20.10.09

2009 Whitney Museum Gala

I searched all over and couldn’t find anything modified on Donatella Versace’s Spring 2010 strapless blush gown.

I guess her mantra was in this case, ‘if it ain’t broke why fix it?’

I would go as far as to say that I prefer this gown on Donatella, because the bodice is more tightly fasten giving Donatella a stunning silhouette.

Shakira got the honour of wearing a gown from the recently presented Atelier Versace Fall 2009 collection.

The gunmetal gown had a corseted bodice which reduced the singers already tiny waist, before skimming her famous curves and revealing her sexy legs via a central split.

Leather details accented the strapless gown, which looks great on Shakira but fails to wow as I would’ve expected.

Despite Lake Bell wearing a simpler gown I love the way she totally owns this look.

The colour is divine on her olive skin and the cut accentuates her toned figure.

Taylor Momsen wore stunning nude Grecian Versace Fall 2009 chiffon gown embellished with metal details around her waist.

I love the gown, but hair and make-up pour cold water all over this look for me.

She could have laid off the heavy eye-liner for one night.

Nothing surprises me about Alexa Chung’s look. The ankle boots were very much expected.

I’m just glad she’s not wearing them with a beautiful gown.

Mischa Barton is already quite a broad shouldered girl, so I was surprised she picked the only gown from the Versace Fall 2009 collection which would highlight her broad shoulders.

The sapphire blue is beautiful on her though.

Lisa Edelstein may not have been wearing a Versace gown, but her Pamella Roland Fall 2009 black gown was just as a elegant as the rest.

I love the black velvet spiral detail around her waist and the bejeweled strap.

Great look for her.

If this was a model face-off Isabeli Fontana would win.

The Versace Fall 2009 aqua dress is hugging her in all the right places, whereas it’s just hanging off Chanel Iman.

Lindsay Lohan arrived at this event wearing a fluffy pink Versace Fall 2009 coat, but removed it inside to reveal a strapless gold mini dress.

I expected it to be from her recent Emanuel Ungaro Spring 2010 disaster collection, but the gold dress may have been custom made for her by Donatella for this event.

Since Jennifer Hudson had her baby boy we haven’t really seen her glammed up on the red carpet until this event.

She didn’t let us or herself down by looking like a fairytale princess wearing a blush pink Versace gown, which she paired with a matching pink clutch and diamond bracelets.

She was my 3rd favourite of the night after Lake Bell.

Taylor changed into a Versus Spring 2010 mini black dress, as she was the DJ at the after party.

I guess this explains the heavy eye make-up, as it’s much more appropriate for this LBD.

The stockings?? I can’t even go there.

[nggallery id=210]

Credit: Style.com, London Features & Wireimage

Eddie Redmayne In Alexander McQueen - Wimbledon Championships

Eddie Redmayne In Alexander McQueen – Wimbledon Championships

Who Wore Luella Better? Alexa Chung or Princess Beatrice

Who Wore Luella Better? Alexa Chung or Princess Beatrice

59 Responses to 2009 Whitney Museum Gala

1. Alicia October 20, 2009 at 18:51 #

I like nearly everything from this red carpet. It’s a pity Lindsay looks so…embalmed.

2. mol October 20, 2009 at 18:54 #

All the Versace dresses are beautifully designed with glamorous and interesting details; the two who wore their dresses best for me were Shakira and Lake Bell.

• Noora Al-thani October 20, 2009 at 19:46 #

i agree .. i love Shakira’s :)

3. Jules O'C October 20, 2009 at 18:55 #

oh my – this is the first time I love something that Donatella wears – I really just love it
    Lake – amazing! I can’t decide which combo I prefer
    Toni owning the powder version or Lake the red one
    First time that I think Chanel looks wrong
    and the Lohan *shudders* don’t get me started
    I really want to punch the person who does her lips

• Alicia October 20, 2009 at 19:03 #

I want to punch the person who keeps her so medicated.

• Lee October 21, 2009 at 11:33 #

Hahaha good one

4. Alexandra October 20, 2009 at 18:56 #

i think there’s a split above the model’s right hip, and I can’t see it on Donatella’s dress. Usually she covers such cutouts when she modifies the dress for herself. But I can’t tell for sure ;)

Love Taylor’s dress, shame about the makeup and her constant expression i just can’t stand. Lake Bell looks lovely.

5. mm October 20, 2009 at 18:59 #

Love dontella’s creation, don’t like the fit around her breast, they look uneven. Alexa Chung needs a hair stylist fast! Love Shakira’s gown as it gives her a nice hour-glass silhouette. Lindsay hairlcolor is horrible on her. Not feeling the nude lip on Jennifer Hudson.

• Kim October 20, 2009 at 20:32 #

SO AGREE about the boobies! It looks horrible to me!

• AJoanna October 20, 2009 at 23:21 #

Oh yeah, I agree too. It looks like she’s about to have a wardrobe malfunction. She should have left the bodice loose. The dress was prettier on the model, in my opinion.
        I LOVE Taylor’s dress, though, and the hair’s not horrible, but the makeup is horrific. Someone wash her face, seriously.
        Jennifer looks stunning, I’m not fond of her makeup either though.

• alex October 20, 2009 at 23:23 #

i do agree as well!
        and i think Alex´s looking great, nice little dress, i would put her on BDOTW

• Caroline October 21, 2009 at 00:37 #

I totally agree about Donatella’s breasts, they do not fit in that dress! I admit her waist looks amazing but in a way it only emphasises the fact that the dress is too small at the top.

6. Szonja October 20, 2009 at 18:59 #

Lindsay, oh nooo… what the lovely redhead little girl has become! Even though the age difference Donatella Versace looks better than Lindsay. Anyway the pink fur coat is beautiful.
    Chanel Iman is radiant every time. She is always smiling and I’m sure she never pretending it.
    Platinum blonde-dyed hair is what I’m getting tired of, for me it’s absolutely a cheap-looking appearance.

7. YSLGirl October 20, 2009 at 19:51 #

God, what a boring array of dresses with the same tacky design. The only dress I truly love here is Taylor’s. But of course she had to ruin it by trying too hard.

8. Catherine October 20, 2009 at 19:51 #

I gasped when I saw the picture of Lake Bell. She looks AMAZING!! The dress hugs her in all the right places and the color is divine!!! And with the stone-cold-fox look she gives the camera!!!!!!! For me, she is the epitome of sexy in this dress. She gets my vote for BDOTW!!!

• Fashion Critic October 20, 2009 at 20:51 #

she’s in for sure

9. WendyB October 20, 2009 at 19:59 #

Love LisaE’s gown…really pretty.

10. Lara October 20, 2009 at 20:03 #

While I love Shakira, I think perhaps why the gown looks great but doesn’t WOW on her is because it needs a taller silhouette

• Fashion Critic October 20, 2009 at 20:51 #

You make a great point

11. Lexa October 20, 2009 at 20:15 #

Lake looks stunning! For me a BDOTW contender.
    I also loved Mamie Gummer at that event – she wore a beautiful electric blue gown.

12. Bego October 20, 2009 at 20:16 #

Lake Bell looks absolutely stunning! but i’m not really sure about Shakira… maybe it’s the hair, it looks like a wig.
    FC i agree with you, Isabeli Fontana would totally win that face-off, that dress is so not for Chanel Iman, it makes her look even more skinny, if that is possible.
    I love the colour of Jennifer Hudson dress against her skin, wonderful look!
    And well, about Taylor Momsen… she needs to change that make up, please!! plus the after party stocking-showing dress…. no comments.

13. Alicia October 20, 2009 at 20:20 #

Also, Amanda Hearst ruined this amazing piece with her opaque tights:

• jill October 21, 2009 at 12:48 #

See, once again, I’ve guessed wrong, because I love Amanda H’s use of black opaque tights (& what I think are black booties?) with the sequins. I love how this season we can wear luxurious items day OR night, and dress them up or down. I feel that dress would be less successful with clear stockings & sandals, which is so last year.

Black opaque gives it a modern edge. In my opinion! ; )

14. Ally October 20, 2009 at 20:29 #

Donatella looks great. That look was a little creepy on the runway b/c it looked like the models legs and midsection were detached!

Unfortunately I think the dress doesn’t look as good on Iman because she has no curves to hug. At least she brought her smile.

I like the dress that Shakira is wearing, but I feel like the slit hits her in the wrong place. I want it to come down a little lower and be on the side instead.

• mol October 21, 2009 at 01:36 #

I think you have a good point on where the slit in Shakira’s dress should be; I saw another picture of her where she is facing slightly sideways and the slit looked as if it was more to the side which does look much better.

15. Matt October 20, 2009 at 20:34 #

If you didn’t ID the LBD taylor is wearing, I would assume she bought it from the victoria secret catalogue: Hooker edition. She should stick to what she wears best, I don’t know what it is, but from the look of things, she doesn’t have a clue either. Lindsay..Poor Lindsay, Her face looks like the railroad of a train wreck.

everyone else looks great.

• Fashion Critic October 20, 2009 at 20:49 #

lol

16. Mar October 20, 2009 at 20:51 #

I love Chanel, Jennifer, Taylor and Alexa though all of them look fabulous. My fave btw is Alexa ’cause she usually wears black clothes and seeing her with that gorgoues blue mini dress is really amazing!!

17. ~**juDee**~ October 20, 2009 at 21:08 #

not impressed with this event in the slightest….
    jennifer’s wearing too much make-up, lindsay just looks plain dirty-much like Xtina in her “dirty” days….
    taylor momsen’s about 10. doesnt she have homework to be catching up on?? and a bedtime to meet??……
    chanel iman just looks like a child. no curves therefore she does not do the dress any justice….
    donatella’s cleavage looks uneven….i agree with Lara that shakira’s dress would look waaayyy better on someone taller
    alexa chungs the only one i can say i like the look of at this event! goshhh, where is sienna miller when u need her??!!

18. eimear October 20, 2009 at 21:18 #

The dress that shakiras wearing just screams Cate Blanchett dress to me.. she would own it!

19. belle October 20, 2009 at 21:24 #

I think shakira should also be in bdotw along with lake bell. they are both perfection.

• Fashion Critic October 20, 2009 at 21:27 #

Personally I disagree. She just looks OK.

Lake looked much better

20. nicole October 20, 2009 at 22:08 #

out of all the gowns i liked taylors the best just not her in it!! but in terms of the whole look shakira, lake and jhud were my favs!

21. lan October 20, 2009 at 22:44 #

i think mischa’s make-up looks the best its looked in ages here, it just looks beautifully natural on her.

22. Harris October 20, 2009 at 23:28 #

Can we please talk about Lindsay Lohan for a sec? OMG. I have been trying to give this girl a break, but I don’t think it’s working. Her nail chipped polish?? Her pout?? this is just too much.

• Fashion Critic October 21, 2009 at 07:48 #

Her skin…the list is endless

23. sydneycheapchic October 20, 2009 at 23:35 #

aww I love Taylor’s versace dress.. why did she have to ruin it?

best dressed for this event for me would have to be lake bell and lisa edelstein.

• Fashion Critic October 21, 2009 at 07:46 #

I agree with you re: Best Dressed at this event + Jennifer

24. amelia October 21, 2009 at 00:23 #

I am TERRIFIED! All these beautiful gowns from Versace’s fall 2009 collection, which I so eagerly expected to see on the red carpet, all ruined! None of the wearers makes them justice! I’m so dissapointed… p.s: taylor momsen should be forbidden to walk any red carpet, since she has an uncanny talent to destroy every single great thing she is allowed to wear

25. lucas October 21, 2009 at 00:47 #

Donatella looks absolutely fantastic in that dress this might the best she has ever looked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Donetella, Lake, and Shakria should all be SERIOUS contenders for BDOFW, they are perfection!! Mamie Gummer and Alexandra Richards also attended this event looking gorgeous in Fall 2009 Versace gowns!!! Also Amanda Hearst (whoever that is) wore that gold and silver Spring 2009 mini (that Gwyneth wore to the Grammies) with black tights!!! Horrible, Horrible, Horrible!! Can i just say again how AMAZING Donetella looks (Sighs). :)

26. Megan October 21, 2009 at 00:48 #

Jennifer Hudson looks so radient and happy here. She deserves to be happy – it makes me smile every time she goes out looking amazing. Lindsay is the opposite, I cringe every time I see a pic of her. She looks so old and worn out! I wish someone would help her – it’s painfully obvious she needs it.

27. staramour October 21, 2009 at 04:31 #

I agree with the love for Ms Bell. However, I think Mischa also looks terrific – she looks well rested and the color is beautiful on her (and the color is just beautiful on its own!). I agree it might broaden her, but she looks so healthy that I want to give credit. But Lake Bell for the win on BDOTW!

Now, Lindsey and Taylor, go home and wash your faces! And, heck, Alexa, even I have better shoes to go with that dress.

28. GRACE October 21, 2009 at 04:35 #

Why, Taylor, WHY????
    Second look was a disaster, but strangely I loved the first. (Fishnets were questionable, though…)

29. vasudea October 21, 2009 at 07:17 #

i think Lisa Edelstein looked phenomenal…along with Lake Bell

30. Alfredo October 21, 2009 at 08:46 #

I LOVE Donatella’s gown and how she “fixed it” but I want to see it on someone else.

-Shakira has the best gown but unfortunately her hair ruins it, if it would of been draker or completely pulled back it would of been a perfect 10, also for her height, it’s best to move the slit to the side.

-Lake Bell, love it from the face down, she fills it out nicely but she looks boring in this amazing gown.

-Taylor Momsen, great gown just not on her, her extensions and make up ruin the vibe of the gown.

-Mischa Barton, Great color, just change the design of the top of gown to flatter her.

-Lisa, nice gown, that’s it.

-Chanel, she needs more curves for that dress.

-Lindsay, nice dress, but someone get this girl some help!!!

-Jennifer Hudson, pretty gown and she had to potential to be a perfect 10 just style her hair in a pretty updo and remove some of eye shadow, it’s to much.

-Taylor’s 2nd look was ok, you hit it right on the nail, the stockings are a disaster for someone as skinny as her, she needs some sex appeal to pull it off.

To tell you the truth, there were some AMAZING gowns here, but no one did them justice.

• Dorian Gray October 21, 2009 at 10:21 #

I agree with u. I Love Versace designs but I expected them to be worn so much better (however Donatella rocks!)

31. jill October 21, 2009 at 10:14 #

My favourite surprised me: Lisa Edelstein, who I’ve never ‘got it’ about her beauty. Maybe it’s just her pose in that particular shot, maybe her natural part is just a coincidence, but she’s got the asymmetry down just right.

& I don’t do red, but I won’t let that prejudice stop me from applauding Lake Bell’s look: it’s perfect.

Also LOVE Jennifer Hudson looking so voluptuous and glowing in baby ballerina pink, such a flattering colour for her skin tones.

By contrast, of course it’s a shame that Lindsey chose such a beautiful pink coat which would have looked stunning on pale skin if she just happened to be wearing her hair black or dark chocolate, and it would have helped to have the coat buttoned, as per the catwalk shot.

re: Donatella. My eye went straight to her right breast, and the spillage effect, and her arms… if you compare it to Jennifer’s youthful, post baby cleavage.. it’s not fair, I know, but there are ways to show off our bodies as we age, I feel, but still, ideally, with dignity. And I agree: bottle blonde is looking SO 20th Century!

My third choice is the other end of the body spectrum from Jennifer, but I do love Chanel Iman in that dress: it’s so simple and right with those shoes, almost like she’s wearing a simple day dress in a sunny street market. I prefer it on her to Isabeli, but I always seem to be off the mark from the general consensus.

Which is why I love this game! Thanks FC, have a lovely day! xx

• Fashion Critic October 21, 2009 at 11:06 #

you too sweetie x

• Lee October 21, 2009 at 11:38 #

I couldn’t agree with you more on your Donatella comment. There are ways to show off our bodies as we age with dignity and Donatella does not do that. As fab as she is I can’t see anything else but tackiness when I see her on the red carpet.

32. Lina October 21, 2009 at 10:52 #

Jen Hud’s eye makeup is so perfect

33. Tess April 22, 2011 at 11:47 #

i love taylor momsen’s versus dress
    what shoes is she wearing though?
    does anyone know the brand?