21.09.09 Worst Dressed

2009 Emmy Awards – Worst Dressed

Worst Dressed Award
The second I saw Elizabeth Moss I wondered why she would wear an asymmetrical gown with that stunning necklace.

But it appears that the jeweled neckline is built into her Grecian inspired Reem Acra taupe gown.

Between the creases and the draping I just couldn’t love this gown.

Tried To Love It, But Couldn’t Award
I loved this Bottega Veneta Fall 2009 gown on the runway, but I don’t think it works on Leighton Meester at all.

She’s normally edgy on the red carpet, and I agree this is not the place to go edgy but I was just bored by her look, and she looked really bored on the red carpet too.

The only thing I like here is her Bottega Veneta clutch, as her hair and make-up is pretty awful too.

Most Disappointing Award
Kyra Sedgwick is always stunning on the red carpet, but I found it very difficult to love this L’Wren Scott Spring 2010 pink dress.

Kyra and L’Wren Scott often work very well together, but I really didn’t like the pink, nor the embellishments.

It felt too cutesy for a grown woman.

Should’ve Worn A Gown Award
Nothing appealed to me with regards to Mary Louise Parker dress.

Firstly I would’ve preferred her in a gown. Secondly I don’t like the bow on the hip and lastly the two-tone purple is hideous.

Worst Dressed Runner-Up Award
Padma Lakshmi was so close to being voted worst dressed. I just hated that red floral detail on the hip.

It was so unnecessary. Despite that it was a pretty boring Badgley Mischka gown anyway.

Least Flattering Award
I would be surprised if Sarah Silverman ever makes it onto the Best Dressed list, but this gown had great potential.

It’s a great colour on her, but the gown adds at least 15ins to each side of her hips.

How is this a good thing?

Pukey Pink Award
What’s with all the pukey pink gowns on the red carpet.

I know it’s a fresh summer time colour, but I really didn’t think it looked good on Toni Collette.

She is usually one to watch on the red carpet, but the look fails to impress me.

CLICK HERE to see all the looks from the 2009 Emmy Awards.

Credit: Style.com & Wireimage

Runway To E!'s Live From The Red Carpet - Giuliana Rancic In Gustavo Cadile

Runway To E!’s Live From The Red Carpet – Giuliana Rancic In Gustavo Cadile

2009 Emmy Awards - Best Dressed

2009 Emmy Awards – Best Dressed

46 Responses to 2009 Emmy Awards – Worst Dressed

1. justme September 21, 2009 at 03:48 #

LOL Leighton was one of the best dressed imo. Minus the hair who is a little too messy, I love the look. Ok then…
    *sits down*
    *shuts up*

2. nicole September 21, 2009 at 03:49 #

agree about elizabeth! all wrong
    Leighton Meester !! whyyy i was so disappointed cause this is her time to shine! but the shoulder pads were awkward and the makeup didn’t help one bit!
    padma is such a stunning woman but cant get it right on the red carpet! different fabric minus the flowers growing out of her stomach would have saved this.
    sarah silverman looks like she could join kourtney kardashian and heidi klum in the pregnant club because this dress makes her look pregnant and not in a good way
    im still on the fence about Toni

3. JacobGH September 21, 2009 at 04:00 #

Ugh Padma you are so beautiful what were you thinking?! I actually don’t think Leighton’s dress wasn’t so bad, but her hair and makeup really let her down. MLP looked sexy, I don’t really mind that she decided against a gown. Kyra is MESS. Sometimes I question whether these people own mirrors.

–JGH

4. Kathryn September 21, 2009 at 04:00 #

I agree something about Elisabeth Moss’s dress is totally off. I think it’s the color and it doesn’t look like she’s wearing a bra.

I like Leighton Meester’s dress but not on her. She’s not tall enough and the dress isn’t exciting enough for her, Bad match!!

5. Kathryn September 21, 2009 at 04:06 #

P.S. I think Christina Applegate, Hayden Pantierre and Ginnifer Goodwin also belong on this list. A collective yuck!!

6. WendyB September 21, 2009 at 04:07 #

Please promise me that if I am ever on a red carpet you will leave me off this kind of list! I will happily pay a bribe…

• Fashion Critic September 21, 2009 at 05:37 #

LOL. You are always fabulous.

7. Kelly September 21, 2009 at 04:11 #

I agree with all of these except Leighton. I think she looks absolutely stunning — perfect for her figure and complexion.

Also, normally Padma has impeccably classy style choices but what was she thinking?? Worst dressed by far.

8. Mackentiff September 21, 2009 at 04:12 #

I think Kyra Sedgwick’s dress is by far the worst. Yikes!
    I kind of like Leighton’s look.

9. Kristie September 21, 2009 at 04:13 #

To each their own I guess, but I think Toni Collette looks great! (Although I am an Aussie, so I could be biased!) Definitely better than all the other gowns you’ve featured so far in this post. Another thing to be thankful for is that it’s not a crocheted dress like Cate Blanchett’s the other day!!

I agree with all of your other comments on the other dresses, though – I especially don’t understand how Leighton goes overboard with the makeup! Maybe she is trying to distance herself from her character?

10. Christy September 21, 2009 at 04:18 #

Wow … i mostly agree with you here except for in relation to Toni Collette – IMO she looks absolutely gorgeous, and her dress is more of a watermelon than “pukey pink”.

11. Rosie September 21, 2009 at 04:30 #

Gosh, I would of thought that Leighton would go all out here.
    But she’s more Blair Waldorf or even Blake Lively of 2009 then her usual self.
    Speaking of Blake Lively, I can’t wait to see your best dressed list, as she looked fantastic.

12. Jennifer September 21, 2009 at 04:32 #

I’m going to guess you decided to pretend that Phoebe Price didn’t exist on the red carpet (and I don’t blame you).

I agree with you about Leighton, she does look bored.

Elizabeth Moss’s dress is very wrinkly. And Sarah Silverman… I have no idea what she was thinking, unless it was, “Oh these hips don’t lie” for the wrong reasons…

13. Paulo September 21, 2009 at 04:41 #

Leighton does NOT deserve to be on this list!!!

Hayden Panettiere should be on the worst dressed list. Her dress made her look even shorter than she really is. Plus she looked like she’s in the same age range as Sharon Stone!!!

And Blake Lively’s braided ponytail is a mess.

14. Alicia Dennis September 21, 2009 at 04:42 #

Agreed about Leighton’s hair/makeup/everything. No no no no no. Also, it was so nice to meet you – I hope everything is going well during LFW!

• Fashion Critic September 21, 2009 at 05:35 #

It was great to meet you too.

15. Renne September 21, 2009 at 04:45 #

WTF! Seriously WTF!
    I think Leighton was one of the best looks of the night, of course it wasn’t as edgy as you’ll expect from her, but it was so feminine, subtle and elegant.
    She looked like a Grecian goddess.

16. Nicole September 21, 2009 at 04:45 #

I love Leighton Meester- always!!! I think the dress is STUNNING- what i dont like are her cuffs. totally throws off the outfit

17. doc September 21, 2009 at 04:56 #

i disagree with Elisabeth Moss, Toni Collette and Leighton Meester on the worst dressed list. Toni looks great. Fit is good and it looks good with her slight hint of a tan. I think Elisabeth’s Moss’s dress could have been pressed out, but that’s what happens when you wear satin. Her hair ages her a bit, but I think the jewel neckline is nice addition to the dress. Leighton looks good. That lipstick is a little too dark, but I think he dress is very flattering.

I do agree with Sarah Silverman. She seems like she does not really try though. Her hair is unkempt and that dress looks like a costume from the Disney theme park, nice on Cinderella and no one else. Honestly I don’t think she tries because there is something out there that flatters everyone from a size 0 to plus 30 and she manages to always find something ugly.

18. sydneycheapchic September 21, 2009 at 06:38 #

I don’t think Toni belongs in this list. I think she looks healthy and beautiful.. besides the makeup I thought leightons dress was beautiful.

19. Danielle September 21, 2009 at 07:45 #

I agree on most, though I think Leighton and Toni belong on the other list, and Kristin Chenoweth on this one.

Cate Blanchett disappoints me :(
    Olivia Wilde is my fav!

• sydneycheapchic September 21, 2009 at 11:59 #

Cate ??

I’m loving Olivia too.

• Danielle September 21, 2009 at 12:49 #

Sorry. I mistook Anna Torv for Cate. Pfew!

20. Maddy September 21, 2009 at 10:37 #

Leighton on worst dress is just wrong! The make-up isn’t great, but apart from that she looks absolutely fabolous!

21. sarahl September 21, 2009 at 11:33 #

To me Victoria Rowell was by far the worst dressed !!

22. clana September 21, 2009 at 11:55 #

I absolutely adore Leighton’s look! The dress is exquisite and, in Hollywood terms, a brave choice because I’m sure the shoulder details will be frowned upon. I also like her make-up, it accentuates her facial features more than the no make-up look.

23. Vance September 21, 2009 at 11:58 #

Padma outfugs Elisabeth, who looks OK, but very boring. The dress needs an iron.

24. Nikki September 21, 2009 at 12:58 #

I agree about Elizabeth Moss…her dress doesn’t do anything for her.

I disagree about Leighton Meester. I like the dress and her hair with the outfit. I’m no expert but I think if she hadn’t worn bold makeup, her dress would’ve washed her out. White isn’t exactly an easy color to wear.

Mary Louis Parket SHOULD have worn a gown…especially that she was nominated.

Disappointed in Padma Lakshmi’s look.

I like the color of Sarah Silverman’s dress, but it’s the wrong cut, and wrong..just about everything else. Even her hair and makeup.It was like she didn’t even make an effort.

Toni Colette looked good! You might not like the color but it looks good on her. I like the origami part on top and the tiers at the bottom.

25. Alyazia September 21, 2009 at 13:18 #

when looking at closeups of leighton, i think she looks stunning, if only those knots were a bit smaller i think she would’ve been one of the best on the night ..

26. Ally September 21, 2009 at 13:34 #

I would agree with you about Toni if I hadn’t seen her on TV. I think the pink is just too harsh against the red carpet (something I’m suprised more stylists don’t think about). She glowed on stage.

I don’t mind Leighton’s dress, but she is wearing way too much makeup. She should have given some of it to Anna Torv who looked asleep b/c she was wearing almost no makeup.

27. Leti September 21, 2009 at 13:41 #

I’m think I’m most disappointed by Kyra–until I saw this mess, I’d have said she could do no wrong. I think Toni looks beautiful, and I’m not sure Leighton warranted worst dressed in my book. Blake Lively on the other hand–now that dress is little better than her fashion institute disaster. Too much!

28. Alice[*] September 21, 2009 at 13:48 #

Leighton deserves the worst dressed list in my opinion.Perhaps she could learn how to match hair and make-up to a perfect dress.

29. mol September 21, 2009 at 13:48 #

Personally, I don’t think Leighton belongs on this list. Toni Colette looks good too, not the best ever, but she’s such a lovely person and her dress is fine.

30. amelia September 21, 2009 at 14:02 #

leighton looks really beautiful in her gown, my issues were only the hair and make-up, they don’t really compliment such a soft dress.

31. ber September 21, 2009 at 14:11 #

Padma needs to either get a stylist or fire the one she currently has. She’s absolutely gorgeous, but always looks bad on the red carpet.

32. tai'tiaan September 21, 2009 at 15:57 #

I disagree with leighton meister being on the best dressed list. I reallly like that white gown on her. Number one it taps into the greecian godesss trend of this fall(so reacurring) and the pops of red on her lips and clutch was a niced touch. I love her style and it was beautiful on her so who wants to bump her up to the best dressed?

33. tai'tiana September 21, 2009 at 15:59 #

I loved Heidi klum in that marchesa gown, she was very preggers and wasnt afraid to show it off in that gown.

34. whitestroke September 21, 2009 at 16:43 #

Actually, Leighton is on my Best Dressed list. I think she looks exquisite, minus the makeup, of course. I don’t know if this will make sense, but the gown she picked is like THE edgiest you could go to such event. I really find it quite interesting and fashion-forward.

I agree about everyone else, though.
    I hate that all the time I have online these days I spend checking out shows on Style.com and just briefly going through your blog without commenting. The VMAs were hilarious and ridiculous at their best.

• Linda September 22, 2009 at 01:40 #

That’s hilarious! I too have been spending most of my online time checking out shows on Style.com and then going through your blog! ( I do comment though) :)

• Linda September 22, 2009 at 01:41 #

Oh, and Whitestroke, I agree with your comments re: Leighton Meester.

35. Tess September 21, 2009 at 17:29 #

I think Leighton Meester doesn’t belong on the WD list. She looks beautiful, and I love the red lips. I think she was the best dressed of the evening. I love EVERYTHING she wears.
    Love your site.

36. Joana September 21, 2009 at 17:34 #

Loved Leighton Meester’s look but since You LOVED Blake’s look, I’m sorry to say that I’m Glad that they aren’t in the same category cause when I saw Blake I saw «high class pros*i*u*e!!!!»!!

37. Kim September 21, 2009 at 18:05 #

OK the prob for me with Elizabeth is that her dress was wrinkled and her hair and makeup were just there. If she had ironed that dress and completed her hair and make up she wouldn’t have been best dressed but not worst either.

Leighton- I liked the dress but H & M (hair & makeup) was awful!

Kyra looked like Pretty in Pink gone horribly bad!

Padma -would have actually looked cute if not for the red roses growing from her belly. W/O that I think the dress was “simple” yet very cute. I really liked her hair and make up so what a waste that the flowers were there!

Sara – NO comment. Too ugg!

Toni – I actually like despite the fact that I may be the only girl that hates hot pink and a lot of ruffles!

38. Linda September 22, 2009 at 01:35 #

Funny thing about January Jones – yes, she takes fashion risks, which is very good and important, but her character on Mad Men always has such beautiful hair and makeup and I’m always disappointed to see the way she styles her hair and makeup in real life. Maybe she should hire the hair and makeup person from the show to work on her for events.

39. Hilary September 22, 2009 at 19:52 #

Leighton’s dress is beautiful and romantic IMO but she really needed soft pinky lipstick..it would have made a world of difference. And maybe some kind of Grecian braids incorporated into an updo.

40. Jenna September 22, 2009 at 23:40 #

I know Elizabeth Moss’s dress was awful… and the creases…

But PLEASE look up Patricia Arquette. There’s just NO WAY she isn’t the worst dressed. No way.