2010 NRJ Music Awards – Rihanna In Jean Paul Gaultier Couture

Over the last few months I’ve started to get back into Rihanna’s style.

This is mostly because she appears to have calmed down on the over dramatic pieces, but has managed to maintain an interesting level of creativity.

I think this was beautifully displayed at the 2010 NRJ Music Awards this weekend, when she walked the red carpet wearing a stunning Jean Paul Gaultier Fall 2008 Couture gown.

The white embroidered gown was split to the thigh with a silver lurex skirt underneath. I think this look shows a much softer side of Rihanna, which we haven’t seen in a long while.

Her dress was paired with wedged heels and silver jewels.

I know many of you just can’t get over the hairstyle, but what do you think of this look?

[nggallery id=303]

Credit: Style.com, Bauer Griffin, London Features & Wireimage

Alex Curran: Fashion's Biggest Hypocrite

Alex Curran: Fashion’s Biggest Hypocrite

New On Net-A-Porter Today - Rhea Durham's Marchesa Wedding Dress

New On Net-A-Porter Today – Rhea Durham’s Marchesa Wedding Dress

36 Responses to 2010 NRJ Music Awards – Rihanna In Jean Paul Gaultier Couture

1. Shoshanna January 25, 2010 at 14:18 #

She looks terrible. She always wears the clothes with no feeling.

2. cucumber eyes January 25, 2010 at 14:19 #

i like white part of the dress, but this silver lurex skirt does nothin for the dress in my opinio it’s just ruining it… but i must agree rihanna looks divine in it.

3. Victoria January 25, 2010 at 14:19 #

I prefer this hairstyle over her previous one but I still can’t like it. However, she looks great here! :D BDOTW perhaps?

4. La:Dolce:Vita January 25, 2010 at 14:39 #

I think she looks great also. Her make up is flawless and those tear drops earring are to die for. The slip doesn’t bother me.. Can you imagine if it were all cream lace? Might look a bit “grand-ma” ish.. lol…

5. nicky January 25, 2010 at 14:41 #

i cant love rihanna’s style because of the hair. still hate the hair…she needs a new hairstyle!

having said that…i do love the dress but not the silver lurex skirt. tht skirt ruins it for me :\

6. Elise January 25, 2010 at 14:50 #

I like it, she looks good and I love the shoes but her hair always ruins her look

7. shaun January 25, 2010 at 14:57 #

I have been a fan of your website for sometime now, but this is my first time commenting.

I am loving RIri’s look, maybe she is out of her rebellion stage, but what is going on with her shoe story…A wedge with that dress..NOT!!!!

• Fashion Critic January 25, 2010 at 15:02 #

thanks for your first comment :D

8. B January 25, 2010 at 15:02 #

I love her in this, it’s so interesting and she looks great. Totally agree that without the skirt the look would be too old for her – maybe it’s the colour that seems off? It’s like it’s sort of gold-silver… A warmer colour could have looked nicer maybe.

I’m even starting to warm to the hair – it looks so cute curled.

9. confeteria January 25, 2010 at 15:30 #

is it just me, or does she really have panda’s eyes?

• Fashion Critic January 25, 2010 at 15:37 #

No I see it too. I guess it’s a make-up trend that’s not going to go away any time soon

10. Dora January 25, 2010 at 15:38 #

She looks great! I agree with shaun, she could have worn other shoes . Maybe her Alexandre Vauthier white ankle strap ?

I think she’s finally finding her own style lately. She always wears these interesting pieces, can’t wait to see more!

And I don’t mind her silver lurex skirt underneath.I also accepted her haircut, like with her clothes, she’s just experimenting.

11. robbie January 25, 2010 at 15:50 #

i love this, im actually shocked she even wore the skirt, surely this is a step in the right direction since last year she would probably have wore this without the skirt. the hair is fabulous, the only thing i hate is her make-up especially around the eyes where it looks almost white.

• Fashion Critic January 25, 2010 at 15:52 #

6 months ago she would have worn it without the skirt

12. Tara January 25, 2010 at 16:00 #

I really like this outfit. However, like a couple of commenters above, I have a problem with the shoes.
    I also don’t really hate the hair so much. Sure, she’d look better with a different hairstyle but kudos for not being afraid of experimenting:)

13. Rama Dimas January 25, 2010 at 16:02 #

the silver lurex skirt underneath is bothering this beautiful dress. she didnt look good at all

14. mm January 25, 2010 at 16:09 #

I agree her looks are creative. I am for women looking soft and feminine. I love this look. Not a fan of the shoes but overall i think she is BDOTW contender.

15. mochababe73 January 25, 2010 at 16:16 #

First of all, her hair reminds me of Rosie Perez in White Men Can’t Jump.
    The dress is ugly. Some dresses are meant for drama on the runway not to be worn out in public.

16. mol January 25, 2010 at 16:37 #

Close – I love the curley hair with the organic flowered cutouts on the dress, the shoes are so bad but one only sees them from a side view…….real close……

17. Yaas January 25, 2010 at 19:16 #

I love this dress, AMAZING! My only problem is her hair, if it was just like the old days, black ,short and edgy, this combination should be perfect. Still for this great choice of dress, we should hand it to her (the shoes are just so-so). BDOTW by me

• Linda January 26, 2010 at 01:44 #

Yes, I LOVED that hair you’re talking about. It was really modern and flattering and she looked so hot!

18. Yaas January 25, 2010 at 19:18 #

And I like Rihanna’s neck line more than the runway.

19. senka January 25, 2010 at 20:00 #

she looks sooooooo cheap, like she ripped that dress from her granny and added aluminum to it.

20. Sue Jin January 25, 2010 at 22:48 #

I wish she would have kept the original neck line. The hair looks fine, her eye makeup is nice except the white powdery look under her eyes. I don’t like the wedged heels with this dress either.

Is she really goiing for a softer look here? I just don’t see the usual amount of confidence she has.

21. Cris January 26, 2010 at 00:06 #

Yup, if she wore her hair in a more sleek and sophisticated coif she would’ve bowled me over.

22. Laura January 26, 2010 at 00:28 #

Im never a fan of her style.And those wedge heels with this dress?Speechless….

23. Martin January 26, 2010 at 05:01 #

The lurex and the shoe completely kill this dress for me. A lurex-less version of the dress would’ve looked stunning on, say, Kate Bosworth or Maggie Gyllenhaal. Rihanna looks a little uncomfortable and unsure of herself in this.

24. ben January 26, 2010 at 05:55 #

I love everything about this, I’d love to see this up for BDOTW

25. lovegaga January 26, 2010 at 12:49 #

i love her hair more than ever now,and the dress is great she has a propper height,she can wear this perfectly..
    but i dont really like the heels,i mean black wedge heels on this…NO

26. mandy January 26, 2010 at 13:47 #

I.HATE.THIS.LOOK.

27. MEME January 26, 2010 at 15:41 #

HATED IT!!!!!!!!…. Two snaps and a thumbs down….

28. Ewurafua January 26, 2010 at 17:17 #

Is the reason why we are seeing an awful lot of panda eyes because the camera lenses are getting harsher? I believe so? Or?

29. Lou January 26, 2010 at 20:24 #

Love the dress, but hate the hair and wedge heels here

30. Taylor January 27, 2010 at 02:35 #

Real good look for her…BDOTW contender for sure.

31. Michic January 29, 2010 at 06:19 #

Her style is so bipolar and the dress is perfect to reflection. The Lurex skirt…… Hated it… The wedge shoe… Fail The hair… Whats going on girl? She could have given anyone a run for their money in the fashion dept about a year ago but something has dramatically changed in 2010 and its hasnt been hot more like luke warm to just plain cold.

32. Sharon January 31, 2010 at 03:47 #

The silver lurex looks lovely when she’s standing still, but unfinished when she walks. Even the runway model is holding the silver skirt in her hand to prevent the double skirt flapping. And the black wedge heels just look clunky. White or almost any other color would be better.