Celebrities Love…Showing Us Their Panties

Question.

When did it become appropriate/acceptable for women to expose their panties through lace dresses?

I guess since Dolce & Gabbana sent models down their Spring 2010 runway with this very look.

Madonna was the first to don this look whilst on vacation in Portofino, Italy home of designers Dolce Domenico and Stefano Gabbana back in August.

Her see-through black Dolce & Gabbana lace dress gave us a peek at her ‘Bridget Jones’ style granny pants.

She has been named as the Spring 2010 face of Dolce & Gabbana, so we can expect to see a lot of her in her pants over the coming months.

Vogue Paris Editor-in-chief Carine Roitfeld and Lady GaGa – of course – have both been seen sporting the risqué look over the past week.

I wonder who will be next.

My bet is on Rihanna.

Credit: Style.com, Film Magic & Wenn

Who Wore Emilio Pucci Better...Kylie Minogue or Miley Cyrus?

Who Wore Emilio Pucci Better…Kylie Minogue or Miley Cyrus?

Dolce & Gabbana vs. Topshop

Dolce & Gabbana vs. Topshop

19 Responses to Celebrities Love…Showing Us Their Panties

1. justme November 12, 2009 at 12:52 #

I remember Britney coming to the 2001 VMAs in a lace dress. I side eyed the trend back then and I’m still not amused. It’s just unacceptable on so many levels.

If I had to choose one though, I’d go with Lady Gaga. She has the body for it and she picked nice underwear so that’s something… I guess.

• Lee-Shay November 12, 2009 at 12:57 #

I disagree – I think she looks the tackiest out of the three.

• justme November 12, 2009 at 16:41 #

I think she’s the only one who didn’t try to “class it up”.

2. ella November 12, 2009 at 12:54 #

this has got to be the funiest post…lol but i think lady gaga wld win a WWIB poll since she had the guts to go that far all in the name of fashion. the other two look like draculas if u ask me.

3. Terry November 12, 2009 at 13:13 #

I think this is just history repeating. Madonna was the first to flash her underwear back in the Eighties and Dolce & Gabbana have always turned underwear (panties, bras and corsets) into outerwear, since their first collections.

It’s not acceptable to see over-forty ladies showing their panties (Carine Roitfeld looks hideous), but I like Lady GaGa’s outfit.

4. Faellie November 12, 2009 at 13:29 #

The lace is absolutely gorgeous. But not the exposed knickers.

I would really love these lace dresses with a trompe l’oeil underlayer of black/nude – it would achieve a similar effect but with added wit, style and modesty.

• Flutterbang November 12, 2009 at 14:21 #

You are so right, that would look beautiful

5. pure-perfection November 12, 2009 at 13:37 #

Gaga is the best!

6. robbie November 12, 2009 at 16:15 #

do women not understand it is called UNDERWEAR for a reason it is worn UNDER clothes. not to be shown. especially women over a certain age should NEVER be wearing something like that especially when they have children.

this is probably the only bad thing with dolce and gabbana, they can make gorgeous corset gowns, funky mini dresses, but always fail with the tacky lace/see through dresses,

7. Danielle November 12, 2009 at 16:21 #

Well, I kinda don’t like any of these “try-to-look-sexy” looks. I mean, the lace is gorgeous, VERY gorgeous, but.. They just didn’t have to show “everything”.

It would look pretty … I think the lace dress will be perfect, but not like this.

8. Simrit November 12, 2009 at 16:51 #

Whoever critiques fashion for this set, I’d like to say a huge THANK YOU. It is so refreshing to have someone who can see through Rihanna and Lady Gagas ‘I try to hard to stand out and end up looking stupid but everyone is fooled’ version of high fashion. I hate both their styles. Its just stupid and they dont even look beautiful. Thank you.

9. Priscila November 12, 2009 at 17:33 #

“Whoever critiques fashion for this set, I’d like to say a huge THANK YOU. “[2]

10. Ahot November 12, 2009 at 17:40 #

LOL! i must say i like Carine’s, and Rihana is definitely the next….

11. Kiana November 12, 2009 at 18:27 #

No way… It’s hard for me to believe Rihanna would wear a dress that’s already been worn by three other people. Has she EVER done that? Maybe if you said Beyonce I’d believe you, but not Rihanna.

12. Louise November 13, 2009 at 03:40 #

Underwear should not be seen.
    None of these looks are attractive in the least. Maybe ok on stage, but not ok in public.

13. marina November 13, 2009 at 04:02 #

well, actually it was Kristen Stewart who was wearing Balenciaga in Spain shoing her panties!
    the dress was sheer just in some parts in the blouse and the skirt. She looked cut. I am looking forward for your comments. She’s dressing not sweet, but a little daring.

• joe vann February 7, 2012 at 22:02 #

i beleave iff marina want to show off her panties in public well she should becous she is beautiful enough

14. Lisa Villeneuve November 13, 2009 at 05:20 #

Soooo ugly. Don’t like this at all. Trampy at any age. Sexier to have a skin colour skirt underneath.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. InStyle.com What's Right Now : Charlie’s Angels Revived, Plus Win a Haute Trip to Miami - February 24, 2010

[...] 5. Celebrities like Lady Gaga and Madonna are showing us their high-fashion panties thanks to Dolce & Gabbana’s see-through lace dress. [Redcarpet-fashionawards.com] [...]