Alexa Chung Front Row @ Chanel’s Spring 2010 Couture Show

For those of you who don’t know, I’m a massive fan of British television presenter Alexa Chung. You can imagine the looks of disappointment I get from FC when I tell her this.

I love the way she channels preppy chic so well. So I should love this Chanel Spring 2010 cream suit on her. But I don’t.

I think I just hoped she might look a bit smarter at Haute Couture Fashion Week and instead she has worn her suit with grey, bobbly looking tights and Chanel Spring 2010 clogs.

She is the only star to have worn this look with the clogs as seen on the runway and whilst this doesn’t surprise me, I would have much preferred them with a bare leg. Although it’s very cold in Paris.

I’m not really sure what’s going on with the bag either. It looks like an old gym kit bag.

Credit: Style.com & Wireimage

Poppy Delevingne & Alexa Chung for THE EDIT

Poppy Delevingne & Alexa Chung for THE EDIT

Amber Rose Front Row @ Chanel's Spring 2010 Couture Show

Amber Rose Front Row @ Chanel’s Spring 2010 Couture Show

16 Responses to Alexa Chung Front Row @ Chanel’s Spring 2010 Couture Show

1. Terry January 27, 2010 at 11:32 #

Those clogs kill the lovely suit. Hideous.

2. Shoshanna January 27, 2010 at 11:53 #

I actually really like this look. The clogs are daring, but she pulls it off.

3. Leo January 27, 2010 at 11:56 #

I like evertything but the clogs. Clogs should be banned from existence along with bandage dresses.

4. B January 27, 2010 at 12:07 #

Welcome, friends, to: How to sabotage a perfectly nice dress: 101.
    We’ll start by discussing just how impossibly ugly high heeled clogs are, before moving on to how a ratty haircut and sloppy styling can depress others around you.

Heheh, sorry Sophie, I’m just not such a fan of Alexa! Although, comparing this to the Amber Rose fiasco you’ve just brought to our attention…

• Sophie January 27, 2010 at 17:30 #

Ha ha! Yes, Alexa’s fashion faux pas seems pale in comparison to Amber’s! :)

5. Jasmine January 27, 2010 at 12:30 #

As a Chung follower, you should hardly be surprised that she hasn’t dressed smartly. Smart and Alexa are two words that do not go together. What was it she said in Vogue? She likes girls who look like they’re more likely to steal your handbag than your boyfriend. Or something like that.

6. Rosie January 27, 2010 at 15:33 #

Perhaps not event appropriate, but I really like the mix of textures she incorporates as well as the color palette. I really admire the way she makes fashion pieces her own

7. bettybrandenburg January 27, 2010 at 15:57 #

Please, somebody give that girl something to eat!

8. ~**juDee**~ January 27, 2010 at 23:16 #

i just dont get it! i just don’t understand how she has such a massive style fan base…..she dresses and poses like a little girl! shes in her early/mid twenties for goodness sake. alexa, ur not 13 anymore darling. get over it! what’s with the bag and the non-impressive hair cut?? i just don’t get it….my annoyance with the obsession with alexa chung’s style is on par with the continued production of kitten heels.
    rant over :)

• Fashion Critic January 27, 2010 at 23:40 #

I’m on your side. I’ve tried to convert Sophie, but she won’t budge. :)

9. SarahV January 27, 2010 at 23:29 #

…am I crazy for ONLY liking the clogs?

• S February 23, 2010 at 13:50 #

no, i generally like them too :L im hoping to maybe bag a pair from topshop, for £70, or copies somewhere.

10. S February 23, 2010 at 13:49 #

personally, i think whoever states that this is a bad look, fair enough, your opinion – the clogs are daring, not necessarily lady gaga daring, but nonetheless, different (however, they’re destined to be the next ‘in’ shoe, i wont be surprised if you all turn hypercritical and start wearing them.) as the look is different, a lot of people would love, a lot would hate and a lot just wouldn’t know. i for one, LOVE this look, yes, i am an Alexa fan (huge, may i add) but, despite the fact that it is my idol, she generally pulls this off well, i have been in awe at this for a while now, and yes, i suppose it being on Alexa does play a part in it, not in a biased way, in a sense that, she pulls this look off because of her personality, her effortless look, because its what Alexa does. i adore this, but this is just my opinion.
    HOWEVER, whoever says Alexa Chung cant dress, etc, clearly doesn’t belong anywhere near ANY fashion site, giving their opinion, as she has been labeled the London ‘it’ girl, and the most stylish woman in the world, at this moment.

• Fashion Critic February 23, 2010 at 13:53 #

I won’t be wearing clogs. That’s for damn sure

• s February 26, 2010 at 21:06 #

not necessarily you, but plenty will. i remember coming to school wearing a high waisted black body-con skirt and brogues, everyone asked ‘what the f- are you wearing? what have you got on your feet?’ month or so later, practically half the school wears high waisted body-con skirts and brogues. daring move, like the clogs. yes, its not everyone’s favourite, but i think she couldve done ALOT worse. you must admit her colour scheming was brilliant, perhaps the tights weren’t the best texture against the dress, however that could just be the lighting/angle/photo, i have seen many photos of this outfit and it generally looks better in those. comparing her to the model, she pulls it off better, as in more wearable, more casual yet for a formal occasion and it looks alot less processed and more natural. if anything was a mistake, it was her bag, but I’m sure if she held it closer to her, it’d look better, not if she held it so posed for the picture. that surprisingly does make a difference :L

again, the clogs. different, but she pulls it off. i don’t think they are the worst shoes – definitely not platforms, but not crocs either. they’re an in between shoe – aspects of love, aspects of hate, and you just have to choose which side you are going to rest upon. i think the clogs were a good choice, honestly, do you see this outfit working any other way? platforms? – no, too contemporary. classic black heels? – too basic and classical, not the right formal event. flats? – just, no – perhaps, but this really looks better with a heel.

PERHAPS, brogue heels, brown little ankle brogue lace up heeled booties – yes, that’d be lovely. but remember this was just after SS10 Paris fashion week, and everyone in the media tries out the new styles to see who suits it best, who gets there first, to make a statement, to show they know whats in etc.

basically, we must all face it, love them or hate them, the clogs are in style this season.

just thank goodness they aren’t crocs :|

11. s March 15, 2010 at 07:24 #

oh, and may i back that all up by stating that i see this picture of her, in this outfit, in practically every magazine as a fashionable example of what is ‘in’ and how to wear clogs. etc.

blatently a great outfit, otherwise why would people, the people who are fashion literate, may i add – use it as an example?