30.11.09

Hotel La Mamounia Re-Opening Gala

I really wanted to love Gwyneth Paltrow in her nude Donna Karan Spring 2010 one-sleeved gown, but for me something was severely lacking.

On the runway the shorter version had a contrasting tie around the waist to break-up the colour, and I wish Gwynie had added something to her look to do the same.

A brooch, a belt, some bracelets, a necklace…just anything to add a bit of life to her look would have made a huge difference.

The poker straight hair which we’ve seen a million times doesn’t help this look either.

Juliette Binoche thankfully opted for a bright red Lanvin Resort 2010 halter silk gown with a ruffled neckline.

I’m glad she opted out of the red bow on the waist, as it may have thrown the look off balance.

Black accessories and stunning ruby earrings complete the look.

Spanish actress Pilar Lopez de Ayala wore the same black floor-length Chanel Fall 2009 draped skirt which we saw on Jessica Schwarz at the Bambi Awards last week.

Pilar opted for a slightly different sleeveless shirt with a more pronounced collar.

Salma Hayek wore a black Gucci asymmetrical gown, which was accented with a brooch detail on the shoulder.

Not my favourite Salma look it has to be said.

She’s running hot and cold for me on the red carpet.

Of course Jennifer Aniston wore black ,and of course her hairstyle was EXACTLY the same as it’s always been.

Apparently her guest for the night was her hairstylist Chris McMillan.

This guy has the sweetest gig in Hollywood.

What does he do at the most? Trim her hair and run a comb through it?

Hey Chris, why don’t you do something crazy with Jennifer’s hair like put it up in a ponytail or an updo once in a while?

This Groundhog hairstyle is so b.o.r.i.n.g.

Whilst Jennifer proved my point that black dresses can be so boring, Miranda Kerr totally contradicts that by looking gorgeous in this very simple Burberry sleeveless gown.

A fierce pose, some stunning jewels, a sleek updo and gorgeous smile make the difference.

Credit: Style.com & Wireimage

Live Stream: Elie Saab Fall 2014 Couture

Live Stream: Elie Saab Fall 2014 Couture

'The Art of Progress' World Premiere of the New Audi A8

‘The Art of Progress’ World Premiere of the New Audi A8

13 Responses to Hotel La Mamounia Re-Opening Gala

1. Jennifer November 30, 2009 at 12:19 #

Pilar and the white eye make up ruins what is an absolute terrific dress for me. I love the collar, even the skirt and then… the eyes.

*Hits head against a wall* FC, there are apparently several make up artists we need to bring to their senses….

2. I Get a Fever November 30, 2009 at 13:23 #

Gwyneth doesn’t do justice to that dress. She looks thick in the waist – a ribbon or a belt would have made a huge difference. In fact, the shorter version looks much more interesting to me – the gown version is so plain.

3. justme November 30, 2009 at 13:27 #

We’re eye to eye FC cause I’ve been saying this for years, Jennifer’s hairstylist is robbing her big time. Not only the color and the style are ugly but it must take all of 5 minutes to achieve this look.
    To think that she flies him off in private jets to do her hair… I could do better lol.

• Fashion Critic November 30, 2009 at 13:28 #

we all could do a better job. Doesn’t he get about $40,000 per day….?

• Stuti November 30, 2009 at 14:02 #

:O
        He does?
        $40,000 is a LOT of money for hair that has been the same since the beginning of the millennium.

4. Kim November 30, 2009 at 14:20 #

Miranda looks great. Salma looks cute. Gwyneth is almost there for me minus the wide waist appearance of the dress.

5. Katie November 30, 2009 at 14:54 #

The colour of Gywenth’s dress drains her totally, fab style of dress though i think it would be lovely on someone with olive skin

6. Marvel November 30, 2009 at 15:55 #

While I do believe that Jen does need to chaneg her hairstyle, its very much her ‘signature’, but I do wish she does expermenting with it. Her black dress is a straight contradiction to the fab dresses she has worn recently. I love her, so I hope she changes her hairstyle and wears different colours

7. jared November 30, 2009 at 19:16 #

Wow. Miranda is pure perfection.

8. Jules O'C November 30, 2009 at 19:52 #

@ Gwynnie
    that’s because it’s boring ;)

9. mol November 30, 2009 at 22:57 #

Miranda, stunning; everyone else, almost but not quite.

10. b December 1, 2009 at 06:49 #

Ooooh, unlike you guys, I actually like Gwyneth’s look here. Her dress is gorgeous. And it looks good on her.

BTW, she should do something with her hair though.

11. Sue Jin December 2, 2009 at 03:54 #

I prefer the runway version to Gwyneth

Miranda looks AH-MAH-ZING!

Jennifer needs to break away from these safe, boring ol’ looks. I know her image has always been AMerica’s sweetheart and all but she has a fit body… she needs better dresses! and a better hairstyle!