16.11.09

MOCA 30th Anniversary Gala

This event has got to be one of the Best Dressed events I’ve ever seen, as everyone made a magnificent effort.

I’ve never been one to go gaga over Chloe Sevigny, but I absolutely LOVE her in this Miu Miu Spring 2010 dress.

It’s something only the likes of Chloe and Zooey Deschanel could pull off without looking like a grown woman dressing childishly.

Her bejewelled turtle neck dress is so playful and dainty, plus I love her neutral accessories which complement her dress well.

*Sighs*

Kate Beckinsale blew me away at this event.

I love the way her midnight green asymmetrical Andrew GN Spring 2010 gown appears to snake around her toned body.

The draping is magnificent, the embellished belt and shoulder detail adds texture and the look is pulled together with an elegant updo.

This is one of my favourite looks from Kate, who completed the look with a black Jenny Packham Baguette clutch.

Christina Ricci wasn’t brave enough to wear the runway version of this Prada Spring 2010 cloque baby doll dress, but she settled on a forest green modified version which she accented with a silver waist band.

Christina isn’t shy at taking risks, but baring her panties at this event wouldn’t have been quite appropriate.

Is it me or does Christina change her hair colour every time she hits the red carpet?

Jessica Alba’s also opted for a Prada Spring 2010 cloque halter dress.

Looking at the closet match to the runway, I would have preferred her to have worn the runway look as it’s far more interesting.

Red satin Prada heels and a red velvet Prada Velluto Sere clutch from the Fall 2009 collection complete this rather tame look.

It looks like what we saw on the Prada and Miu Miu Spring 2010 runway’s may not be exactly what we will see in the boutique’s.

Eva Mendes’ Miu Miu Spring 2010 black and beige dress, takes the jewel embroidered detail from the runway look to perfect her sexy sheath dress.

I adore her look, especially the hair accessory which adds a bit of pizazz to her classy updo.

The edgier runway version wouldn’t have quite worked for her.

Normally I can match a dress to a celebrity the moment I see it on the runway, which also helps me memorize runway looks.

This Marchesa Spring 2010 embroidered black tulle gown with draped sleeves looks like it was made for Shirley Manson, despite that fact that I would never have consider her for this stunning gown.

The singer gives the gown a romantic Gothic vibe I don’t believe Georgina Chapman was going for, but Shirley really works this look.

Daisy Fuentes saw the magic which Gustavo Cadile created for Catherine Zeta-Jones last week, and created it for herself wearing one of his luscious gowns.

I love the amethyst colour of her Spring 2009 halter chiffon gown, which is slightly modified from the runway as hers has jeweled straps.

This would’ve been the reason she pulled back her hair, so we could see that stunning detail.

Last week Lady GaGa and Carine Roitfeld opted for risque looks from Dolce & Gabbana’s Spring 2010 collection, but Gwen Stefani opted for something less revealing.

The singer walked the red carpet with her husband wearing a white bustier with a black lace trim, paired with tapered pants from the same collection.

Sexy strappy sandals completed her look.

I keep looking at Zoe Saldana’s strapless Marchesa Spring 2010 tulle column gown with sequin detail and keep thinking that something is missing.

I think a waist band, either contrasting or the same colour of the gown would have given her more of a defined waist.

The actress carried a black Jenny Packham Lipstick clutch to complete her look.

I’m so thankful Carine Roitfeld removed all those OTT silver embellishments from her Balmain Spring 2009 as they were overkill.

The dress is much more appealing without all that bling, and I’m a girl who love a bit of bling.

Christian Louboutin Supra Fifre 120 thigh-high boots complete this effortless look.

Unlike most of the others on this red carpet, Kate Bosworth doesn’t really rock my world.

Her animal print Proenza Schouler Spring 2010 dress is nice enough, but she could’ve blown us away with much more interesting pieces from this collection.

I will always love how Rose McGowan always gives us va-va-voom.

Jessica Rabbit eat your heart own.

Rose’s red Donna Karan Pre-Fall 2009 gown is so sensual and divine.

Of course she adds a red lip to her look.

My only criticism is that she would have looked a hell of a lot better with her hair pulled back.

Fashionista Liz Goldwyn always likes to wear the unexpected.

Her fruity watermelon Sonia Rykiel Spring 2010 jumpsuit was paired with a dazzling pair of heels from the same collection.

Miuccia Prada makes her self designed Prada Spring 2010 dress more wearable, by adding a shirt dress under her chandelier-styled crystal embroidered dress.

Carey Mulligan was also wearing Prada, like so many others.

The Oscar hopeful donned a heavily embroidered Prada Spring 2010 dress paired with shoes with a clear heel from the same collection.

She just keeps getting it right. I predict hope she blows us away this coming Awards season.

One person who never lets me down on the red carpet is Marisa Tomei.

I’m just loving this burst of colour.

The actress wore a 1950s Jean Desses Haute Couture bubble-gum pink cocktail dress from Decades Inc.

Boucheron jewels and a Leiber purse complete this outstanding look.

This is one I will come back to drool over again and again.

Rachel Zoe opted for a one-shouldered Pucci gown

Ciara might have been wearing those fierce Christian Louboutin studded pigalle’s but the rest of her look is really disappointing.

When so many stepped outside the box, or wowed us with drama and colour Ciara’s look is very blah and uninspired.

Mr & Mrs Snoozeville were there also.

She was wearing Armani Prive.

[nggallery id=238]

Credit: Style.com, London Features, Bauer Griffin, Getty & Wireimage

51 Comments
Runway To X Factor Week 6 - Dannii Minogue In Lisa Ho

Runway To X Factor Week 6 – Dannii Minogue In Lisa Ho

Runway To Heathrow Airport - Victoria Beckham Carrying A Louis Vuitton Messenger Bag

Runway To Heathrow Airport – Victoria Beckham Carrying A Louis Vuitton Messenger Bag

51 Responses to MOCA 30th Anniversary Gala

1. Spanish lover November 16, 2009 at 12:10 #

I adore Kate Beckinsale. For me, she must be a contender for BDOTW.
    Gorgeous Marisa Tomei.

• Fashion Critic November 16, 2009 at 12:37 #

Kate is a definite.

2. robbie November 16, 2009 at 12:15 #

OH MY GOD SHIRLEY MANSON!!!!! never in my wildest dreams would i have ever thought she would be posted on this site. she is amazing, epic, fantastic, uber fabulous and scottish!!!!!

everyone actually looks really good. but pleaseeeeeeeeee brad shave that hideous bread off!

3. The one November 16, 2009 at 12:17 #

I’m already spotting a few BDOTW contenders here! Kate looks divine, Zoe also looks stunning, the waist doesnt worry me too much – Ms Tomei brings the missing vibrancy, love it!

4. Noora Al-thani November 16, 2009 at 12:25 #

OMG .. Marisa Tomei looks hideous .. she looks like 50s barbie and the color is simply wrong.. it lack sophistication and elegance …
    i liked Zoe Saldana and Angelina Jolie :)

5. Snarky Sharky November 16, 2009 at 12:27 #

OMG! Kate was magnificent

6. Hellwafashion November 16, 2009 at 12:43 #

I love Carine Roitfeld’s outfit.

7. Jennifer November 16, 2009 at 12:46 #

Kate isn’t wearing a mermaid hem!!! And that color on her is absolutely divine! Best Dressed of the Week indeed!

I love Marisa Tomei, but mostly because the color she choose was one I wouldn’t have otherwise expected from her. It’s so bright and cheery!

• Fashion Critic November 16, 2009 at 12:49 #

LOL @ isn’t wearing a mermaid hem.

So true…it’s a rarity

8. boogie November 16, 2009 at 12:46 #

I really don’t like Kate because I’ve seen this look on her so many times before. she need to come up with something new.

9. Ally November 16, 2009 at 12:53 #

So much early morning (well US early :)) pretty! I think my favorite is Eva, but I also love Kate, Christina, Shirly, AND Carey.

10. nyma November 16, 2009 at 12:59 #

Kate takes my heart and BDOTW ;)

11. S November 16, 2009 at 13:01 #

I’m at a loss wondering why you’re liking Shirely Manson in Marchesa. She really ruins the Marchesa dress for me.

That dress is full of elegance and sophistication, I don’t want to sound mean but Shirely’s hair really cheapens the look and does nothing for it plus the dress didn’t need accessories.

12. ace November 16, 2009 at 13:10 #

shirley and rose rocks my world here. and i really hate that balmain dress. it looks really cheap. with or without the bling =S
    but i love angie. black or no black. she always look amazing. ((=

• robbie November 16, 2009 at 13:54 #

im glad someone else liked shirley!

13. Stuti November 16, 2009 at 13:12 #

Kate, Zoe, Rose for BDOTW! Enough has been said for Kate and Zoe, but I simple adore the detail on Rose’s gown. I’d love to see it for BDOTW!
    Also, Mrs. Snoozeville is gorgeous, even in that boring suck-ass dress. Mr Snoozeville, isn’t it enough that you have a parrot nose? Do you have to have weird braids on your beard? :|

14. Lexa November 16, 2009 at 13:16 #

i love Christina Ricci here – such a beautiful look :)
    I also like Marisa, Carey and Shirley – all look great!
    and though Kate Beckinsale looks good, she repeats the formula time and time again – long gown close to body, updo and big earrings – I’ve seen it on her many times before – it becomes really boring…

15. Matt November 16, 2009 at 13:27 #

HA! Mr & Mrs Snoozeville, how about Mr & Mrs Pitt-iful. Leave it to Angelina Jolie to turn Armani prive dress to a Morticia Addams dress.

Everyone looks great in their outfit.

• Fashion Critic November 16, 2009 at 13:45 #

Ha Pitt-iful…much better

16. Vi November 16, 2009 at 13:35 #

Looooveeee, marisa’s dress and make up and shoes!!!, could that look be more perfect? She is a red carpet lesson: always have fun.
    Eva’s do is quite lovely.
    I really don’t like gwen’s pants with that top and I think that christina’s dress should have been a little shorter.
    Personal pride for Gustavo Candile, go Argentina!!

17. yumey November 16, 2009 at 14:02 #

im drooling over kate!! she looks FAB.she’s absolutely divine.
    i love Eva too..
    This two must be BDOTW contenders!!

18. WendyB November 16, 2009 at 14:05 #

Lots of great looks. Love Marisa and Chloe.

19. mandy November 16, 2009 at 14:14 #

FC, Kate looks great but she is always playing it safe with satin gowns. The gown is amazing but she is making me sleepy. Definetely don’t wish to see her on BDOTW pls!!!!!!!!!

• Fashion Critic November 16, 2009 at 14:36 #

ooohhh….I might have to disappoint you as many people are liking it.

20. zooey November 16, 2009 at 14:32 #

Kate, Zoe, Marisa, shirley, Angelina and the other kate(Bosworth) for BDOTW.

21. lee November 16, 2009 at 14:37 #

chloe is SO freaking adorably chic here. she definitely deserves a spot for BDOTW.

• Annel November 16, 2009 at 19:39 #

Totally agree!

22. Kim November 16, 2009 at 14:49 #

Rose, Zoe, and Kate looked Great! BDOTW worthy to me. I also thought Cristina looked cute and Kate looked nice.

23. ber November 16, 2009 at 14:51 #

Kate Beckinsale looks great, but I couldn’t help rolling my eyes when I saw her. She’s incredibly boring, shows no personality and is very predictable.
    Shirley Manson, on the other hand, brought a smile to my face. Great to see her on the red carpet!

24. mm November 16, 2009 at 14:58 #

Kate Beckinsale wins for me for this event. I think Carine Roitfeld look was made for her. I dont like Gwen’s look but i like that Gwen and hubby are casual and cute and she is not over top in comparison to him because he has on sneakers. Love Eva’s dress and entire look. Chloe looks really cute but i just dont like shoulder bags on the red carpet. I love Carey’s hair cut, she looks young and fresh. Miuccia Prada look doesnt work. She makes me go hmmm you create these beautiful designs but you come out looking dishelved, all her accesories are no and her hair is mess, she probably was having a bad hair day and couldnt recover. Kate Bosworth look is just to young for her,the dress looks cheap on her.

25. dressaddict November 16, 2009 at 15:17 #

Put Marisa Tomei contender for BDOTW, she (as always!) is superb!! I love her style!

26. jared November 16, 2009 at 17:18 #

I’m surprised Chloe isn’t getting a little more praise here. She, in my opinion, is one of the best of the bunch. I get so bored with the constant, predictable gowns. She’s such a refreshing change and is undeniably stunning here. She may not get thrown on the poll, but she’s my BDOTW :)

Kate also looks stunning, but like Taylor Swift last week, it feels like I’ve seen this look so many times..

I’d also vote Marisa Tomei for BDOTW.

Carine looks great in my opinion as well. Maybe not BDOTW worthy, but she pulls off that “badass” look effortlessly

27. Amanda November 16, 2009 at 17:27 #

if Ciara’s dress were just a little bit lower, we’d have another nipplegate on our hands

28. dressaddict November 16, 2009 at 17:42 #

I forgot to mention how lovely both carey and eva are, carey has a unique style, which I simply adore, it suits me perfectly, and eva is soooo sexy, without being vulgar.

29. Bego November 16, 2009 at 17:49 #

It’s all about Kate Beckinsale! the color of the gown is perfect, as well as everything else! I also really like Christina Ricci… but what happens with Zoe Saldana’s Marchesa? definately something’s wrong, it doesn’t look as wonderful as in the model.

30. Samantha November 16, 2009 at 17:56 #

Angelina Jolie – we all no you can look amazing in anything but at least make the effort next time. Double yawn. My favourites here would have to be Kate Beckinsale,Chloe and Eva. Is it just me or is Zoe losing her spark? Maybe she was just too impressive on her promo tour.

• Fashion Critic November 16, 2009 at 18:07 #

She is a tad

• marina November 17, 2009 at 03:40 #

hahaha, I love everyone’s dresses (almost). About Jolie… I just do not see her making a lof of effort dressing up after chasing a bunch of kids around, besides, it is not as if she needs the extra publicity of being the belle of the ball anyway.

I just love this blog. :)

• Fashion Critic November 17, 2009 at 08:21 #

thanks Marina :)

31. YSLGirl November 16, 2009 at 19:02 #

So many Best Dressed contenders.

For your consideration:
    Shirley Manson, Kate Bosworth, Liz Goldwyn, Zoe Saldana, Marisa Tomei and Carine Roitfeld. They all look amazing.

I never have and never will get excited whenever I see Kate Beckinsale. I just fall asleep. She is SOOOOO boring. The same with Eva Mendes, too. Her style is getting pretty generic. She should mix it up a little.

Carey Mulligan, Gwen Stefani and Christina Ricci look great, too.

Chloe Sevigny is one of my style icons, but this outfit is a miss for me. It looks like she’s being strangled. It looks so much more flattering on the model.

32. nicole November 16, 2009 at 19:50 #

kate and eva are my favs.
    rachel zoe looks surprisingly good too. its still her boho style but not haggard and minus the fur . i like.

33. Laura November 16, 2009 at 19:56 #

So many great outfits. I loved Kate’s a Shirley’s. The color on Daisy’s is divine. I love Rose McGowan’s look, but the hair being pulled back would’ve sent it over the top.

There were only two I didn’t like at all. Ciara in a body conscious LBD…really, how original. Nothing really stands out for me.

And Brangelina was such a bore. Only Angelina could make Armani Prive look like a safe, witch dress. And Brad needs to either sign a modeling deal with Homeless Chic or shave the beard. Right now, he looks like he’s preparing for a role as a homeless man.

34. mol November 16, 2009 at 19:57 #

I love Chloe’s look, Gwen S. also, and Carine, she’s perfect! I also kinda like Liz Goldwyn’s Sonia Rykeil jumpsuit – if only it fell a bit higher on the ankle.

My overall favorite is Marisa Tomei – a homerun IMO!

35. Sabina November 16, 2009 at 20:35 #

I thinks Ciara’s BFF Kim Kardashian has had an influence on her style.. not that Ciara was fashionable before they got together, but lately their styles are very similar (tight, short, trying to follow the trends, but ending up looking trashy, lol)

36. Leo November 16, 2009 at 22:20 #

Eva Mendez looks stunning. The dress is very much in her classic chic confort zone, but it has a twist, and the hair accessory is an amazing detail, it makes the look jump to a new level. So impressed, best dressed on this red carpet.

Also loving Carey Mulligan, she is so cute. I can’t wait to see her when the awards’ season kicks in.

Zoe Saldana also looks fantastic. As well as Marissa Tomei.

I really don’t like Christina Ricci. The proportion is not right for her. And she looks a bit boring.

I try to like Carine’s look but I don’t get it. The boots fight with that dress, wich looks like a re-run of a Nina Ricci dress but done by someone with no taste.

37. Lisa Villeneuve November 16, 2009 at 22:56 #

OH WOW! Can’t believe how many stars made a real effort to one function! LOVE LOVE LOVE. Everyone owned their look in different ways.
    Did not like Ciara – trampy and soooooo boring!

38. alexa November 17, 2009 at 00:19 #

I wish Angelina made some effort… always black and blah. Is it that because she is so beautiful ,she cannot bare to stand out anymore?

39. Louise November 17, 2009 at 08:06 #

OH MY GOD – so excited that Marisa Tomei wore vintage Jean Desses. She looks drop dead gorgeous. So brave, so beautiful.
    I agree … this event is amazing . Love Chloe, Carey and Eva too.

40. maru November 17, 2009 at 08:55 #

Marisa looks the best I’ve ever seen her–gorgeous dress. She should go vintage more often.

Chloe also looks cute. Kate looks nice, but I find the look boring and typical for her.

41. ben November 18, 2009 at 05:09 #

I’d love to see Chloe up for BDOTW, she’s killed it here. So different and wow.

42. shili November 18, 2009 at 19:19 #

I have seen Miuccia Prada only one-two times in the news, so first I thought there is a man in a dress. Well, as I start to read, i was shocked – it was Miuccia. :S
    I don`t like Gwen Stefanis look at all. The bustier and the tapered pants just do not work. But I do like Chloe`s dress. She looks so fun and youthful. Really nice to watch.