Runway To “The Road” LA Screening – Charlize Theron In Christian Dior

The last time we saw Charlize Theron on the red carpet we were less than impressed.

I was certain it was a one-off.

Charlize proves that by gracing the red carpet last night at the LA screening of “The Road” during AFI Festival looking outstanding wearing Christian Dior – of course.

Her silver lurex Spring 2010 wrap dress has a lace trim decorating the neckline and a draped detail on the hip.

The first thing I noticed when I saw Charlize were her bejeweled Giuseppe Zanotti flats.

On most this would be a major no-no, but as with most things it works for Charlize.

Her wavy up ‘do suits the retro look she was going for, but it’s the maroon lips which stand out because it’s a shade we’re not used to seeing on the actress, plus it gives her a very grown up look.

The actress sparkled in her dress and wisely opted out of wearing jewlery, but did add a silver quilted Christian Dior clutch to complete her look.

If you thought BDOTW was going to be a forgone conclusion, Theron has changed that.

[nggallery id=227]

Credit: Style.com, Getty &  Wireimage

Who Wore Alexander Wang Better? Rihanna or Cindy Crawford

Who Wore Alexander Wang Better? Rihanna or Cindy Crawford

Victoria Beckham For Harper's Bazaar December 2009

Victoria Beckham For Harper’s Bazaar December 2009

25 Responses to Runway To “The Road” LA Screening – Charlize Theron In Christian Dior

1. claire November 5, 2009 at 10:22 #

Wow! Back on form. The woman is practically a Goddess IMO.

2. robbie November 5, 2009 at 11:03 #

i love charlize but this is terrible. the flats, the dark lips, the dress just looks so plain on her and rather lifeless. im getting kinda bored with the charlize and christian dior obsession i must admit.

• Flutterbang November 5, 2009 at 11:51 #

Sadly, I agree. I find the dress really unflattering, and the shoes a nightmare.

3. Danielle November 5, 2009 at 11:07 #

Charlize is the only woman who can make flip flops work on the red carpet!

4. amelia November 5, 2009 at 12:11 #

I hated Christian Dior’s Spring 2010 show, therefore I’m not at all impressed by this dress, and I’m also hating her hair, but you’re right about the flats FC, Charlize is somehow able to make them look glamourous.

5. YSLGirl November 5, 2009 at 12:18 #

She does the flat shoes thing regularly, but I think in this case, she should’ve gone with heels. But hey, at least she’s doing something different.

6. Lexa November 5, 2009 at 12:26 #

she can make flip flop work, but still she would look thousand times better wearing heels.
    and the lipstick doesn’t give her a grown up look, it ages her dramatically.

• Ally November 5, 2009 at 13:02 #

Completely agree about the lipstick aging her. It does not look good on her at all. That combined with the way too short skirt just doesn’t suit her.

Honestly, the only thing I like about the look are her shoes, and I would have worn them for a different occassion.

7. mm November 5, 2009 at 12:44 #

I love Charlize, she is one my style Icons but i agree, not feeling the thong sandal. she needed a strappy sandal for this look.

8. justme November 5, 2009 at 12:53 #

Charlize tends to wear flats whenever she’s around her boyfriend as I think she doesn’t want to tower over him. And usually, I like it since the sandals are always so pretty.
    Unfortunately, I think this dress needs heels to stand out.

9. Jennifer November 5, 2009 at 13:19 #

Alas, I have to join others in nixing this look for BDOTW… her lipstick really does throw off the look for me (too dark compared to her complexion and her hair color) and I agree, this dress needed something of a heel to work. The flats make her legs look really stumpy to me, though it could be the cut of the dress.

10. yumey November 5, 2009 at 14:08 #

she looks amazing…loving all including her falts too..
    loooover herrr!!

11. yumey November 5, 2009 at 14:09 #

oops heheh i meant to say ” looove herr!!!” sorry hehe

• mm November 5, 2009 at 15:16 #

LOL! it is okay, but that was funny

12. Vera November 5, 2009 at 14:10 #

I didn’t like this collection during the Fashion Week, and Charlize proved that Galliano has made a very disappointing job.

Awful dress. Charlize is such a beautiful woman with such a great statetique figure, but in this one she looks very wide.

;(

13. dressaddict November 5, 2009 at 14:37 #

i love it! great dress, interesting choice the flats, perfect hair and make up!

14. Meg November 5, 2009 at 14:53 #

wouldn’t be my choice for BDOTW at all
    considering some of the other looks
    this one is so off for me – the makeup, the dress, the shoes
    i almost always like what charlize wears but this is a let down
    that lipstick especially!!

• Fashion Critic November 5, 2009 at 15:08 #

I find it interesting that a lot of you disliked this look.

15. Stuti November 5, 2009 at 15:45 #

Disagree with everyone here. I love her in Dior, almost always. And I am not even a fan.
    And stumpy? Really? How? :O

16. Marvel November 5, 2009 at 16:58 #

Im really not feeling this.
    Her lip colour does not go well with the dress, nude or dashing red wouldve worked a lot better (see model pic)
    From the angle of the pic it does make her look stumpy, even though she has great legs.
    Im not particulary fond of her hair here.

For once she doesnt hit it out of the park!!

17. mol November 5, 2009 at 17:05 #

Wow, can’t believe how many people are nixing this look – I personally love it, she shimmers, she shines, she looks glorious, love the dress, the hair, for sure the lipstick and finally, the sandals make her a real stand out – she looks like Nike the greek goddess of victory!

18. Tinselgurus November 5, 2009 at 17:33 #

Everything looks super chic, but im not feeling the dark colour on the lips

19. Raquel November 5, 2009 at 18:49 #

I love Chalrize, but you can’t try old Hollywood glamour with the waves and dark lipstick and stick to flats. it’s a polished, sofisticated, put up look and the flats screams wrong.

It’s very different than what Elle McPerson wore to the Met Ball a few years ago, in the sense that Elle had her hair loose and almost natural, very little make up and all.

20. Dana November 5, 2009 at 18:52 #

I don’t like this one bit. The flat sandals are unflattering, the dress looks more like a boudoir robe than anything, and the lips look terrible.

She’s a beautiful woman but this does nothing for her.

21. Lala/S-R November 5, 2009 at 23:28 #

She looks great!!! I love this woman!
    Hey FC, do you notice that whenever she’s on the carpet with her boyfriend she wears flats? Because if she wore heels she’d tower over him. That’s so sweet. I love her so much, I had to notice. LOL