23.11.09

2009 American Music Awards

Best Dressed Award
It’s been a long while since I was wowed by Fergie, but the singer did just that at the AMAs last night.

The singer walked the red carpet wearing an Armani Privé Fall 2009 black gown with asymmetrical zipper detailing which leads to a dramatic front slit.

The gown sparkles with thousands of black triangular paillettes and is embellished with tiny Swarovski crystals.

Fergie’s gown is slightly modified from the runway as the neckline differs plus Fergie’s gown has straps.

Black Louboutin’s plus a bracelet, armlet and large ring complete this stunning look.

Best Mini Dress Award
Alicia Keys has been a longtime friend of Giorgio Armani, so it’s not a surprise to see the singer wearing one of his stunning designs.

Her modified Giorgio Armani Spring 2010 cobalt blue, jewel encrusted strapless dress had an origami pleated detail on the bust which is more dramatic than the runway version.

I’m loving the aqua marine shades of blue, and the cute Swarovski crystal embellished shorts she wore under her dress.

She picked a fun piece from this collection that truly embodied the spirit of the AMAs.

Most Dramatic Award
Whilst most below were picking out cute nude dresses, Rihanna opted for a dramatic black and white floral laser cut Marchesa Spring 2010 strapless gown.

I loved this gown and it needed a strong personality to pull it off, and Rihanna did in my opinion.

I will guess a lot of you will hate this look, but she gets a thumbs up from me even with those white shoes.

Nice Dress, Shame About The Hair Award
Shakira seems to be developing a healthy obsession with Versace, as this is her 3rd Versace red carpet look in a row.

This sexy Versace Spring 2010 ultra mini yellow dress with cut-out details was perfect for someone with tons of sex appeal like Shakira, but I couldn’t help but feel that they ran out of time to style her hair.

It felt a bit flat against her stunning dress which she paired with the Spring 2010 runway heels.

Looks Way Better On The Red Carpet Award
This Christian Cota Spring 2010 ivory dress could have gone oh so wrong on Kristen Bell had she worn it as it was presented on the runway.

She only pulled up the skirt a few inches and removed the chains, but it makes a world of difference.

Silver Christian Louboutin Archidisco T-strap sandals and a Judith Leiber clutch completed this cute look.

Inspired By Taylor Swift Award
Had Taylor Swift been at this event, this silver Talbot Runhof Spring 2010 mini dress is what we would’ve expected her to wear.

Selena Gomez is sparkling both via her dress and her winning smile wearing her dress with Rock & Republic’s “Romy” strappy sandals embellished with chain detail.

I’m really loving this look as Selena tends to dress way too mature and boring for her young age.

Toned Down Bling Award
Like Taylor, Carrie Underwood used to have an obsession with over embellished dresses.

On this occasion she looked beautiful wearing a metallic one-shouldered Theia dress paired with amazing gold strappy sandals.

Nude Award
From the nude make-up, to the nude dress and the nude Guiseppe Zanotti heels, Demi Lovato needed something to inject a bit of life into her look.

Luckily her Jenny Packham Spring 2010 dress has a jeweled detail on the neckline to stop this look from being so boring and totally washing her out.

Va Va Voom Award
No matter was Sofia Vergara wears she’s going to look sexy.

Even if she was wearing a bin liner.

Whilst most opted for Music Award standard mini dresses, Sofia wowed in a nude Emilio Pucci one-shoulder gown which no doubt would’ve had men going weak at the knees.

Kate Beckinsale Will Be Green With Envy Award
It seems that since Paula Abdul left ‘American Idol’ that she’s had a style transformation.

Gone are those tacky costumey dresses, and in comes this stunning strapless lace mermaid hem gown.

The gown was so grand she need 2 people to help her walk down the red carpet.

I can’t remember the last time she looked this amazing.

Out Of Place Award
I love the delicate lace details on Nicole Kidman’s Balenciaga one-shoulder gown.

The pink and grey colours are gorgeous on her, but she always looks so out of place at these music events.

Worst Dressed Award
As much as I should be loving Kelly Clarkson’s dress based on the amount of embellishments are covering her dress, it fails to flatter her.

Needs To Check Out Style.com Award
Can someone please introduce Leona Lewis to Style.com.

She needs to be made aware that there are other designers out there than just Vivienne Westwood.

Yes she makes great designs, but Leona is only picking pieces that look exactly the same and it’s getting incredibly boring now.

I’ll lose it if I have to refer to those clunky ankle boots and that corset belt, so I’m going to pass.

What’s Happening? Award
Keri Hilson used to be so interesting to watch on the red carpet, but her look has started to become boring and stale.

I hope she gets back to her best soon, because she can do better than a LBD.

[nggallery id=244]

Credit: Style.com, Wireimage, and Giorgio Armani for the sketches

Runway To "Make Me" Music Video - Janet Jackson In Todd Lynn

Runway To “Make Me” Music Video – Janet Jackson In Todd Lynn

Leighton Meester For Glamour UK December 2009

Leighton Meester For Glamour UK December 2009

43 Responses to 2009 American Music Awards

1. Dorian Gray November 23, 2009 at 13:01 #

I LOVE Shakira in yellow Versace mini dress.
    Could you please add something about Lady Gaga, Bayoncé and Janet Jackson?
    Thanks FC :-)

2. S November 23, 2009 at 13:07 #

Which season is Nicole’s Balenciaga dress from?

3. sam November 23, 2009 at 13:17 #

was beyonce even present?i dnt think so..r the sketches exclusive to u f.c?ahem ahem..loving it.;)
    alicia keys ,fergie and riri lukd amazing..wats up wid leona?gawd black=boring=fire ur stylist.;)

• Fashion Critic November 23, 2009 at 13:25 #

Not sure if they are exclusive, but they were very kind to send them to me.

• MEME November 23, 2009 at 18:47 #

I would love if you’d make a post full of croquis from designers…… I love to see original sketches matched wit’ the final product……

4. la poubelle November 23, 2009 at 13:25 #

fergie, alicia & shakira looked AMAZING! i’m still in the fence over rihanna’s look
    a few years ago i would have expected her to turn up in Marchesa but not now…
    do you have any of the performance looks? i saw the J-Lo rehearsal but i’d love to know what she wore on the night

• Fashion Critic November 23, 2009 at 13:28 #

I will do the performance looks later. I gotta go to a meeting now.

5. sam November 23, 2009 at 13:28 #

jlo was wearing a white mini dress with cut out details..cud u please id that dres..its a req.:)

• MEME November 23, 2009 at 18:47 #

Gucci Spring 2010

6. miller November 23, 2009 at 13:30 #

ewwwwwww I hate Shakira’s shoes they are ugly.
    Rihanna looks fab but I still hate her hairstyle.
    Kristen Bell looks gorgeous.
    thanks for those Armani sketches they are fab.

• Dorian Gray November 23, 2009 at 13:48 #

I think Shakira’s shoes are very funny and a different way to express style, would have been better a pair of Louboutins??

7. miller November 23, 2009 at 13:32 #

where’s J-Lo ?????????

• Fashion Critic November 23, 2009 at 13:36 #

she wasn’t on the red carpet

8. ella November 23, 2009 at 13:35 #

i love rihanna’s dress and the white shoes.so dramatic. and fergie is perfection. shakira and alicia also looks great as they bring some colour to the red carpet.

Demi Lavato is chanelling her inner katy perry and she looks o.k. i think the problem with Keri Hilson is her hairstyle..it just doesnt suit her and makes her look a bit different. ure right FC, she can do better than that.
    leona should do something with her hair if she wants to be edgey. those ugly boots even makes matters worse.

• Fashion Critic November 23, 2009 at 13:45 #

I think you are right. It is the hair

• lidka November 23, 2009 at 20:15 #

I totally agree. leona is such a beautiful girl, i don’t know what inspired her to wear ankle boots that make her legs look like tiny hooves and that horribly unflattering dress! plus that makeup! it;s a shame, really….

9. LeeAnn November 23, 2009 at 13:35 #

Fergie and Armani-2 names I never thought I would see in the same sentence!
    By the way ,could you post a picture of the dress she wears in the new video-Halfway ? and cite the designer-it is getting good blog press

10. robbie November 23, 2009 at 14:02 #

fergie, she looks good but i hate the hair though and i dont like that slit at the front being so high.

alicia, its a gorgeous dress dont like the matching shoes though.

rihanna, oh i was really hoping to hate what she was wearing but it is actually very nice, but that hair oh god please someone get that dyed back to black.

shakira, the dress and shoes are amazing. those shoes look dangerous imagine trying to walk down the stairs in those.

kristen, oh i hate that little bit of skin showing between the top and the skirt very tragic.

selena, *yawn* even wearing a cute dress like that she still looks boring.

carrie, why doesnt she just enter some stupid beauty pageant she always looks like she belongs in one. she is wearing jimmy choo verity sandals.

demi, she looks like a wax work shame since she has a cute dress.

sofia, gorgeous dress and such an amazing figure.

paula, stunning dress but what the heck is that thing around her wrist?!?!?!

nicole, beautiful dress but i agree she always looks out of place.

kelly, i love the dress just not on her.

leona, i really do wish she would just fall off the face of the planet. she tries to appear edgy but this girl has as much personality as a tesco carrier bag. the boots are hideous frankenstein would love those clunky things.

keri, haha she looks like a drag queen. what is up with so many women going for the drag queen/tranny chic lastely.

• la poubelle November 23, 2009 at 14:14 #

yeah is paula wearing armour?
      and so true about leona and keri

11. antoneLLina November 23, 2009 at 14:08 #

i love fergie, rihanna and nicole kidman.
    fergie: i can’t find anything wrong. she’s just perfect here!
    rihanna: after an infinite number of ensamble not to my liking, I can finally say wow
    nicole: simply ethereal. love everythink in her look here, and i think that it would have been displaced for anyone, not for her. especially i adore her with this hair

12. antoneLLina November 23, 2009 at 14:09 #

ps: leona: what the hell??????????????? are you going crazy????

13. C Kay November 23, 2009 at 14:25 #

Fergie looks gorgeous in that Armani dress I think her curves really do it justice, although i am not really sure what is going on with the bangle half way up her arm and that huge ring.. she should have left the accessories the dress says it all itself!

Shakira’s cut out dress is fab, but i definitely agree with you FC, the hair does let her down here!

I really like that Jenny Packham nude dress maybe paired with some jewelled sandals though, demi has chosen too much nude!!! I’m also thinking this dress would suit somene blonde more!!

14. Lexa November 23, 2009 at 14:48 #

For me Nicole never looks out of place at such events. Neither do other actors attending such as Kate Hudson whom Nicole was on stage. And who cares if she is out of place or not when she looks this beautiful?
    I also love Alicia and Fergie here :)

15. Ahot November 23, 2009 at 14:59 #

rihana rocks!
    i need this dress in my life!

16. Kate November 23, 2009 at 15:18 #

Kate Beckinsale Will Be Green With Envy Award… lol, brilliant
    Love Rihanna’s dress. Cristen and selena look cute
    Want Versace shoes soo bad

17. Dora November 23, 2009 at 16:01 #

Sofia Vergara looks so elegantn and I’m glad Kristen Bell wears her dress unlike the runway. And as usual I love what Rihanna is wearing. BTW Fergie, nice improvement hope to see you more so wel dressed.

18. Anna November 23, 2009 at 16:28 #

Leona needs to get a new look, nearly every public appearance she’s made lately is a version of that black dress!!

As for Kelly…what was her stylist/friends thinking letting her out like that. Totally unflattering. It is absolutely possible to look amazing on the red carpet even if you are larger than the usual hollywood set…just put the effort in. It looks like she grabbed the nearest black sack, stuck some embellishment on it and off she went.

19. mol November 23, 2009 at 16:47 #

Rihanna knocks it outta the park for me – spectacular!

Only other outfit i really liked was Shakira’s.

20. easyBlake November 23, 2009 at 17:08 #

It’s the worst/boring hair event ever! In fact, if you put a hand over Kelly Clarkson’s face, you can see that the body is just normal, fine, unimpressive – her wet-styled wavy limp hair is her downfall. Also, see: Alicia Keys, yuck; Keri Hilson, old; Rihanna, rooster; Carrie, prom.

::hangshead:: I like Leona’s ankle boots, in general. Not with every minidress she owns. She and Alicia Keys have similar legs, and I would like to see them choose shoes that emphasize length, rather than cut them off at the ankles.

Filed under love – Rihanna’s dress, Paula Abdul, Carrie’s dress, Fergie (didn’t recognize her!).

21. Kyutipye November 23, 2009 at 17:24 #

I am not feeling Fergie’s dress, and the heels are rather boring.
    Alicia Keys, YES BABY! absolutely stunning. Not really loving the hair but the dress and shoes definately make up for it. Those are some shoes!!

Rihanna oh Rihanna … such a breathtaking outfit. I was getting tired of the whole goth/rock chick look, but WOW! for me BDOTW!! At first, I thought the shoes a bit tame, but with a dress like that, you dont need shoes that will compete with it. I also preferher hair black.
    Shakira kills it in the yellow versace, except for the shoes. i even like the hair.
    Kristen … um … NO!
    Selena, its just ok for me.
    Carrie looks cute, but i’m not feeling the hair.
    Demi’s dress is Beautiful, but she is too washed out. Even the beutiful jeweled detail cannot salvage her. Love the hair and makeup though.
    Loving Sofia Vergara.Sexiness all the way.
    Not too keen about Paula Abdul’s look.
    Nor Nicole Kidman’s.
    Somebody should have just throwna coat over Kelly and whisked he off somewhere, ughhh!
    … and taken Leona and Keri Hilson along. What is up with Keri? The hair is so wrong on her and that makeup just makes her look OLD!

Lovely post, cant wait for the performance pics.

• gg November 23, 2009 at 22:26 #

rihanna’s dress is indeed breathtaking. it’s a piece of art :))

22. Kim November 23, 2009 at 17:41 #

Fergie looked great although I am not sure if she’s my best dressed.

I liked AK’s dress although it didn’t quite translate on her from the runway. I hated the shoes. She could have used the Choo’s from your wish list, Fc!

I LOVED Rihanna’s dress. I even like her hair. Hated the shoe choice though.

I liked Shakira’s look minus the shoes and was even OK with her hair. Carrie Underwood gets my vote for love the dress but it’s a shame about the Dolly Parton 80’s hair award.

Demie- Cute Patootie!

Sofia – HOT I think she was my best dressed.

Paula- that is soooo Kate Beckinsale! LOL

Keri- snooze.

23. Kim November 23, 2009 at 17:42 #

And Kelly was a HOT MESS.

24. Paulo November 23, 2009 at 17:45 #

Nicole looks amazing. To me she always stands out and is never out of placed. I would have her look this beautiful at any event and won’t have it any other way.

She is best dressed in this event.

25. MEME November 23, 2009 at 18:49 #

Did Leona Lewis wear that dress before??????….. yes she definately needs to check out style.com……

Normally I love Marchesa…… but I just wasn’t feelin’ Rihanna’s look……. the cut outs confused me….. I love the shape of the dress….. or maybe it’s her Colonel Guile hairdo that’s makin’ it iffy for me……

Kelly Clarkson needs to fire her stylist for makin’ her look like a Grandma……

• Fashion Critic November 23, 2009 at 19:04 #

many times in various lengths

26. Samantha November 23, 2009 at 20:31 #

Leona Lewis in three words: BORING AS HELL. Seriously, at least when we had the girly dresses and tights she wore different pieces but now she’s just modifiying the same dress over and over again. It’s like she just took away the tulle of her EMA’s gown. Double yawn

27. Christina November 23, 2009 at 22:01 #

Is it me, or do Demi’s eyebrows look weird.

28. Katie November 23, 2009 at 23:55 #

I think Lady Gaga should have won or at least tied for the most dramatic award. After her performance, the outfit she changed into of course, didn’t disapoint.

29. mm November 24, 2009 at 02:47 #

Nicole wins for me. She looks stunning!
    Love Rihanna’s gown also. She looks so happy.

30. Angela November 24, 2009 at 04:37 #

I LOVE the Marchesa dress that Rihanna wore and she pulled it off okay, but I felt like it was one of those artistic dresses that are meant for runway only….or in a museum! :D

31. JJ November 24, 2009 at 21:03 #

I think Keri Hilson’s false lower lashes are NOT WORKING A-AT ALL

32. Alfredo November 24, 2009 at 22:54 #

Fergie looks amazing!!!

Alicia looks good but much better on the sketch, I think it’s the hair and not seeing the slit on the leg.

Thank you for the sketches!

Rihanna, it shows skin so I can see why she wore it, if it wasn’t because of that I doubt she would of chosen this.

Shakira looks ok, ther boobs look a bit squished.

Kristen looks gorgeous as does Selena and Carrie.

No words for Kelly, that hair is horrible.

As for Leona, she looks good, but yeah her dresses are all looking the same. I know that she’s collaborating with Vivienne Westwood on this album like Beyonce/Thierry Mugler and Kylie/JPG but still, get a different pattern for the dress, the champaigne gown that she wore in her CD booklet is amazing.