08.10.09

YSL Spring 2010

My Paris Fashion Week adventure started at YSL.

I was invited to the YSL showroom to view the straight-off-the Spring 2010 runway collection.

The collection was laid out in 4 parts which represented the sweet country-style brand classic white blouses and peasant skirts to an urban utilitarian looks which included leather shorts which were slashed. A trend we’ve seen in other presentations.

One thing I could appreciate viewing the collection this way was Pilati expert tailoring.

There were many dresses which were above-the-knee, poufy and belted plus shirt-dresses were also included.

Pants were loose and high-waisted. Shorts were presented in both leather and toweling material plus pencil skirt were both khaki and leather.

Monsieur Laurent classic masculine looks with the feminine ambiguity were evident by the look Iris Strubegger wore including wide pants, a ruffle collared blouse and cropped tuxedo jacket.

I loved that the collection included coral pinks, cornflower blue and forest green, as Stefano Pilati usually favours a palette of black, white and grey.

When I viewed the Spring 2010 collection on Style.com I’ll admit I didn’t get the strawberry reference, so I asked what it represented.

The strawberries reference Yves Saint Laurent’s last Spring 2001 Haute Couture presentation in which Monsieur Laurent embroidered strawberries, pineapples and cherries to blouses.

Seeing the collection up close I also noticed that the black leather skirt also had strawberry appliqués.

Another benefit of seeing the collection up close is that you appreciate all the finer details.

Look 9 appears to be white dress trimmed with black leather ruffles, but they were actually 2 separate dresses.

Many of the YSL Fall 2009 bags had a “Y” sewn, so I loved that Look 39 had this same sewn in detail on the skirt.

The accessories were just as magnificent as the clothes.  Cuffs looked like tree bark and thorned vines.

The suede and leather sandals were studded, detailed with roses, trimmed with white leather and came in a variety of colours.

Kate Moss was one of the celebrities in the front row.

She arrived in a high end-high street mix of a YSL Fall 2009 dark grey coat/cape, paired with a sheer top, a black mini skirt and a studded belt from her Kate Moss for Topshop collection.

Katy Perry’s look was head-to-toe YSL as she paired the leather bustier with dark grey pants which she tucked into her boots.

Natalia Vodianova also arrived wearing a YSL leather-wool mix, pairing her look with a gorgeous pair of black crocodile YSL Imperiale pumps from the Fall 2009 collection.

Credit: INF Daily, Style.com & Wireimage

Beyonce Knowles In Vrettos Vrettakos Couture - Brit Awards 2014

Beyonce Knowles In Vrettos Vrettakos Couture – Brit Awards 2014

Louis Vuitton Spring 2010 Front Row & After Party

Louis Vuitton Spring 2010 Front Row & After Party

11 Responses to YSL Spring 2010

1. Cheryl October 8, 2009 at 13:03 #

Gorgeous! Lucky FC!! I’m so loving those Imperiale pumps and that quilted handbag….

J’etaime…

2. maji frm maldives October 8, 2009 at 13:33 #

it says YSL Spring 2001 couture.. i guess it’s YSL Spring 2010 couture..

• Fashion Critic October 8, 2009 at 13:44 #

The picture on the left is from the YSL Spring 2001 Couture collection, I was right in what I wrote, but thanks for your comment which felt the need to correct.

This is the picture I am referring to when talking about Monsieur Laurent.

This is why the text on that picture is so small.

The picture is also totally different in contrast.

Plus YSL no long presentation couture collections

• maji frm maldives October 8, 2009 at 17:58 #

well, now i realised.. i am sorry for misunderstanding.. :) u r the best!! i am very new at this fashion stuff and here in maldives i don’t think even 1% of the population knows what haute couture is..

• Fashion Critic October 8, 2009 at 18:02 #

not to worry. Just happy to get the chance to explain

3. mol October 8, 2009 at 15:19 #

I love the preciseness, fit and tailoring of Stefano Pilati’s clothes, and I too am happy to see him add more color to the mix. Still, color or not, his look is always about looking chic and sophisticated, no frills or random flounces, as Kate Moss and Natalia Vodianova so ably demonstrate (I’m loving Katy Perry too!).

4. Davor October 8, 2009 at 15:21 #

I think Victoria Beckham will buy these YSL Imperiale pumps in all colours! :) :) :)

5. Joana Oliveira October 8, 2009 at 23:23 #

I really like kate moss’s and natalia’s looks!! they look natural within the ysl clothes they “have” to wear!!! unlike katy perry’s that just looks way too forced!!!

6. Simon October 9, 2009 at 02:08 #

i saw a pic few days ago of beyonce wearing these YSL Imperiale pumps

7. ioana October 10, 2009 at 10:09 #

i really like katy perry’s look… she came a long way from when she was all too costumey

8. NYFashionista October 13, 2009 at 19:30 #

I love the high waisted leather skirt. I have one I have held on to for years! Time to dusk that bad boy off.