25.01.10 In Her Closet

Alex Curran: Fashion’s Biggest Hypocrite

“Balmain’s prices are absolutely ridiculous”.

Alex Curran quote from Vogue January 2010

Approximate cost of her Balmain pieces – £27,000.

What a hypocrite.

Credit: Style.com, Mercury & Wireimage

Who Wore Balenciaga Better? Salma Hayek or Meryl Streep

Who Wore Balenciaga Better? Salma Hayek or Meryl Streep

2010 NRJ Music Awards - Rihanna In Jean Paul Gaultier Couture

2010 NRJ Music Awards – Rihanna In Jean Paul Gaultier Couture

54 Responses to Alex Curran: Fashion’s Biggest Hypocrite

1. Terry January 25, 2010 at 12:38 #

She should shut up, since she’s got the money to buy Balmain clothes and since she actually wore Balmain in several occasions. I don’t get the reason of her remark. Does she want to sympathize with us mere mortals who won’t never ever afford a Balmain item?

2. shubby doo January 25, 2010 at 12:50 #

LOL…u sure called her out!!!

3. Jasmine January 25, 2010 at 13:03 #

Balmain should refuse to sell to her. She degrades the brand.

• ude January 25, 2010 at 16:31 #

it’s a pity net-a-porter don’t vet clients

• Fashion Critic January 25, 2010 at 16:49 #

LOL…

• Shoshanna January 25, 2010 at 20:02 #

Unfortunately, so many people degraded that brand last year.

4. Maud January 25, 2010 at 13:10 #

LOL LOL LOL
    Funniest post ever!
    It says it all

5. Sady January 25, 2010 at 13:14 #

Why hypocrite? Did she say she would never wear/buy anything from Balmain? She is just complaining about their prices. We all complaing about the price of things but we end up buying anyway.

• Fashion Critic January 25, 2010 at 14:24 #

IMO to say a brand is expensive then to buy 2 £5,000 black bold shouldered blazers who only difference is the lapels is ridiculous so therefore she is a hypocrite.

These blazers are hardly investment pieces, if they were I wouldn’t consider her such a hypocrite

6. sophie January 25, 2010 at 13:35 #

I would say that most designer fashion prices are ridiculous but that doesn’t stop me buying it. Balmain may be even more ridiculous but then again she is far richer than most of us could even imagine.
    Saying this does not make her a hypocrite!

• Tara January 25, 2010 at 13:40 #

IAWTC

7. Bego January 25, 2010 at 13:41 #

This woman has a big problem…. she should shut up.

8. cucumber eyes January 25, 2010 at 13:46 #

lol… blaiman is expense but since it’s big hit i will wear it because i need to be sooo fashion :eyeroll: hypocrite for sure.

9. Tara January 25, 2010 at 13:49 #

The prices ARE ridiculous, but if I could afford it, I would be wearing it too!

10. SET January 25, 2010 at 13:50 #

We all complain about overpriced things we like and still buy it. Still upset u have to pay so much but u love it.

11. Erica January 25, 2010 at 13:54 #

Why do we care what Alex Curran wears or thinks?! I certainly don’t and would never take fashion advice from her, can’t even understand her when she speaks.

• Alessandra January 26, 2010 at 05:40 #

HAHA THIS!:)

12. MEME January 25, 2010 at 14:00 #

LOL….. She probably gets them for free….. you never know…….. but I wouldn’t complain about a brand and wear almost every piece from their collection…… LOLZ…….

• Fashion Critic January 25, 2010 at 14:18 #

There is no way in the world she would get them for free.

Balmain are notoriously tight when it comes to loaning so I would doubt they would give it away…especially to a nobody like Alex.

• MEME January 26, 2010 at 15:45 #

Oh word!!!!……. So they are in the same league as Hermes and LV when it comes to the loaning…. buy or nada…. I likey…. I’m glad you said nobody…. because I never knew who she was until I saw this…. I still don’t know…. but to wear a brand and say it costs too much……. yeah…. she’s a hypocrite….

13. Shoshanna January 25, 2010 at 14:11 #

She is annoying as hell, too. She knows nothing about fashion and way to join a craze a year after it has happened.

I always laugh at her ‘fashion column’ in OK! Magazine.

• Fashion Critic January 25, 2010 at 14:15 #

OMG she still has that column??? What a joke.

• Shoshanna January 25, 2010 at 20:04 #

Yeah, not that I read OK! Magazine, I read two issues in the space of five months because I was bored and I rolled my eyes about 10 times throughout her column.

I always LOL at her ‘Fashion tips’.

• Fashion Critic January 25, 2010 at 21:36 #

I’m sure I would be doing the same

• Alessandra January 26, 2010 at 05:41 #

Finally! Somebody that agrees with me!

14. Chiara January 25, 2010 at 14:25 #

she is absolutely ridiculous just thinking that !

15. Elaine January 25, 2010 at 14:52 #

How did she make it into Vogue is my question?!!

• Fashion Critic January 25, 2010 at 15:02 #

I’m still trying to find out the answer to that question to

• Lizzie January 25, 2010 at 15:34 #

She doesn’t even pay for them for goodness sake!

The only reason she can wear pieces like this is because Stevie G pays for it.

Maybe he has put a cap on her monthly expense account hence her whining. LMAO!

Seriously, I’d have more respect for her if she earnt her own money and didn’t see her hubby as a cash cow.

• Fashion Critic January 25, 2010 at 15:37 #

Totally agree with “I’d have more respect for her if she earnt her own money and didn’t see her hubby as a cash cow.”

16. Marvel January 25, 2010 at 15:21 #

I saw that pic of her sharp-shoulder blazer in Daily Mail and thought wasnt she complaining about Balmain just the other day.
    Love the way you wrote approx price £27000. As if it was M&S advert. lol

17. robbie January 25, 2010 at 15:44 #

love it! stupid chavvy wag. if its so expensive dont buy it. what makes me laugh even more is she goes around saying she loves to get her clothes from asda and primark and places like that i bet her louboutins havent even stepped foot in any of those shops. if it wasnt for her husband she probably couldnt even afford any designer pieces.

18. robbie January 25, 2010 at 15:46 #

perhaps she is saying this because the head of balmain may have got in contact with her, and told her not to ever wear the brand again since chavs like her cheapen the brand lol.

• Marvel January 25, 2010 at 16:18 #

I must admit, that made me burst out laughing

19. mochababe73 January 25, 2010 at 16:19 #

I don’t care how tight Balmain is with their clothing. This chick did not pay for this. She more than likely borrowed it or it was given to her.

• Fashion Critic January 25, 2010 at 16:26 #

Her husband makes approximately £100,000 per week kicking a football around for Liverpool.

She can afford it.

• ude January 25, 2010 at 16:35 #

FC killed it!

• Fashion Critic January 25, 2010 at 16:48 #

;)

• Stuti January 25, 2010 at 16:46 #

Holy c**p! This is insane, vulgar money!
        No wonder the hypocrite goes on spending like that. Why does she have to crib then?

• anu January 25, 2010 at 21:09 #

im going to be studying like a complete maniac till im 27 and im still not going to make even 1/50th that amount! how tragic is my life??
          FOOTBALLERS ARE SOO OVERPAID!

20. FF January 25, 2010 at 16:58 #

No idea who this person is but do we know for a fact that she bought what she’s wearing?

Could be a gift? Could be loaned? Could be free?

• Fashion Critic January 25, 2010 at 17:06 #

I would say for a fact she wore it or it was a gift from her husband.

She was definitely not loaned or given this free. She is not the type of person Balmain would want promoting their clothes. Vogue tried to introduced her to the fashion world at London Fashion Week last season and most of the designers didn’t want her in their front rows and refused her entry.

• FF January 25, 2010 at 20:45 #

I can see why they made that call, she doesn’t add anything to the clothes – she doesn’t render them bland, just something you wouldn’t want to wear after seeing her in it.

She’s probably complaining because her husband can’t buy more pieces.

Which probably means Balmain are putting up the prices as we speak.

My question: why would Vogue even bother? Or can you buy your way into these things?

21. Claire Kelly January 25, 2010 at 17:27 #

She also seems to have aged a decade between the first picture and the last. I now have proof that hypocrisy creates wrinkles.

22. alex January 25, 2010 at 19:16 #

i don’t think its that hypocritical really, if she’d have said that they were ridiculous and she wouldn’t buy them then that would be hypocritical.

i think topshop prices can be ridiculous but i still buy there because its good stuff!

23. Rebecca January 25, 2010 at 19:17 #

I know if I was in her position, I would probably buy expensive clothing but I still have no respect for her. She hasn’t earned it like VB, Cheryl or Coleen. I woudn’t care about her wearing Balmain if she hadn’t made that comment. I hate myself for loving the third look.

• anu January 25, 2010 at 21:11 #

lol awww :)

24. Brenda January 25, 2010 at 20:04 #

she never said she wouldn’t buy Balmain clothes, she just said the prices are ridiculous… just goes to show she’s ridiculously rich enough to buy them.

25. advo88 January 25, 2010 at 21:22 #

I don’t even know who she is, so I very much doubt Balmain would give her anything. Of course, she’s a total hypocrite. Yes, we might buy things we consider overpriced – but we sure as hell don’t announce it to the whole world. I would feel totally stupid if I said something was overpriced and then went ahead and bought it anyway – even if in reality I did think it was too expensive. But I also think there’s a difference between thinking something is overpriced and just too expensive. I might consider a Chloe bag too expensive but if I love the design/quality etc. I might buy anyway. Truly, when does one buy something which we TRULY consider overpriced. If we are willing to pay the price then obviously, we see more value in the item than just the quality and design etc.

26. Gabbi January 25, 2010 at 21:47 #

I mean, she would be a hypocrite if she said “Balmain’s prices are ridiculous and I would never buy Balmain.” She’s not a hypocrite for saying what’s true. She’s right. Balmain is absurdly overpriced.

• Martin January 26, 2010 at 05:10 #

I completely agree. Balmain is the most overpriced of labels in a high-end market awash with ridiculously-priced clothes.

However, if she is so outraged by the prices and even saw fit to comment on it in Vogue, perhaps she should act on principle and not purchase them. I am seeing an element of hypocrisy here.

27. Tania January 26, 2010 at 00:18 #

I think she does think the prices are ridiculous but because she can afford it and likes the clothes she bought some. I like ridculous expensive clothes that I can not aford right now. If my husband was a footballer I would buy those same ridculous expensive clothes too. She does work she has a column in a magazine that most properely pays her a lot of money.

28. Sarah January 26, 2010 at 02:11 #

MUST she cheapen EVERY beautiful piece from Balmain? If she thinks the prices are ridiculous,maybe it’s because the designer is trying to stop people like her from buying them..and maybe she should stop!

29. r January 26, 2010 at 15:21 #

nah..she’s not a hypocrite. just stupid.