05.11.09

Victoria Beckham For Harper’s Bazaar December 2009

Before you pop out to get your sandwich from Pret A Manger, you should also pick up a copy of Harper’s Bazaar which features Victoria Beckham on the cover.

Victoria Beckham plays the noir heroine caught in sultry reverie in an exclusive fashion shoot for a special double cover December issue.

The critically acclaimed fashion designer, who has wowed the critics and top designers alike with her sexy elegant dresses, unveils an amazingly toned body and tight top knot hairstyle in a 16 page portfolio of sexy, chic photographs.

Photographed by Alexi Lubomirski, Victoria wears a range of seductive yet feminine looks from an Yves Saint Laurent leather bodysuit to her own figure-hugging silk gazar dress.

In the spectacular Harper’s Bazaar cover spread, several famous designers, including Antonio Berardi, Manolo Blahnik and Roberto Cavalli, also give their expert verdicts – all positive – on Victoria’s designs, a further acknowledgment that the industry is taking her seriously as a designer.

In the interview, Victoria also reveals to Harper’s Bazaar the secrets of her remarkable success and why fashion is her true calling . . . .

On staying true to her path: “People never believed the solo singing career, and it wasn’t the real me – I was a little bit lost at the time. I don’t mind making mistakes. I just can’t live with anyone else’s mistakes. I’m a complete control freak. I’m not the easiest person to work with because I’m so passionate and being a working mum, it’s a balancing act.”

On why her customers can rely on her: “I want my customer to be able to rely on me if they like a certain silhouette, moving them slightly each season, but keeping them happy. There’s nothing worse than finding a designer that you like one season, you’re so excited, and then next season they’ve done something different.”

On the stress of showing her first collection to the public: “I felt beyond vulnerable. I’d never known nerves like it in my life. The night before, I got nodules in my throat. I’d never felt such anxiety. I was very aware that people were expecting very short clothes, probably quite revealing, and I really went against that and showed the other side of me.”

On her future as a fashion designer: “I just want to learn as much as I can. I was always pushed into the theatre and dance – it’s just taken me a long time to figure out what I wanted to do.”

On why Emma Watson caught her eye: “So sweet, so true to herself…. There are so many young girls wearing too much make-up, too much hairspray – I find that very dated.”

On positive thinking: “If you don’t believe in yourself, no one else will.”

On why her seven day a week fitness regime is so important: “I didn’t want to rely on retouching …. I wanted to look at those pictures in 20 years’ time and say, “Wow, look – after three kids – I didn’t look bad.”

What the designers say about Victoria:

Roberto Cavalli – “It’s difficult to create fashion, you can’t just learn it, you have to have fashion in your DNA, and she has it.”

Antonio Berardi – “Women tend to be a lot more practical than male designers, because they know exactly what works for them, but at the same time, she’s different to other female designers because there’s this extreme sense of feminity to what she does – fantasy and reality at the same time.”

Manolo Blahnik – “She’s a creature of today, a total artefact of today. She knows what women want. Her things have created an incredible stir, and in recessionary times, this is so fabulous.”

You can read the full interview in the December issue of Harper’s Bazaar, on sale today.

Photo Credit: Alexi Lubomirski, courtesy of Harper’s Bazaar.

Runway To "The Road" LA Screening - Charlize Theron In Christian Dior

Runway To “The Road” LA Screening – Charlize Theron In Christian Dior

Runway To "The Bad Lieutenant: Port Of Call New Orleans" LA Screening - Eva Mendes In Chris Benz

Runway To “The Bad Lieutenant: Port Of Call New Orleans” LA Screening – Eva Mendes In Chris Benz

25 Responses to Victoria Beckham For Harper’s Bazaar December 2009

1. Danielle November 5, 2009 at 11:06 #

I really enjoyed reading this! I couldn’t agree more with: “There’s nothing worse than finding a designer that you like one season, you’re so excited, and then next season they’ve done something different.”

2. robbie November 5, 2009 at 11:09 #

im sorry but retouching, she is probably one of few woman who seem to get fat photoshopped onto them. her customers really can rely on the same silhoutte. too much make-up too much hair, she must have looked in the mirror then.

manolo balhnik confuses me he really does, he says he doesnt like pointless celebrities but thats what victoria is.

im sorry but i really hate how desighers seem to kiss her ass.

• Kath November 6, 2009 at 03:33 #

I agree robbie. No retouching? Disliking too much hairspray/make-up? Who is she kidding?

• Chaufforest October 15, 2010 at 11:11 #

” Young girls” she is not young exatly!

3. amelia November 5, 2009 at 12:18 #

I don’t like Victoria, I never did, but I really liked her interview, she seems to be showing some humility after all, which is always a positive thing. I can also add that I’m a huge fan of her designs, they are classy and most important, wearable, unlike so many fantastic pieces we see on runway shows; think she’s really found her thing.

4. Bego November 5, 2009 at 12:26 #

I like some parts of the interview… some others not so much. Do you need to be a control freak because you’re a working mom?i hate people who say that all the time… my mom is a working mom, most of my friends’ moms are working moms… i don’t like when women keep and keep reminding everyone they are working moms, it’s like: you know, this unusual thing, i’m a mother and i also work! wow. it’s like, okay, you work. congratulations. everybody works! plus i bet her mom duties are so easier with the bunch of nannies i bet she has!
    anyway, apart from this, i hope she keeps on designing, some of her dresses are fantastic.

• Vera November 5, 2009 at 15:12 #

Well, it is a hardly rare thing, when a soccer/basketball/baseball/hockey player’s wife works. Really.

So I don’t see anything strange in her words. Yes, according to ordinary people it’s stupid saying ‘I’m a working mother’, but this it.

5. mm November 5, 2009 at 12:58 #

I like the article in Elle also. She needs women to like her if she wants people to purchase her clothes. She never smiles so you dont get the feeling she is nice. She had to open up and be vulnerable somewhat because no woman want to buy anything from any woman considered a Bitch. I do like that her family is important to her. I am glad she mentions she can take off those heels and exercise.

6. Vera November 5, 2009 at 14:13 #

I agree with Victoria, that it is a shame finding a designer one season and next season being very disappointed with his all-new collection.

I adore her as a mother, a really good-looking beautiful woman (everyone HAS to look that good!) and a good fashion designer. Her dresses are not for my age, but anyway they are very good.

She rocks. Really, she does.

7. Amanda November 5, 2009 at 14:49 #

This is one of the best editorials I’ve seen from a celebrity in a long, long, long time. I’m laughing at what she said about young girls wearing too much makeup and hairspray because she herself wears too much makeup and hairspray.

• Fashion Critic November 5, 2009 at 15:09 #

I found that particularly funny too

• Vera November 5, 2009 at 15:18 #

But she’s 35 and she does have 3 sons)

8. Sara November 5, 2009 at 15:02 #

I LOVED this interview! I think people are harsh on her and you wouldn’t understand unless you put yourself in her shoes but I do think she finally found her niche and that she is good at designing clothes. I don’t think she is doing this so that people like her so they buy her clothes; her clothes sold out regardless. I think ppl need to realize that all the make and the tough face she puts on, is because she is vulnerable but doesn’t want to show it!

I agree with vera, i adore her!

• mol November 5, 2009 at 16:55 #

Well said, i agree

• jK November 6, 2009 at 01:40 #

i would love to put myself in her shoes. literally. LOL
        and her birkins too

9. lii November 5, 2009 at 15:26 #

VERY VERY AMAZING SHOOT! shame fashion critic didn’t post more of the shots! theres this one that she’s putting on her earing thats to die for! D: she puts many models to shame! i love how the questions are different then what people usually tend to ask her, anywho Victoria is fabulous!

10. Sarah November 5, 2009 at 16:23 #

Great article! I know one of the reasons she gets the bitch label from some is the fact that she doesn’t talk much about the inner workings of her family life and share all kinds of secrets on them, as we have come to expect from virtually all “celebrities.” I have a lot of respect for how well put together and professional she is, especially in the face of people determined to break through and make her vulnerable, as if letting the entire world into her life and all her decisions is somehow a good thing. Thanks so much for posting this!

11. Marvel November 5, 2009 at 16:45 #

I am not a fan of hers but I liked how she commented on Emma Watson and the use of heavy make-up/hairspray

3 words for you Posh, POT, KETTLE, BLACK!!

p..s FC are you going to do a post on Cheryl’s Elle magazine??

As usual keep up the good work :)

• Fashion Critic November 5, 2009 at 16:48 #

gonna try.

Thanks Marvel

12. zoe November 5, 2009 at 18:18 #

she looks great. <3 her

13. ayuni November 5, 2009 at 18:25 #

Its funny how some people dislike victoria but cant help commenting on her.
    She’s really the kind of celeb you’ll either love or hate.

Anyway, Erin Wasson wore one of her Fall 09 floor length dress recently.
    Gosh. Erin is like one of the fashion It fashionista.
    I see the picture popping up in fashion blogs.
    Her list of celeb followers just keeps growing

14. Matt November 5, 2009 at 19:27 #

She is the only celebrity who can turn a spread into an amazing editorial as if she’s a model. She’s amazing.

15. The one November 5, 2009 at 20:57 #

wow great spread – she puts many models to shame!

16. smaranda November 5, 2009 at 22:18 #

Well, if you dress well it doesn’t mean that you are a good designer. You can dress ” normally” and be a successful fashionist. It;s not about you…….She knows how to dress but this has no connection with designing.

17. Chaufforest October 15, 2010 at 11:07 #

I agree with Amelia 5/2009 12:18 that she is one of the only designers including Stella McCarthy that you can actually wear on a day to day basis. They are true Ladies and is not afraid to be feminine. Just the mere fact that people dont like her personal lifestyle does not make her a bad design. Victoria Rocks for me. As a wife,mom , female and designer!!!