Rome Film Festival Weekend Catch Up

“Viola Di Mare” Premiere

Maria Grazia Cucinotta was by far my favourite on the red carpet this weekend.

The stunning actress looked divine wearing an Armani Privé spiral gown which was embroidered with Swarovski crystals.

This gown is very similar to the Privé gown Sharon Stone wore recently.

Isabella Ragonese wore a beautiful dress with an unmistakable Missoni floral print from the Fall 2008 collection.

The grey and blue print dress had ruffled shoulders and an embellished detail cascading down one  side.

We don’t often get so see Roberta Armani on the red carpet, but she doesn’t disappoint wearing a Giorgio Armani Fall 2009 two-tone black on gold bustier dress.

Her brunette locks were swept to one-side, as she paired her dress with Armani accessories.

“Viola Di Mare” Photocall

I loved Isabella Ragonese’s Missoni dress, but I wasn’t crazy about her Isabel Marant Fall 2009 look.

I much prefer the runway colour combination.

“Up In The Air” Premiere

I wasn’t a fan of Elisabetta Canalis last red carpet look, but she does a complete 180 by looking spectacular wearing an Armani Privé Fall 2009 midnight blue strapless velvet gown, with a lighter blue satin bodice.

She opted to wear her sash around her neck rather than tying it into a cute bow as the look was presented on the runway.

George Clooney was decked out in Giorgio Armani tuxedo.

“The Imaginarium Of Doctor Parnassus”

Lily Cole opted for a very familiar Dolce & Gabbana black corset gown, which looks amazing on her.

Despite seeing this gown many times in various colours, I’m not bored seeing it on Lily.

Rose McGowan toned down the sex kitten for a demure look despite the bright fuchsia colour of her Dolce & Gabbana gown.

Normally her looks are shorter, tighter and more revealing.

“The Last Station” Premiere

Helen Mirren was perfection personified – as always – wowing the crowds wearing a sleeveless gown with a large bow and diamond brooch detail.

She was easily my second favourite from this weekends looks.

Credit: Style.com & Wireimage

In Lucie Jones' Closet - Preen Power Dress

In Lucie Jones’ Closet – Preen Power Dress

On The Set Of Sex And The City 2 With Kim Cattrall and Miley Cyrus Wearing The Same Matthew Williamson Dress

27 Responses to Rome Film Festival Weekend Catch Up

1. sydneycheapchic October 19, 2009 at 13:09 #

I am loving the Missoni dress! I’m not usually fussed about the whole black tights thing, but this time it does totally ruin the beautiful dress… Maybe Joy Bryant will wear it as well without tights *fingers crossed*

Helen Mirren is elegant and classy as always!

• Fashion Critic October 19, 2009 at 13:13 #

See tights can very easily ruin a look. ;)

2. Cheryl October 19, 2009 at 13:26 #

i’m curious, FC. you’ve said before how tights can ruin a look. Are you referring to all tights in general or just opaque ones? perhaps you could do a feature on tights that shows what works well with which type of tights and which tights are a big fat NO NO…

All the best! XD

• Fashion Critic October 19, 2009 at 13:33 #

black tights don’t work for me in general on the red carpet. Everyday life yes, but they just ruin looks for me on the red carpet

• Ally October 19, 2009 at 13:38 #

I agree. Tights are fine for the office or just going out with friends, but when you are walking the redcarpet in a stunning dress you should suck it up. :-P

I seriously hope I look half as good as Helen when I am older. She always looks so regal and beautiful, but not like she is trying to hide her age. I don’t understand why some people can’t embrace their age instead of running from it.

• Fashion Critic October 19, 2009 at 13:49 #

Lol @ suck it up

Couldn’t agree more

3. Snarky Sharky October 19, 2009 at 13:35 #

Oh Helen! She looks fabulous here as, well, always

4. Aideen October 19, 2009 at 13:41 #

is it just me or is rose mcgowan looking a bit lindsay lohany? the dress she’s wearing is quite nice but her face lets her down

5. Stuti October 19, 2009 at 14:06 #

Okay, I have a HUGE problem with tights as seen on the red carpet, even Net-a-porter. There are some beautiful pieces which they ALWAYS ruin by pairing the dresses with thick black tights. Net-a-porter’s styling has me screaming! And most of these red carpet frequenters take tips from net-a-porter. I wish these black tights could be banned!

6. iona October 19, 2009 at 14:06 #

hey FC,

the Roberta Armani’s dress isn’t the same Eugenia Silva wore few days ago?
    xoxo

• Fashion Critic October 19, 2009 at 17:39 #

yep I saw that thanks

7. Kim October 19, 2009 at 15:00 #

Rose looks great! I like the new look.

Maria looks great but I wonder if the dress could fit better.

8. Mimi October 19, 2009 at 15:14 #

Helen Mirren is pure class – she dresses so well and looks fabulous.

9. Mimi October 19, 2009 at 15:16 #

After last week’s Iman debacle, just wanted to add, can you add Helen Mirren to BDOTW please?

• Fashion Critic October 19, 2009 at 17:41 #

debacle???

Wow

• Mimi October 20, 2009 at 02:08 #

I was joking. I thought it was funny how many people wanted Iman as BDOTW but forgot to ask, so I thought I’d get my request in early. I love your site FC, so no criticism of you at all!

10. amelia October 19, 2009 at 15:32 #

I am not at all liking Elisabetta Canalis in the Privé dress, she makes it look quite average, it totally loses it charm; Helen Mirren, on the other hand, is perfection as always, she knows like few how to dress her age, and damn, she’s aging SO well.

11. JJ October 19, 2009 at 15:56 #

WTF is wrong with Rose McGowan face??????????? Oh the horror!!!!!!!

• Ally October 19, 2009 at 18:11 #

I just wanted to add b/c I see this a lot about Rose. I am not saying that she didn’t have something else done too (not like I know her), but she was in a really bad car accident a few years ago. The force smashed her sunglasses into her face (OUCH) and she had to have plastic surgery around her eyes.

12. Marvel October 19, 2009 at 16:03 #

Helen = Classy
    Totally know what you mean about Lily Cole

13. mol October 19, 2009 at 16:28 #

Lily Cole could wear that dress forever and I wouldn’t get tired of it on her! I love Rose McGowen’s dress and I just wonder if she is jet lagging – her eyes look puffy…..Helen is an inspiration but what’s up with the clenched hands (is she cold…or angry…or what? Anyway slightly distracting….but still beautiful)

14. Sydne October 19, 2009 at 18:41 #

I didn’t know that about Rose’s accident. That’s awful. I think her hair is contributing to the bad look as well, though.

And agreed. If only everyone could look like Helen past 50 this world would be the most beautiful place.

15. Linda October 19, 2009 at 19:54 #

I really like the Missoni dress, but as they sometimes say, in this case, the dress is wearing the lady.

16. The one October 19, 2009 at 20:19 #

That Dolce & Gabbana black corset dress is so Dolce & Gabbana black, I never get tired of it!

17. zoe October 20, 2009 at 04:26 #

lily cole looks absolutely stunning, amazing and beautiful.
    she should be in bdotw. she rarely has knockout looks like this. but when she does…WOW.

18. Jen October 20, 2009 at 05:16 #

I think Lily looks divine. Her hair and makeup in particular are flawless!

19. gasp October 22, 2009 at 14:02 #

Have you seen the amazing Chanel dress of Valeria Solarino, actress of “Viola di Mare”?
    At this event, there was also Nicoletta Romanoff, pregnant italian actress, wearing a gorgeous Valentino pink dress (SS 2010); Angunn (total look Blugirl) at “The cove” premiere; James Ivory at “The city of your final destination” premiere with a bustier Alberta Ferretti dress!