13.10.09 Style Spotlight

Style Spotlight – Anna Dello Russo

Anna Dello Russo is the fashion director and creative consultant for Vogue Nippon.

I’ve always wanted to focus on her unique style, as she must have the most enviable closet of any fashionista.

She wears all the daring pieces I wish we would see on the red carpet.

She’s bold and fearless, without going over board.  She’s always tasteful and chic.

I maybe be wrong, but I’m yet to see her repeat a look like Carine Roitfeld and Anna Wintour.

Here’s a look a some of her recently looks which I’m totally in love with.

My favourite look has to be this Balenciaga dress for two reasons.

Firstly it looks so divine on her, and secondly it’s a beautiful colour combination.

I thought celebrities would’ve been queuing up around the block to get their hands on this beautiful dress, so I’m very grateful to Anna wearing this look.

This round neck dress with long billowy sleeves is by Greek born designer Mary Katrantzou.

I love the print which is inspired by a perfume bottle and the refractive quality of glass.

I think this would be hard for many to pull off, but Anna does with relative ease.

When Pink and Sharika are picking same dress from Balmain’s Fall 2009 45 piece collection, Anna wore this strapless silver futuristic dress with a peplum at the waist.

Anna exudes ladylike sophistication in her Chloé bow-detailed asymmetric silk blouse, which she paired with an orange silk Rochas skirt, nude heels and a Louis Vuitton speedy.

Not many would be daring enough to wear such a fashion forward Dolce & Gabbana look during the day.

We wear jeans, Anna wears high fashion.

In this second Dolce & Gabbana Fall 2009 look, we finally get to see the back of this stunning lace/sheer dress, which Anna is daring enough to wear without any linings.

If Rihanna is looking for an edgy, yet sophisticated way to approach fashion, she should take some style tips from Anna Dello Russo.

Credit: Style.com, Trendycrew, Gastro Chic, Style.IT, The Sartorialist, Peter Stigter, cafemode.fr & Wireimage

Runway To Photo Shoot - Kate Hudson In Marchesa, Versace & Emilio Pucci

Runway To Photo Shoot – Kate Hudson In Marchesa, Versace & Emilio Pucci

Who Wore Gryphon Better? Ciara or Serena Williams

Who Wore Gryphon Better? Ciara or Serena Williams

32 Responses to Style Spotlight – Anna Dello Russo

1. Talita October 13, 2009 at 18:12 #

When I first read about her at Garance Dore’s website as was amazed by how chic and elegant she is. She looks amazing in all the looks. My favorites: Balenciaga (as you said the color is beyond gorgeous) and Chloe. The last Dolce and Gabbana look would be vulgar in anyone else but she manages to make it work.

• Fashion Critic October 13, 2009 at 18:39 #

totally agree with regards to the Dolce & Gabbana look

2. Powell October 13, 2009 at 18:19 #

Russo is an appropriate selection for a Star Spotlight and you chose excellent examples of her range of fashion. Russo wears the clothing and becomes part of the art rather than being mere hanger. Her wearing of the clothes, the way she holds her body, selecting the right fit; all tells the story of a woman engaged in her fashion passion (and with designer guardian angerls, rather than a beautiful person in a lovely dress. My favorite look presented here is . . . hard to chose. I love the soft heavenlyness of the colors and fabric of the Balenciaga and Katrantzo looks. Still, the DGs steal my heart.

3. Jules O'C October 13, 2009 at 18:20 #

Oooooooooooh!
    FC!
    I love you I love you I love you
    And ADR
    She’s like fashion month impersonated
    it’s amazing that all the bloggers and street-style-photographers stalked her
    These Tom Ford for YSL Cherry Heels (she wore the green ones with the Pucci dress in Milan) *lesigh* HEAVEN!
    Like Daphne Guinness’s closet Anna’s (a whole apartement) would be AM-A-ZING to have a look at (a certain blogger-couple had that privilege) not to speak of taking every single piece or just knocking a bat over her head, take all her stuff and run (most ppl don’t mind – talk about fashion police=)
    victimy yet stylish
    Love anna, and her 2 assistants
    could u id the shoes she wore w the Katrantzou dress please?
    thank u for covering this amazing collector & wonderful stylist
    I could go on for hours and name other looks (she sported Lanvin S08 like no other – and her D&G parade? seriously!) but as usual I try to put a stop to this
    so me over and out and completely excited =)
    wish to see more ppl embracing fashion like her
    and LSD and Giovanna Battaglia and all the fab Paris Voguettes *swooon* *reallystoppingnow*

• Fashion Critic October 13, 2009 at 18:41 #

She is so totally unique that I kinda love that she is the only one embracing fashion like this, because if everyone did it we would no longer appreciate it.

Thanks for your comment

Her two assistants are uber fabulous.

4. zoe October 13, 2009 at 18:25 #

thanks for this wonderful post. i’ve always heard about ann della russo, especially recently since she seems to be getting popular in the fashion blogosphere but i didn’t realize what a great fashion sense she has. i love carine roitfeld’s style, but dare i say it…i’m loving della russo’s style more.

• Fashion Critic October 13, 2009 at 18:42 #

thanks for such a positive reaction.

I wasn’t sure how people would take her style.

On a few forums they say that she is too old and other negative comments, but I think she rocks.

5. Jules O'C October 13, 2009 at 18:26 #

PLUS!
    she wears things twice or more often and she must take really good care of her shoes since shes been sporting these gold strappy wedges for at least 2 years
    And I find that very charming – all the money is put to ‘use’ and even she thinks that 4000€ for a MiuMiu dress is overpriced =)

6. mol October 13, 2009 at 18:35 #

Exactly – F.C. makes a perfect styling tip for Rihanna. Anna knows exactly how far to push an edgy look and she never drops over the edge into caricature! Although Anna has an enviable closet, she also knows how to use it!

7. Jarrold October 13, 2009 at 20:12 #

She was featured on Kanye West blog a couple of days ago too. I have admired her style for the past couple of season. She is fearless and wears pieces I would not with ease. This woman looks great an anything. Im surprised you didnt post her in the Red Dolce & Gabbana dress from Spring 2009, that was from favorite look from her.

• Fashion Critic October 13, 2009 at 20:15 #

I was only posting her recent looks and the one’s I really liked

The post would have been too long if I was featuring all her looks, she’s had so many great ones

• Jarrold October 14, 2009 at 07:28 #

Im sorry. Forgive me :)

8. Camilla October 13, 2009 at 20:25 #

Scrummy post!

9. Alfredo October 13, 2009 at 21:23 #

I surprisingly like her. I saw a shot of her on The Sartorialist book and at first thought, “Shouldn’t these clothes be on someone younger?” But then again, her presence is undeniable, she makes you look at HER all the time, making her the focus of the look, while the clothes do add to the pictures, they become forgetable and at the end of the day you remember her.

10. Bego October 13, 2009 at 22:09 #

I agree with you, my favourite look is the Balenciaga dress. When i saw the runway picture i fell in love with the colour combination

11. nisha October 13, 2009 at 22:14 #

love her style thank you so much fc for featuring her on your blog never heard of her before but she is reallly stunnning.hope to see more of her on this blog in future.

12. Grégory De Vos October 13, 2009 at 22:22 #

I don’t know why people are just discovering her now – I don’t have enough fingers to count how many Anna’s pictures I see on fashion blogs – because her style has been so good for long time… That”s a mystery…
    I like how she always picks flattering clothes, I’m sure she knows what fits her the most…
    She’s at the same time edgy, classy, fierce, smart, … I love her! She’s never trashy even if her choices are sometimes risky (the Dolce&Gabbana dress is a perfect representation of what I’m saying)…
    It’s also funny to think she ALWAYS buys everything she wears and don’t borrow them or else…:D

(Don’t worry about the “Website Section”, I don’t have a blog – as I said in a previous post – BUT I post my drawings and articles on my Facebook…)

13. doc October 13, 2009 at 22:35 #

Some of these looks work for her. Some of them don’t. The first three are great. The Chloe top is great. I think it is just being overwhelmed by that skirt. There is already one statement piece there with the shirt and that orange mess just screams for attention. Both the Dolce & Gabannas are terrible. There’s risky and there’s foolish and both of those fall in the latter category. Anyway, you win some, you lose some. It’s either take some risks or be like Amanda Bynes.

14. Vivian October 13, 2009 at 23:34 #

I think she is absolutely fantastic!! I love everything about her!!
    XO from Mexico

15. Emma October 13, 2009 at 23:42 #

I’m sorry to say that in the middle of all these positive comments, but her hair is a disaster.

16. Patty October 13, 2009 at 23:46 #

OMG!! even the sun gives better brightness when she walks! thanks for this post, she´s very unique!
    ♥ the balenciaga dress tooo **sighs)))

17. Lila H. October 14, 2009 at 01:06 #

She dresses WAY too young for her age and looks like a teen/20-year-old-wannabe.

• Alfredo October 14, 2009 at 21:05 #

Agreed. Does anyone know her age?

18. Hannah October 14, 2009 at 02:21 #

I agree that she makes some really difficult pieces work, and looks great in all of these, but she seems to have the exact same hairstyle in every one. I haven’t seen much of her still, so I’m hoping that she does change it up, but doesn’t look like it from these photos.

19. CC October 14, 2009 at 05:36 #

What a fabulous post!!! my favorite pic is of her in the balenciaga dress. love the light colored silk.

keep up the great work!

CC

• Fashion Critic October 14, 2009 at 08:10 #

thanks CC

20. LeeAnn October 14, 2009 at 11:28 #

Anna has no style. She wears fashion. This is because style is timeless whilst fashion changes constantly. Look back on those pictures in a year or two and you will think she looks ridiculous.

21. anna s. October 14, 2009 at 12:13 #

I also really like her assistants Aurora and – especially – Viviana!

22. stilettolover91 October 14, 2009 at 19:43 #

Fergie wore the same dress she’s wearing in the 1st pic before and looked way better then her!! Isn’t she like 60?

23. Taylor October 14, 2009 at 23:09 #

My new idol!! i love the balenciaga dress, though i liked it better on the runway. love the colors and the material of it. i also liked the perfume bottle dress and the balmain one.

24. CiCI October 15, 2009 at 04:03 #

wow!
    Thanks FC for this post! I love you && love this blog because of posts like this.
    Anna’s style is so cool, so different. She wears the high fashion pieces that no one else would think to wear. My favorite is the Chloe outfit, but mainly because the Rochas skirt. (My fav color is orange)

Keep up the good work!