56 #

FC i have to totally agree with you about the Olsen twins, i do not get it about them whatsoever.If they were not famous at times i could barely differentiate between them and a homeless person!

• Fashion Critic February 10, 2010 at 15:08 #

I would find it hard to differentiate too.

27. kristina February 11, 2010 at 13:03 #

okay , now girl is short, okay …but what the heck ? does it really mean that she shouldn’t wear this coat? …people come on, its her money, her clothing (that most of u envy her for) …she can do whatever she wants….i’m sure you’ve heard that many times, but its true, leave the girl alone!!!!!!!!