05.11.09

2009 MTV Europe Music Awards

Joint Best Dressed Award
This Atelier Versace Fall 2009 strapless gown was made for a body like Beyonce Knowles’.

The colour is absolutely divine on her, the sheen of the dress really pops, the bodice has an strong warrior feel to it which would’ve been the desired look for the independent woman.

I love how this gown skims her hip, and I’m pleasantly surprised at the lack of bling.

I would’ve preferred her hair pulled back, but now I’m just looking for flaws in an otherwise flawless red carpet look for B.

Joint Best Dressed Award
Trying to pick who was Best Dressed out of Beyonce and Katy Perry, was like a mother being asked to pick her favourite child.

How do you choose?

Both are wearing my favourite designers, plus they are both wearing my favourite looks from the respective collections, and both have bodies to die for.

Normally Katy wows us in a different way in eccentric Manish Arora pieces, but this time she wows us by looking so graceful in a nude one shoulder Marchesa Spring 2010 draped tulle strapless gown with embroidered black floral.

A very pleasant surprise indeed.

If there’s any room, both are up for BDOTW.

Most Sexy Award
Whilst stars like Katy Perry and Beyonce were wearing stunning – should’ve been saved for the Oscars – gowns, Shakira opted for shimmering silver ultra mini dress which left very little to the imagination.

I wonder if this dress was custom-made by Donatella Versace because the Sharika is wearing Versace Spring 2010 heels with her look.

De Ja Vu Award
Asia Argento wears an asymmetrical Sophia Kokosalaki Fall 2009 black and gold beaded dress which will give you a strong sense of de ja vu.

This is because she wore a very similar dress on the Italian version of X Factor last week.

I must preferred the previous look. This doesn’t feel as well put together.

Surprisingly Not Predictable Award
When I learned that Leona Lewis was attending this show I assumed she would wear something quite boring, but I was wrong.

Normally we see calf-length dresses, tights and no personality.

Not only is she giving us plenty of personality, but she’s also looking very sexy in her corseted look which includes black sequin harem pants and black vest Vivienne Westwood ensemble.

I can’t believe I just said harem pants are sexy, but Leona makes them work.

Normally I would complain about the two-tone hair, but it all adds to the fierce attitude of this look.

Her coral lips are divine.  I wish I could get away with that shade.

On Trend Award
Normally I find it hard to say anything nice about Joss Stone, but I really like her look.

It’s young, fun, on trend with the Over-The-Knee boots, plus I love how her super glossy hair is swept to one side.

Most Disappointed Award
Normally Pixie Lott is a lot more creative on the red carpet.

She normally brings colour and vibrancy, to this occasion her D&G black ruffled dress is nice but I know she can deliver more.

Not More Ankle Boots On The Red Carpet Award
Miranda Cosgrove was the teen star of the night working Alexander McQueen ankle boot with a black and blue harlequin dress.

Worst Dressed Award
“Hey girl, don’t you think my outfit is fly?”

No.  We don’t Lil Kim.

Two words spring to mind. Hot Mess.

You’ll be surprised to know that this is it.

I can’t believe that such a big ceremony pull in so few stars.

Credit: Style.com & Wireimage

Social Events Of The Week

Social Events Of The Week

In Pixie Lott's Closet - D&G Black Ruffled Dress

In Pixie Lott’s Closet – D&G Black Ruffled Dress

45 Responses to 2009 MTV Europe Music Awards

1. Sally November 5, 2009 at 22:27 #

Katy Perry – DYING. She looks like a doll. Gorgeous.

2. Holly November 5, 2009 at 22:30 #

I was just about to comment on your other Katy Perry post that you need to put a pic of her in her Marchesa gown up. She looks absolutely gorgeous in it, usually I get abit bored with her trying to be different, but she looks stunning here, reminds me of Audrey Hepburn. Beyonce also looks lovely, nice to see her in something not short and low cut or one of these weird dresses she always seems to wear, fits her perfectly and its not overdone. Hmm, its a difficult choice but I’m going for Katy as best dressed of this event. Actually, BDOTW for me.

3. YSLGirl November 5, 2009 at 22:38 #

I am so sick of Marchesa. Are there actually going to be any gowns left for the Spring/Summer…you know, the seasons those outfits are actually intended for?

Beyonce was the best dressed, not that there was much competition.

Miranda and Leona also look great.

4. Davor November 5, 2009 at 22:44 #

BEYONCÉ SAVED THE DAY! :)

• ella November 6, 2009 at 11:42 #

true……but i love what katty’s wearing too.

5. robbie November 5, 2009 at 22:45 #

beyonce, predictable tight, mermaid hem or whatever it is called.

katy, looks like a dress on a mannequin.

shakira, hell yeah sexy but not trashy and those shoes are amazing.

asia, it just looked like someone scrunched up a big of material and stuck it to her.

leona, personality? sorry but thats like saying a dead dog is lively. this girl will never have any personality. harem pants have to be the most hideous piece of clothing on the planet.

pixie, wow barbie doll came to life.

miranda, are those boots glued to her feet or something????? she never ever seems to take them off. cute dress though.

lil kim, tranny chic is not suitable for the red carpet sweety. but seriously a drag queen must have done her make-up only a drag queen would think that much blush is “fierce”.

• Fashion Critic November 5, 2009 at 22:47 #

I would say it’s more fish tail than a mermaid hem

• robbie November 5, 2009 at 22:55 #

ahh that was the name, fish tail lol.

6. Alfredo November 5, 2009 at 22:47 #

Ooooooh! This is hard!

That gown is Beyonce to the umptenth power! Perfect match. While her hair could of been a tad bit better, her make up and the fit/gown is perfect.

I love Katy, and the gown is nice but I don’t like the extra detail on the shoulder, I like it but if it dgradually decreased more at the top instead of hanging from the shoulder. Also the slash in at the knees on a gown is a no no for me but her hair is amazing, so she has that over Beyonce.

It’s really hard, they both have just a little tiny thing thats missing, but both solid looks!

7. Bego November 5, 2009 at 22:50 #

i love Beyonce here, stunning! only maybe a change in the hair… but gorgeous anyway. I agree with YSLGirl , come on, we see them wearing now dresses from resort and spring/summer collection… it makes me a little frustrated, aren’t we in winter??
    mmm i’m not sure about Leona Lewis, specially the part of the bust.

8. Vera November 5, 2009 at 22:50 #

Why cannot she dye her hair properly?.. Her dark hair roots look awful.

9. Kim November 5, 2009 at 22:59 #

I like Beyonce and Katy here. I like Katy here more! Beyonce’s hair is a mess and Katy still looks better.

10. Kim November 5, 2009 at 23:00 #

Whoops. Just looked at Katy’s hair again and didnt like hers either but I still give it to her. :-)

11. Dorian Gray November 5, 2009 at 23:01 #

I love Beyooncé in Atelier Versace! She’s a great DIVA here. FC cound u put in the stage pics? Thanks

12. Sebastian November 5, 2009 at 23:05 #

Chop Beyonce’s head and she would look amazing. And chop it not only because of the hair 8-) haha

13. alexa November 5, 2009 at 23:07 #

i like Asia the most and maybe Leona without the wrestler belt . They are the most relevant. I am sorry but Katy and Beyonce look like they are going to the oscars !

14. mm November 5, 2009 at 23:08 #

I love Beyonce’s look. LOVE IT. Donatella is an amazing designer. Kim, horrid, why oh why all the plastic surgery. i cant get past the the face to look at the clothes, you need your old face back.

15. Elise November 5, 2009 at 23:08 #

Beyonce looks good, but soooo boring. I’ve seen this type of dress&hair on her thousand times.
    Katy is best dressed for me

16. Lisa November 5, 2009 at 23:13 #

Wow, I have no idea how you’re going to manage picking only 10 looks for BDOTW FC. But Beyonce and Katy Perry really deserve to be on that list. They look fantastic.

17. Lala/S-R November 5, 2009 at 23:21 #

If we had to vote between Katy and Beyonce, Katy would have won!!! They both look so incredible though!
    Shakira looks “sexy” indeed.
    Asia Argento looks terrible!
    Leona looks so damn beautiful!!!!!!! I fell in love with her emsemble!
    Miranda Cosgrove is excused since she’s a kid. lol
    Hey FC, why would you assume that LilKim would say, “Hey girl..”??? HAHAHHA You kill me!
    On a side note, HOLY MOSES, SHE’S SO UGLY!

18. electra November 5, 2009 at 23:32 #

I remember the days when MTV EMA’s were a HIGH profile event. The only big stars were Beyonce, U2 and Shakira, with Katy Perry who’s been a star for a total of barely two years now.

All 3 ladies looked AMAZING, especially Katy Perry.

I thought Lil’ Kim was going the right way seeing her recently dressed semi-fine at a few occasions, but she’s back to her true self, looking all sorts of wrong.

19. mol November 6, 2009 at 00:06 #

Shakira wins for me, she looks gorgeous and more dress appropriate for these awards.

20. Meg November 6, 2009 at 01:33 #

I think Katy Perry just won BDOTW in my mind
    she looks amazing
    and I for one can never tire of Marchesa
    sigh…such beautiful pieces

21. Jake November 6, 2009 at 01:49 #

Fashion Critic!

i understand that both beyonce and katy perry look stunning, but we all know that beyonce knew her dress, or a VERY similar version, was worn at the emmys by january jones. And Katy’s dress is very similar to blake lively’s marchesa that was up for BDOTW a couple weeks ago.

no doubt they look great, but i have to knock them a few grades because of the copycats.

you just cant repeat a dress that was worn at such a high profile event like the emmys, beyonce!

22. LizMelendreras/Stylist November 6, 2009 at 02:58 #

Please watch Latin Grammys tonight. Miss Universe 2009 wears a beautiful one shoulder dress.

23. LizMelendreras/Stylist November 6, 2009 at 03:00 #

Beyonce, Shakira, and Katy Perry look amazing.

24. Leelah November 6, 2009 at 05:36 #

I LOVE Katy’s dress – stunning.
    Shakira looks good too, although every time I look at that pic the black looks like a backpack strap

25. Jules O'C November 6, 2009 at 07:04 #

Morning!
    what a cra*fest
    i hate every single outfit Рit all looks so cheap Рbeyonc̩ does a beyonc̩ and my tired eyes & brain still dont like it
    argh – btw isn’t Leona wearing Westwood?
    and she also wore this big goth meringue dress
    *barf*
    EMA is always so “classy” and they’re all trying too hard to look like they care imho
    god, I’m even more moody after seeing this
    hope the rest of the day will bring some good fashion

26. Vicky November 6, 2009 at 08:46 #

I’m I the only one who feels that both Beyonce and Katy are overdressed?! Those gowns are, if not Oscar-worthy at least Golden Globes/Emmy-worthy and they bring them out for the EMAs?!?!

I have to say that my favourite is Joss Stone, for finally getting án all right look together!
    Shakira is also looking good.
    And Leona continues to bore me…

27. emma j November 6, 2009 at 09:51 #

I only like Katy perry, beyonce’s dress looks cheap ewwww

Katy perry is by far the best dressed of the night.

28. Leo November 6, 2009 at 10:12 #

My favorites are Joss Stone and Leona Lewis. Joss looks really fresh and fun, her hair and make-up are flawless and it’s her style but in a very polished version.
    Also liked Leona for it being unexpected, and such a great switch for her. It stands out among the crowd.

Beyoncé’s look is such a re-run for her, and I don’t really like that dress, The shinny parts are in a fight with the rest, it looks a bit cheap. I really love atelier Versace but this last collection felt so uninspired to me.

Katy should’ve worn the dress she wore to the press conference here. I do like her look, but again it feels “too much”.

• Leo November 6, 2009 at 10:14 #

Forgoto to name the worst: what the h was Shakira thinking? It looks like something she found on Mariah’s trash. And those shoes look fun on the runway but look like stripper shoes on her.

• Fashion Critic November 6, 2009 at 11:06 #

LOL…it’s not that bad :)

29. Rita November 6, 2009 at 12:19 #

Beyoncé and Katy…. WOW.

30. Ally November 6, 2009 at 12:51 #

That dress was made for Beyonce. And I have to agree with the other poster who said it was a copy of January Jone’s Emmys outfit. They are from the same collection, so they have the same feel (i.e., very structured top), but I think that is where the comparision ends. JJ’s was much more metalic and not fitted to her hips like the one Beyonce is wearing. Every dress from that stunning collection deserves a wow moment.

• Ally November 6, 2009 at 12:52 #

Ugh *disagree*

31. justme November 6, 2009 at 14:31 #

Oh ok Beyonce, so you can wear Versace to the freaking EMA’s (and look fab while doing so btw) yet when it’s Oscar time, you come out of the house with some House of Dereon crap. The fan in me is not amused -_-

Anyway, I agree. She should’ve pulled her hair back and Katy should’ve let hers down lol but the ladies both look amazing.

Leona’s look is unexpected and fun. Harem pants aren’t bad when they’re short, a solid discreet color and worn with heels. Yes as you can tell, I own a pair xD

• Fashion Critic November 6, 2009 at 14:38 #

You are killing me today. So funny :D

32. Alina November 6, 2009 at 16:08 #

Love Beyonce here.

33. Samantha November 6, 2009 at 17:33 #

BDOTW is going to be so hard this week especially now that Beyonce and Katy looked divine last night. I thought Camilla Belle would get my vote but Katy may sway me.

34. Igor November 6, 2009 at 19:54 #

Shakira’s dress is a vintage Gianni Versace.

• Fashion Critic November 6, 2009 at 20:32 #

thanks Igor.

35. critic November 6, 2009 at 22:38 #

shakira’s dress is vintage versace cant remember the year..but it was part of one the last collections gianni did before he died..i also remember the ad campaign they used only naomi in every shot

36. Alfredo November 6, 2009 at 22:38 #

Allegedly Shakira is wearing vintage Versace

37. XOXO November 10, 2009 at 05:48 #

My god that Marchesa dress is just stunning. Would’ve been better if Katy wore her head down and curly.