25.11.09

Michelle Obama Wears Naeem Khan To Meet The Indian PM

There were no cardigans in sight when the First Lady Michelle Obama attended the first State Dinner at the White House last night held in honour of Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his wife Gursharan Kaur.

Many of the guest wore traditional evening gowns and saris of vibrant colours.

Michelle Obama wore a a one-of-a-kind sterling silver sequin abstract floral nude strapless custom made gown by Indian designer for the India-themed event.

She paired her dress with a matching shawl, large drop earrings and a collection of gold bracelets.

I think she looks absolutely breath-taking. I loved that she wore an Indian designer.

Whilst some may frown that she didn’t wear a traditional sari, I would imagine she would have been heavily criticized if she had.

Credit: Zuma Press

Leona Lewis' Obsession - Vivienne Westwood Dresses & Corset Belts

Leona Lewis’ Obsession – Vivienne Westwood Dresses & Corset Belts

In Rihanna's Closet - Diego Dolcini, Dean Quinn, Alexander McQueen & The Blonds

In Rihanna’s Closet – Diego Dolcini, Dean Quinn, Alexander McQueen & The Blonds

30 Responses to Michelle Obama Wears Naeem Khan To Meet The Indian PM

1. Desi Girl November 25, 2009 at 13:14 #

She’s gorgeous! Great outfit choice — a saree’s not an easy garment to manage and it was wise of her to stay away. If she accompanies her husband on the trip to India, she’ll have a great time shopping!

2. Hellwafashion November 25, 2009 at 13:15 #

Agree with you breathtaking, It was such a WOW moment when I saw that picture this morning.
    A perfect play.

3. sam November 25, 2009 at 13:19 #

thank god she didnt..love narrn khan..being an indian its such a proud moment..i think ms.obama luks outstanding..bdotw mayb?

• Fashion Critic November 25, 2009 at 13:21 #

mayb? ;)

4. mm November 25, 2009 at 13:22 #

Perfection!!! Gown, hair, makeup, accessories she is stunning. Michelle wins for me for BDOTW

5. Stuti November 25, 2009 at 13:36 #

I love how Michelle is the tallest here. So statusque, and so beautiful. I also love Mrs. Kaur’s saree.

6. antoneLLina November 25, 2009 at 13:42 #

i’m without words. she is fawless…she had never been so beautiful for me.
    i adore particularly the hair!

7. Ally November 25, 2009 at 13:44 #

Wow, this is the most beautiful she has ever looked! Her makeup looks great and her skin is flawless. Seriously stunning. I would also love to see her up for BDOTW.

8. Mar November 25, 2009 at 13:46 #

Pure elegance! She always looks flawless, love this woman.

9. GirlOne November 25, 2009 at 14:00 #

Gorgeous!

10. ella November 25, 2009 at 14:12 #

she’s definately getting my BDOTW vote…..she looks flawless.

11. Baertari November 25, 2009 at 14:15 #

I think picking an Indian designer was a wise compromise for not wearing a sari. Diplomacy AND fashion! Impressive!

12. Gaber November 25, 2009 at 14:46 #

I’ll be honest here – as a gay guy I have no idea how the girly parts look. BUT, this fruit wouldn’t go NEAR those two squashed up fruits M-babes is carrying to the market!

Seriously girls, if anyone is telling you to do that kind of things to your boobs, just say no. And might I suggest kicking him in the nuts so that he’ll learn his lesson for the next time! (Because we ALL know it’s a guy telling you that!)

(Above the boobs and below them though … so good! Seriously, love the make-up, the hair, the colour, … Perfect!)

• Sarah November 25, 2009 at 15:51 #

Sorry, but I disagree, they do not look squashed. We have seen much more drastic than this. I feel the dress looks snug enough to stay up and accentuate her lovely structure, but not so much that it looks awkward.

Absolutely love this look and her choice of designer!

13. gg November 25, 2009 at 15:56 #

mrs. obama looks stunning. glad she didn’t wear a sari, it’s not the easiest garment to handle and i think she’s to tall of it.

• gg November 25, 2009 at 16:02 #

* for it

14. anu November 25, 2009 at 16:11 #

umm i dont like the squashed boobies. and i believe, we recently dismissed some1 else for doing the same??
    also, i agree with PC completely. leave the sari to the (experienced) indians. its a VERY hard piece of garment to carry off.

15. anu November 25, 2009 at 16:13 #

also PC i HEART the YSL Draped silk-satin dress!!!! every week my heart cries silently to itself looking at your favorites! i always wonder how you deal with it esp cuz u actually get to see some of them!! ♥

16. Leo November 25, 2009 at 16:40 #

One word: WOW!
    Beautiful dress, great acessories, love her hair. Perfection.

17. Jennifer November 25, 2009 at 17:18 #

Perhaps this is just camera angels talking… but from the side picture, her hair looks like a cockatoo for me, and from the front it looks far too high for me to like her hair. Her boobs do look squashed from the front angle, but not the side picture. I think it was clever of her to have an Indian designer and not a sari, and I think the color is good, but for me, her hair and the views of the dress from directly in front are not flattering at all. I understand many people like this look, so please don’t rip into me for disliking it (as we are all entitled to our own opinions, and I almost always back up my opinions with exact reasons why I like or dislike looks.)

• Fashion Critic November 25, 2009 at 17:29 #

We all expect and respect differing opinions. Please feel free to always speak your mind :)

18. nicole November 25, 2009 at 17:36 #

love it! she looks amazing!! definitely a perfect choice for the indian themed night

19. mol November 25, 2009 at 18:54 #

Michelle Obama looks incredibly gorgeous here, but I too find the squashed boobies distracting. I think it pops out at you because she is standing next to Gursharan Kaur, who looks lovely but also, much much more conservative – the disjunction between the two leaves one feeling slightly weird…..In another context, I wouldn’t think twice about Michelle’s neckline.

On a positive note, I adore the bottom pix of Michelle with hubby gazing adoringly at her – who wouldn’t love that woman!

20. DM November 25, 2009 at 20:06 #

FINALLY! I am impressed! Michelle ACTUALLY wears something i love and that is befitting of a First Lady!!! WOOHOO! Although I wouldve preferred a modern take on a sari simply because of the occasion, I’ll take what i can get from her as she usually disappoints me!

21. Raquel November 26, 2009 at 01:17 #

“There were no cardigans in sight ” – And I’m thankful for that!

I think the chest are looks a tad squashed, but could be the picture. It’s stunning dress and jewels.

22. WendyB November 26, 2009 at 05:09 #

She looks amazing.

23. Kath November 26, 2009 at 05:34 #

best dressed of the week for sure :)

24. ahot November 26, 2009 at 15:04 #

Breathtaking. absolutely. She is close to perfection here and for once i love her hairdo. She is oh my so glowing!!! so sexy! a very good choice indeed

25. ahot November 26, 2009 at 15:05 #

one-of-a-kind indeed

26. Maria November 26, 2009 at 22:19 #

Why on earth should she wear a sari? She’s American and representing America. Beautiful dress and color.