Runway To Nobel Banquet – Michelle Obama In Azzedine Alaia

OK…so the majority of you weren’t too crazy about Michelle Obama wearing Calvin Klein earlier this week, but OMG doesn’t she look like a goddess in Azzedine Alaia.

Talking about a goosebump moment.

At the Nobel Banquet in Oslo last night Michelle would have been the belle of the ball in her silvery blue gown.

I love everything about it.  The colour, the way it flatters her figure, and those dazzling earrings.

The First lady was all smiles on the balcony of the Grand Hotel after waving to the crowds who had gathered outside for the traditional torchlight procession.

It was here she wore an Alaia jacket with her gown which kinda ruins the look for me.

The dress is up for BDOTW however.

Credit: NY Times & Getty

In Devon Aoki's Closet - RM By Roland Mouret Osu Dress

In Devon Aoki’s Closet – RM By Roland Mouret Osu Dress

Social Events Of The Week

Social Events Of The Week

29 Responses to Runway To Nobel Banquet – Michelle Obama In Azzedine Alaia

1. YSLGirl December 11, 2009 at 17:21 #

I’m really not getting this woman’s style. It may be a big upgrade from Laura Bush, but to me, she’s just OK. I love how she wears Calvin Klein and Alaia, though. It’s a shame that she just does nothing for me.

She can’t compete with Jackie O!

• mette December 11, 2009 at 17:47 #

I feel the same way…
      And no one will ever be able to compete with Jackie O :)

• jeremy December 12, 2009 at 02:14 #

Here’s why I choose Michelle over Jackie O: Jackie O obviously has a more petite body and a better style. But she wore Chanel and other famous European designer- which makes her looks effortlessly Parisian stylist. Michelle is different, I mean she can choose Versace, Balenciaga or Chanel like Jackie did. But no, she choose less known, minority young designers (esp American ones). Jackie maybe wore the best houses, but Michelle is the one who put the word “politic” and “nationalism” in “style”. Is that convincing enough to you?

• Thomas Monks December 13, 2009 at 03:44 #

jeremy Jackie O in her white house years turned to unknown american designers as well she wore Hattie Carnagie and Oleg Cassini. while i loved jackies style i love the fact that Michelle only wears American desginers and well this Alaia dress is hidous on her and makes her look fat i think she has many amazing moments the inagural gown tthe black NATO dinner dress, J. Crew

• Ksenia December 12, 2009 at 04:13 #

Bores me to pieces. Michelle, wear COLOR! Show off that bodhy everybody keeps on gawking at.

2. Danielle December 11, 2009 at 17:25 #

The color is amazing on her skin, however not sure I like where the dress hits the hips based on the picture, I personally love the jacket though go Mrs. O!!!

• Thomas Monks December 13, 2009 at 03:51 #

i also love the jacket

3. molly December 11, 2009 at 17:29 #

I adore the jacket. I think she looks gorgeous and regal in it. Love the hair, the earrings, the overall look – but I’m not sure the drop waist is very flattering to her around the middle. It could just be the angle of the photo – I’d like to see if this is true.

4. cucumber eyes December 11, 2009 at 17:33 #

i admit i’m not fan of her cardigans but i must admit this lady has a style… and when i saw this dress all i can say is wow…. she looks amazing :D

5. Ewurafua December 11, 2009 at 17:34 #

I disagree. I think the jacket is to die for. Definitely a statement piece.
    The dress on the otherhand is beautiful, but it makes her waist look a bit chunky. Michelle usually has an hour glass figure, but not so much here. The colour is divine though.

• gg December 11, 2009 at 18:28 #

completely agree

• Nemesis December 11, 2009 at 18:57 #

I think the same. I love Alaia but for me this is not a BDOTW contender

• mol December 11, 2009 at 21:23 #

I agree three.

• Kristina December 11, 2009 at 21:11 #

exactly! the dress does nothing for her figure. the jacket is divine!

6. Willa December 11, 2009 at 17:44 #

Michelle has an EXTREMELY challenging body type. She’s very thin on top and then pretty large on bottom. It’s hard to find shapes and cuts that flatter that type and I think she’s trying the best she can.

That said, she looks like a snow queen from Narnia or something, haha.

• Raquel December 13, 2009 at 14:41 #

I don’t think it is EXTREMELY challenging, because differently than many other pear shaped women out there – Hillary Clinton, for example – Michelle is tall and have slender legs. Her hips are “large””, but she is on the lean side and knows what works for her body tupe.

This said, the earrings are too long for the jacket – a piece to die for – and are tangling in the ruffles.

Gorgeous dress.

7. mm December 11, 2009 at 18:33 #

Michelle did a 360 in one day. She is looks gorgeous. No need to compare Michelle to Jackie O two totally different women in almost every way, well except for the fact they are both First Ladies. LOL . Michelle is brillant, hardworking very humble woman. She is confident yet relaxed person, so charming and that is what her style shows. She can roll out in a simple cardigan then turn it up with a gorgeous gown like the one she is wearing in this post. I look forward to see many more of her looks

8. Ana December 11, 2009 at 18:39 #

Um… its Oslo. Not Olso. :p

9. jojo December 11, 2009 at 19:04 #

i love so much to see her in Azzedine Alaia ! i think she love is design or her stylist

10. ~abi~ December 11, 2009 at 19:31 #

pretty, but not so much BDOTW, imo.

11. lidka December 11, 2009 at 19:35 #

i really can’t make myself like this look…. the top of the dress looks like a HM vest tucked into that beautiful skirt… and i agree with those of you, who wrote that the dress is unflattering, it looks like Michelle has started experimenting with texture, but it’s just not working for me.
    she should stick to what works best on her: flowing, silky, knee-length dresses ( with cardi, of course :)

12. Laura December 11, 2009 at 22:19 #

I love the bottom of the dress. It is high fashion, first lady appropriate, and beautiful. But the top dress just isn’t flattering for a woman like Michelle.

Michelle has had some major fashion moments, but she’s had her fair share of flops too.

I don’t like the jacket, but I love the jewelry and make-up and hair. A good look, but I’m not blown away.

13. Leti December 12, 2009 at 01:08 #

Love the look, but better with the jacket. Very regal. Without the jacket, I’d agree the top of the dress is not entirely flattering. It looks a little…unstructured? It’s certainly not nipping her in.

14. DM December 12, 2009 at 01:36 #

yet again – NO! That jacket is hideous!

looking past that, the dress itself is simply not flattering. the upper portion has nothing going on and is just too plain which makes it look off seeing as how the bottom half is embellished. PLUS that silver embellishment below her waist makes her look even heavier than she already is! FAIL!

15. A. Darton December 12, 2009 at 04:07 #

I am so tired of people trying to compair Michelle Obama to Jackie O. Why do that? Michelle has her style and Jackie had hers. Is saying she is no Jackie O a way of trying to put her down? Last time I check ,I never have heard Michelle say that she wanted to be Jackie O. I think the First Lady look lovely. Don’t get me wrong now, I don’t agree with everything she wears, but I’m like this, you can’t please everybody. So if the First Lady is please with what she has on, well so be it. I couldn’t take someone always judging what I wear. I am impress with the woman, more than I am impress with a knock out dress. I see how she interact with her girls, that impress me. Michelle is just like the average everyday woman. Well black woman. She have her hits, and her misses. Which one of us don’t know what that’s like? Me, I’m still so proud of her.

16. Audrey December 12, 2009 at 09:55 #

She looks so beautiful! Very regal and timeless…

17. Joana Oliveria December 13, 2009 at 11:14 #

The Jacket it’s very nice!! the dress, not so much!! It makes her look “buff”!!!

18. zoe December 15, 2009 at 20:24 #

wow michelle really looked amazing here. A++++!

19. vn January 9, 2010 at 01:09 #

Nothing can make her look attractive too me. Beautiful black she is not. This gushing about her beauty and better-than-all-previous-first lady fashion sense is ridiculously obsequious.