22.09.09 Interview

My Interview With Antonio Berardi

After the Antonio Berardi Spring 2010 presentation I went backstage to meet the designer.

He seemed very relaxed sipping on his Peroni beer as he was interviewed by several people before me.

In between interviews many people would give him a congratulatory hugs and kisses.

There were many kids backstage, who I guessed were family. These wide-eyed kids were totally in awe of Berardi, it was very touching to see.

Maybe he has inspired them to be designers of the future.

It’s obvious the type of woman Berardi designs for, but I wanted to hear him describe ‘her’ in his own words.

“She’s sexy and sensual and she’s feminine and at the same time she wears the pants.”

“I come from a Sicilian background and the women are ultra feminine, but at the same time they are strong. I like strong women, I like women who are in control. I like women with power and sense of humour and a sense of themselves.”

For this collection Berardi started off looking at underwear, and under dressing. He had an idea that if it was nude, it would be three dimensional as he wanted the pieces to feel exquisite, but at the same time he wanted the collection to still feel powerful.

As a result the tailoring is much stronger.

With regards to showing in London next season Berardi is unsure, as his return to London was very much a last minute decision and only possible with the help of Peroni.

Berardi gave thanks to the British Fashion Council for inviting him to show in London, the British press and celebrities wearing his clothes who he said, “let the world know I exist.”

With regards to Megan Fox wearing two of his pieces back to back he said, “I love her because she is the new Angelina. She’s hot, she’s strong and she’s sexy and I like that.”

Credit: Style.com & Wireimage

Runway To Heathrow Airport - Victoria Beckham In Balmain & Dsquared²

Runway To Heathrow Airport – Victoria Beckham In Balmain & Dsquared²

Todd Lynn Spring 2010

Todd Lynn Spring 2010

13 Responses to My Interview With Antonio Berardi

1. tori September 22, 2009 at 21:24 #

awww antonio’s collection was beautiful and very romantic. you are so lucky to get to interview all these great designers. i do disagree with him that megan fox is the new angelina…she’s got a long way to go before i would ever put them in the same sentence.

2. robbie September 22, 2009 at 21:26 #

great itnerview he seems like a great person. but seriously “the new angelina” hell no, she is no where near the amazingness that is angelina, although i wonder if megan will reply saying “stop comparing me to angelina, we have nothing in common” as she usually does haha.

• Fashion Critic September 22, 2009 at 21:28 #

he was a really nice guy.

• robbie September 22, 2009 at 21:33 #

you are really lucky getting to meet all these designers.

• Fashion Critic September 22, 2009 at 22:17 #

I have been lucky, but working hard to make these things happen.

• marvel September 22, 2009 at 22:04 #

the ‘amazingness’ of Angelina? I think everyone forgets that she stole Brad from Jen

• Fashion Critic September 22, 2009 at 22:17 #

I don’t buy that.

For him to have fallen for Angelina things couldn’t have been great with Jen in the first place.

• Stuti September 23, 2009 at 10:35 #

Seconded. Why does everyone blame Angelina? Its not as if she drugged Brad and consequently kept him padlocked.

3. Rock*Star September 23, 2009 at 00:07 #

I hate to sound gossipy! But, the only similar thing between Angelina & megan is their looks. Other than that. I can’t see any other similarities!

It’s a shame most ppl believe that megan is the next Angelina. Angelina is Angelina & Megan is Megan. I just believe they are very different from eachother. Ya know!

4. Mad Jane September 23, 2009 at 00:11 #

marvel,

this story is waaay old. And Brad & Jen have confirmed many times that their break up has nothing to do with Angelina. And yes, Angelina is AMAZING!

5. mol September 23, 2009 at 01:00 #

You are definitely working hard, making your own good luck! I hope you take a break soon so I can get some work done!!! ( i’ve been too addicted to this site since getting home from hols) The Angelina/Megan connection makes it easy for everyone I guess; but in any case, i think Megan is a great fit with this designer

• Fashion Critic September 23, 2009 at 08:12 #

thanks for noticing. I’m having a lot of fun though.

6. Flutterbang September 23, 2009 at 03:11 #

I don’t think Angelina and Megan are remotely alike – Angelina has a brain, for one.

And I don’t think you can ever blame a woman for stealing a man away – Brad didn’t have to run off with her, but he did; there’s nobody to blame but Brad.

More on topic, though…I love Berardi’s description of his perfect woman, I think a lot of modern-day women aspire to be just that.