21.09.09

2009 Emmy Awards – Best Dressed

Best Dressed Award
January Jones is never boring on the red carpet.

She always wows me and last night was no exception.

The ‘Mad Men’ actress wore a futuristic Versace mint green gown, with flowing skirt and a structured corset.

She gave me one of very few wow moments on the red carpet.

Best Dressed Runner Up/Best Marchesa Award
Olivia Wilde was one of the first actresses to hit the red carpet last night and was my Best Dressed for the whole of E! Live from the Red Carpet show until I saw January.

Her mint green chiffon embroidered Marchesa Spring 2010 gown with an illusion panel on the bodice is simply exquisite.

She wears the gown so well, so elegantly as we would expected from the beautiful actress.

Best Bling/Golden Girl Award
I do like a bit of bling on the red carpet and it was kindly provided by Kristin Chenoweth who sparkled wearing a crystal encrusted Zuhair Murad’s Haute Couture Spring 2009 mini dress, with gunmetal grey heels and a matching clutch.

I’m so glad she wore the dress without the runway belt.

Best Versace/Lady In Red Award
WOW.

Blake Lively is truly back.

After a disappointing 2008, she has continued to wow me in 2009.

Some of you like that Atlanta Housewife on E! will think this is too sexy. I say it’s sexy enough, and she has the body for it so why not wear a stunning red Versace Fall 2009 gown like this.

Best Maternity Award
I’m so glad Heidi Klum didn’t wear a tent like at the Costume Institute Gala.

Being pregnant is not a crime so why should she cover up?

I think she looks stunning in her Marchesa custom-made gown, which bares a slight resemblance to the Resort 2010 gown presented as they both have beaded a beaded bodice.

Her lace train is what I really love about this dress.

Gowns, Maternity, Bridal and accessories. Is there nothing that Georgina Chapman can’t do?

It Took Me A While, But I Love It Award
At first I was really unsure about Kate Walsh’s J. Mendel Spring 2010 crystal blue pleated strapless gown, as I thought it was unflattering.

But the more I looked at it, the more I appreciated the soft draping, and how beautiful the colour looked on her.

The actress paired her dress with and Aldo clutch.

Most Improved Award
Dana Delany is usually a hot mess on the red carpet, but she opted for a stunning purple Basil Soda Fall 2009 Couture strapless gown.

Excluding the embroidered bodice it’s quite a simple gown.

Slinkiest Silhouette Award
I love a mermaid gown that gives the wearer a Jessica Rabbit style silhouette.

Jennifer Carpenter’s Zuhair Murad Fall 2009 one shoulder nude tulle gown does that.

The gown has intricate black beading thought-out with a dramatic rosette detail on the bodice.

Better Than The Runway Award
I was really intrigued by Mila Kunis Monique Lhuillier Fall 2009 maroon tulle gown because of the way she had made it work for her on the red carpet.

I really dislike the runway styling, so I’m glad Mila has made me see this dress in a more positive light.

She accessorized with Fred Leighton jewels.

Interesting Change Of Direction Award
For the first time in a while I actually love Chloe Sevigny’s look.

I’m not one who get carried away with her “style icon” tag, I just judge her look by look and this Isaac Mizrahi Resort 2010 one-shoulder polka dot gown I love.

I also love the fact that it’s not an obvious choice.

50 And Fabulous Award
I have a soft spot for Marcia Gay Harden, she reminds me a lot o Helen Mirren in that she’s not afraid to show off her cleavage, like she does in this sequined Badgley Mischka Pre-Fall 2009 gown.

I love how the sash gives her a tiny waist, to give her an perfect hourglass figure.

Best Couture Award
This bold blue Basil Soda Fall 2008 gown may have a lot going on for you, but it all works for me.

I got texture, embellishments and it beautiful. All the ingredients need for a stunning couture gown.

Thank God She Pulled Her Hair Back Award
I was so happy that Drew Barrymore wore her hair tied back, because that black stripe she had in her hair last week would’ve been disastrous with this beautiful Monique Lhuillier blush gown.

Best Use Of Tulle Award
Rose Byrne was literally picking her gown up as she walked along the red carpet, as there was so much of it.

I loved this Valentino gown.

It was the perfect colour for her, despite it’s size she didn’t get lost in it, and the embellishment were beautiful.

Curvalicious Award
How can you not love Christina Hendricks? She is just too fabulous for words in her L’Wren Scott navy and black lace gown.

I would’ve adored her in a colourful gown, but she looks this hot it doesn’t matter.

Matchy Matchy Award
Ginnifer Goodwin wore a fuschia pink YSL strapless dress.

The dress matched her Brian Atwood heels and her clutch.

The stunning necklace is what pulls this whole look together and I absolutely adore it.

Best Necklace Award
Mariska Hargitay opted for a Carolina Herrera silver shimmering gown, which fitted her like a glove.

CLICK HERE to see all the looks from the 2009 Emmy Awards.

Best Embellished Gown Award
Perrey Reeves wore an ivory Naeem Khan chiffon empire waist short sleeve V-front gown with crystal beading.

More looks to follow.

Credit: Style.com & Wireimage

2009 Emmy Awards - Worst Dressed

2009 Emmy Awards – Worst Dressed

2009 Emmy Awards - Black Beauties

2009 Emmy Awards – Black Beauties

37 Responses to 2009 Emmy Awards – Best Dressed

1. Miriam Marquez September 21, 2009 at 05:30 #

The Valentino dress on Rose Byrne is the same one Victoria Beckham wore for her recent editorial in Elle magazine.

2. bluebell September 21, 2009 at 06:36 #

I agree with nearly all of these, I’d have switched out Kristin cheno for Jeanne Tripplehorn or Sandra Oh, though. There were a lot more sparkly dresses than I expected.

3. Mariana September 21, 2009 at 06:36 #

Did you see the back of Olivia Wilde dress?
    When I saw the front I recognized it from last week show and was really happy to see it on the red carpet. I felt in love!!! I thought it was revealing but tasteful.
    But when she turned… Figure skating written all over it…

• Maddy September 21, 2009 at 09:44 #

I have to agree with you. The back of her dress is not doing the front of oi justice. But it’s still a great look nonetheles.
      But only for the back I would have given Jennifer Carpenter the runner-up award. Her dress is simply amazing!!
      I love Blake and her “fashion recovery”, but I wish she wouldn’t show off all that much, all the time. The slit on her dress show’s so much leg and the V-neck bares so much of her cleavage. She has the body to pull it off, but if she opted for for just one thing, I’d be so much more impressed!

4. Davor September 21, 2009 at 07:46 #

Twitter info from Ivanka Trump: “Ginnifer Goodwin in Ivanka Trump Jewels at the Emmy Awards! She’s wearing my rose gold and rock crystal necklace and ring! Looks fab!”

5. Bee September 21, 2009 at 07:47 #

I didn’t even see Olivia Wilde til I saw her on this list. Stunning.

January Jones however stole the night by a long shot. Definitely deserves the best dressed title of the night. Love her, && looove that Versace gown.

6. justme September 21, 2009 at 07:54 #

Olivia was another one of my best dressed so I’m glad she made this list. She just looked ridiculously gorgeous.

Heidi, Heidi, Heidi: she makes pregnancy look so fabulous.

I do agree that Blake’s dress is too sexy… because of her great body. She has big boobs and with a piunging neckline like that, it’s easy to fall into tacky territory. But it didn’t really bother me. It’s that damn braid of hers that was… just LOL.

7. mila September 21, 2009 at 09:33 #

All I can say is that they all look stunning!

8. claire September 21, 2009 at 10:14 #

have you seen perry reeves’s dress? it was a beautiful pink beaded dress. i was hoping i’d find out which designer it was on your blog
    love your choices for best dressed though, january looks perfect!

9. Jennifer September 21, 2009 at 10:31 #

My jaw dropped when I saw Mila. I love, love, love her dress. It’s a perfect blend of dark and gothic, with romantic and the perfect color on her.
    I love Mariska, I think she’s one of the most consistent on the red carpet.
    And Drew was much better without all that heavy makeup she’s been wearing lately, a nice 180 for me.

Can you find out what dress Shohreh Aghdashloo wore? It was a beautiful purple, and I am curious.

Ok, I’m done with my two cents now :)

10. Vance September 21, 2009 at 11:55 #

Usually the Emmys bore me (everyone wears Marchesa, J. Mendel, Basil Soda, Reem Acra etc…), but even the people wearing Marchesa interested me.

Best dressed:
    January Jones – bar none!
    Olivia Wilde – She usually bores me, but WOW!
    Blake Lively – minus the hooker hair, she looked great.
    Leighton Meester
    Sandra Oh – nice and simple
    Jennifer Carpenter – Again, I don’t care for Zuhair Muhad, but wow, what a dress!
    Drew Barrymore – perfect
    Ginnifer Goodwin – I’m a sucker for that YSL bust-line.
    Leighton Meester – while everyone was wearing the same designers, fashion-forward Leighton definitely stood out for me in that BV creation.

Kristin Chenowith and Mary-Louise Parker seemed underdressed to me.

Padma Lakshmi was the absolute worst dressed for me.

I loved the train on Toni Collette dress, but I don’t like the top half of it.

Kyra Sedgwick looked so much better in motion. She looks terrible in pictures!

Rose Byrne looked great, but she could’ve done something with her hair!

A little disappointed with Chloe Sevigny. An OK look for me, she’s usually risky

11. Victoria September 21, 2009 at 12:21 #

Wow! So many good looks at the Emmys! My favourites are January Jones, Olivia Wilde and definitely Rose Byrne. :D

I vote Rose for BDOTW! I mean, look at that dress. :)

12. Bego September 21, 2009 at 12:42 #

I love Blake Lively and January Jones – amazing. Also I’m glad Rose Byrne wore her hair straight and plain, she never wears it that way, and her Valentino is perfect.

13. mm September 21, 2009 at 13:07 #

January was my favorite! I loved Blake’s look but her pony tail braid was a mess, didnt move properly when she moved or turned her head, Hayden’s hair and make up made her look too mature

14. Nikki September 21, 2009 at 13:10 #

For some reason I wasn’t impressed with January Jones’ look. Maybe it’s the too heavy eyeliner that hid her baby blues, which is one of her best features.

I loved Olivia Wilde’s look, she alway looks fab. I just don’t like the back part of the dress. Ms. Chapman, ever heard of a side zip?

Blake’s just too much. Too much cleavage, too much leg, too much back. Sheesh! She needs a stylist.

Loved loved Drew Barrymore, Christina Applegate, and Rose Byrn is just gorgeous!

Everyone else looked so so.

• Fashion Critic September 21, 2009 at 16:10 #

Just looked back. I see you point re: the zip on Olivia’s dress

15. Ally September 21, 2009 at 13:26 #

This was such an amazingly well dressed event. Stylists have been working overtime! There are so many that I love and all of them are great, but I think Jennifer Carpenter’s is my favorite.

16. Alice[*] September 21, 2009 at 13:31 #

How many beautiful gowns!
    I really love these women: Blake Lively ( she looks stunning O__o,really stunning.),January Jones ( Versace’s gowns are always so beautiful),Olivia Wilde ( so chic!),Kate Walsh,Chloe Sevigny,Mila Kunis,Jennifer Carpenter ( gorgeous dress),Rose Byrne,Drew Barrymore( how cute and pink *-*) and Ginnifer Goodwin.

17. mol September 21, 2009 at 14:01 #

Perfect choice for best dressed. I think I like Rose Byrne over Olivia, but it’s close, as both look gorg.

18. Alice September 21, 2009 at 15:02 #

Mila Kunis´s dress is by far my favourite. I also like Chloe Sevighy´s. Its different, unexpected and creative.

I think Blake Lively really doesnt need to show everything at once all the time. Boobs- very big boobs-legs, back, all at once. Its a bit too much. She has an amazing, healthy, athletic figure, but sometimes less really is more.

19. Nick September 21, 2009 at 15:15 #

Loved Rose Byrne…and not just cause shes aussie…i thought she looked incredibly stunning and loved the soft tone of her dress …for me it was perfect

Drew B looked gorgeous as always
    and loved the bodice of January’s dress…
    Most seemed to disapoint …a little to simple and safe

20. Joanna September 21, 2009 at 15:31 #

Blake = Worst Dressed
    Just cheap

21. tai'tiana September 21, 2009 at 16:28 #

the runner up for best dressed olivia wilde didn’t do anything for me, I didn’t like it on the runway and I didn’t like it here last year was much better for me

christinia hendricks did look very beautiful she knowsn how to accentuate her curves all the time

rose bryne gown was very beautiful but I think it was too long for her and her hair was too blah….i think a new updo would have been nice …overall it was a georgous dress but not on her

22. Joana September 21, 2009 at 17:20 #

January Jones!! I was affraid that she wasn’t famous enough for you to vote her as best dressed but you surprised me and I SO AGREE WITH YOU!! I had only seen an hint of the dress when I recognized it as the best of the night!! Just beautiful!!

Blake Lively! Since I only have TRULLY BAD things to say I won’t say anything cause I like this blog too much to say it!? lol?

Heidi Klum!! LOVE HER and Love the dress!!

Jennifer Carpenter!! To skinny?! Maybe! But that’s the perfect body for that time of gown!!

Chloe Sevigny!! She’s a little box full of surprises and this is a good one!! Love the way we can see the sexy shapes of her body without being too obvious!!!

Ginnifer Goodwin!! Reminded me a bit of a much better version of Victoria Beckham!! lol :D

• Joana September 21, 2009 at 17:22 #

Jennifer Carpenter!! To skinny?! Maybe! But that’s the perfect body for that type of gown!! (I meant type an not time! sorry)

• Fashion Critic September 21, 2009 at 17:24 #

it’s all about the dresses. I have no idea who Jennifer Carpenter is, but she is on my list for Best Dressed :)

• Ally September 21, 2009 at 19:02 #

Jennifer Carpenter plays the sister of the main character on Dexter on Showtime. She is also married to Michael C. Hall’s who plays Dexter! It is a good show, but about a serial killer who kills other murderers, so not exactly for everyone!

• Linda September 22, 2009 at 01:33 #

I agree about Ginnifer Goodwin – she blows me away with the gorgeous cut and colour and originality of her look. I love the neclace and the hair!

23. Chiara September 21, 2009 at 17:23 #

I felt you were a little harsh on some of the worst dressed but now that I see this list, I can understand, it looks that they didn’t even try. Pretty much everybody on this list is wow.

24. Lauren September 21, 2009 at 19:23 #

There are so many fabulous dresses here, better than last year imo. My favourites were January and Olivia by a clear mile. STUNNING!!

Thank god Drew opt out of that hideous hairstyle this time. Also, I think Heidi Klum looked incredibly chic in that gown and like you said, it was a vast improvement from the Met gala.

25. Linda September 22, 2009 at 01:50 #

Christina Applegate – great dress, but her lopsided boobs are really throwing me off – what the hell is so hard about wearing a bra! So unladylike, too.

26. zoe September 22, 2009 at 19:45 #

wow, wow, wow, wow, wow
    ALL of the ladies on this list look so absolutely beautiful! it’s so great to see so many well dressed women on the red carpet. heidi is so beautiful, and mariska hargitay took my breath away as always, january jones and olivia wilde are perfection in their gowns as well! like i said, everyone on this list looks great and i mean it. great choices fc

27. Hilary September 22, 2009 at 19:47 #

I wore a dress very very similar to Blake’s to a ball recently and it was quite an unpopular choice but I just thought, why the hell not? She’s young and hot and having fun. I freaking LOVE IT.

• Fashion Critic September 22, 2009 at 19:54 #

good on you.

28. Sprmcandy January 19, 2011 at 14:02 #

January is Beautiful !

29. Teleholic April 8, 2012 at 08:08 #

I love looking through the archives and reliving the glory… do you think that red carpets have gotten less interesting now than a few years ago? Both best-dressed and runner-up have lost their mojo, I don’t even remember the most recent Emmys other than Nina Dobrev and Claire Danes and the Oscars felt underwhelming… is something off or is it just me?

• Fashion Critic April 8, 2012 at 14:14 #

Less for the major events.

People play it safe these days