Vanity Fair’s Hollywood Issue March 2010

Annie Leibovitz captured Vanity Fair’s hottest up and coming actresses for its annual “Hollywood Issue.”

The cover has caused much controversy as their isn’t any women of colour included in the line up.

People are questioning the exclusion of Gabby Sidibe – who does appear in this issue – and Zoe Saldana – who has appeared on the cover of the 2008 Hollywood Issue.

Abbie Cornish, Kristen Stewart and Carey Mulligan make the cover, whilst Amanda Seyfried (wearing Rupert Sanderson Saddled O’s brogues, Rebecca Hall, Mia Wasikowska, Emma Stone, Evan Rachel Wood, and Anna Kendrick make up the fold.

I love the relaxed nature of the cover, but I love the shot of the actresses below wearing nude or neutral colours of Dior, J.Mendel, Blumarine, Chado Ralph Rucci and Luisa Beccaria.

You can read some extracts from the feature here, or you can buy the magazine when it hits newsstands on Feb. 9.

Credit: Style.com & Vanity Fair

Jennifer Lopez For Vogue US April 2012

Jennifer Lopez For Vogue US April 2012

Victoria Beckham For Glamour US March 2010

Victoria Beckham For Glamour US March 2010

36 Responses to Vanity Fair’s Hollywood Issue March 2010

1. noodles February 2, 2010 at 16:47 #

Why is kristen stewart on this cover??? She is hardly ”new hollywood”. Evan rachel wood aswell. Stupid vanity fair.

• Guilianna Vaughn February 2, 2010 at 17:18 #

I actually dont think any of the girls are “new hollywood” besides Mia and Carey, as the rest have been around and had buzz around them for a couple years now. I just think its the group of girls that have the most critical buzz around them right now and who directors want to work with the most. (Big shame that Gabby and Zoe not included)

But i undertand why each made cover. Anna has been gettting glowing reviews for her performance in Up In the Air and just got an oscar nom this morning for her performance and is in anticipated Scout/Pilgrim movie. Kristen just got rave reviews from both Welcome to the Rileys performance and Runaways performance at Sundance and Roger Ebert just called her the next important young actress after seeing her in Welcome to the Rileys. Amanda is in the upcoming thriller with Chloe with Juliane Moore and also another upcoming movie with Vanessa Redgrave. Rebecca Hall is staring in the Ben Affleck movie and ever since Vicki Christina Barcelona has been garnering tons of buzz. Evan Rachel Wood was just in the buzzed about Woody Allen movie and will be on broadway soon.

I love the choices. I think all the girls have had legitimate critical buzz and are really who the industry is buzzing about. However, I hate the lack of diversity. I cant believe Gabby and Zoe werent included

• annasaurus February 2, 2010 at 17:24 #

If you’re going to bash Kristen Stewart, you might as well bash Amanda Seyfried as well because she was also on the cover with Kristen in the New Wave of Hollywood issue.

• robbie February 2, 2010 at 19:15 #

kristen stewart is on the cover for a simple reason, twilight having someone from that movie will no doubt get tweens rushing out to buy it.

most of them arent even new hollywood, to be honest the only ones who are new hollywood is carey, anna and mia.

• Thomas Monks February 3, 2010 at 02:51 #

The issue is about the biggest stars of the moment not “New Hollywood” Vanity Fair does do a “New Hollywood” issue but this is not it this issue celebrates the “IT” people of the moment and yes it is a shame that Zoe and Gabby are not on the cover or in Zoes case featured

2. Guilianna Vaughn February 2, 2010 at 17:05 #

I love the cover!! Amanda Seyfried, Emma Stone, and Kristen Stewart look especially stunning!

Do you know what designer makes the blouse/shorts combo Kristen is wearing on the cover? I love it! And fits her perfectly

• a February 2, 2010 at 18:20 #

the grey shorts is from Yves Saint Laurent ss10 collection.

3. Lala/S-R February 2, 2010 at 17:08 #

I’m not impressed with the line of for a number of reasons. One is just too obvious…At least the dresses are lovely.

4. justme February 2, 2010 at 17:20 #

How exactly does Abbie qualify as YOUNG Hollywood? And what’s up with the repeats? Evan was on that cover a few years back and both Amanda & Kristen were on last year’s edition yet they’re still up-and-comers? And they have got to be kidding me with Emma Stone. Has she done anything since Superbad?
    Aww Vanity Fair never change :D

The cover is pretty boring imo but I like the inside shot. The dresses look heavenly specially that Chado Ralph Rucci one.

• Fashion Critic February 2, 2010 at 17:30 #

I didn’t realise there were so many repeats

• Shoshanna February 8, 2010 at 12:48 #

Emma Stone was in Zombieland and she was great!

5. chechu February 2, 2010 at 17:28 #

I love the cover, I love how kristen dressed very much to his style …

6. mm February 2, 2010 at 17:32 #

Great cover. I am big fan i Vanity Fair. I raised that question to Vanity Fair also were are the women of color. The people featured arent all that new. The only thing i can think of is that all the women featured are 28 and under. And Zoe Saldana is 32. But where are the women of color under 30 who have been in just as many or more great films then some of these women such as Keke Palmer, Jurnee Smollett and Megan Good.

• annasaurus February 2, 2010 at 17:53 #

Besides Akeelah and the Bee, most ppl would consider Keke Palmer to not be a movie actress like the rest of these young women. And I really haven’t evben heard of Jurnee Smollett and Megan Good.

• mm February 2, 2010 at 18:37 #

I am not undestanding why KeKe wouldnt be considered a movie actress. Jurnee Smollett is from the Great Debaters. i have never heard of some of these women featured on this cover. But now i have based on this exposure alone, i am sure i will see their films and they are probably really talented. So Vanity Fair is saying the New hollywood for 2010 doesnt include any women of color. Interesting

7. BC2DR Brand February 2, 2010 at 17:38 #

This is the 2010, new decade issue, why not find one more lady for at least the cover to make it a full 10 instead of nine, I think that would have completed the theme perfectly.

• annasaurus February 2, 2010 at 17:54 #

With the way that the magazine cover folds, they wanted 3 per fold.

• BC2DR Brand February 2, 2010 at 19:07 #

It looks to be the way they went, which I guess overall looks good. Was just thinking doing it with 10 would have added a deeper meaning. :)

8. Tania February 2, 2010 at 17:42 #

This is the Hollywood Issue–Kristen and amanda appeared in a 2008 cover with an article on young not new hollywood so they are not repeats to The Hollywood issue. Also they are using term New Hollywood as is these are the new go to actresses, like Reese, gwenyth were the go to girls a few years ago. so not new as in never seen before but thier start status is new.
    Emma Stone was in this years sleeper hit Zombieland so yeah she did something after Superbad.

9. a February 2, 2010 at 18:27 #

this is random but can u believe kristen’s only 19… im actually older than her 0.o
    and i love this shoot.. so dreamy..

10. Mallory February 2, 2010 at 18:57 #

I’m really liking those two short pixie cuts. But seriously, Vanity Fair, as we all know by reading the ever fabulous redcarpet-fashionawards, this is a completely unfair representation of Hollywood’s ‘hottest up and coming actresses’. I mean, are we just going to ignore the acting chops of Miley Cyrus??

• Fashion Critic February 2, 2010 at 18:59 #

:D LOL

11. Ling February 2, 2010 at 19:55 #

Everyone else has pretty much said what exactly what I was thinking about the lineup, glad to see I’m not the only one!! Much prefer the picture of them in the gowns to the cover (except Kristen Stewart sticks out like a sore thumb) but I so prefer the cover with Zoe Saldana – I just love the colours in that shot!

12. wilwarin February 2, 2010 at 19:59 #

they all look really beautiful, but my eyes stopped on Emma Stone, she looks exquisite in that orange dress… i also love how Evan Rachel Wood looks here, i definitely prefer her blond.

13. Matt February 2, 2010 at 21:05 #

Kristen Stewart ruins everything, look at her, she looks like that one sibling who would always ruin the family portrait.

• Lee-Shay February 3, 2010 at 09:17 #

LOL true

14. Chiara February 2, 2010 at 22:06 #

I like the cover and the dresses too but I think it’s too bad they stuck to 3 main designers… I wish they would have been more diversity.

15. Willa February 2, 2010 at 22:33 #

Carey Mulligan always has the goofiest/weirdest looks on her face in magazine spreads. She’s great on camera, but horrible in print.

Freida Pinto should’ve been a shoo-in for this cover. She would satisfy the “token minority” slot that Vanity Fair usually has, would’ve been the first Indian (Zhang Ziyi was the first, and only, Asian on the cover, though not even on the cover as she was in the fold-out part), she’s thin and beautiful, and she has some big movies coming out this year.

16. Alice February 3, 2010 at 02:26 #

Wow. Stewart over Saldana? That’s terrible. She’s acted in, what, Twilight? Saldana was in Star Trek and Avatar.

17. nicky February 3, 2010 at 07:29 #

stunning cover and dresses!
    abbie cornish looks so beautiful and i love tht dior dress.

18. sara February 3, 2010 at 12:26 #

wow i really like those pictures, especially the second, and abbie in that dior dress is gorgeous!
    plus i really like how they put one brunette/one blond/one redhead in every group(ok mia isn’t really a redhead..), i think it’s cute!
    and i agree with everyone else..kristen st. is really ruining the whole thing with her “i’m so bored to be here” expressions…

19. Sheri February 3, 2010 at 20:14 #

Amanda is so beautiful, like a doll. Kristen Stewart looks so moody all the time. We get it, you’re a troubled person with a lot of attention you don’t want. Being aloof doesn’t make you cool, get a new stylist and put a smile on that face, not everything in life has to be super meaningful to you, sometimes it’s just fun to dress up!

20. Ahot February 4, 2010 at 13:50 #

I do understand that”exoctic” actresses Like Zoe, Gaby,Zhang or Freida would have stand out too much (just referring to the 2008 issue)
    Welcome to reality, where talent doesn´t pay well, but a big shrieking fanbase does.

21. Jim February 15, 2010 at 22:59 #

Dakota Fanning is more stunning and more talented than all these actresses. Why is Dakota not on this Vanity Fair cover?

22. NyLeah February 27, 2010 at 03:18 #

Where’s the diversity? There is not only a lack of ethnic diversity but a lack of diversity in size as well. I find it quite baffling that this is what a great magazine came up with for it’s Hollywood issue. No disrespect to the stars that graced the cover, but there are definitely other stars who just as deserving if not more.