2010 NRJ Music Awards – Sofia Essaidi In Balmain

Excuse the caps but FINALLY.

Geez I’ve had to wait 11 months for this stunning Balmain asymmetrical electric blue Fall 2009 dress to hit the red carpet.

We’ve seen this dress on Paulina Rubio in her ‘Causa Y Efecto’ music video and Lady GaGa on her photoshoot in San Diego last year, but finally it takes pride of place on the red carpet.

Thankfully Sofia Essaidi has done it justice.

The sexy Moroccan singer was my favourite of the night.

I’m sure the matchy matchy police are freaking out that she matched both her clutch and peep-toes to her dress, but I guess she didn’t want to take too much of a risk.

Definitely in contention for BDOTW.

Credit: Style.com & Wireimage

2010 NRJ Music Awards - Kelly Rowland In Rachel Roy

2010 NRJ Music Awards – Kelly Rowland In Rachel Roy

2010 NRJ Music Awards - Dita von Teese In Jean Paul Gaultier Couture

2010 NRJ Music Awards – Dita von Teese In Jean Paul Gaultier Couture

20 Responses to 2010 NRJ Music Awards – Sofia Essaidi In Balmain

1. Lei January 25, 2010 at 18:23 #

I usually agree with you FC, but on this occasion not so much.

She looks really awkward. Maybe I’d need to see her at a different angle perhaps.

I’m not loving this at all!

2. beatriz duarte January 25, 2010 at 18:28 #

she is GORGEOUS!
    Amazing dress, amazing clutch, amazing shoes, amazing hair and make-up!

3. sarahl January 25, 2010 at 18:39 #

*squee* I am so happy you noticed her ! Sofia totally wowed me last saturday !

Also loved beyonce look, is that a giambattista Valli ?

4. Vanessa January 25, 2010 at 18:55 #

not sure why but her legs and feet look like they belong to a barbie doll. maybe its the shoes

5. Profashionelle January 25, 2010 at 19:25 #

I have to agree with you, FC. Sofia has done it justice. Instead of going for an edgy look like presented on the runway, she rather glammed it up.

Btw, Phoebe Price has worn a knockoff of this Balmain dress a few months ago: http://www.life.com/image/91929823

It looked quite nice and I even emailed her reps (?) and asked for a dress id, but never got a reply unfortunately. :-/

6. Ally January 25, 2010 at 19:28 #

Normally I’m not a fan of matchy-matchy either, but I don’t mind the shoes here (mostly b/c I just love that color), but the clutch is a bit much. But honestly, once you’ve gone all shinny blue, what other color do you carry? I think black would be too heavy, silver would be too much bling…

• Linda January 25, 2010 at 21:42 #

I think you’re right about that. This colour is so bold and awesome that you may as well just go with it. The blue looks fantastic with her hair and I think the whole look is great.

7. Natasa January 25, 2010 at 19:29 #

I love all Balmain collection especially this Power Shoulder Jacket. This dress is gorgeous.

8. ber January 25, 2010 at 19:48 #

Sadly, all of the Balmain knockoffs have cheapened all of their clothes for me.

9. robbie January 25, 2010 at 20:07 #

meh, its a nice dress on the runway not so much on sofia, also the hair just ruins it.

• mol January 26, 2010 at 01:33 #

I agree on the hair, it’s working against the dress.

10. danniekate January 25, 2010 at 20:55 #

as gorgeous as this dress is, some of the impact is lost for me just because i’ve seen so many high street knock offs and celebs rocking the look. i don’t know, i’m not bowled over :(

11. Katey January 25, 2010 at 21:42 #

I think these shoes are made by Alexander McQueen.

• Katey January 25, 2010 at 21:43 #

and her clutch too

12. Talita January 25, 2010 at 23:03 #

I’m not a fan of this look. It is too much blue for my liking. This Balmain dress is definitely not what I would call a pretty dress. Looks trashy.

• Cris January 26, 2010 at 00:02 #

I totally agree. If people didn’t know it was Balmain, it could’ve easily passed for a Vegas costume. And the monochromatic look makes it even tackier.

• Martin January 26, 2010 at 04:58 #

I’ve never been a fan of Balmain so no matter how “well” someone wears it. The ridiculous lack of originality and the inherent tackiness of all their stuff always trumps any other pro there may be in the particular look. No from me.

13. Laura January 25, 2010 at 23:35 #

I’m not usually a matchy-matchy fan, but I love this look. The dress is so powerful that the shoes shouldn’t detract from that.

14. maud January 25, 2010 at 23:47 #

Oh come on, she looks FANTASTIC!!!! She brings something different to Balmain, a more glamourous strong woman look. Definitely a BDOTW if it’s not of the month.

15. Ewurafua January 26, 2010 at 17:13 #

She looks akward.
    Her face is pale compared to the rest of her body.
    The hair and the frills of the dress cause to much commotion.
    And I just can’t get over the fact that her toes are hanging out of the shoes.