24.11.09

Social Events Of The Week

“A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To Cure Parkinson’s” Benefit, New York

Whilst trying to keep up with Fashion Week, LeeAnn sent me a note to tell me to make sure I looked at the Dries van Noten Spring 2010 collection.

I’m glad she did because I instantly fell in love with the ethnic prints and the one-sleeved blazers.

I often wondered who would be the first to wear this collection, and that honour went to Julianne Moore.

She looked fabulous in this hard to pull off ensemble.

Her ethnic print wrap dress was paired with a black blazer trimmed with a white strip to complete this unusually chic look.

Granted it won’t be everyone’s cup of tea, but I love it.

Wow.

Katharine McPhee blows me away wearing a Marchesa Fall 2009 one shoulder sculpted dress.

I’m even loving the hair with this look.

Either I’m coming down with something or Katharine just hit her first home run.

BDOTW contender.

Alexa Chung opted for a cheap yet chic Topshop studded one-shoulder dress paired with booties.

She arrived wearing a questionable leopard print coat.

‘Late Show With David Letterman’, New York

My first reaction was that I didn’t like Ashley Greene in this Bottega Veneta Resort 2010 striped suit, but after so many great red carpet dresses this look feels refreshing.

It also shows that both Ashley and her stylist are thinking outside the box, and not playing it safe.

My main problem is actually the striped shirt, because the suit is not so bad.

I think I would’ve loved this look if the shirt was a solid colour, or if Ashley had worn the same suit Penelope Cruz wore back in July.

London Evening Standard Theatre Awards, London

Anna Friel loves Antonio Berardi as she has worn his pieces many times before.

Not so many times that she needs an intervention like Leona Lewis does from Vivienne Westwood, but enough to know she appreciates his stunning designs.

The textured dress had an asymmetrical chiffon detail that moved beautifully on the runway.

Black pumps complete the look.

Christmas Illuminations Launch On The Champs-Elysees, Paris

Just last week I was complaining that we haven’t seen enough of Balenciaga’s Fall 2009 collection on the red carpet, and here we have Charlotte Gainsbourg upping the count to make 3 following Carine Roitfeld and Salma Hayek.

The actress arrived at this event wearing one of the printed plunging blouses paired with the lace bandeau, leather pants and peep-toe heels.

Aching cool as always.

“Brothers” New York Screening

For some reason I just can’t fall in love with Natalie Portman wearing this cute Jason Wu Spring 2010 strapless mini dress.

The dress has all the ingredients to make Natalie shine: the ruffles, the colour, the length and the contrasting waist belt, but it gets no love from me and I can’t figure out why.

The actress paired her dress with Aldo purple heels.

Emma Roberts opted for a Miu Miu Resort 2010 summery dress brought down with thick tights.

Navyboot Store Opening, Germany

Monica Cruz hasn’t yet met a Herve Leger bandaged dress she didn’t like.

This is 3 in a row.

Before Cheryl Cole, Cat Deeley was the nations sweetheart.

The TV presenter arrived at this event wearing Givenchy Holly strappy leather heels with a Preen Matt Lightening dress.

If you are thinking the dress looks a bit awkward, that’s because the thick strap on Cat’s right shoulder – as we are looking at it – should be on her left shoulder.

Regardless she still looks fabulous.

Credit: Style.com, London Features & Wireimage

In Cat Deeley's Closet - Preen Matt Lightening Dress & Givenchy Heels

In Cat Deeley’s Closet – Preen Matt Lightening Dress & Givenchy Heels

Runway To 'Oasis of the Seas' Performance - Rihanna In David Koma

Runway To ‘Oasis of the Seas’ Performance – Rihanna In David Koma

27 Responses to Social Events Of The Week

1. YSLGirl November 24, 2009 at 17:36 #

I like how Cat mixed up her Preen dress. It doesn’t look awkward to me.

Julianne Moore is one of the best dressed actresses at the moment. I love how she tries different designers.

Emma should’ve worn lighter tights.

Another Marchesa outfit. *yawn*

I love Natalie in that dress. Everything, including her accessories is so colourful. BUT we’ve seen this look on her so many times, but in different variations.

Anna Friel looks amazing!

Ashley Greene actually pulls this look off.

I love Charlotte’s blouse.

• eimear November 24, 2009 at 18:37 #

Yeah natalie portman has worn that almost exact same look in a Lanvin dress..zzz…mix it up nat!

2. ImanLover November 24, 2009 at 17:53 #

Ashley would have looked so nice with a solid feminine blouse inside…
    And Katherine: Stunning much?
    Emma would have looked prettier with a little makeup.
    Julianne and Anna look so different yet the outfits suit them to the T. Totally chic.
    Thanks for the pictures F.C!

3. Ally November 24, 2009 at 18:11 #

I like Julianna Moore’s outfit, but I wish she had left off the tights. It just feels so heavy with the black jacket.

Anna Friel and Cat look wonderful. Cat always wears the most interesting dresses on So You Think You Can Dance and I miss Anna’s outfits on Pushing Daisies.

I think the problem with Natalie’s look is that she doesn’t look comfortable. It might just be this picture, but she looks stiff and angry. I think some jewelry would have also helped.

• LeeAnn November 25, 2009 at 10:34 #

Ally-couldn’t agree more-also think the necklace is needed as it pulls the piece together-have put my name down for all 3 pieces and i few others. Can’t wait to get them but it bugs me that us mere mortals have to wait months to receive spring which by the time we do, the freebie celebs will have moved onto the next season. So not fair as I am the one that contributes to their bottom line

4. Sophie Peters November 24, 2009 at 18:23 #

I usually love Natalie Portman’s looks, but totally agree with you here. I think the shoes and the clutch cheapen the look. And I swear she already wore the purple version before?! Or maybe that was in a magazine I can’t remember! There is quiet a big gap between the sash and the ruffles and that looks odd too. x

5. C Kay November 24, 2009 at 18:29 #

I really like the jason wu dress and i think you are right its hard to pinpoint why this just isnt working on natalie. The colour is lovely and she has mixed the different colours on the belt and bag well, i think its just because the dress looks like it has been put on a mannequin from the way she is standing sooo straight and the stern look on her face!!!!

Poor Cat she may cringe when she realises she wore the dress wrong but she still looks stunning!

That herve leger dress kind of reminds of the dress stacie solomon was wearing on the x factor at the weekend, do u know where hers is from FC?

• Fashion Critic November 24, 2009 at 18:44 #

Suzanne Neville. A lot of the girls wore pieces from this designer.

6. eimear November 24, 2009 at 18:33 #

Yay! Im glad you did a post on Ashley Greenes suit, I was gonna send a link to it! I think its really nice suit, and refreshing for her, even with the little rolled up trousers.. I think a white ruffled blouse woulda been perrrfect! The stripes make it look a bit too 80’s business suit!

7. mm November 24, 2009 at 19:01 #

The hair is a wreck and ruins the look for Emma and Monica. Katharine McPhee wins for me for this event!
    Ashley’s shoe choice was not the best. I felt she needed a more substantial sandal or pump. That one strap shoe gives me the feel of a flip flop. Charlotte has on a boot pant with open toe pump or sandal, and the fit with the shoe looks odd. Natalie is missing her smile in this pic. I feel like for her accessories she just pick random colors off that color wheel they just dont work well together.

8. Vera November 24, 2009 at 19:37 #

LOVE Emma and Julianne.

Don’t like Katharine – Marchesa is too predictable.

It’s nice to see Natalie, but Lanvin ruffles are sooo much better)

9. Bego November 24, 2009 at 19:52 #

it’s a nice change to see Ashley in that suit, although you’re right and a plain shirt would have looked way better, at least for me.
    And i really like Julianne Moore’s outfit! i think it suits her perfectly.

10. stilettolover91 November 24, 2009 at 20:50 #

Katharine & Cat both look incredible!! I definitely think Kat should be a BDOTW contender!!

11. mol November 24, 2009 at 22:15 #

The best looks for me are Anna Friel and Cat Deeley. I love Emma’s Miu Miu resort, but like FC, I dislike the tights – too bad!

12. T from Sydney November 24, 2009 at 22:21 #

ashley has taken her hair extension out., i like the suit but it looks ike she gains like 10 kg, but ive seen another pic for her heels they are hot. can anyone ID the heels?

13. Rebecca November 24, 2009 at 23:08 #

My issue with Natalie’s dress is that it’s so similar to the Lanvin ruffle dresses she wore during Cannes last year. It’d be nice to see her branch out a bit.

14. Elisa November 24, 2009 at 23:36 #

FC, don’t you just wish you had red hair and fair skin, when you look at Julianne Moore? I sure do! :-) She is perfection.

• Fashion Critic November 25, 2009 at 07:28 #

I always wanted to be a red head as a kid. I never understood why people teased them at school.

I’ve always seen it as so beautiful

15. Danika November 25, 2009 at 00:23 #

I Loooove Natalie Portman in this look. There are better pictures of her at this event than the one chosen, she looks rather awkward in this one. In other pictures she oozes confidence…. I love the bright colours

• Fashion Critic November 25, 2009 at 07:27 #

Not on the picture agency I use

16. Talita November 25, 2009 at 02:00 #

For me what didn’t work in Natalie’s look is the use of color. She added too many, if she wore a nude louboutin and a pink clutch it would look completely different. Yellow, Green, Blue and Purple?

• YSLGirl November 25, 2009 at 09:08 #

Nude Louboutins would’ve been predictable, then again she seems to be choosing very predictable dresses lately.

17. Laura November 25, 2009 at 04:58 #

I think Julianne looks really sophisticated. I just wish she didn’t wear the black tights. Katharine looks so elegant and lady-like. I think the contrast of the blonde hair with the black dress makes the look. The color with black and white stripes looks kinda prisoner-like to me and is really throwing me off.

The details of Anna’s dress make it not another typical LBD. I wasn’t sure about Charlotte’s outfit, but her attitude pulls the look together for me. I feel like Natalie’s pose doesn’t match the outfit. She needs to smile and have fun with it. I feel like Kristen Bell could’ve pulled this off so much better.

I don’t really have a problem with Emma’s tights, as I think it makes a summery dress look more wintery. But I wish she would’ve gone with a different color in the shoes. I don’t think Monica gets it, there’s nothing about a Herve Leger Bandage Dress that’s fashion forward. I agree with you about Cat. It’s too much on the right shoulder. Also, I don’t like the black and clunky shoes with that look.

18. Rama Dimas November 25, 2009 at 05:49 #

Julianne Moore looked so divine in that batik-inspired printed dress :) I love Dries Van Noten Spring 2010!!
    Katherine McPhee sure looked lovely in that Marchesa dress :)
    Charlotte Gainsbourg also looked tres chic in that Balenciaga Fall 2009
    LOVE IT!

19. amelia November 25, 2009 at 17:43 #

alright, I know matchy-matchy can be quite boring, but pairing a blue dress with purple shoes and a yellow clutch is just too much for my fashion sense… watch out next time, natalie portman!

20. danielezka November 25, 2009 at 21:05 #

Katharine McPhee makes me think that it can’t be that hard to look as gorgeous as she looks, you just have to pick a beautiful dress, that stands outs but that’s not OTT… but looking how she outshine everyone else in this post I guess it’s not that simple :p

21. Lulu November 27, 2009 at 00:40 #

I have the same fur coat as Alexa! It’s from topshop, and when styled correctly looks fab!