27.10.09

13th Annual Hollywood Awards Gala Ceremony

Hilary Swank continues to give red carpet master classes, this time wearing a Monique Lhuillier Fall 2009 black gown.

The cut-out details some how make the actress look even more slender and taller, and the embellish details prevent this from being a boring black gown.

Oscar buzz will guarantee you one thing – an endless supply of stunning dresses to wear on the red carpet – and that’s exactly what Carey Mulligan has been wearing lately.

The style-icon-in-the-making wore a Prabal Gurung Spring 2010 black beaded chiffon strapless dress with shirttail hem and silk faille bowtie to cinched in her waist.

She teamed her dress with tortoise-shell heels and a chunky gold bracelet.

I’m loving the quiff.

Zooey Deschanel is probably the only person who I feel dresses up with tights, rather than covers up with tights.

We often see her in various colours of tights, but on this occasion she opted for black to match the black trims on her cute Luella Spring 2010 dress.

Her look was paired with Martin Lewis for Luella bow accented heels and a black Chanel bag.

Like the runway model Zooey wears a black bow in her hair, but she opted to wears hers at the back.

There were a lot of black dresses at this event, but Kate Beckinsale’s Michael Kors Resort 2010 dress was made interesting with the asymmetrical neckline and the draped detail on the skirt.

Long gold earrings and a chunky cuff complete the sophisticated look.

Despite Diane Kruger being one of the few not to wear black at this event, I wasn’t crazy about her look.

She kept her look light and feminine wearing a Narciso Rodriguez Spring 2010 white silk dress with a rise and fall hem, but unfortunately the nude heels really let her down.

I loved how this gown billowed on the runway, and although that drama is lost on the red carpet Diane still tried to make it work.

I also preferred how the dress sits above the knee on the model, the length feels a bit awkward on Diane.

Julianne Moore is not afraid of colour, as she wore a beautiful coral dress with voluminous sleeves.

I adore the colour on her.  She can be so breath-taking at times without much effort.

The actress paired her dress with Chanel ankle strap heels, and a black Bottega Veneta Impero satin clutch.

Michelle Monaghan looked stunning in a black strapless dress with a floral embroidered detail on the bodice.

She glows as brightly as her Martin Katz jewels.

Dare I say this, but I’m bored.

Charlize Theron normally blows me away each time she hits the red carpet, but I can only get excited about her red Louboutin’s with a gold toe cap and Bottega Veneta clutch.

Her The Row ensemble is very meh!!!

AnnaLynne McCord provided the sultry glamour I was expecting from Charlize, by posing seductively in a one-shouldered black gown.

Taraji P. Henson is wearing a really nice Rachel Roy dress, but it somehow feels out of place at this event.

I’m also not loving the hair extensions. She worked the shorter style really well.

What’s most tragic is the make-up. Why does she have a layer of white powder under her eyes?

[nggallery id=218]

Credit: Style.com & Wireimage

Mad Men Season 4 Finale Red Carpet

Mad Men Season 4 Finale Red Carpet

Avon Foundation Celebrates "Champions Who Change Women's Lives"

Avon Foundation Celebrates “Champions Who Change Women’s Lives”

28 Responses to 13th Annual Hollywood Awards Gala Ceremony

1. mm October 27, 2009 at 14:41 #

Julianne Moore wins for me for this event.
    I love Diane Kruger’s shoes better than her dress. Yes I agree Taraji’s hair and make-up are tragic. I just think of Elvira mistress of the dark

• Sara October 27, 2009 at 18:51 #

I was totally thinking of Elvira too! LOL. I just can’t get past her pointy eyebrows, white undereyes and long hair to see the dress.

2. Hellwafashion October 27, 2009 at 14:50 #

Hilary Swank wins for me. that dress was made for her. She looks gorgeous

3. YSLGirl October 27, 2009 at 14:51 #

Julianne Moore and Zooey Deschanel’s outfits were the only ones I really loved. Oh, and Carey Mulligan & Michelle Monaghan look great, too. These four are BDotW worthy.

Taraji’s eye makeup is bad.

I like AnnaLynne’s hair, but I don’t care for the dress.

Hilary Swank’s dress is too safe. I would’ve liked to have seen her wear it like on the runway.

The term ‘She can wear anything’ should not exist if it can’t even apply to Diane Kruger. I thought she would’ve been able to have pulled this look off, but it’s really unflattering on her.

Kate Beckinsale is dull as always. Her poses are annoying, too.

I wish Charlize would’ve worn something more interesting.

4. MLEstyle October 27, 2009 at 15:09 #

Love AnnaLynn McCord’s style!

5. Lina October 27, 2009 at 15:12 #

I see a faint goggle tan around AnnaLynne’s eyes. I agree with out about Dianne, it might have looked nicer if the length was shorter.

6. Kim October 27, 2009 at 15:14 #

Hillary looks gret minus the hairstyle. I wish she had left the sleeves on the dress. They are too cute.

• Ahot October 28, 2009 at 09:40 #

I totally agree with you. It would have been interesting to see her wearing those sleeves.

7. Kim October 27, 2009 at 15:15 #

Kate always looks great but I wish she had worn the red and WHAT happened to Taraji’s eyes. Was her makeup done in the dark? How could they not see that???

8. Kim October 27, 2009 at 15:17 #

One more thing Dianne looks like Courtney love in a wedding dress gone bad. It’s horrible.

• Susana October 27, 2009 at 18:17 #

LOL… I couldn’t agree more!

9. Alexandra October 27, 2009 at 15:57 #

I looooove Zooey’s dress and the overall look :) although it doesn’t really feel like red carpet look, won’t you agree?

Adore this gown on AnnaLynne. If Carey is style-icon-in-the-making, AnnaLynne is sex-bomb-of-hger-generation-in-the-making?

Is there another pair of Calypso heels on Charlize’s feet? *_*

• Fashion Critic October 27, 2009 at 16:46 #

yep, they sure are becoming very popular heels

10. zoe October 27, 2009 at 16:32 #

what is up with taraji’s makeup? either her makeup artist ran out of time doing her makeup and taraji was crazy enough to go to an event looking like anyway or taraji had a 4 year old do her makeup. why would anyone think that looks good? that is literally WHITE powder globbed under her eyes.

i am left very confused.

annalynne looks amazing. charlize does indeed look very boring. diane looks really bad as well. i’m also loving kate’s look.

• Ahot October 28, 2009 at 09:43 #

Taraji is as scary as Sharon Stone! Or was it Halloween?

11. Leo October 27, 2009 at 17:18 #

I’m so in love with Carey Mulligan. She will be one to look foward for in the upcoming awards season. Her style is very interesting and you can see she’s having a good fun and enjoying her breaktrought. Good pick for an lbd, black bot so not boring, it’s flirty.

Also amazed by how good Julianne Moore looks in coral. You may think it’s too orange for a redhead but she rocks it so well, it compliments her beautifully and that dress is just exquisite.

This is going to be a strong week for the best dressed poll…

12. CMD October 27, 2009 at 17:31 #

Julianne Moore’s shoes are YSL– she wins it for me. Looks the best at every event. GORGEOUS!

PS: LOOOVVVEEE your blog– it’s my fave.

• Fashion Critic October 27, 2009 at 17:46 #

Thanks for the love and she shoe I d

I will update later when I get back to my pc.

On the blackberry at the mo

13. mol October 27, 2009 at 17:33 #

I like Zooey’s slightly messy, romantic bohemian chic look, and IMO, the Monique Lhuillier with the sleeves makes the waist cutouts more eye catching.

14. Felicity October 27, 2009 at 17:40 #

Julianne looks amazing – the dress and shoes are great, and I am not usually a big fan of hers. She should be a BDOTW contender!

15. ZzaRaZza October 27, 2009 at 17:45 #

Julianne Moore looks fantastic

16. Kaylie October 27, 2009 at 18:04 #

I agree that Carey looks great, but she always looks so sad to me.

17. yumey October 27, 2009 at 18:31 #

AnnaLynne looks so amazing, totally loving that look.Kate is always my fav but i wish she had worn that red one instead because it would have totally wowed us all.Hilary looks stunning,loving the cut-out details.

18. marky October 27, 2009 at 19:04 #

Taraji looks like a Tyra Banks/RuPaul hybrid.

19. justme October 27, 2009 at 20:46 #

I’m trying to like this Carey girl, I really am but if she doesn’t step her shoe game up… *sigh*

I miss Charlize circe the ‘Hancock’ promo tour. Don’t get me wrong, she looks good but we all know she can do better.

20. Sally October 27, 2009 at 21:25 #

Zooey as always looks amazing. that Luella collection was made for her. I have never, ever seen Michelle Monaghan look better. Flawless. BDOTW for sure.

• Fashion Critic October 27, 2009 at 21:48 #

I totally agree, it was made for her

21. Nitasha October 28, 2009 at 05:46 #

Oh no she didn’t! I cannot believe that everyone looked better than Charlize Theron at this event…whatever happened to the ‘goddess of the red-carpet’? I love Kate Beckinsale’ dress and styling; Julianne Moore looks effortlessly gorgeous in that classy dress but kudos to Annalynne McCord for holding her own on a red-carpet filled with heavyweights despite a mediocre dress…her hair and make-up is just fab!