23.12.09 Best Of

Best New Designer Of 2009 – Prabal Gurung

This time last year not many knew of Prabal Gurung.

The designer must have known he made it when he appeared on the front cover of WWD during fashion week back in February, but the rest of us were yet to catch up.

In April Zoe Saldana should be credited for being the first to bring Prabal Gurung to the red carpet.

It her defining moment of the year, and no doubt it was Prabal’s too.

The celebrity love didn’t stop there.

Demi Moore and Rachel Weisz gave their seal of approval at the same Cartier 100th Anniversary event, whilst Becki Newton gave us a twirl in a stunning ruffled bib confection.

After being invited to the designers Spring 2010 presentation during New York Fashion Week, I knew this collection would be just as popular on the red carpet, and I was right.

New girl on the block Carey Mulligan was the first to wear the Spring 2010 collection, followed by Demi Moore, Leighton Meester and Thandie Newton.

Stylish CNN reporter Alina Cho opted for the same feathered Fall 2009 dress as Demi Moore, whilst Ashley Greene ended Prabal’s year as Zoe had started it – wearing a stunning red dress.

All this love in only his second season proves what a talented designer Prabal Gurung is.

Credit: TwitPic & Wireimage

"Stella's Got Her Groove Back" Award - Blake Lively

“Stella’s Got Her Groove Back” Award – Blake Lively

Red Carpet Designer Of The Year - Marchesa

Red Carpet Designer Of The Year – Marchesa

9 Responses to Best New Designer Of 2009 – Prabal Gurung

1. Maud December 23, 2009 at 14:18 #

Love that dress Leighton wears!
    Thanks FC for introducing Prabal Gurung to us, definitely a designer to watch as I am sure we can expect a great new year from him

• Fashion Critic December 23, 2009 at 15:03 #

You’re welcome.

He’s one to watch.

2. Stuti December 23, 2009 at 15:53 #

My favourite Prabal Gurung is the one on Zoe, Leighton and Thandie. I love colour, and beautiful dewy details. And I agree, he is definitely one to watch. He does edgy and feminine so perfectly. I am always amazed at his clothes. :)

3. Willa December 23, 2009 at 16:23 #

What a great year for designers with ties to India. Prabal went to fashion school in Delhi and worked with Manish Arora, who himself got a lot of great exposure this year. Than you have Naeem Khan as well. Great year.

4. YSLGirl December 23, 2009 at 18:06 #

Some great dresses. Love the fourth picture with Demi Moore. It’s probably the only time I’ve ever loved her in anything.

5. Sue Jin December 25, 2009 at 13:25 #

I fell in love with Zoe’s dress the minute I laid eyes on it! I can’t to see what he brings us next!

6. whitestroke December 27, 2009 at 18:34 #

I especially love the way Rachel and Leighton worked their dresses.

7. proud Nepali December 28, 2009 at 05:17 #

JAI NEPAL….finally nepal is also know for best fashion designer..gud luck prabal gurung..lol even i’m gurung..so yeh!!!hahaha..thnx for introducin him 2 the world..lob ur dresses…

xoxo
    xindrelicous

8. Lisa December 28, 2009 at 14:15 #

An Amazing designer with fabulous vision!! Ah I wish I could have the dress Leighton wears!! Also fabulous to see a Gurung make a name for him self in the hardest industry to break into in the world!!!