14.09.09 Best Dressed

2009 MTV Video Music Awards – Best Dressed

Best Dressed Award
Taylor Swift looked so graceful on the red carpet wearing a Kaufman Franco Resort 2009 one shoulder draped nude silver sequin gown.

I know many of you are rolling your eyes and saying “Not another embellished red carpet dress”, but you can’t deny who stunning she was on the red carpet.

Red Carpet Rebel Award
Leighton Meester doesn’t know what ‘play it safe’ means, and I love her for constantly keeping things interesting.

The red carpet rebel wore an interesting white and grey sequin Christian Cota Fall 2009 dress with petal sleeves.

Crazy studded Giuseppe Zanotti fan cut-out boots, a Bottega Veneta clutch, and Cathy Waterman jewelry completed the look along with smoky eyes and a single bangle.

Most Improved Award
Maybe it’s because she stopped trying so hard, or maybe it’s because her sister looked so bad but I liked what Solange was wearing for a change.

Her Armand Basi One LBD with a interesting folded details doesn’t scream “attention” for once.

De Ju Vu Award
Katy Perry does look amazing wearing this Blonds Spring 2009 strapless spikey dress which has been modified from the runway, but I’ve seen so many variations of this corset on Rihanna, Britney and Fergie that I’m starting to get a bit bored of this look.

As if her dress didn’t sparkle enough she added JudeFrances jewelery to her look.

It’s A Bit Formal, But I Love It Award
Nelly Furtardo’s Elie Saab Fall 2009 sheath dress with an embellished neckline may seem to formal for the VMAs, but I absolutely love this dress.

It reminds me of the dress Kelly Osbourne wore to the GQ Awards last week.

Best Mini Dress Award
Rose Byrne was the biggest surprised on this red carpet, but she got into the spirit of the event by wearing a cute Marc Jacobs Resort 2010 black mini dress with a purple floral print.

Best Balmain Award
Shakira’s sexy look was more fitting to this Balmain Fall 2009 dress than Pink, even though most of us are not fans of the thigh-high boots trend.

Best LBD Award
Alicia Keys who I would’ve expected to wear something more colourful, opted for a black sequin Dolce & Gabbana dress with silver circle details.

A sliver clutch and multi-coloured heels complete the look.

Best Jumpsuit Award
After Amber Rose’s hideous jumpsuit Keri Hilson couldn’t do any worse.

She looked stunning wearing a sexy – yet not trashy -black plunging Charlotte Ronson Fall 2009 jumpsuit with embellished wide shoulders.

Davidelfin showed for the first time in Bryant Park this week. Amerie attended the show and obviously became a instant fan of the collection.

Best Use Of Colour Award
Whilst a lot of stars opted for black Amerie brought a burst of colour to the red carpet, wearing an aqua Davidelfin Spring 2010 mini dress which was just off the runway.

She paired her caped dress with black pigalles and an ankle accessory.

Most Predictable Award
I knew Alexa Chung was going to walk this red carpet wearing a cute dress with ankle boots. She didn’t let me down.

I hate the boots, but I can’t deny how cute her Luella Fall 2007 dress is.

Best High-Street Award
Lauren Bosworth’s may have only spent $268 on her black and white embroidered French Connection Damask dress but it was one of the best on this red carpet.

Neither Hate It, Nor Love It Award
I’m not a fan of Lady GaGa’s style by many means, but this was one of her finer moments.  Mostly because she was not exposing her derrière.

Her look was very theatrical with her gold Phantom of the Opera mask, tilted hat and feathered neck brace.

Under all that was a Jean Paul Gaultier black gown.

Credit: INFevents.com & Wireimage

2009 MTV Video Music Awards - Worst Dressed

2009 MTV Video Music Awards – Worst Dressed

Alice + Olivia Spring 2010

Alice + Olivia Spring 2010

32 Responses to 2009 MTV Video Music Awards – Best Dressed

1. vmas September 14, 2009 at 06:11 #

amazing post
    no kristen :(

• Fashion Critic September 14, 2009 at 06:22 #

kristen wasn’t on the red carpet

2. NOOR September 14, 2009 at 06:14 #

taylor & Leighton look GREAT !!
    lady gaga is .. crazy ! that’s all i can say

WOW first to comment for the first time ;=p

3. Nic September 14, 2009 at 06:16 #

OMG, not another shining shimmering dress from Taylor. Ok, she likes sequins but please stop wearing it on every red carpet event. She needs to try something new.

Love Leighton Meester’s look. She gets it right most of the time, if not all the time.

I also like Rose Byrne’s dress. It’s cute.

4. justme September 14, 2009 at 06:28 #

Taylor? Really? It’s your list though so moving on.

I like Leighton’s look too. I’m not sure those shoes are meant for that dress. Actually, I know they are not. But somehow, she makes this outfit work. Can you say girl crush clouds? Lol.

• Fashion Critic September 14, 2009 at 06:40 #

I like what I like and never apologize for it. So Taylor. Yes.

5. Catherine September 14, 2009 at 06:38 #

love Rose Byrne’s dress.
    Taylor does love her sequined dresses doesn’t she? she does look great though.
    I like Leighton’s dress and shoes..but i thought the eye makeup was a bit much.

6. Shami September 14, 2009 at 06:55 #

Did anyone else think Lady Gaga looked really really (even more than usual) ridiculous in everything she wore tonight? The worst was her eskimo outfit. I think Taylor’s dress is pretty, even if it is expected. That Marc Jacobs dress is darling.

7. Hellwafashion September 14, 2009 at 07:09 #

Like Taylor’s dress, & even if I didn’t I wouldn’t say anything bad about her today, I think Kanye’s done enough to that girl.
    I love love Leighton’s shoes & think Kate Perry looks gr8, she’s always interesting.
    This post is great, good 2 c some people remembered their fashion sense at MTV!

8. Mackentiff September 14, 2009 at 07:17 #

Wow I absolutely love Rose Burne’s dress, def my favourite.
    Love Leighton’s shoes, like the dress, hate the hair.
    Taylor Swift always looks great, and age appropriate. BTW. Kanye is a douche.

9. Vera September 14, 2009 at 08:14 #

Finally, finally, finally!!! Christian Cota is here. I felt so in love with his FW collection that just couldn’t wait to see it on the red carpet… Flawless.

I think it’s not fair that Balmain didn’t control that Shakira and Pink were planning to go to the ceremony in same dresses.

10. Leela September 14, 2009 at 09:09 #

Shame Kristen wasn’t on the red carpet, I think she looked outstanding.
    Agree with the whole list, especially Keri Hilson – so gorgeous.

11. Jenny September 14, 2009 at 09:23 #

Taylor looks nice, but very boring and overdressed. Just like LeAnn Rimes at the MTV Movie Awards, she chose a gown, which was rather inappropriate for an MTV award ceremony.

I’m sick of Kaufman Franco, too. Man, he makes some boring dresses.

12. Adrien September 14, 2009 at 09:47 #

Taylor looks great, maybe not the most “out there” dress but come on she looks gorgeous!
    Leighton is as always, captivating!
    (I miss 5 pics on my browser :( )

13. Matt September 14, 2009 at 12:24 #

Lady Gaga is hilarious. She doesn’t seem to find a balance, Either she goes overboard or she is damn near naked. This is just overkill in my opinion.

14. Ally September 14, 2009 at 12:42 #

Leighton’s makeup ages her a lot, in my opinion. And I think Lady Gaga looks like she is struggling to hold up the weight of her outfit, haha

15. Ally September 14, 2009 at 13:04 #

Taylor looks great. Girl is what, 19? Let her wear a sparkly dress if she wants to!

Leighton is my favorite though. The dress is interesting without being ridiculous. This is the best of her edgy looks.

16. Victoria September 14, 2009 at 13:30 #

Love the Marc Jabobs dress, it’s adorable! Wish I owned it. And I don’t care if Taylor wears shimmery dresses all the time. She looks great! :) Taylor for BDOTW! :D

17. Boeshane September 14, 2009 at 13:39 #

I don’t know if Kristen Stewart was on the red carpet, but I saw pics of her on stage. It’s the first time I really like her look. I’m almost sure she was wearing a Valentino dress. And she have a new bob hairdo. Kinda chic, I like it.

And Lady Gaga after party look was… interesting. White.

18. Boeshane September 14, 2009 at 13:41 #

Oh, and yes, Taulor for BDOTW, she looks great.

And Keri Hilson jumpsuit look is incredible ! Love it !

19. eder September 14, 2009 at 14:39 #

Leighton is A-MAZING love her whole look :D I also love Keri’s look sexy without looking trashy

20. eimear September 14, 2009 at 14:43 #

Taylor looks 80… such a boring look..
    Katy perry is sooooo best dressed, who cares if someones worn in before. I say if it looks good.. it looks good a thousand times over.

21. Flixer September 14, 2009 at 15:25 #

Generally I don’t like Taylor Swift as she’s just too sweet for me, but she really looks like a goddess here. I love it!

22. adrien September 14, 2009 at 15:35 #

OMG!!!
    I just saw Lady Gaga!!!
    Come on…. is it a joke? She looks like Marilyn Manson on crack (or without it ;))
    She is gonna faint by suffocating!!

23. Chiara September 14, 2009 at 16:27 #

The only one I really like really is Alicia Keys. This is VMA’s attitude.
    I like Leighton’s concept but not the dress so much.
    Tbh I really liked Beyonce’s dress on tv, but on the pictures you’re right it doesn’t look so nice.

24. doc September 14, 2009 at 20:43 #

I have been reading that the Katy Perry’s dress was by Thierry Mugler. I definitely would have put Whitney Port and Beyonce in the best dressed list. Taylor is not impressive in that dress. It looks like an old worn out sheet with glitter thrown on it. She is always overwhelmed by her clothes.

25. Flora September 14, 2009 at 21:53 #

Almost all of the outfits at this event were absolutely terrible with the exceptions of Leighton and Rose. But I’d take the maddest of Lady Gaga outfits over another boring Taylor Swift metallic dress any day. Actually, I’d take Lady Gaga over almost any of these dresses. Anyone can wear a nice designer frock and get on the Best Dressed lists (well, alright, I probably couldn’t). She takes risks with fashion, and we need more stars like her in the world. Couldn’t hum you one of her songs, mind you.

p.s: shock of the evening for me: Rose Byrne has brushed her hair!!!!

26. thomas monks September 14, 2009 at 22:21 #

lady gaga wore Jean Paul Gaultier

27. sydneycheapchic September 15, 2009 at 00:27 #

Leighton’s makeup ages her…

I think Taylor looked beautiful! My sister doesn’t go to this site so she doesn’t realise that Taylor does like to wear embellished dresses all the time, but when she saw Taylor and that Kanye west video on youtube.. she actually gasped when she say Taylor’s dress…. Just because she has a preference for it, it doesn’t stop her from looking beautiful in it.

28. shili September 16, 2009 at 19:28 #

I understand that Lady GaGa`s style should shock us, but it just looks catastrophic. I`m really bored of her.

• Ksenia February 14, 2010 at 23:27 #

I agree. There really is a limit to tackiness and theatrics to fashion that she is just trying to push and push. It is great to be creative and artsy, but Gaga is just out of line.

29. Ksenia February 14, 2010 at 23:25 #

~Nelly Furtado is stunning in her Elie Saab dress. She has really developed her style from Jenny from the Block to Nelly on the red carpet. So chic.

~Katy Perry lets me down. Tacky.
    ~Amerie is stunning in her gorgeously colored dress.