14.01.10 Premiere

“Nine” Rome Screening

Penelope Cruz made a vast improvement from her earlier disastrous photocall look.

This time she looks gorgeous wearing a Armani Prive Fall 2006 Couture creme beaded halter dress, with matching gold peep-toes.

I love the embroidered detail on her dress.

It’s official.

The promo tour for the movie “Nine” has not even come close to living up to my expectations.

Marion Cotillard wore a black Vionnet dress which neither excites nor delights.

The first thing that honestly came to mind when I saw Marion was a monk.

I’m wishing she prayed for the House of Dior.

*BIG SIGH*

Sophia Loren you were our only remaining hope to bring some glamour to the promo tour.

Instead of dazzling us in couture or a custom-made gown, you give us big bird.

Credit: Getty

Izabel Goulart In Emilio Pucci - amfAR Cinema Against Aids Gala

Izabel Goulart In Emilio Pucci – amfAR Cinema Against Aids Gala

"Sherlock Holmes" Madrid Photocall

“Sherlock Holmes” Madrid Photocall

18 Responses to “Nine” Rome Screening

1. Julia January 14, 2010 at 01:36 #

I agree, the promo tour has been a bit disappointing although there have been some great looks (Kate and Penelope at London premiere and basically all of them at the New York ones) . This would’ve been the perfect place to show off some stunning couture. Oh well, I’m sure the ladies will dazzle come awards season.

2. mm January 14, 2010 at 03:07 #

So far Nine has been a flop in box office sales, it appears this has translated right onto the red carpet.

3. Martin January 14, 2010 at 04:49 #

Um, sorry Fashion Critic, I’m going to have to disagree with you on this one. Penelope’s appearance in the Dolce at the photocall was certainly not perfect but I find that I prefer it to this Armani Prive. This gown unfortunately makes her look quite dumpy and thick, and I’m finding the style incredibly dated. A disappointing look in my book.

4. lucas January 14, 2010 at 04:51 #

I’m not crazy about any of these looks. What a disappointment.

5. Christy January 14, 2010 at 05:27 #

But have you seen the split up the side of Marion’s dress? whoo! See if you can find a pic of her side-on She was pretty brave!

6. mol January 14, 2010 at 07:10 #

Oh dear, it’s hard not to start giggling…..it’s all really a bit of a mess isn’t it, specially the big (brazen hussy) bird look….

• mm January 14, 2010 at 22:53 #

i have been laughing to myself all day because of that brazen hussy comment. I havent heard the word hussy in many years, and it was so durn funny, and so appropriate to describe the look here. whew! LOL

7. Joy January 14, 2010 at 08:59 #

Penelope’s dress looks awful on her, it doesn’t feel current at all. I prefer Marion, her dress is actually very sexy because of its up-to-there slit.

8. Terry January 14, 2010 at 09:02 #

Sofia Loren is a legendary actress but her style has been a mess since the 80s. I think it’s time for her to ditch those hideous glasses with tinted lenses and choose something different.

9. wilwarin January 14, 2010 at 09:57 #

actually i love the dress on marion, it’s interesting especially when you see side f the dress and that slit… i love that colour on penelope but i don’t like dress, i think it’s kind of dress for thinner girls (i don’t have anything against curves to be clear, i prefer curvy women but some clothes are just not made for curvy body)
    and i just couldn’t stop giggling when i saw sofia…

10. Elaine January 14, 2010 at 10:03 #

I think Penelope’s dress looks a lot better on the model than her =S

11. Bego January 14, 2010 at 10:08 #

I don’t like Penelope’s dress… although I must say it’s better than the black one she wore to the photocall, I still don’t like this one… And yes, Marion looks like a monk that was the first thing I thought either!

12. Vera January 14, 2010 at 10:50 #

It’s official: ‘Nine’ movie crashed in box office.

• Vera January 14, 2010 at 13:51 #

And I love Marion here.

13. Elise January 14, 2010 at 12:36 #

I hate Penelope Cruz dress on her, she looks so bad.
    Marion Cotillardis cute, I love the dress

14. Ally January 14, 2010 at 12:48 #

I really think it is something to do w/ the movie failing at the box office. Who wants to loan out a gorgeous couture gown for a movie that is already failing :(. Hopefully they will get something amazing to wear to the Globes.

And will someone please steal those silly glasses and scary necklace from Sophia??

15. ioana January 14, 2010 at 15:25 #

sophia loren looks really bad .. If I were more drastic I would say she looks ridiculous … And by seing this picture is no longer relevant what she says about never having work done to her face ..

16. robbie January 14, 2010 at 16:32 #

penelope, loved that she went for an older piece and such a beautiful one.

marion, she has lost some of her sparkle sadly.

sophia, without that hideous yellow monster on her it looks like it could have been quite pretty.