10.11.09

2009 Glamour Women of the Year Awards

Regular readers will know that I’m all about the drama.

The more dramatic the dress, the more I fall in love which is why I’m salivating over Rihanna’s Stéphane Rolland Spring 2009 Couture gown.

I expected Rihanna to walk red carpet wearing a Balmain Spring 2010 dress with cut-out details in the hips, so this was a very pleasant surprise.

The white Stéphane Rolland mermaid shaped gown had a pleated detail on the front which swirled around the bodice, before exploding all over the skirt.

This will be a love it or hate it dress. What say you?

Before I fell for Cate Blanchett, it was all about Catherine Zeta Jones. She was my first girl crush.

I had such admiration for her as she held her own on the red carpet amongst the Hollywood major players.

We haven’t seen much of her lately, but walking the red carpet at this event last night she proved that she hasn’t lost any of her sparkle.

CJZ looked outstanding wearing a navy blue Gustavo Cadile’s Resort 2010 lurex gown.

I loved cut, it flatters her so well. I also love how the gown shimmers.

Welcome back Mrs Jones-Douglas, we missed you.

From one ageless beauty to another.

Iman – as usual – looked OUT-Friggin-Standing.

It’s not easy to follow the gorgeous Karlie Kloss because she totally owns everything she wears on the runway.

But when you’re Iman, that doesn’t matter.

The uber model walked the red carpet wearing a pink Jason Wu Spring 2010 feathered confection that is totally delightful.

I love the neon green waistband and her matchy matchy runway platform heels.

She totally stands out as one of the best on this red carpet.

Never take a day of Iman….I BEG you.

Some of you have expressed your confusion as to why Kerry Washington receives so much praise for her red carpet choices.

Come on guys, looks at how amazing she looks wearing this Fendi Spring 2010 blush pink lace floor-length dress.

She looks simply elegant, the colour complements her skin-tone, she accessorized well with silver stunning jewels and a Christian Louboutin snake skin print clutch.

Her look is totally effortless.

What’s not to love?

The Stella McCartney Resort 2010 collection still proves to be the most worn collection by celebrities this year.

Liya Kebede, joins Stella McCartney and Jessica Simpson who have both worn this coat/dress.

It’s not just celebrities who have fallen for Stella’s Resort collection.

Glamour magazine’s Editor-in-Chief Cindi Leive walked the red carpet with SVP & Publishing Director Bill Wackermann wearing the same Resort 2010 dress we’ve seen on Frieda Pinto.

It was no surprise that Stella McCartney was honoured at this event.

The designer was of course wearing self designed pieces which all worked well together.

Stella tends to wear a lot of black, so this pop of colour is really refreshing.

Serena Williams is getting the hand of this red carpet thing as she is radiant at this event wearing a red asymmetrical Pamella Roland gown.

I think she has looked her best yet after her stunning Gucci look a few weeks ago.

Yes she looks muscular, but there’s nothing she can do about that.

I would love to say I have finally embraced Katharine McPhee’s platinum blonde ‘do, but I continue to struggle with it.

Hair aside, I totally in love with her BODYAMR peacock blue jersey gown.

The gown shows off her figure, whilst the black patent leather trim and open back shows off Katharine’s sexy side.

The singer/actress accessorized with a black leather Perrin Paris 1893 Riva Pochette oversize clutch.

Maria Shriver looked fab wearing a black lace strapless Monique Lhuillier gown.

Amy Poehler glittered in a gold Stella McCartney cocktail dress.

Credit: Style.com, INF Daily, NYmag, Coutorture & Wireimage

Chanel Spring 2010

Chanel Spring 2010

In Han Ye-Seul's Closet - Valentino Strapless Bow Gown

In Han Ye-Seul’s Closet – Valentino Strapless Bow Gown

45 Responses to 2009 Glamour Women of the Year Awards

1. Rama Dimas November 10, 2009 at 14:23 #

I hate Rihanna look, seriously.
    her hair is unmatched with that dress for my liking…
    and the dress itself looked so ridiculous…

Iman is much better with her Jason Wu… She’s like the best ageless woman…

Kerry Washington & Liya Kebede also wowed me ;)

2. Barbara November 10, 2009 at 14:24 #

well,i think the dress suits rihanna very well,because its original,outstanding,interesting and just like her style.i think i love it.i can´t hate it :D but the hair…i dont know.

3. Hellwafashion November 10, 2009 at 14:34 #

Wow, they all look great, especially BODYAMR, honestly not just saying it cos he comes from this region!, I loved it before I knew that – think it would be really flattering for curvy women.

4. Stuti November 10, 2009 at 14:34 #

Iman for BDOTW! I say this every week now. :P
    Oh and Catherine too, please?

I hate that gown on Rihanna! I would have liked it in some other colour. The detail is fabulous, no doubt. This white/off-white colour doesnt work for me. At all.

5. Kim November 10, 2009 at 14:37 #

Rihanna- Don’t hate, don’t think I love just yet but I’m not mad at it.

Kerry looked cute although I am not overwhelmed (unfortunately I am one of the ones that doesn’t quite understand her style all the time :-) )

Katherine looked great (minus the hair and Liya- dress was cute but wasnt feeling the tights and strappy sandals.

6. Ahot November 10, 2009 at 14:39 #

Wow. love RIRI here! She has the personnality to carry such a dress.
    Iman, what to say? Take a day off, i BEG you!! ;)
    Serena, she looks very feminine here even with all those muscles; they kinda work with the look. love the hair & make up

7. jos November 10, 2009 at 14:58 #

wow rihanna feminine finally yeah not dark coll i love all

8. robbie November 10, 2009 at 14:58 #

rihanna, HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT! she just looks ridiculous. it is called glamour women of the year awardfs not trash women of the year awards.

catherine, speaking of glamour! as always she looks amazing. she looks absolutely amazing.

iman, amazing as always i LOVEEEEEEEEE that colour on her.

kerry, very dull looking it ages her and the hair is bad.

liya, boring.

cindi, also another boring look.

stella, fabulous nice to see her wear a bit of colour for a change.

serena, looks amazing it must be difficult for her to be girly sometimes but she looks amazing here.

katherine, im not sure about this dress its rather uggh. the hair though platinum blonde only looks good on gwen stefani and marilyn monroe.

maria, hmmm shame about the 80s wonder woman hair style.

amy, way too mumsy for my liking. also such a light coloured dress paired with black shoes *yawn*

9. Ally November 10, 2009 at 14:59 #

If anyone could pull off that dress it is Rihanna, but I feel like her nude makeup kind of makes her sink into the background of the look and that hair is just bad. But I do appreciate her picking something unexpected.

Few women manage to bring Hollywood glamor better than CZJ. She looks stunning. I’m loving that royal blue.

10. ally November 10, 2009 at 15:13 #

This may sound wierd but I just love it when the runway sample is the one being worn on the red carpet-all that work in the showroom, the runway, then boxed up and shipped to a stylist and then put on a celebrity!

11. YSLGirl November 10, 2009 at 15:19 #

Quite a boring event for something, unfortunately. I think Rihanna has the body to pull off that dress, but the hair is just awful. I would’ve liked it with her dark hair. I did like the way the hair was done, though.

It also has to be said: this is the first time I’ve loved Kerry Washington in something since…forever. I remember when she was a Margiela outfit that I loved before, but she’s never wowed me.

• YSLGirl November 10, 2009 at 15:20 #

Oh and I must comment on CZJ. She looks kind of ill to me, like she’s fading. I don’t care for the outfit, too.

12. Alia November 10, 2009 at 15:23 #

It’s nice to see Rihanna smiling in a picture but I hate the dress.

Kerry looks like she is slouching. I would love her look if not for that.

13. Chiara November 10, 2009 at 15:43 #

I don’t like Rihanna but I think it’s mostly about the bodice on the dress. It is stunning.

14. Jules O'C November 10, 2009 at 16:01 #

*thud*
    *givingupontryingtogetupcausImanwilljustknockmeoffmychairagain*
    *headswirloffeatheredcolorcomboawesomenesstylingsperfection*

• Fashion Critic November 10, 2009 at 16:21 #

I love it when you do that…so funny

15. mm November 10, 2009 at 16:01 #

Iman wins for me for this event. Ageless is correct!
    I think Rihanna looks fabulous but I do wish her hair was not blonde and pulled back. I think the dress is amazing. Love the little pocket.
    Kerry looks dowdy and dry. I very disappointed with Kerry’s look.
    Liya looks boring, I don’t like shoulder bags on the red carpet.
    Serena looks great, love the vibrant color and love her hair style.
    Stella’s jacket makes her look a little boxy. I do think overall she looks great.
    Maria Shiver dress looks great on her, but her age is showing, as it does for most folks. I guess she is not using botox out in California.
    Amy poehler is just beige

• Jules O'C November 10, 2009 at 16:59 #

hahaha – this is probably not funny for ANYONE
      but mm, my best friend and I connected over the word beige
      you know, when someone is just colorless tho they’re wearing color and they kinda try to go with the trend but it just seems off all the time
      people who wear a lot of (the bad) bordeaux & burgundy, and obviously a lot of beige
      we would say she’s just beige
      or you don’t become beige, you ARE beige
      it’s some stylelessness that can only be inherited we thought
      and now we even call certain soulless people beige
      it’s so fun in my head right now that u use it
      tmi probably – anywho – never mind – sorry
      take care ;)

• mm November 10, 2009 at 17:41 #

I am ROTFLMAO!! Thanks for sharing. Because my friends and I use the word beige all the time for pretty much the same meaning. In this case , today, she really is the color beige from the top of her head to her big toe. LOL!

• Jules O'C November 10, 2009 at 19:43 #

shut up!
          now that u say that I’m really curious what country ur from and wheter I know you or not ;)
          SO funny
          I just re-read my post again and it sounds pretty stupid but I’m glad the message came across
          toodles – c ur next comment soon =)
          bye

16. Aimz November 10, 2009 at 16:04 #

Love the dress. Hate rhianna in the dress. she doesn’t have the grace needed to pull off that kind of drama.

17. Weber November 10, 2009 at 16:08 #

I REALLY hate this Rihanna’s haircut eeerrr
    this gown doesn’t work for her…
    I love Iman… AGELESS BEAUTY for sure +_+
    This Jason Wu strapless dress reminds me of Louis Vuitton AD with Madonna… is it a trend??
    Love Serena… She always tries to look girlie, sensual…
    I have to admit… I also continue to struggle with this platinum blonde’ do of Katharine, but she looks sexy, edgy, I guess she was the best dressed of this event….

18. easyBlake November 10, 2009 at 16:10 #

LOVE Rihanna’s dress, Hate her hair. Everyone else is just nice, unoffensive. Although, I always appreciate when Serena pretties up her muscles.

• Fashion Critic November 10, 2009 at 16:19 #

LOL @ pretties up her muscles

19. gg November 10, 2009 at 16:14 #

i’ve recently started following this blog. didn’t know you were a fan of Cate Blanchett.
    i worship that woman. i have no words to describe her…she has been my style icon for many years. haven’t seen her on the red carpet for a while…hopefully soon.
    iman gets my vote here. she can wear a sack and look good in it.

• Fashion Critic November 10, 2009 at 16:18 #

Hey GG, yes Cate is the level of perfect in which everyone else is measured.

She oozed class and takes risks like no other and they all pay off.

I can’t wait for her to return to the red carpet soon so we can have a synchronized drooling event. LOL

20. ella November 10, 2009 at 16:23 #

Rihanna’s gown IS dramatic, but i dont think she totally pulled it off…with that hair *shrudders*. i like that stella mccartney LBD on Liya Kebede. cute yet classy.
    Iman, Stella McCartney and CJZ are flawless as always.could be from the camera angle but i’m ot feeling Kerry’s look as she’s my biggest girl crush. what happened?!

21. Nicola Livesley November 10, 2009 at 16:45 #

Woah CZJ has lost sooo much weight! She looks emaciated, what happened to her luscious curves!!!

22. Leti November 10, 2009 at 16:46 #

I think I might have liked to see Rihanna and Iman switch dresses. I don’t think Rihanna has the elegance to carry of her gown, but Iman does.

• Kim November 10, 2009 at 17:07 #

I can see Iman in that dress!

23. justme November 10, 2009 at 17:14 #

That Stephane Rolland dress is indeed dramatic. I’m not a fan of it per se but it’s very interesting. I’m not sure Rihanna and her Road Runner hair were right for it though.

I’m starting to fall in love with Gustavo Cadile’s creations. That blue gown CZJ is wearing is beautiful.

I knew Iman could do grown and classy, now I see she can do fun and sassy. *lesigh* I love the green waistband too.

I’m a fan of Kerry’s style and I like her outfit here too. She just looks a little tired.

• Fashion Critic November 10, 2009 at 17:31 #

Road Runner hair LMAO

24. zuleyka chia November 10, 2009 at 17:43 #

rihanna’s gown is OTT..plus hate her hair…can somebody tell her that her hair suck!!!!anybody???seriously…..

25. mol November 10, 2009 at 18:08 #

A very rhythmic architectural dress that Rolland look, not an easy thing to pull off, and I personally think Rihanna does it well. I could care less about the hair, it doesn’t really put me off, cause I really like the overall general presentation of Rihanna here.

Iman as always is slammin’ – but I think she can wear anything cause she knows how to pose, has beautiful posture, a long gorg neck and a beautiful and engaged looking face.

I love the way Stella looks, the proportions of the dress and jacket to each other, and Serena looks great in this orangy red dress with perfect make-up.

26. Leo November 10, 2009 at 18:20 #

Rihanna’s look is Bjork gone wrong to me.

Iman impressive as usual.
    Loving Stella also.

• Leo November 10, 2009 at 18:22 #

Didn’t see Kerry Washington. Wow, love her and her attention to details. Amazing clutch.

27. dressaddict November 10, 2009 at 19:42 #

I don’t likke on rhianna’s dress that the folders/layers of the fabric are so big in the chest area, it could’ve been a little bit smaller, that’s why I couldn’t appreciate the dress, it looks like a giant bronze grass/leaves sculpture, sorry.
    CZJ is always so predictable, she does not take risks at all, always glamourous, but in a commercial way.
    I do love Kerry, again, soft and very feminine.

28. Dorian Gray November 10, 2009 at 20:42 #

Iman deserves to WIN next BDOTW!

• Fashion Critic November 10, 2009 at 20:56 #

she always deserves to win. Lets see if she does win this week.

29. Laura November 10, 2009 at 21:39 #

Rihanna’s got the edge and the body to work that dress. She owns the look. The look doesn’t own her. I love love this look.

Catherine looks elegant but not boring. The color and sparkle works well to make her stand out.

Love everything on Iman’s outfit…except the bottom. Don’t like it on the runway or Iman. But the rest is divine, especially the green accent.

Kerry’s I’m not liking. I wish she kept the belt exposed or no belt. Right now, it looks like a Jolie-inspired blousson gown that I’m rather sick of.

All the Stella McCartney’s are great. The draping on the second and color on the last are awesome. Serena chose a great dress for her body.

Love Katharine’s dress, but the hair is throwing me off. I wish Maria added a pop of color in the bag, shoes, or jewelry. Right now, it looks too gothic. Not loving that look on Amy. I don’t think it flatters her in the right places.

30. matty November 10, 2009 at 22:32 #

CZJ looks by far the BEST. Gustavo Cadile REALLY suits her! That dress is way too young for even an “ageless beauty”! Sorry Mrs. Bowie
    Maria Shriver….where was the broom? The new Goth First Lady of Cali
    XXO

31. stilettolover91 November 10, 2009 at 22:49 #

Kat looks amazing!!!! BDOTW contender imo!!

32. Tania November 10, 2009 at 23:39 #

CZJ was my first girl crush also (still is) she looks fab. I love drama also and Rihanna’s dress provides plenty. Iman look fantastic as always.

33. Louise November 11, 2009 at 09:55 #

Love Rhianna’s dress.
    And Iman OH MY GOD. She definitely needs to be included in BDOTW

34. wenona November 11, 2009 at 23:21 #

the Stephane Rolland dress is awesome! i love dramatic dresses but it is hideous on Rihanna! She does not do it justice at all! bad hair, makeup! what a letdown:(

loveee everything Stella and WOW when I grow up I want to be Iman!!!!!