18.01.10 Best Dressed

2010 Golden Globes Awards – Best Dressed

Best Dressed Award

I was a bit underwhelmed by this red carpet until I saw Diane Kruger.

Ever since I attended the Christian Lacroix Spring 2009 Couture show in January last year I’ve been praying to see this gown on the red carpet.

Diane more than does this stunning pink ombre gown justice. The colour really pops on the soggy red carpet on a cold and rainy night in LA.

I love the sleek old Hollywood hairstyle. She was really out to impress.

Her white Raven Kauffman Couture clutch matched the pretty white bow on the side of her dress.

Most Predictable Award

There would’ve been no prizes for guessing that Marion Cotillard would wear Christian Dior.

Style.com even predicted that exact dress she would wear.

Being the face of ‘Lady Dior’ helps, plus when we see her in Dior we always get spectacular results.

Her petrol green satin asymmetrical Spring 2010 dress has a thigh-high split with a black négligée peeping through.

Jimmy Choo ‘Drake’ sandals and Chopard jewels complete her look.

Biggest Shock Award

Courteney Cox walked the red carpet last night wearing a black strapless dress from Victoria Beckham’s Spring 2010 collection.

Like most pieces from VB’s collection the dress was well structured and had a ‘top to hem’ zipper along the back.

I liked the jeweled detail on the empire waist, and the chic updo Courteney sported.

Normally I don’t care much for Courteney on the red carpet, but she really surprised me by how great she looked.

She carried a black Jimmy Choo ‘Tube’ clutch.

Her husband actor David Arquette dutifully kept her dry from the pouring rain.

Best Couture Award

This is definitely one of those ‘better on screen look’s.  Unfortunately the picture isn’t doing Drew Barrymore any favours.

Her Atelier Versace Fall 2009 one shoulder champagne gown was stunning.

The nude corset was covered by a nude crystallized overlay, with two clusters of glass fringes on the shoulder and the hip.

Her hair was swept back as not to interfere with the details, as the actress wore Lorraine Schwartz jewels to complete her look.

It’s A Grower Award

I’ve been going back and forth with Julianne Moore.

I was just about to put her on the Worst Dressed list, when I decided that her Balenciaga Pre-Fall 2008 dress wasn’t as bad as I first thought.  Mostly because she looks so elegant.

The grey colour initially put me off this silk bustier gown, but I really like the pleated lace detailed neckline and her green Bvlgari earrings were magnificent.

Black suede Balenciaga stingray sandals complete the look.

Beautiful, Even When Slightly Wet Award

Chloe Sevigny would’ve been the most worried about getting her rose Valentino sleeveless gown wet as it would’ve deflated those beautiful ruffles.

But she was lucky to have a someone to help shield her dress from the rain.

Buccellati jewels complete the look.

Va Va Voom ‘Jessica Rabbit’ Award

Christina Hendricks has the most amazing body, which she always dresses so well.

She leaves me breathless in this stunning Christian Siriano Spring 2010 gown which was custom-made to hug those delicious curves.

She carried a Christian Loubuotin ‘Kephron’ silver clutch and wore Loree Rodkin jewels.

Most Improved Award

Sandra Bullock doesn’t like to do the girlie thing, but she always makes a huge effort.

Her efforts last night were very much appreciated in this purple Bottega Veneta Spring 2010 strapless gown.

Her hair was beautifully styled and her make-up was flawless.

Lorraine Schwartz jewels were paired with this look.

Best Marchesa Award

Anna Kendrick said she fell in the love with this Marchesa gown.

What’s not to love?

The embroidered mint one shoulder tulle column gown has a beautiful ruffle bodice.

She continued to sparkle with Cartier jewels.

Best Use Of Colour Award

Normally I’m not fond of cocktail dresses at big award shows, but I loved Ginnifer Goodwin last night.

The beautiful actress wore an electric blue Vionnet Spring 2010 draped dress with asymmetric neckline.

Her look was paired with black satin Brian Atwood ‘Maniac’ pumps and Neil Lane jewels.

Best Comeback Award

I do miss Cameron Diaz on the red carpet, so I was thrilled to see her at this event.

The leggy actress wore a red Alexander McQueen Pre-Fall 2009 cowl-neck gown with cap sleeves.

As much as I like Cameron in this dress, I kinda wish she’d also worn that runway belt.

Golden Girl Award

Toni Collette not only won a Golden Globe award, but she also shimmered in her gold embellished Elie Saab plunging gown paired with an Elie Saab gold clutch.

The details on her gown are exquisite.

Most Consistent Award

I love that Zoe Saldana constantly surprises us and keeps things interesting.

I would never have picked this blood red Louis Vuitton gown for her, but I’m loving all this drama.

The ruffles, the train, the seemingly unfinished nature of it all screams beautiful chaos.

New Direction Award

Normally we get sugary sweet from Olivia Wilde, but last night she lived up to her name wearing a sexy metallic Gucci plunging dress.

She paired her dress with Jimmy Choo “Zena” platform sandals and Tiffany jewels.

Click Here to see more from the 2010 Golden Globe Awards.

Best Couple Award
Emily Blunt and John Krasinski looks so damn gorgeous on the red carpet.

He looked handsome wearing a navy Prada suit, whilst she was a knock out wearing a pink tulle and chiffon Dolce & Gabbana strapless dress paired with Lorraine Schwartz jewels.

More to follow…

Click Here to see more from the 2010 Golden Globe Awards.

Credit: Style.com, Getty & Wireimage

2010 Golden Globe Awards - Worst Dressed

2010 Golden Globe Awards – Worst Dressed

Who Wore Versace Better? Donatella Versace or Christina Aguilera

Who Wore Versace Better? Donatella Versace or Christina Aguilera

52 Responses to 2010 Golden Globes Awards – Best Dressed

1. WendyB January 18, 2010 at 06:45 #

Diane Kruger FTW!

2. Rama dimas January 18, 2010 at 06:49 #

Wow I always love Diane. She’s fab!

3. Laura January 18, 2010 at 06:51 #

Love mostly all of this! I don’t really like Chloe’s dress at all though, to be honest. It just looks really awkward. But that’s just me! Toni Collette’s looked even more gorgeous on stage, with the lights sparkling on it. And Zoe – just beautiful! Shame I didn’t actually see Diane’s dress during the ceremony, it’s very pretty.

4. Jennifer January 18, 2010 at 06:55 #

My favorite two looks are Diane Kruger’s and Sandra Bullock’s from this list. I love the bright, vivid colors. Ginnifer Goodwin is third.

I hope you also look at Maggie Gyllenhaal , Sigourney Weaver, Helen Mirren, Jennifer Morrison, Jane Lynch, Lea Michelle and Fergie (though her Elie Saab did scream a bit too much of PROM for me, she still wore it fabulously well.)

Trends – hair being worn down. Oh, and one more sad comment… I wish Christina Hendrick’s dress was the color of the original, or that the volume hadn’t been lost in those folds.

5. Kara January 18, 2010 at 07:06 #

You lost me until Anna Kendrick, and even then I don’t think it’s the best on her (too mature a look). I prefer Kate Hudson’s white strapless Marchesa (but not her shoes). My favorite hands down is Lea Michele’s Oscar de la Renta. That gown just screams red carpet drama with class and elegance. Reminded me a lot of what Penelope Cruz usually wears.

6. abre January 18, 2010 at 07:06 #

who was Sophia Loren wearing?
    she looked sooooooo amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Fashion Critic January 18, 2010 at 07:29 #

Really?

7. nicole January 18, 2010 at 07:09 #

agree!! only i wouldnt have counted in chloe or christina. hate both looks.
    courtney cox in VB is such a great surprise she looks FABULOUS.

8. gg January 18, 2010 at 07:13 #

diane’s gown was exquisite but her hair was too severe. the shoulder detail was beautifully crafted.
    loved drew’s dress. the detail of glass fringe and the color looked lovely.
    anna’s gown looked beautiful on screen.
    my least favorite was chole. it had too much going on, with ruffles and a bow at the back. btw it got ripped on stage as someone stepped on it.

• gg January 18, 2010 at 07:21 #

loved kate hudson’s white gown. it had a beautiful structured bodice.
      fc hope you’ll add her

• mol January 18, 2010 at 09:26 #

I loved Kate too, and also Lea Michele.

9. Ashley January 18, 2010 at 07:23 #

Diane Kruger for the win. One of my favorite ever red carpet looks. Stunning. Agree with you on everyone else (especially Emily Blunt and Sandra) except for Zoe Saldana and worst of all, Anna Kendrick. Horrid! The color does nothing for her….dress looks like old curtains to me. Just hate it.

10. Jen January 18, 2010 at 07:34 #

I think Zoe was my favorite, with Anna in second and Sandra in third. :)

11. The One January 18, 2010 at 07:39 #

Diane, ZOE (of course) and wow Courtney Cox in Victoria Beckham dress, wow, talk about subtle elegance.

12. MEME January 18, 2010 at 07:56 #

Fashion Critic…. me and you are about to bump heads because I thought Diane Kruger was HID-E-OUS……… It looked like Pretty In Pink from HELL……..
    I thought that Anna Kendrick should’ve gotten Best Dressed……. she gave me a COUTUREGASM……

I LOVED Cameron Diaz….. that dress was FLAWLESS……

Monique looked STUNNING…… It was simple…. elegant…. and it fit her so well……

And one I wanna touch on was Chloe Sevigny…. the dress is beautiful….. the color is beautiful……. it photographs beautifully…… but I could’ve done some editing…. like the ruffles at the waist…… either that or take the ruffles from the top……. but either way it is an interesting dress…..

• mm January 18, 2010 at 09:03 #

MeMe dont know if you saw the actual show. But on stage one of the presenters step on Chole’s dressed and ripped the bottom. She was not happy and commented so during her acceptance speech. That was some unintentional editing to a beautiful gown

13. Julia January 18, 2010 at 08:04 #

Diane – she certainly brightened up the carpet! First she starts off the year in short, edgy dresses and now she’s given us two femmenine frocks in a row. What will she do next? Loved the colour of Ginnifer’s dress and the reinvigoration of Vionnet! Also, did you manage to get a look at Maggie Gyllenhaal’s RM by Roland Mouret and Rose Byrne’s Lanvin – I thought they both looked great.

14. nicky January 18, 2010 at 08:04 #

it took me a while to love diane’s dress. but now, im totally in love from the colouring to very detail of the dress. diane wears it amazingly! its definitely not a dress everyone will love….

my other favourites are olivia wilde, ginnifer goodwin and emily blunt.

15. Laura January 18, 2010 at 08:15 #

I always have a girl crush on Diane Kruger. She looks GREAT! She was definitely my best dressed too!

16. Nikki January 18, 2010 at 08:24 #

I agree with most of the choices except for some.

I’m not a fan of Diane’s Kruger’s dress. I like the style but the color is awful.

Chloe Sevigny…the gown doesn’t do anything for her. It looks like it was just a bunch of ruffles.

Zoe Salzana, color’s awful as well as the style. It looked as though they were in a hurry to finish the dress. I was disppointed with her look.

Can’t like Juliane Moore’s dress. It looked blah. Maybe because I’m not a fan of shapeless dresses/gowns.

Olivia Wilde, as usual, looked gorgeous. I love that she took a different direction with her look. She looked sexy and her makeup is flawless.

Christina Hendricks looks gorgeous. I love the ruffles and the color of her dress…and I love the red lipstick as well.

I don’t understand why people don’t like Anna Kendrick’s gown but I think she looks gorgeous. I like that she modified the dress or else the high neckline will overwhelm her petite frame.

Sandra Bullock’s gown id beautiful especially the color. She looks gorgeous is purple.

I’d love to see Glen Close included in this list. That woman has still got it. She gives the younger stars some competition.

17. wilwarin January 18, 2010 at 08:27 #

i’m usually not fan of pink, but this dress on Diane is amazing and colour looks great on her, Marion is little boring for me, although that colour is divine on her, Anna Kendrick looks exquisite in that dress, Drew Barrymore really owns that dress and I love Olivia Wilde, Christina Hendricks and Toni Collette.

18. Case January 18, 2010 at 08:43 #

Diane was clearly the best dressed of this event. Most of the girls looked very sub-par compared to her. The person I was the most disappointed with was Zoe. Usually she looks so great but this time I felt her look was boring and not red carpet worthy.

19. Hellwafashion January 18, 2010 at 08:50 #

I think those amazing earrings Julianne Moore is wearing are Bvlgari.

20. MiMi January 18, 2010 at 08:53 #

Zoe was the best dressed of the night what a gorgeous dress I also liked Chloé Sevigny.

21. mm January 18, 2010 at 08:53 #

Wow great job FC! I am missing Maggie Gyllenhaal, Vera Faminga and Lea Michelle. i thought Penelope’s hair and make up were gorgeous. Inside the event My show stopper, was Halle Berry, Drop Dead Gorgeous, she stoled the show and wow was on everyone’s faces

22. Denise January 18, 2010 at 08:54 #

You have not posted Penelope’s dress. I am surprised, for me she is by far the best dressed. Diane and Olivia are close.

• Fashion Critic January 18, 2010 at 09:05 #

Denise, there were a lot of looks from last night and we have been working through the night to bring them to you.

All looks will be featured. Please allow us time to work on them.

• Denise January 19, 2010 at 04:17 #

No worries, just figured you would have posted her first or something :).

23. Marionrocks January 18, 2010 at 08:59 #

Zoe Saldana looks AMAZING wow!!!! Marion looks good but boring oh well she can’t win all the time.

24. Catarina January 18, 2010 at 09:18 #

What about Jennifer Garner? She looked stunning! Lisa Edelstein, Lea Michele, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Jennifer Morrison, Stacy Ferguson, Alicja Bachleda, Felicity Huffman, Jenna Fischer, Suzy Amis and Glenn Close were also very beautifull!

• Fashion Critic January 18, 2010 at 09:26 #

we are still working on looks. Please give us a chance

• Catarina January 18, 2010 at 09:45 #

Keep up the good work! That’s why I love this site!

25. robbie January 18, 2010 at 09:42 #

diane, i actually thought this was terrible on her the horrid pink colour and the weird neckline.

marion, amazing the colour and i love that she kept the sexy slit aswell.

courtney, this is a shock seeing her on a best dressed list but she sure does look great.

drew, she really has been hitting out of the fashion ball park for quite a while and this is the best out of all her looks to date.

julianne, i loved it til i got to the shoes not loving those.

chloe, meh looks like she is wearing a piece of paper hate it.

christina, i love this until it gets to below the waist then it makes me want to go get a pair of scissors.

sandra, she looks fantastic but she always gives off that vibe that she would be more comfortable in jeans and t-shirt.

anna, wow she really is getting to wear huge designers and she always looks great in them. sadly that badge ruins it, i know its for a good cause but really it ruined this look.

ginnifer, great coloured dress but wow she sure has picked a predictable colour of shoes *yawns*

cameron, she looks great but the belt was a must have for this look.

toni, blingtastic she looks fabulous.

zoe, she looks good but im not wowed.

emily, she looks so beautiful and john looks very handsome. such a cute frickin couple.

26. electra January 18, 2010 at 10:16 #

Yes, Courteney looked amazing, but if somebody asked me 5 years ago what colour she would wear, i would say black. She’s predictable just like Jennifer Aniston who, surprise, surprise, also wore a black dress.

I liked Drew Barrymore the most, but this picture doesn’t do her justice.

27. piyusha January 18, 2010 at 10:20 #

Diane really looks very sweet!But I don’t like the lace in Marion’s gown.And I am missing Pen!!!!

28. Joy January 18, 2010 at 10:42 #

Nobody comes even close to the magnificence of Diane Kruger at this red carpet. My heart skipped a beat when I realized she was wearing Lacroix Couture. She has a new fan in me after this bold choice. Zoe is always one of my favorites, she looks amazing in that dress! I also liked Maggie Gyllenhaal in Mouret. Kudos to Drew and Julianne for their fearlessness!

29. Martin January 18, 2010 at 11:18 #

Bestill my beating heart, Diane Kruger. After Christian Lacroix presented his final couture collection last year in July, I ruefully resigned myself to the fact that his spring/summer collection, one of my favourites, wouldn’t see the light of day on the red carpet. So seeing Diane look so radiant at the Globes in his pink plisse chiffon confection was the most pleasant of suprises and really brought home to me what a talent the world of couture has lost.

Oh, and some trivia: a friend of mine has just told me that Dita posted a message on her Twitter saying that Drew and Diane were her Globes best dressed and that she almost wore Diane’s Lacroix last year at Cannes. Crazy, but I’m sure she would have looked just as amazing.

30. hache January 18, 2010 at 11:21 #

Zoe is the best i love this colours on her
    my second is Drew … amazing
    Anna look so cutie im in love with that dress
    I dont like Diane look personally i prefer her in
    Donna Karan , just her hair who knows
    I love Sandra dress her hair is perfect

31. Leo January 18, 2010 at 12:34 #

Diane Kruger looks adorable, that shade of pink is a bit off, but she managed to make it work.

My absolute favourite is Drew Barrymore. She looks pure perfection. Loved Marion Cotillard and Sandra Bullock also.

Chloe Sevigny looks weird, it’s too much dress, too little girl. And Anna Kendrick just looks weird in that dress.

32. Elise January 18, 2010 at 12:48 #

Sandra looks amazing, I love the dress and the color looks stunning.
    I love Anna Kendrick dress, it is perfect for her, she looks graceful.
    Diane Kruger looks gorgeous, but there is something that I don’t like in that look.
    I hate Julianne Moore dress.
    Marion Cotillard may be predictable but she is so beautiful in that dress.

33. Mea January 18, 2010 at 16:51 #

Diane Kruger, Olivia Wilde and especially Emily Blunt get my vote!!! I don’t like Marion Cotillard nor Zoe Saldana, this time: I think that the split of Dior dress and the attempt to be “different” of Louis Vuitton’s one are not appropriated for this kind of event, where elegance and simplicity should reign. Anyway, that colour looks beautiful on Zoe’s skin. I also like Courtney, Drew, Julianne and Sandra, while I don’t like Chloe, Christina, Anna and Toni. Indifferent to Ginnifer.

34. mol January 18, 2010 at 18:06 #

Bad morning for a power failure! Anyway, Diane K. is such a chameleon – I never would have picked this color for her, yet somehow she made it work, I’m beginning to think she can make any color or design work. I am so glad this dress saw the light of day (Martin mentions that Dita twittered she almost wore it, that would have been another match made in heaven).

35. Wheaty January 18, 2010 at 20:24 #

These are your best dressed? I thought these were my worst dressed, with the exception of Anna Kendrick, Emily Blunt, Sandra Bullock, Toni Collette, Ginnifer Goodwin & Courtney Cox.

36. Matt January 18, 2010 at 21:22 #

Can we just change best dressed award to best saldana award, how is possible she gets better every time. She is gorgeous,

37. Laura January 18, 2010 at 21:56 #

Diane is looking gorgeous and is one of a very select group that could look good in a dress like that. When I first saw Marion’s look, I couldn’t get past that Style.com predicted it. But a day later, I can say it’s a beautiful dress, but predictable none the less. Wow, I’m a poet!

Courteney Cox looks classy and awards show-worthy. I think Drew’s look worked better when she was moving. I wish Julianne’s dress wasn’t as flowy. Chloe looks like Chloe, and I can’t fault her for that. I’m glad she toned down the lips for this look.

Christina Hendricks’ look would’ve worked so much better in emerald green. Right now, it washes her out. I love purple on Sandra Bullock. I only wished her posing matched the dress. Anna’s dress is like a breath of fresh air.

The blue on Ginnifer’s dress makes up for the shortness of it. I wish Cameron would’ve found a black umbrella. The red umbrella with the red dress is distracting. The way the gold shapes Toni’s body is what makes this dress spectacular.

Zoe’s dress would look a mess on us mortals, but girlfriend’s doing her thing. She looks so elegant and chic. Olivia’s dress is sexy without being slutty so props to her. I love the way Emily’s dress uses the big detail, light color combo. Fab.

38. Amelia January 18, 2010 at 23:30 #

Drew was my favourite by far, she was perfect! Diane was also incredible; not the sort of dress I’d wear, but let’s face it, SHE can wear anything and make it work, and besides, her hair and make-up are heavenly. Marion looks great, but her dress reminds me a LOT of the one Nicole Kidman wore to the 2005 Golden Globes. Chloe’s dress is gorgeous, but I really think it fails to flatter her. Sandra Bullock looks terrible imo, the gown is so ‘look at me’ and she always seem so uncomfortable on the red carpet. Christina Hendricks was one of the worst dressed to me, the gown really washes her out and she should have chosen a style that would be more flattering to her boobs. I didn’t like the Marchesa gown on the runway and I don’t like it on Anna Kendrick. I loved the Vionnet dress and its colour, but not on Ginnifer Goodwin. Cameron’s dress is great, but it’s a McQueen style we’ve seen a lot recently, and I also wish she had worn the runway belt. Zoe was a huge disappointment to me; I was expecting so much, but I hated her dress. Olivia, on the other hand, looks gorgeous and Emily is utterly boring, don’t know how she’s making such a good percentual in the best dressed poll.

39. Landy January 19, 2010 at 01:17 #

OMG! Diane Kruger look is NOT the best dressed. Sandra Bullock, Zoe Saldana and Courtney Cox are all just drop dead gorgeous!!!

40. zoe January 19, 2010 at 01:26 #

i loved reading this! wow wow wow, ginnifer goodwin is my favorite i think. she looked so absolutely beautiful. i think this is one of the few times where she really takes my breath away. she usually looks great but she never drives me ga ga, and this time she really did!

i want to love zoe saldana in the dress, and she did carry it off the best she could…but she could have done better. it’s cute, and i see what she was going for, but this isn’t the best look. she should have worn something else. i love her hair and everything else though.

sandra bullock also looked amazing. i loveeeeed the color of that dress. beautiful! <3

i’m surprised kate hudson isn’t on this list. she looked astounding.

41. Care January 19, 2010 at 04:00 #

First, thank you so much for the unbelievable coverage… I didn’t even see some of these dresses on the show yesterday!
    I could see how you would either hate or love Diane’s look. It’s so bold and deserves a strong reaction, as for me, I loved it! Gorgeous and vivid!
    Drew and Zoe were my other favourites. I also thought it was so generous of Olivia Wilde to auction her dress to raise money for Haiti after the event.

42. cassandra January 19, 2010 at 05:13 #

On Dita Von Teese’s twitter, she mentioned she almost wore Diane’s dress at Cannes. I wish she had, because as much as I love Diane in this dress, DIta would have absolutely owned it with her fair skin and dark hair. Still, she gets my vote for best dressed :)

43. Giada January 19, 2010 at 12:41 #

Am I the only one who finds the cut and fit on Marion Cotillard’s Dior dress absolutely horrendous? It just hangs around her body; doesn’t support her chest, does’t accentuate her waist. It’s just an awful bodice, I’m sorry. She is a gorgeous lady and she deserves better.

My favorites were:

Diana Kruger- What a sumptuous color. Gorgeous.

Courteney Cox- Not a spectacular dress but she brought out he va va voom-factor.

Drew Barrymore- Just another great look for someone who definitely stepped up her game since the Grey Gardens.

Christina Hendricks – Gorgeous woman, gorgeous dress. Next time I would like to see her NOT bring out the chi chi’s. She’s getting predictable.

Zoe Saldana- One of my favorite actresses on the red carpet. Love her hair here also. Would like to see a close up of her bracelet.

Emily Blunt-Lovely dress, lovely jewelry. Not liking the hair here. The hair is too bland in combination with the dress.

• whitestroke January 20, 2010 at 22:15 #

Marion here is one of the worst red carpet looks I’ve ever seen in my entire life. I’m not exaggerating.