“Nine” London Premiere

This is the Penelope Cruz I love.

Elegant, unstated, effortless and simply gorgeous.

She was by far my Best Dressed at this premiere looking angelic wearing a Ralph Lauren Spring 2010 vintage chambray georgette beaded gown.

For such a big occasion there may have been a temptation to over do the bling, but her Chopard diamonds complemented the sparkling details on her gown.

She completed her look with a Ralph Lauren lizard flower clutch.

Kate Hudson wore a stunning white Atelier Versace Fall 2009 strapless gown, with a beaded bodice and sculptural skirt, paired with silver heels.

This stunning creation should’ve been enough to be my best dressed, but I didn’t like her hair.

The hair is typical Kate Hudson.  It’s the same hair we see in candids out with her kids or her boyfriend A Rod.

I would have expected more in that department since she was wearing such an amazing gown.

Shout if you think it’s BDOTW worthy.

I expected Nicole Kidman to blow me away, but she didn’t.

I was so disappointed with her look and I really wish she opted for a stunning gown instead of this white Azzedine Alaia Spring 2010 ensemble.

Hopefully she will knock it out of the park for the following premiere’s.

Film Director Rebecca Miller arrived wearing the same Alexander McQueen Pre-Fall 2009 dress she wore to the “The Private Lives Of Pippa Lee” New York Screening.

Shingai Shoniwa of The Noisettes arrived with her bandmates Jamie Morrison and Dan Smith.

She left them in the shade wearing a David Koma Fall 2009 black dress with those distinctive tube details on the skirt.

I love that cropped red satin jacket she wore with her look.

Jasmine Guinness’ red velvet shawl and burgundy pumps through me off loving her Christian Dior Resort 2010 black gown with leopard print theme.

I like the red lips though.

Dame Judi Dench chose an understated lime green Betty Jackson full-length dress, which she paired with gold accessories.

Vivienne Westwood’s muse Tolula Adeyemi arrived wearing a sexy baby blue bustier gown, whilst carrying a Louis Vuitton clutch.

Credit: Style.com, Bauer Griffin & London Features

Who Wore Herve Leger Better? Jennifer Lopez or Shakira

Who Wore Herve Leger Better? Jennifer Lopez or Shakira

Celebrities Love... Ankle Boots

Celebrities Love… Ankle Boots

56 Responses to “Nine” London Premiere

1. Hellwafashion December 4, 2009 at 09:17 #

I think Kate is BDOTW worthy!, I think it’s very her, she’s wearing an amazing dress & she’s playing with it not taking herself too seriously. The dress is really to die for.

2. Danielle December 4, 2009 at 09:20 #

I think Kate’s gown is Best Dressed of the Year-worthy!

3. Lexa December 4, 2009 at 09:23 #

I love Penelope here and I completely disagree with you on Nicole. By choosing this white enseble and beautiful high heeled sandals (heels at last) she stood out among all those gowns. When you looke at the group photos from that premiere, the first person you see is her, not all those beautiful ladies in gowns. :)

• Fashion Critic December 4, 2009 at 09:24 #

in those pictures you are referring to Penelope and Judi Dench stand out for me

• Anna December 5, 2009 at 00:17 #

I totally agree about Nicole. I think she looks great and her shoes are ‘fierce”!

4. Nilla December 4, 2009 at 09:32 #

Kate Hudson doesn’t have the class to pull of this type of gown.

Not a contender for me.

What I’m finding more and more annoying is that people just want to vote for their favourite celebrity.

Just because it’s Atelier Versace it doesn’t mean she pulled it off because she didn’t

• Stuti December 4, 2009 at 09:38 #

Agreed. The gown is beautiful, just not for her.
      Also, people vote for Diane Kruger in anything, or Blake Lively in anything, because they love celebrity, not the outfit.

• lee December 4, 2009 at 15:46 #

speaking of which, diane would look out of this world in this dress.

• justme December 4, 2009 at 13:16 #

And I can also say that just because it’s Kate Hudson it doesn’t mean she didn’t pull it off because she did ;)

I agree that people tend to vote for their faves but let’s keep it real, Kate is hardly loved around these parts lol.

5. Anita December 4, 2009 at 09:56 #

I totally agree with you both…if we are talking about fashion lets talk just about it dont matter if she is your cup of tea…
    By the way Penelope looks absolutely effortless outstanding…on the contrary Kate makes that gown to look little tacky. Difficult but possible…

6. Lee-Shay December 4, 2009 at 10:01 #

I think Penelope, Kate and Tolula are bdotw worthy.

7. Nikki L December 4, 2009 at 10:01 #

I’m not a fan of Penelope Cruz but she just looked gorgeous in her Ralph Lauren gown. Elegant and sophisticated.

I’m not voting for Kate Hudson as BDOTW. The gown might be gorgeous but she couldn’t pull it off. I agree about the hair. That’s with the headband or whatever it is that’s holding her hair back. I honestly think she’s trying too hard.

Nicole Kidman, her look was boring. Sure, it was different, wearing a skirt and a jacket instead of a gown but it didn’t make an impact.

I love the gown Tolula Adeyemi is wearing. So sexy!

• Fashion Critic December 4, 2009 at 10:07 #

I think it’s a plait in Kate’s hair

8. ayse December 4, 2009 at 10:11 #

Hmm,i think Nicole looks good but yeah i wish she’d wear a gown.Kate looks great and Penelope,My God she looks AMAZING.

9. Tania December 4, 2009 at 10:15 #

Love what Shingai has on BDOTW?

10. Bego December 4, 2009 at 10:28 #

i like Kate’s gown…. not sure if it’s BDOTW worthy though, i’ve read it above in someone else’s comment, just because the dress is amazing doesn’t mean she has to pull it off. But I must add as well that if we’re talking about Kate wearing her hair as she always does… that should include Penelope also.

11. Catherine December 4, 2009 at 10:29 #

I definitely think Kate is a BDOTW contender, although the hair is not quite right, i love everything else :)

12. Nicola December 4, 2009 at 10:30 #

I think Kate looks really cute in this gown and should be up fot BDOTW. The hair could have been a bit sleeker but if it was tied up she would have looked like a bride.

13. FashionLover December 4, 2009 at 10:57 #

I’m disappointed that ‘lady Dior’ wasn’t there…because here besides Penelope no one really stands out and even with Penelope I love the dress…the color,not so much.
    Judi Dench for BDOFTW, I know she doesn’t have a body like Helen Mirren but she looks really swell here…and I am sorry I cannot look at Rebecca Miller decause I cannot stop looking at what Daniel Day Lewis,one of my all time fav actors….but what is he wearing…the cowboy meets the circus!

14. Maggy December 4, 2009 at 10:59 #

I’m shouting: “Kate for BDOTW” ;)

15. Nawar December 4, 2009 at 11:10 #

I’m in love with Kate ,,
    the dress is amazing ,, the best dress I’ve seen on her so far
    it matches her playful personalty but soooo elegant at the same time

her hair remind me of Jennifer Aniston’s Hair at the Oscars

i think all of the stars have put effort in their looks except Nicole Kidman ,,
    Is she going to a job interview after words ! ,, oh God

16. Line December 4, 2009 at 11:11 #

Shingai Shoniwa´s look is so great.

It is different from the gowns and just so her. The shoes, the dress, the little jacket.
    WAUW!
    I say BDOTW

17. mm December 4, 2009 at 11:19 #

Dame Judi Dench wins for me. BDOTW, I like the color of her gown. I feel like they were all going for a part elegant part laid back look. She looks chic, nicely tanned and just Kool, love it.

In the group pictures I have seen Nicole stands out because she is the tallest even with the height working for her she looks too laid back, the look is polished but just boring. But I like her hair. Penelope and Kate didnt wow me. I love their gowns but I think the hair for the both of them needed to be better styled.

18. CreoleLady December 4, 2009 at 11:27 #

FC, I’ve followed your website for 2 years — love it!

I’m commenting for the first time because Dame Judi Dench blew me away. Lime herb, wow!

• Fashion Critic December 4, 2009 at 11:43 #

thanks for your support :) and Judi did look fab

19. CreoleLady December 4, 2009 at 11:32 #

Forgive the typos, I am using my BB Pearl and can’t see everything I type

• Fashion Critic December 4, 2009 at 11:42 #

no worries :)

20. YSLGirl December 4, 2009 at 11:43 #

That is so funny, I was picking dresses that I would love to see the cast wear and I got Kate Hudson’s right! I think she and Cruz are Best Dressed worthy. It’s a shame that Marion was a no-show.

21. Lara December 4, 2009 at 12:02 #

I actually love Nicole Kidman’s look, although I agree that it is not a premiere worthy one. This time the white trule makes her come alive, and for once she is NOT wearing those wretched kitten heels that she and Michelle Obama so favour.

22. mol December 4, 2009 at 12:17 #

I’m missing Marion for that really stellar look – both Kate and Penelope have beautiful dresses, but i’ve seen them look better. Outside of the cast, I thought Shingai Shoniwa and Toula Adeyemi both looked wonderful – Toula was my sexy, sleek goddess favorite. Oh yeh, and I thought Nicole looked good, loved seeing those legs in high heels at last and the short flirty skirt really worked – she has the best posture in the universe!

23. mol December 4, 2009 at 12:18 #

Sorry, how could I forget Dame Judi – she too looked great.

24. Sonja December 4, 2009 at 12:24 #

I love Pene here, she looks amazing, like a goddess! And I always love seeing Judi Dench, what a lady.
    I really can’t wait to see this movie!!!!

P.S. DDLewis looks way too cool.

25. Victoria December 4, 2009 at 13:02 #

Penelope and Kate both for BDOTW! :D

26. justme December 4, 2009 at 13:15 #

Considering that I also have an issue with Penelope’s hair and I like Kate’s dress a lot better, I’m gonna say Kate deserves her BDOTW nomination.

27. Linda December 4, 2009 at 13:15 #

Penelope looks awesome and so does Judi Dench.

28. Leti December 4, 2009 at 13:21 #

This was definitely a great red carpet. Penelope looked stunning–really effortless. I thought Kate did, too. In all the pics, you can tell she felt good about how she looked that night. I don’t why she’s getting dinged for her hair when other actresses, including Penelope, wore their hair down, as well.

PS–Did you see the coat the Penelope wore on the red carpet? Shearling with an unfinished hem, with that dress?! No!

29. Jennifer December 4, 2009 at 13:33 #

The reason I ultimately decided I didn’t think Kate is BDOTW is not in fact her hair…. but rather part of the dress.

The lower half looks flat from the way it stands up in the picture (yes, it might be the angle from which the photo was taken etc). I saw her close up and when she was smiling laughing with the photogs, she just exuded joy… but when I saw the bottom half of the dress there was just a lack of OOMPH that gives her the right to be in BDOTW for me.

30. robbie December 4, 2009 at 13:39 #

penelope, i hate the colour its rather dull looking. she looks good though.

kate, that dress went from fab to drab. it looks so lifeless on her.

rebecca, wow gorgeous dress and i actually like the tights with this looks.

shingai, its alright not wowed but not disappointed.

jasmine, her shoes actually match the carpet that is bad. the shawl is alright its better than a huge coat.

nicole, so elegant and tall. *pinches himself* HIGH HEELS! she has finally listened to our prayers and ditched the kitten heels.

judi, wow simple and elegant. i adore her she has to be one of the most beautiful women in the world and so glad she dresses her age and not younger.

tolula, i dont know if anyone else has mentioned it but she looks like you. at first when i saw her i thought it was you FC. gorgeous dress and necklace.

• Fashion Critic December 4, 2009 at 13:45 #

I wish I was as skinny as Toloula LOL

31. kiran sooknandan December 4, 2009 at 13:44 #

Damn, Kate wore the dress I wished to see on Nicole!

32. Anissa December 4, 2009 at 15:11 #

I love Kate’s Atelier Versace gown and it is BDOTW worthy, but her in it is not (boy I hope Miley C doesn’t try to wear it next!). I wish Nicole had worn it instead…
    Also I adore Dame Judy but that dress really does nothing for her.

33. Lucia December 4, 2009 at 16:16 #

Dame Judi Dench deserves BDOTW. She looks great!

And I like also Nicole, she didn’t need a big gown to look elegant.
    I think she was wearing Azzedine Alaïa SS 2010 .. http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2009/10/08/style/global/alaialg.jpg

• Fashion Critic December 4, 2009 at 19:17 #

looks very close to me. Thanks

34. Megan December 4, 2009 at 16:26 #

where was marion cotillard???

35. Megan December 4, 2009 at 16:27 #

and fergie lol?! theyre both in the movie as well and would have made this premiere sooooo much better!

36. sexysarahlovesibiza December 4, 2009 at 17:01 #

aarrrgh this is a great piece. found your site after reading the post on this event on Marians blog,she a redcarpet stylist.

kates atelier versace dress is amazing but the over all look on her is good but not great, feels like something is missing.

the ralph lauren dress is stunning.
    Shingai is so much fun.
    Tolula is so so sleek and sexy and elegant. everything about the look works.

I love your site!

• Fashion Critic December 4, 2009 at 19:16 #

thanks :D

37. Jessica December 4, 2009 at 18:12 #

Kate Hudson dress definately BDOTW worthy!!

38. VBlover December 4, 2009 at 18:25 #

even with the bad hair, Kate’s dress is GORGEOUS enough to be BDOTW for me!!!

39. alex December 4, 2009 at 19:14 #

I really like Kate’s gown but agree about the hair issue. But I have to say Daniel Day-Lewis for BTOTW! lol he is the one making the biggest fashion statement here!

40. yumey December 4, 2009 at 19:28 #

Shouting out ” Kate should be a BDOTW”
    and so should Penelope.They both look STUNNING.

41. zoe December 4, 2009 at 19:28 #

wowowwwwwww, toula adeyemi looks AMAZING! that dress was made for her. WOW. bdotw please? i’m really loving how she looks in the dress. she’s really owning the look.

and penelope is wearing one of my fave looks from the ralph lauren show. she also looks fab in it.

• Fashion Critic December 4, 2009 at 19:58 #

granted :)

42. Nat December 4, 2009 at 21:26 #

You should’ve shown the pictures of penelope and kate in their coat. They look like a flock of mess.

Nicole Kidman’s ensemble looks pretty good. It’s blazer and skirt, but still makes her look effortless andage-appropriate. Dame Judi Dench looks incredible in her yellow dress. The color is lovely.

43. Francesca December 5, 2009 at 14:24 #

A question – is Pen pregnant? I don’t see her bump. She’s my BDOTW.

44. lucas December 6, 2009 at 04:56 #

Where were Sophia, Fergie, and Marion?!?!