29.09.09

amfAR’s Inaugural Milan Fashion Week Event

When I met Donatella Versace on Friday after her Versace Spring 2010 presentation, she told me that she likes to modified pieces from the runway to suit her body, and that’s exactly what she did here.

A tropical print mini dress with coil details at the waist, becomes a figure-hugging black dress with coil details cinching in Donatella’s already tiny waist.

I adore both looks.  She really is amazing.

Janet Jackson’s Versace Fall 2009 gown wasn’t modified but hers was electric blue to the runway’s black.

The wrap around gown was also nipped in at the waist to give Miss Janet that perfect hourglass figure.

Giovanna Battaglia does a good job of wearing this Louis Vuitton Fall 2009 blue and pink dress with a lace overlay without making it look comical.  In fact she looks better than the runway.

She paired her mini dress with a pair of LV Fall 2009 lace up boots with a pink trim and a pink clutch from the same collection.

Dita Von Teese wore a Dolce & Gabbana Fall 2009 hot pink satin long sleeved ruched dress with black waist belt.

This dress is quite refreshing on Dita as her dress with the exaggerated shoulders isn’t too structured.

I doubt Poppy Delevigne knows who Chiling Lin is, but she OWNED this Salvatore Ferragamo gown when she wore it to the 2009 China Huabiao Film Awards last month.

Because of that fact this stunning gown just looks OK on Poppy as I know how amazing this gown really is on the right person. Plus Chiling wore it without the sheer detail on the neckline which is not doing much for Poppy.

Anja Rubik is one of my favourite models of the moment.

The super look gorgeous in a dazzling Gucci Fall 2009 embellished sparkling mini dress.

She paired her edgy dress with studded booties to complete her rock chic look.

Gwyneth Paltrow wore the runway grey version of this Salvatore Ferragamo Fall 2009 gown last year, but I much prefer Maria Sole Brivio Sforza’s bright coral version.

My only claim to fame is being the first to recognise that Angelina Jolie wore this Max Azria Spring 2009 dress back-to-front at the SAG Awards earlier this year.

WAG Kristina Liliana Matthaeus, wife of legendary footballer Lothar Matthaeus, wore the dress the right way at this event pairing her cornflower blue gown with a snake skin clutch.

I’m not quite sure when I pushed the snooze button on Rachel Bilson, but I even though she is wearing a beautiful Salvatore Ferragamo gown with a black clutch by the same designer I don’t feel wowed by any means.

This Bilson/Ferragamo collaboration just doesn’t feel natural.

I’m not crazy about the bodice on Chanel Iman’s black silk gown, but she looks very elegant and statuesque on the red carpet, but she should have got her guest to stand up stream from her so he could have looked a bit taller.

Her sparkling belt and diamanté wedges add bit of sparkle to her look.

Didn’t Linda Evangelista once say that she’d rather go naked than wear fur?

Credit: Style.com, London Features, & Wireimage

In Adrienne Bailon's Closet - BCBG Max Azria Strapless Blue Gown

In Adrienne Bailon’s Closet – BCBG Max Azria Strapless Blue Gown

57th San Sebastian Film Festival Closing Ceremony & "Mother and Child" Photocall

57th San Sebastian Film Festival Closing Ceremony & “Mother and Child” Photocall

24 Responses to amfAR’s Inaugural Milan Fashion Week Event

1. Kadeam September 29, 2009 at 15:42 #

oh dita :O
    i would of much prefered her dress if it didnt have those ridiculous arms
    im a fan of bold shoulders but thats just too much :/

2. mol September 29, 2009 at 16:39 #

I love Chanel Iman’s look – but then, i love her in almost anything, it’s her expressive face and the way she carries herself that always catches my eye.

3. Dorian Gray September 29, 2009 at 16:50 #

I LOVE Donatella’s new dresses and of course her personal version! I hope Janet will have a place in Best Dressed Poll! I understand why you haven’t put the pictures of Simona Ventura, she was not at her best (and should call Donatella as soon as possible!)

4. Will September 29, 2009 at 17:00 #

Is the dress that Chanel Iman is wearing part of the spring Dsquared collection?

5. Linda September 29, 2009 at 17:34 #

The only look that grabs me here is Anja Rubik, who looks awesome.

6. robbie September 29, 2009 at 17:42 #

donatella, wow gorgeous dress both on the runway and on her. those shoes are hottness!

janet, looks amazing that colour is great on her and the dress hugs her in all the right places.

dita, its a gorgeous dress but im so bored of her always wearing black shoes.

poppy, hell yeah i love this dress!

anja, rock chic at its best not tragically done by the likes of taylor momsen. taylor should take note on how to do rock chick chic.

maria, its so much nicer that the runway version she is glowing.

kristina, its nice but looked so much better on angelina.

rachel, yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

chanel, its very cute but looks a little old for her though and im not loving the huge hair.

linda, its alright but its obvious that most people who say they will never wear fur always end up wearing it. probably just say it so PETA dont attack them

7. Paulie September 29, 2009 at 17:47 #

Beautiful color on Liliana!

8. Ally September 29, 2009 at 18:04 #

To be fair, I think that might be human hair…not fur *shudders*.

Remember Chris Marsh from Project Runway? He made clothes that looked extremely similar and they were human hair.

• Fashion Critic September 30, 2009 at 00:13 #

it’s fox fur. She’s wearing Lanvin

9. Parvati September 29, 2009 at 18:24 #

I’m surprised that you mentioned Gwyneth Paltrow’s grey version of Maria Sole Brivio Sforza’s Salvatore Ferragamo gown (I loved the way Gwyneth wore it, by the way) and you didn’t mention Gigi Leung, who also wore the bright coral version of the gown at the 2009 Asian Film Awards. Gigi Leung was so beautiful in this gown, while Maria doesn’t impress me at all.

• Fashion Critic September 29, 2009 at 18:32 #

Why are you so surprised? The whole premises of this site is based on my memory

I didn’t mention Gigi because hardly anyone knowa who she is and I wanted to compare the colours

10. Alyazia September 29, 2009 at 19:01 #

Maria Sole Brivio looks amaaaazing, the color is so difficult to pull off.. luved it on her!!

regarding rachel bilson, i feel she’s trying to project the european elegant/natural look following the likes of Charlotte Caseraghi, Margarita Missoni .. etc i like how she looks here, more like a princess, a look that could be seen as boring for hollywood i guess ..

11. meggie September 29, 2009 at 19:13 #

i think this is one of rachel’s best looks – i know its not super exciting, but she looks classicly stunning. i love the red lip and her loose curls to – definately a hit for me!

• Lindsey September 29, 2009 at 21:19 #

i agree. im a huge rachel bilson fan because she always just seems so effortlessly beautiful. the red lips are a little out of what we’re used to seeing for her and i think it really works.

12. Chanel September 29, 2009 at 22:11 #

Ok, what in the world is going on with Donatella’s ankles?? They look swollen to me, like cankles, and I know she’s tiny, so I don’t really know what that’s about. Maybe the photo angle? And I like Rachel Bilson’s look here too, but I love clean, classic lines which is prob why I’m drawn to her dress.

13. Shami September 30, 2009 at 00:32 #

I noticed something metal on the front center of Giovanna’s Louis Vuitton dress. It almost looks like an oversized zipper…? I LOVE Anja’s whole look. and Chanel Iman is too beautiful, it’s just not fair!

14. Linda September 30, 2009 at 11:55 #

Giovanna Battaglia – Does anyone else think that Luis Vuitton dress is really ugly and unpleasant to look at?
    Kristina Liliana Matthaeus- I really don’t like this dress on the runway, and A. Jolie made it even worse the way she wore it. However, Kirstina’s modification to the bodice makes it look pretty okay.

15. Lee September 30, 2009 at 13:07 #

I think Rachel, Poppy and Chanel look GORGEOUS in their black gowns…

• Lee September 30, 2009 at 13:08 #

Oh, and not forgetting Janet Jackson – I rarely see her looking so good!

• Linda September 30, 2009 at 16:51 #

Yeah, I agree. It’s nice to see her out looking so nice lately.

16. lola September 30, 2009 at 14:27 #

Giovanna looks lovely I adore this Louis Vuitton dress, but I think that the boots are a little bit too much..and a big Wow @ Rachel Bilson what a qt.

17. Amanda September 30, 2009 at 14:48 #

I love Anja Rubik’s Gucci dress. It’s funny how clothes look so much better off the runway. I never would have looked twice at that dress b/c I thought that collection was quite hideous. But, she looks soooo good in it, it looks completely different on her. And I think all of those supermodels said they wouldn’t wear fur, but they all lie of course… apart from a few

18. Mischa September 30, 2009 at 22:05 #

Anja Rubik’s Gucci dress has been worn by Diane Kruger on the cover of UK Instyle Magazine’s September 2009 issue…

19. Ahot October 1, 2009 at 11:26 #

well, i definitely don´t want to see Linda naked so…. lol. It´s a shame when people just don´t respect what they said. I guess she did it just for publicity and even though i love fur, i think PETA should sue her.