2009 Telva Magazine Fashion Awards

I love to bringing you red carpet stylish events from around the world, and this time we head to Madrid for the 2009 Telva Magazine Fashion Awards where Angel Schlesser was awarded “Best National Designer” and Diane Von Furstenberg was awarded “Best International Designer”.

Angel dressed many of the beautiful women at this event, whilst presenting himself in a very smart black suit.

Diane looked outstanding wearing a liquid gold gown with an embellished neckline.

Carolina Adriana Herrera and Genoveva Casanova both glammed up in Carolina Herrera gowns.

Carolina wore a stand out purple gown from the recent Spring 2010 presentation, with a central split and a criss cross detail going across the bodice.

Genoveva wore a grey Fall 2009, which was never my favourite gown from this collection but it looks really good on her.

A red carpet event is not a red carpet event without an Elie Saab gown.

Actress Paula Echevarria was breath-taking wearing a purple gown with a satin sash wrapped around the dress into a bow detail which rested on her shoulder.

Her orange jeweled clutch is by Dior.

BDOTW worthy.

I also loved Daphne Fernandez’ Hannibal Laguna Fall 2009 gown as it’s so dramatic, with the stunning embroidery details and the mermaid hem.

Daphne and the model are working the hell out of this exquisite gown. Kudos to both of them.

This is BDOTW worthy too.

Spanish writer Espido Freire’s pink Hannibal Laguna Spring 2009 dress was the most stunning on this red carpet, but she badly lets herself down with the Paco Gil shoes and and that blue shawl she’s carrying.

Things like the shawl need to be handed to the nearest lacky during photo ops.

Her jewels were by Vasari.

I think I’ve said it once…no I’ve said it a thousand times, this electric blue colour is so captivating on the red carpet.

I’m like a moth to a flame whenever I see this colour on the red carpet.

Tamara Falco looked divine in her Notte by Marchesa Fall 2009 one-shouldered gown with an embellished detail on the strap and bodice.

Arantxa del Sol looked spectacular wearing an Oscar de la Renta pleated duchess satin gown which was my favourite from the Fall 2009 collection.

She paired it with the runway belt which matched her clutch.

We’ve seen this Valentino Spring 2009 red dress many times on the red carpet and I always say the same thing.

Why would anyone want to wear a gown which is so unflattering on the hips?

Fiona Ferrer proves me right, as she looks so bottom heavy.

Alejandra Martos was kept in the shade wearing a strapless black gown, whilst Tony Acosta stood out wearing a two tone Oscar de la Renta Pre-Fall 2009 gown with a red rosette detail on the waist.

I love the shiny effect of her black skirt.

Vanessa Lorenzo opted for a blue shapeless gown of her own design, whilst Natalia Lopez looked angelic wearing an Angel Schlesser Spring 2010 ivory wrap gown.

Whilst everyone opted for gowns, TV personality Patricia Conde picked a youthful sassy Louis Vuitton Fall 2009 black and nude ensemble.

She went head-to-toe LV, as she paired her look with a LV gold clutch and Cancan heels.

It could just be the light, but I much prefer the softer blue runway version of Monica Molina’s Angel Schlesser Spring 2010 dress.

This black Juanjo Oliva Fall 2009 gown as worn by Nieves Alvarez is so amazing that it’s such a same the detail is lost against the black carpet and black background.

Her look is complete with a Roger Vivier clutch.

Model Martina Klein was pretty in a pink Angel Schlesser Spring 2010 mini dress with a ruffled detail on the bodice.

Here are some more looks by special request.

Princess Elena of Spain looked breath-taking wearing an Angel Schlesser Spring 2010 strapless gown.

I love the cerulean blue colour she wore, as it’s more regal to the ivory runway version.

Spanish model Mar Flores’ Angel Schlesser Spring 2010 strapless gown looks so buttery against her olive skin.

The feathered detail is a nice finishing touch.

Spanish model Estefania Luyk wore a taupe Giorgio Armani Pre-Fall 2009 strapless dress, but as usual I’m more drawn to the colourful Paco Rabanne confection that actress Laura Pamplona is wearing.

Carmen Lomana opted for a silky blue Juanjo Oliva Spring 2010 dress

Credit: Style.com, Zimbio, Vogue.es, Fashion Windows, & Wireimage

41 thoughts on “2009 Telva Magazine Fashion Awards

1. Pablo

I was really hoping you would feature this event, which here in Madrid is one of the most important of the year (fashion-wise)!! Thanks for bringing it to everyone!! And good job with the personalities!! :)

PS.- Angel Schlesser was awarded Best National Designer (that’s why so many guests wore him) and Diane Von Furstenberg Best International.

2. mol

Wow, looks like a little shopping trip to Madrid would be fun! So many stunning looks, but I would have to say that Daphne Fernandez in Hannibal Laguna was my favorite (I also loved the runway version of Laguna’s pale pink cocktail number).

Too too bad about the black backdrop for Nieves Alvarez in her black tiered Juanjo Olivia gown as i loved the details of that design.

Overall, just very fresh, the look all of it! (Oh and btw, I did love Diane Von F in her own design as well, that woman never gets old)

3. mm

These women look amazing. Everyone looks Statuesque! My favorite is Genoveva Casanova in that Carolina Herrera gown. The combinaton of the gown and how she is posing makes her look powerful.

4. Ally

I usually don’t like mermaid hems but Daphne Fernandez looks amazing. LOVE the top of the dress. And her hair/makeup are perfect.

It is too bad that Nieves Alvarez wore that dress to an event with a black background because it really is such an interesting dress.

5. Lee

I have never seen so many gorgeous gowns at one red carpet event before – absolutely stunning. Can’t even pick a favorite!

6. hsua

Nieves Alvarez’s clutch is Roger Vivier
    Espido´s shoes are Paco Gil and jewely from Vasari
    Paula Echevarria’s clutch is Dior

Please add more looks:

Mar Flores wore Angel Schlesser
    Pilar Abella wore Diane Von Furstenberg
    Laura Sanchez wore Dior
    Carmen Lomana wore Juanjo Oliva
    Carla Goyanes wore Valentino
    Clara Alonso wore Dior and Louboutin shoes
    Amaia Montero wore Chanel
    Estefania Luyk wore Armani

1. Fashion Critic Post author

OK, I’m going to try to find all these people now and update this post.

Thanks a lot

7. Kathleen

Wow. These women are the gowns they are wearing are breathtaking. Especially Daphne Fernandez’ Hannibal Laguna and the host of the evening – Pilar Abella (found her pic by following Robinsons link- posted above ;)) though I’m not sure who she was wearing? So many beautiful looks!

8. Kim

Where do I start??? Daphne is BDOTW!!!! FC, you are right. This is on instance where the model and the celeb BOTH look equally GREAT!

Genoveva looks good. Arantxa looks good also, BDOTW candidate? Natalia lookd fab. BDOTW candidate also? I usually don’ like cutesly looking outfits like that but Patricia looked FIERCE from head to toe! I prefer the runway color of Monica’s dress also. I too, hate that the detail was lost on Nieve’s gown. Again, it takes you to figure out which one it is. Otherwise I would never have known it was so fab. And finally Martina looks great in a pretty “unshapely” dress. I don’t know if I have ever like so many looks in one post!

9. Grape

i really love Patricia Conde!! she looks amazing with LV, i love too Paula Echevarria.
    Who is the bes dressed for you? :)

10. alex

for me best dressed have to be Tamara Falcó (agree with your opinion on the colour) and Patricia Conde, though see was, imo, a little under-dressed for the event she was looking great (which is easier if u are as pretty as she is)

11. justme

That Hannibal Laguna dress is amazing. Beyonce would kill a dress like that lol but Daphne did it more than enough justice. It’s only Wednesday but I think she has my vote for BDOTW.

12. Bego

I love Paula’s look… wonderful!! It’s great you belive her BDOTW worthy! I also like very much the dress Natalia Lopez is wearing, she looks fabulous!
    btw great work FC, i’m Spanish and don’t even know some of the women featured here… but it’s really awesome seeing you posting Spanish events :D

13. sevigny

Oh! FC thankyou so much for writing about a spanish event, it’s really exciting seeing our celebrities in your web! But I don’t agree with you in this one, I don’t really liked the looks the guests wear in this event. Especially Patricia Conde, normally she is amazing, has an incredible style, I recommend you to look for some of her looks (specially the ones from her tv show) cause it’s great, but here I don’t like her outfit at all, it’s too much. Another one who disappoints me is Paula Etxebarria, she has more style than any other celebritie in spain, but here… shes ok, but there is something of the dress (i don’t know what) that doesn’t like me.
    By the way, if you like Dafne’s dress you should look for that designer, Hannibal Laguna, he’s amazing, my favourite designer of the hole world.

1. Fashion Critic Post author

thanks for your message Sevigny.

I have spent a lot of time looking back on Hannibal Laguna’s work. I fell in love with his designs when I discovered him from the Goya Awards. He really is a genius.

I think the looks are OK. I guess you see these ladies more often than I do, so you are more used to knowing their regular styles.

I will try to keep up with these ladies more often.

1. silvana.stredel

REPRESENTING! Y’ALL! (again)
        hes venezuela, ohhh Im so proud of hiiimm and his designs are gorgeousss
        I wonder…..was Isabel Preysler there? cos she’s ALWAYS on the red carpet when it comes to Madrid events..
        I was so excited when I read this post because I knew most of the people (cos I read HOLA! the spanis version of HELLO! magazine (= )
        keep posting about Hannila Laguna!

14. Alexandra

i just LOOOOVE Paula and Daphnem and Tamara and Natalia… and so on! can’t decide who looks the best! Almost everyone is amazing. Spain must be a really stylish country ;)

and how refreshing is that – not a hint of Herve Leger, Trib Twos, black Louboutins and all the stuff…

1. Fashion Critic Post author

I loved your point about lack of Trib Two’s
      Herve Leger and black Louboutin’s this event

So so very refreshing indeed

15. Leo

Daphne Fernandez does a great dive pose. And that dress is so dramatic and interesting, she was the queen of the night.

Also loving Laura Pamplona’s dress but maybe she should’ve have saved it for another event, it seems quite “simple” compared to some of the other ladies that went all out with huge gowns.

16. alex

I would venture to say that Juanjo Oliva is nowadays the best spanish designer.
    Btw, you have a lot of spanish followers! including myself ; )

17. thesil

Laura Pamplona is wearing Paco Rabanne and Vanessa Lorenzo wears her own design, she is a spanish model but is studing design at the moment.

Great post. My favourite? Nieves Alvarez despite the background.

18. Nuria

I’ve been following your site for over a month now… and I’m so glad you’re bringing something Spanish to the table! I’ m, indeed, Spanish, and always thought some of our designers need more international recognition. Angel Schlesser and Juanjo Oliva will be some, but there’s many other ones.

It’s just great to see some Spanish events in a blog like this, so thanks! ;)

1. Fashion Critic Post author

It’s a lot of fun for me too to learn more designers and celebrities.

I’m glad you appreciate this and I happy to proudly support Spanish designers. :D

19. Joana Oliveira

Loved Princess Elena’s look!!! I’m glad to see her not looking so “heavy”!!

and btw, the presenter of the event wore a very nice dress from Diane Von Furstenberg, on the red carpet!!