Runway To Nobel Peace Prize Award Ceremony – Michelle Obama In Calvin Klein

We have seen Michelle Obama wear many designers, but for the first time today she wore Calvin Klein.

This look was worn to the Nobel Peace Prize Award Ceremony, where President Barack Obama accepted the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize at the Oslo City Hall in Norway.

The First Lady wore a chartreuse laser cut velvet dress and laser cut velvet jacket from the Fall 2009, but her two piece were custom-made.

I love the look without the coat, in which she wears metallic kitten heels, a Nina Ricci cardigan *ducks* and a stunning necklace.

I know many of you hate her wearing cardigans at such formal event, so how do you feel about his look?

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Fergie Duhamel In Calvin Klein Collection - amfAR Inspiration Gala New York 2014

Fergie Duhamel In Calvin Klein Collection – amfAR Inspiration Gala New York 2014

2009 Dubai International Film Festival

2009 Dubai International Film Festival

37 Responses to Runway To Nobel Peace Prize Award Ceremony – Michelle Obama In Calvin Klein

1. Rebecca December 10, 2009 at 18:05 #

I like it too. Cardigans represent!!

2. mm December 10, 2009 at 18:07 #

I love Michelle’s style. I don like this look. This pics are unflattering. She looks wide, and I have met her and this women is stunning and much slimmer than she appears in these pics.

• Laurel December 11, 2009 at 02:39 #

This dress was not flattering at all. Why does the cardigan seem off on one side. Not a good look for her at all.

3. Dora December 10, 2009 at 18:19 #

I don’t like this look. My eyes hurt looking at the gold. It shines too much for a dress. So I’m glad she wore the cardigan, it soften her look just a little bit.

4. S December 10, 2009 at 18:19 #

Is it the dress, or has she gained weight?

5. ella December 10, 2009 at 18:36 #

i personally dont mind her wearing cardigans…..as long as it serves as her own small accessory that makes every look stylish.

the dress and coat combo is too matchy matchy and heavy in the first look. i like her second look best. the cardigan breaks up the colour and works well with her necklace…

6. Lara December 10, 2009 at 18:44 #

Michelle O seems to favour “A” line style skirts and dresses, and that silhouette never flatters those with a pear shape (like me). It always emphasizes the hips particularly when it falls below the knee. In combination with the colour of the dress it’s not her best look. Burn those kitten heels please Mrs. O and Nicole! Be proud of your height!

• Kathryn December 10, 2009 at 21:07 #

I hate the look with the coat as she looks huge. I much prefer the cardigan, even though on the whole I think the look is a FAIL. BTW–Almost every style magazine, book, guide I have every read recommends A-line skirts and dress for pear shapes. I too am a pear shape and believe a-line, flared silhouettes to be a great look. it hides wider hips emphasizes my small waist etc. I guess people can disagree, but that probably why Michelle likes the silhouettes

7. molly December 10, 2009 at 18:46 #

OK, I’ll start. I love Michelle, but I can’t stand the cardigan. It doesn’ t suit the dress- the color, the texture, the formality, the silhouette – all just wrong, wrong, wrong. But I do really like the dress itself (and shoes and necklace). Why wouldn’t she just omit the cardigan? We know she’s not hiding her arms! And she has a custom coat – which I would love to see, but that scarf, whic I like jus slightly better than the cardigan, is hiding it.

8. atinymachine December 10, 2009 at 18:53 #

I love the color and the way the look is put together. I’m not quite sure about the fit, but maybe it’s just how the dress appears in this particular photograph.

9. Mea December 10, 2009 at 18:56 #

Style is totally another thing… I know that she likes colours, but this is too much. Why not a simple and classy black dress? At least for one time.

10. mette December 10, 2009 at 19:05 #

I think for this event its a bit too much… I dont wanna see another cardigan on her the next 3 months :)

11. Harris December 10, 2009 at 19:14 #

I do not always think that Mrs. Obama dresses appropriately at events. However, I think this is beautiful. I think the cardigan looks great (yes, even at this formal event). I think a cardigan in general needs to be a case by case decision.

12. GirlOne December 10, 2009 at 19:21 #

It does make her look heavy. Don’t like the color on her.

13. zoe December 10, 2009 at 19:36 #

this is the first time that i ever hated how michelle looked. i absolutely hate how she looks with the coat on. she looks much better with it off. and isn’t that the scarf she wore to the inauguration? or is that just my imagination?
    the prez looks quite dapper though. but then again it’s so easy for men to look good, just wear a well made suit. men don’t have an excuse to look bad!

• mm December 10, 2009 at 20:02 #

Yes same scarf. You know she believes in rewearing her clothing like many other women. I agree with you about men not having an excuse to look bad, LOL. President Obama does looks quite dapper.

14. Laura December 10, 2009 at 19:47 #

I don’t like the metallic on metallic of the first look, but the scarf covers what I hate about the second look.

The dress is way way way too tight on her. She’s an attractive woman, and the dress gives her rolls. The cardigan and necklace are about the only things I like in any of these looks.

A big disappointment from Michelle.

15. Kelly December 10, 2009 at 20:12 #

This dress makes her look very stout. I wish she would have opted for something more closely related to the runway look. I actually think she looks better with the cardigan.

16. Annel December 10, 2009 at 20:39 #

I really like the combination of colours against her skin, and the dress is beautiful. I really think that she wears her clothes with a lot of personality, so I don’t mind if she wears for instance cardigans at a formal event – she’s got so much integrity, that it really doesn’t matter!

17. lidka December 10, 2009 at 20:40 #

the yellow is so garish! plus, the cut and fabric are super unflattering so, as much as i love michelle’s style, this is a big fail.
    I also wear cardigans with practically everything, but i really don’t think the cardigan was necessary in this case,…. eh, the whole look: yellow, shiny, velvet +cardi = overkill

18. AJoanna December 10, 2009 at 21:06 #

Wow, her dress is… bright! Ok… um, other than that color a close contender for “ugliest on planet earth”, it’s ok I guess. Her necklace is very nice. =]

19. robbie December 10, 2009 at 22:12 #

oh my god! that colour is ugly and the whole matching dress and coat is not a good look.

20. maria December 10, 2009 at 22:19 #

she´s wearing a vest underneath the dress, people! come on! that´s why she looks bigger than she really is!

21. Ana December 10, 2009 at 23:50 #

Compared to all the Norwegian, she looks great. The outfit would have been to formal without the cardigan, you should have seen what the others wore.. Norwegian women really suck at formal wear, I would know, I am one.

22. Carole Ford December 10, 2009 at 23:56 #

Keep up the great work President Obama!

23. ntulips December 11, 2009 at 00:46 #

cardigan?…bad!!!…especially at such an event…TOO MUCH COLOR…this gold, too much for her skin tone…a softer gold would have been prettier…ALSO, she seems to have gained weight(or this dress with sweater just makes her look bigger)…I like her best in floor length gowns…makes her “flow” better, as she has a very masculine/athletic build. But, floor length may not have been appropriate for this event.

24. DM December 11, 2009 at 03:32 #

aaannnnnndddd….SPLAT!!! right back down to her usual “style”. underdressed (as usual) and hideous color.

25. Alicat December 11, 2009 at 04:42 #

The matchy, matchy coat/dress combination has me thinking Queen Elizabeth. This look is far too matronly for Mrs Obama, and swapping a cardie for the coat does not help. The stiffness of the fabric and the way it folds across her thighs makes her appear very wide. She looks more like her husband’s mother in this! Mr Obama, on the other hand, looks very dapper.

26. Regina December 11, 2009 at 07:18 #

I love her and she such a lovely woman with amazing figure,but i dont like this outfit at all(she looks huge(

27. lici_u December 11, 2009 at 11:16 #

She should have worn it as the model does, no sleeves and asymetrical.

28. Justine December 11, 2009 at 12:59 #

Chartreuse is right…more like barf-treuse. Everything from the colour to the cut is just plain awful

29. Erin December 11, 2009 at 14:16 #

Yeah, I don’t like this look. The color is awful for starters, and it makes her look bigger than she is! Not flattering at all. She can do better than that!

30. Danielle December 11, 2009 at 16:40 #

I think the hem is unflattering and the thickness of the fabric is too heavy for her, not liking the color alot either

31. Ginaphur December 12, 2009 at 00:45 #

As for the dress, a little garish but not terrible. I’m just glad she didn’t cinch the cardigan with a big belt. I am as tired of that look from her as I am of Leona Lewis’ corset belts.

32. Raquel December 13, 2009 at 14:49 #

Well, do I really need to say how much I loathe the cardigan look? It is not appropriated for the Nobel Cerimony, but she has worn a cardigan in a meet with the Queen of England, why should I expect these old Swedish folks to be treated any better?

This one of her worst ouftits ever. The dress was horrible on the runway and it is horrible on Michelle. Wrong color, too much trash gold, snugged in the wrong places. Let’s forget this look.

33. Olivia Grace December 13, 2009 at 18:01 #

She is entitled to have a miss every once in a while–I still love her but this look missed the mark.

Please I do not like being disappointed by your fashion sense so let’s not make a mistake for another year

34. camaguey December 16, 2009 at 15:52 #

If I looked like this woman, overweight by at least 200 pounds, I’d wear a cardigan or a sock, whatever would cover the rolls of fat. Do you see the difference between the model and this COW?!!? I am so embarrassed! Can’t this woman get a trainer who will come to the White House and HELP her?!!? She’s probably the ONLY person who standing next to Oprah makes Oprah look thin.