28.09.09 Interview

My Interview With Donatella Versace

After the Versace Spring 2010 show I went backstage to speak to Donatella Versace.

She was very happy and excited about her presentation.

It was the same kind of excitement I would expect to see from someone presenting their first collection, so it was great to see that enthusiasm for what you are passionate for never dies.

I was dying to know what was her inspiration behind the collection and the reason why she always modifies her runway pieces when she wears then.

“My body is not a models body, I like to dress for my body.” Which I had always assumed.

Donatella told me that for her Spring 2010 collection she was inspired by Tim Burton’s upcoming film version of Alice in Wonderland.

“I loved the colours, the patterns. It’s how I see Alice in the Versace world, with the fairytale and the prince.”

“I used all the Versace elegance in a modern way, and tried to evoke emotion, because passion is love.”

Later on that evening I was invited to the Versace after show party which was held at the Versace residence.

It was there I saw Janet Jackson with Jermaine Dupri -yes I guess they are back together- and my other heroine Pat MCGrath who is such a sweet person.

Click here to see some pictures from the party.

Credit: Style.com

In Demi Moore's Closet - J.Mendel, Christian Dior and Christian Lacroix

In Demi Moore’s Closet – J.Mendel, Christian Dior and Christian Lacroix

Variety’s 1st Annual Power of Women Luncheon

Variety’s 1st Annual Power of Women Luncheon

52 Responses to My Interview With Donatella Versace

1. DolceLorenzo September 28, 2009 at 14:47 #

Oh. My. God. That is awesome. I’m so happy for you (and jealous, of course). :)

• Fashion Critic September 28, 2009 at 14:55 #

thanks. I was so nervous, but she is a sweet lady

2. Stuti September 28, 2009 at 15:02 #

Oh my God, wow! I am so jealous of you, for owning a Chanel and for meeting her, and for getting invited to Milan. :(
    And Donatella has a wow body, she looks so young.
    I also love your dress by the way. :)

• Fashion Critic September 28, 2009 at 15:03 #

thanks it’s Christopher Kane for Topshop

3. ber September 28, 2009 at 15:12 #

The past few weeks you’ve experienced have been more exciting than my entire life! Good for you!

• Fashion Critic September 28, 2009 at 15:18 #

It hasn’t quite hit me yet, but I’ve been very lucky with my experiences.

4. Alice[*] September 28, 2009 at 15:12 #

You are both lovely ^^

• Fashion Critic September 28, 2009 at 15:17 #

thanks sweetie

5. ZzaRaZza September 28, 2009 at 15:13 #

Wow, girl, you’re gorgeous and TALL :)

Glad you had an opportunity to talk to her

• Fashion Critic September 28, 2009 at 15:17 #

and I was hot. :)

She was lovely.

6. Kim September 28, 2009 at 15:14 #

You sure are tall! :-)

7. Hellwafashion September 28, 2009 at 15:20 #

Wow!that is so cool :-), congrats. The dress looks fab on you.

8. Ally September 28, 2009 at 15:21 #

Too fabulous for words. I’ve always liked Donatella because she loves what she does and doesn’t take herself too seriously some other designers can. I read somewhere that she even gave suggestions to SNL when they would do skits about her.

9. 00o00 September 28, 2009 at 15:22 #

amazing you get to meet her, she’s a legend!

10. martdip September 28, 2009 at 15:28 #

you are very very lucky!!donatella is my idol,my favourite desogner and ‘m so happy for you and of curse a little bit jelous!!but in the picture are you with donatella???

• Fashion Critic September 28, 2009 at 15:35 #

yes that’s me

• Lizzie September 28, 2009 at 15:41 #

Where was the after party held FC? Seen the pics and the setting looks gorgeous! Hope you had a great time!

• Fashion Critic September 28, 2009 at 16:03 #

it was held on the grounds of the Versace residence.

So I can say that I’ve been to Donatella Versace’s house.

Her Atelier were all the models and actress go for their fittings was just across the courtyard.

I hope to go back one day and visit it.

11. Kyutipye September 28, 2009 at 15:37 #

Wow look at you! You are a star yourself. Look who you rub shoulders with?! lol
    I’m happy for you. I hope you never stop blogging (for lack of a better word, cos now its bigger than blogging) no matter how BIG you get. Somehow I think you will move on : (

• Fashion Critic September 28, 2009 at 15:40 #

Never…this blog is very much my baby and I enjoy being independent writing what I want without deadlines or bosses to answer to.

• nyma September 29, 2009 at 00:29 #

I’m immensely happy for you and love your very humble and modest approach towards the glitzy life :) I do wish for you that you go to bigger places in life But take alll of us along for the ride ;)

12. Lily September 28, 2009 at 15:41 #

WOW I love what you’re wearing!!! You’re so pretty!

And Donatella looks good.

How do you get to go to fashion week lucky girl.

• Fashion Critic September 28, 2009 at 16:03 #

just lucky I guess :)

13. Vera September 28, 2009 at 15:45 #

Oh, Karen, so your Topshop by Christopher Kane was SPECIAL? You wore it with the idea of Christopher to see you in it?

Bad girl)

• Fashion Critic September 28, 2009 at 16:01 #

Kane was at the show and after party, but I didn’t get to meet him unfortunately.

• Vera September 28, 2009 at 16:09 #

I know he was, but I wonder if you expected to see him)

14. Alice September 28, 2009 at 16:04 #

WOW….You´re TALL! You could model…

• Fashion Critic September 28, 2009 at 16:09 #

I was many many many many years ago :)

15. Jules O'C September 28, 2009 at 16:05 #

OK I’m running out of good things to say.
    but another Dayum is in order =)
    Yes, we Kane! ;)
    How much time did u get with her? More than 3 minutes?
    Was is crowded and noisy or is everybody civilized and calm & organized?
    Uh, I’d love to know more about the atmosphere and how people treat u & how other women treat each other and if u felt comfortable (which I hope)
    the party location & decoration look wonderful!
    too many questions sorry ;)

• Fashion Critic September 28, 2009 at 16:09 #

I got about 3 mins. It was very crowded lots of friends, well wishers, photographers, staff packing the clothes and shoes away.

I was quite noisy, but I could hear her over the noise.

It was very calm. Like I said when I went backstage at Brian Reyes for the first time, I was surprised at the calmness of the environment.

Everyone was treated with respect despite people not knowing who I was.

the grounds of her residence was amazing.

Really beautiful with lots of food and drink to keep everyone happy.

• Jules O'C September 29, 2009 at 08:35 #

amazing! thanks for your detailled answer
        looking forward to all the shows ull attend in the future ;)

16. Lala/S-R September 28, 2009 at 17:28 #

Oh, man. You lucky, lucky girl!!! That must have been so amazing! You’re living my dream. If you meet Karl Lagerfeld (aka DAD!!) I’ll die!! LOL. Congrats, FC!
    By the way, you tower over her that much!!!????! How tall are you?
    P.S You’re headed for the top, FC!! Woohoooo. The next big Fashion journalist.

• Fashion Critic September 28, 2009 at 17:45 #

I’m 5ft 11ins, taller in heels and I was wearing platform heels

17. Alicia September 28, 2009 at 17:40 #

AMAZING! Congratulations! That must have been such a scene at Donatella’s…

• Fashion Critic September 28, 2009 at 17:44 #

she’s ace

18. Bego September 28, 2009 at 20:19 #

your dress is sooooo cool FC! and the bag amazing(L)

you’re such a lucky girl, i mean, do you have any boring day in your life?!?
    all the pics look great!

• Fashion Critic September 28, 2009 at 20:30 #

I very normal just like everyone else.

I was just fortunate enough to have these experience during fashion week

19. Dorian Gray September 28, 2009 at 20:48 #

I think you deserve all the best because you are a GREAT blogger (and a very beautiful girl) I appreciate every word of this blog and i wanna say THANK U for all the space you give to Versace’s world. You know, I love Donatella and your blog brings always cool news! Thanks
    ps. I met Donatella at VFNO in MIlan, youre right, she’s Big but even so gentle and calm.

• Fashion Critic September 28, 2009 at 20:53 #

Thank you for your kind words.

I’m really fulfilling so many personal goals with my blog and I’m happy to share them with you.

20. Igor September 28, 2009 at 21:05 #

You lucky girl! To go to a Versace show and meet Donnatella would be a dream come true to me. And you did it!
    You both look fabulous in that pic! :)

• Fashion Critic September 28, 2009 at 21:15 #

thanks. I was really hot in that room :) but thanks any way

21. Parvati September 29, 2009 at 02:35 #

Wow, this is amazing!!! The Versace show must be one of the biggest shows in Milan Fashion Week, so you’re so lucky to have been there! And meet Donatella!!! (And your dress is beautiful! :D )
    By the way, will you be attending the Paris Fashion Week, too?

22. zuleyka chia September 29, 2009 at 07:27 #

i’m as tall as you!!!!!wow…u look gorgeous~~

23. mol September 29, 2009 at 07:37 #

I’ve been away – just catching up….congratulations, you are really a very generous person, and besides your style, i also really really like your attitude, to be not pretentious and so down to earth and honest is so good – most people, important or not, like that – i think you’ll go far here…..just don’t stop blogging!!!

• Fashion Critic September 29, 2009 at 09:23 #

I won’t :)

Thanks

• Rimini September 29, 2009 at 11:18 #

Dayum Gurl ur TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL!!!

Congratulations ur living ur dream! Next Stop Karl Lagerfield!!! BTW is the Kane dress true to size? Been wanting to order one online.. u look Gawjus in it.

• Fashion Critic September 29, 2009 at 11:34 #

Ha…I wish I could get an audience with Uncle Karl.

I’m a size 10, but I got a size 8 in the dress as I wanted a tight fit.

I tried on the whole collection and I would say it runs true to size.

24. T September 29, 2009 at 13:08 #

Stunning photos. Lucky you :) The decor at the party looked stunning, really classy.

Seems like she didn’t modify this top from the runway! Although wore it without a belt.

You look gorgeous! Love that you wear heels and add to your height.

• Fashion Critic September 29, 2009 at 13:30 #

I live in heels. All my friend hate me for being so tall :)

25. Rolie September 29, 2009 at 23:01 #

I think she wore that shirt in Vogue or instyle..i forget! but it was a September issue. She looked hot in her picture, what a great body (wooo!)

26. LeeVC September 30, 2009 at 09:09 #

Congratulations, ive been following your site for months, and i’m very happy for you dear. Those are some exciting moments you ‘re experiencing!

• Fashion Critic September 30, 2009 at 09:43 #

thanks so much. This and meeting Becki Newton are the best things to happen to me and my blog.