22.12.09 Best Of

Red Carpet Trend Of 2009 – Pant Suits

If you had said to me at the start of the year that pant suits would be one of the hottest trends on the red carpet I would have said you were crazy.

Surprisingly this trend worked, and on the most unexpected people.

A pant suit on Tilda Swinton always works well because of her androgynous look, but on boho queen Sienna Miller it was totally unexpected.

Her Gucci pant suit was a million miles away from the boho look we’d long tired of, but this look became the kick-start for a great red carpet promotional tour for the British actresses.

Evan also looked very comfortable in a Gucci pant suit, but the other big surprises were Penelope Cruz and Ashley Greene who both wore red Bottega Veneta pant suits.

Pen’s was a winner, the jury is still out on Ashley’s.

Others who have dabbled with pant suits this year are Amy Adams at the “Sunshine Cleaning” LA premiere and Jennifer Aniston at the “He’s Just Not That Into You” LA premire.

Both wore Burberry suits. Amy’s was white whilst Jennifer’s was of course black.

Did you like this trend?

Credit: Getty & Wireimage

Most Worn Dress Of 2009 - Kimberly Ovitz Jacob Long Sleeve Dress

Most Worn Dress Of 2009 – Kimberly Ovitz Jacob Long Sleeve Dress

Best Dressed Of The Year 2009 - Readers Choice

Best Dressed Of The Year 2009 – Readers Choice

10 Responses to Red Carpet Trend Of 2009 – Pant Suits

1. Barbara December 22, 2009 at 17:05 #

i think it depends on person,who is wearing it.like they can look great but it can be disaster too,right?i mean it looks great,when it´s combinated with something bright or interesting.i think penelope cruz is even more sexy in it than in dress! :D i like this trend,it´s new and chic

• Fashion Critic December 22, 2009 at 17:07 #

I totally agree with regards to Pen

2. Szonja December 22, 2009 at 17:25 #

… and don’t forget Amy Adams’ white Burberry suit

• Fashion Critic December 22, 2009 at 17:36 #

Of course. Thanks

3. Stuti December 22, 2009 at 17:50 #

Oh, I love this trend! Kate Hudson and Stella McCartney too. :D
    I love fine tailoring like this, and a woman hot enough to carry off a pant suit is my idol. <3

• mol December 22, 2009 at 19:08 #

Kate and Stella were favorites for me as well, along with my long time girl crush Evan in Gucci.

4. Rahm December 22, 2009 at 21:06 #

I thought Melanie Laurent (Shosanna in Inglourious Basterds) looked gorgeous in her Yves Saint Laurent pant suit for the Cannes premiere of the movie.

5. Linda December 23, 2009 at 01:14 #

I really don’t like t his trend at all. Only Tilda Swinton looks okay. The others are some of my least favourites of hte year, actually, especially Evan and Sienna.

6. Ally December 23, 2009 at 13:27 #

I’m fine with the trend in general, but if you wear a suit on the redcarpet, it better fit like a glove. I hate the dropped crotch on the suit that Pen is wearing and Ashley’s doesn’t seem to fit anywhere on her body. Amy and Jennifer look great until you see that their feet are being swallowed. Tailors exist for a reason!

7. Katie January 5, 2010 at 17:07 #

I only liked the trend and the suit on Pen!