10.12.09

2009 British Fashion Awards

I had a huge case of de ja vu looking at Victoria Beckham wearing this black long sleeved gown from her recent Spring 2010 collection.

At Elton John’s Oscar party earlier this year she wore a very similar gown.

I was really hoping she would wow me on this occasion, but she didn’t.

Whilst so many opted for black a this event, Lauren Laverne stood out wearing a Matthew Williamson Spring 2010 mini dress.

The dress was covered with intriguing embellishments of an interesting texture.

The Radio and TV presenter completed her look with two tone platform heels which complemented her dress perfectly.

Jacquetta Wheeler also stood out wearing a gorgeous floral Erdem Spring 2010 dress with a tiered skirt.

I would’ve loved it had she not worn the tights – which are understandable in this weather.

Other than that she looks amazing.

Claudia Schiffer also opted for something colourful, wearing a red printed Peter Pilotto Fall 2009 dress.

Like her fellow supermodel above, Claudia also opted for tights.

I would’ve loved for her to wear thigh-high boots like the model.

Daisy Lowe opted for sexy glamour wearing a Vivienne Westwood Spring 2010 gown, with cut-out on the sides plus a thigh-high split.

Thankfully she didn’t over accessorize, because this gown speaks for itself.

Jerry Hall gave her daughter Georgia Jagger – who won Model of the Year – a lesson in how to work the red carpet.

Jerry opted for a two-tone Chanel Fall 2009 fitted dress paired with same runway jacket.

The look suited her quite nicely, but I really objected to the zebra print heels.

Georgia braved the cold wearing a white and grey lace Vivienne Westwood dress with black strappy sandals.

Natalie Massenet – the founder of Net-A-Porter.com and theOutnet.com – must have the most enviable closet.

The stylish CEO opted for a Emanuel Ungaro Spring 2009 one-shoulder taffeta black dress with asymmetrical lines and ruffled details.

T-bar embellished heels complete the look.

Natalia Vodianova blue off-the-shoulder vintage Fortuny gown made her baby blue eyes pop.

Her look is paired with Christian Louboutin Bat Girl heels.

I love Rosamund Pike’s taupe chiffon dress which is accented with black ribbon.

A fur trimmed jacket and taupe heels complete this gorgeous look.

Kate Moss gives us nothing we haven’t seen before from her with this Dior look.

Tolula Adeyemi steps outside the box wearing a one-sleeved white Manjit Deu gown whilst carrying her favourite Louis Vuitton clutch.

I love the dramatic blue embellished sleeve and the sprinkles of details on the bodice.

I’m really admiring this girls style.

Erin O’Connor always gives off such a regal vibe on the red carpet which I love.

Her one-sleeved gown was less colourful than Tolula’s, but is was equally dramatic with the poufy shoulder detail and her long flowing skirt.

Credit: Style.com, London Features & Wireimage

Who Wore Alice and Olivia Better? Lauren Conrad, Lauren Bosworth or Marissa Miller

"Nine" LA Premiere

“Nine” LA Premiere

34 Responses to 2009 British Fashion Awards

1. ella December 10, 2009 at 10:23 #

true, there’s a sense of de ja vu looking at VB but i’m totally in love with this look.her up “do” complements the embellishments nicely.. overall, it’s way better than the Elton John’s Oscar party look which was plain and quite boring.

Jacquetta Wheeler really stands out for me. i love colours on the red carpet and those runway shoes are really cute!

thanks for posting FC!

2. jojo December 10, 2009 at 10:48 #

victoria beckam in victoria beckam so new ! please push her out of the red carpet , so boring ! Rosamund Pike look so good and the Matthew Williamson Spring 2010 mini dress embellishments look like the versace atelier dress we see on diane kruger .

3. Rock*Star December 10, 2009 at 11:13 #

WOW! Tolula Adeyemi looks fantastic. I absolutely love what she’s wearing. The blue is so blue! that I can’t blink *-*!

VB & Kate r the worst dressed in this event! not that VB looks bad, it’s like what U said.. A totall De ja Vu!

4. mette December 10, 2009 at 11:34 #

Of course one should promote their own line but VB almost never wears anything else… It’s getting a bit predictable..
    I loove Lauren Laverne’s dress with those shoes! Love love love! It’s just gorgeous! The colours are so beautiful.. I want that dress! :)

5. YSLGirl December 10, 2009 at 11:48 #

Victoria looks boring as always. She knows nothing about fashion. Why is she there?

I’ve never really cared for Erin, but she looks amazing here. BDotW worthy along with Natalia, Lauren and Jacquetta.

6. YSLGirl December 10, 2009 at 11:48 #

Oh and Rosamund looks a mess.

7. Stuti December 10, 2009 at 11:50 #

Meh, Victoria is even posing the same way. As soon as I looked at the picture, I was like, “oooooh, pretty dress, but why repeat the same design every collection?”
    Tolula is beautiful in that gown, absolutely pretty.
    Jerry Hall is stunning, I <3 her.
    I also love Lauren’s pumps.

8. Lee-Shay December 10, 2009 at 11:53 #

I love Natalia and Erin’s outfits. I nominate Natalia for bdotw – her look is so different. She looks beautiful and fresh.

9. mm December 10, 2009 at 12:48 #

Rosamund Pike wins for me for this event. I love the different textures of her look including her hair,

10. Ally December 10, 2009 at 12:54 #

That Matthew Williamson is so interesting. I have to applaud Lauren Laverne for wearing something different.

11. Lara December 10, 2009 at 13:27 #

Lauren Laverne for BDOTW please?

12. Jenna December 10, 2009 at 14:33 #

I actually like the tights on Jacquetta…without them the look would be too spring. I think she went with the opaque tights with black shoes to offset the girly spring look of the dress…

13. Lala/S-R December 10, 2009 at 15:38 #

OMG, FC, that’s exactly what I thought when I saw her at this event. Case of deja vu, since I just recently saved images from the Elton John oscar event. I would nominate her for best dressed of the week, but I’ve seen this look on her before.
    Kate looks..blah.
    Erin looks pretty great.

P.S How are you feeling today? Hope all is well.

• Fashion Critic December 10, 2009 at 17:47 #

Still struggling hopefully the flu is on the way out

• Lala/S-R December 11, 2009 at 04:42 #

It’s so cold here in Toronto today, I hope I won’t get sick. Get better soon. Honey with some lemon or lime juice in it is really great for cold and flu, by the way.

• Fashion Critic December 11, 2009 at 07:25 #

feeling much better today thanks :)

14. mol December 10, 2009 at 15:43 #

Both Tolula and Erin deserve a nomination for BDOTW (IMO!)

15. robbie December 10, 2009 at 17:11 #

they all look bad except lauren who i applaud for not wearing black tights, erin who always looks amazing and natalia she is wearing louboutin bat girl.

• Fashion Critic December 10, 2009 at 19:35 #

thanks Robbie

16. atinymachine December 10, 2009 at 19:01 #

oh my god, i LOVED that matthew williamson dress on the runway. so glad to see that it was broken out for this event.

17. ninn December 10, 2009 at 19:24 #

Victoria’s outfit may seem boring to some but she happened to attend this event after a funeral (becks grandfather)(RIP)

BTW have you by any chance seen Jennifer Garners W magazine photoshoot, she looks STUNNING!

• Fashion Critic December 10, 2009 at 19:32 #

yep, gonna post that tomorrow :)

18. Laura December 10, 2009 at 19:31 #

Victoria is too covered, too black, and the hair is off. It’s a little witch-like to me. Lauren marries elegant and edgy well. The only thing I’m not sold on is the bag.

I like black tights with very few things, and the floral Jacquetta’s wearing definitely isn’t one of them. I understand the weather, but a lighter color of tights would’ve worked better with a floral.

On both Jerry and Georgia, the shoes ruin the look. Georgia’s make-up is pretty awful too. I don’t like Natalia’s necklace, and I wish the dress had a little more shape. The only thing that throws off Rosamund’s look is that the hair matches the fur. I like everything but the hair. Kate Moss is one of the few people who can pull off that look, but it’s still a bit gothic to me.

Tolula’s dress reminds me of a better version of Nicolette Sheridan’s SAG disaster. I love how the blue fades out. Great look. I love Erin’s look. It looks classy and sophisticated but very dramatic. It makes a great statement.

• Alicia December 10, 2009 at 20:02 #

Agree 10000x about Georgia’s shoes. Ew.

19. nguyen tran gia linh December 11, 2009 at 08:32 #

I Love Posh

20. Elena December 11, 2009 at 12:07 #

Natalia for BDOTW, please! She’s wearing a vintage gown by Fortuny

• Fashion Critic December 11, 2009 at 12:23 #

Thanks for the I’d. She will be considered :)

21. Francesca December 11, 2009 at 14:22 #

I adore Natalia Vodianova and her look is amazing! Do you know who designed her dress?

• Fashion Critic December 11, 2009 at 14:36 #

Elena said it’s vintage Fortuny

22. Wendy December 12, 2009 at 08:33 #

FC,
    You are always spot on with this blog – you have my utmost admiration – marvellous stuff !!

Natalie Massenet wore this Ungaro dress to the Annual Night of Stars back in October last year, by the way – so she doesn’t have such a full closet that she can’t wear a dress more than once, like the rest of us – that makes her very much more likeable somehow, don’t you think ?

• Fashion Critic December 12, 2009 at 09:29 #

Thanks so much Wendy. That was so lovely for you to say.

I’ve meet Natalie a few times a press days and fashion weeks and she is the nicest person you could ever meet.

I’ve seen her wear the same thing more than once during those meetings and like you said it only makes me like her more.

She’s totally diva free. Which is refreshing for someone in her position.

23. Victoria December 31, 2009 at 14:16 #

It was great to see colour this year, loved Claudia’s Peter Pilotto dress, and the bangles she was wearing were by a young London based brand Most Common Most Rare:

I am totally in love with the Erdem dress

24. maureen November 27, 2011 at 18:09 #

I Really Think Black Opaque Tights have had there day…my daughter no longer wears them “ever” well i did get rid them all !!