Thigh High Boots Trend – Like It Or Not Here It Comes

The surprising trend from the Fall 2009 collections were thigh high boots.

On the runway the models looked strong, powerful and sexy in the statement boots.

Stella McCartney’s perforated thigh-high boots sold out almost the second they were uploaded onto the virtual shelves of Net-A-Porter international yesterday.

I was shocked because surely everyone is as terrified of thigh high boots as I am.

I guess I was wrong.

InStyle UK, Harper’s Bazaar UK, Dazed & Confused, Vogue UK and many more magazines have produced editorials with thigh-high boots, but how do we wear them.

I sort advice from the ladies who produce these fashion bibles on what’s the best way to wear thigh-boots.

Natalie Massenet, Founder of Net-A-Porter

“Wear the boots with an oversized sweater or blazer making sure the tops of the boots are not seen.”

Dolly Jones, Editor of Vogue.com

“I’m wearing some at the moment – they are not nearly as scary with flat heels, but they look just as sexy – and I tone down the look with a loose sweater dress so the whole thing feels relaxed rather than high voltage.”

Chloe Beeney, Fashion Director of InStyle UK

“Rocking the Thigh-High isn’t as hard as it seems pair it with a great long knit either dress or boyfriend cardigan and away you go.”

They make it sound so easy, and the fact these boots are selling out means that can be that easy.

No if only I could get those images of Julia Roberts in “Pretty Woman” out of my mind.

Credit: Style.com, Harpers Bazaar UK, InStyle UK & Wireimage

Kylie Minogue In Dolce & Gabbana - Out In New York City

Kylie Minogue In Dolce & Gabbana – Out In New York City

Shakira For Vanity Fair October 2009

Shakira For Vanity Fair October 2009

24 Responses to Thigh High Boots Trend – Like It Or Not Here It Comes

1. Adrien September 3, 2009 at 14:28 #

Like it or not you have to admit the Stella Mc Cartney ones look fabulous!!!
    I also like the length of the Azrouël’s, where I find the other ones too tacky…
    I think that Madonna looks incredibly ridiculous, it s too costumy and what is she doing? Even I don’t scratch my balls if front of people, so I would never do it in front of the cameras!!! ^^

PS: I just had a big laugh in my office reading about Julia Roberts, you re SO right!

2. Jude September 3, 2009 at 15:03 #

At 5’1 it is a trend I will not be rocking! Sadly whilst i would love to look leggy and wonderful, I would look like a child playing dress up!

Not as against it for others as I was when it first came down from the runways though.

3. Louisa September 3, 2009 at 15:10 #

I couldn’t vote because I’m just too ambivalent about this trend – it really just depends on who is wearing it! Having said that, personally, I’m not buying into this trend.

4. Noora Al-thani September 3, 2009 at 15:41 #

i just look at them and wonder what if they wanted to scratch their foot???!!!
    i’d never wear them there too constraining ..
    to be honest i do like Stella’s but i prefer the legging version :)

5. Vera September 3, 2009 at 15:43 #

I love Stella’s ones; Chloe Hanna McGibbon’, from my point of view, are also kinda interesting; but I won’t wear any thigh-high boots. Even if they were in fashion for twenty years straight.

6. Flutterbang September 3, 2009 at 16:06 #

I’m much the same, thanks to Julia Roberts’ Pretty Woman I just can’t un-relate thigh-high boots to hookers.

7. SarahV September 3, 2009 at 16:07 #

I like them flat and suede – for preventing the pretty woman-feel. Besides that, not so much….

8. Flora September 3, 2009 at 16:25 #

God, I can barely get boots wide enough to get on over my ANKLES, let alone my thighs! Definitely not a look anyone under 6 foot or over 8 stone should be wearing.

9. robbie September 3, 2009 at 16:25 #

hate it, hate it, hate it! they just look so cheap and tacky. on stella i must admit they look good but that is mostly cause they look like booties with leggings. but it is my pet hate seeing thigh high boots with a mini skirt, if someone is gonna wear that they should stand on the street corner. sorry if that is rude.

10. ZzaRaZza September 3, 2009 at 16:45 #

Love them but not on me :)

11. justme September 3, 2009 at 16:46 #

I don’t mind high thigh boots, I think they can look fabulous when worn right.
    But they’re definitely photoshoots/red carpets material. I HIGHLY doubt lots of people are gonna rock them in the streets.

12. marve September 3, 2009 at 17:51 #

I think the trend will work well off the red carpet (like you said, with an oversized sweater and perhaps tights) but I dont think they will translate well to the Red Carpet. It’ll be intresting to see which celebs hope on board with this trend (imagine Heidi Montag!!!)

• Fashion Critic September 3, 2009 at 18:03 #

The moment Heidi jumps on it will officially be over

13. yasmine September 3, 2009 at 20:14 #

i think their okay, but it would take alot of attitude and guts to pull them off on the street so they’l look decent…

Madonna scares me

14. Lisa-kaye September 3, 2009 at 23:18 #

I have bought some already, bought the Topshop ones about six weeks ago when they first came into the store. I have yet to wear them though, they’re gorgeous but not sure what to wear them with!!!
    I have skinny legs and am about 5ft 11″ with them on but like most of you say…julia roberts!!??

• Fashion Critic September 3, 2009 at 23:22 #

jinx we are the same height

• mike September 30, 2009 at 14:04 #

When you finally wear them, can you send me some photos? I bet you will look absolutely awesome!

• Fashion Critic September 30, 2009 at 14:19 #

Don’t you mean if. ;)

Will do :)

• jim August 30, 2010 at 16:58 #

I wish more women would wear them with jeans with just 3-4 inch heel that is comfortable. If f man wore summer sandles in the 1950 s he would be a queer. If women dressed in fhe 1950 s wifh the guy look like women do now. Let people wear what makes them feel good about themselves. Can we ever get away from stero typing people.

15. Ivy Frozen September 4, 2009 at 03:20 #

I love thigh high boots. I got a pair last year and wore them all through the winter. I like pairing them with sweet little dresses with a print, and I prefer to have the top showing. (Admittedly, mine are more over the knee than thigh high and in a suede.) Those Stella McCartney ones are to die for, but the ones in a Chanel collection a while back are what made me fall in love with thigh high boots.

16. Fashion Fancier September 4, 2009 at 15:01 #

OMG! This is what i dreaming about since I’d seen them on the runaways during fall fashion week. Roberto Cavalli has a nice high))) suede boots…but I am actually waiting for Zara suede boots)))(in my country they haven’t arrived yet in store)

17. Joana September 4, 2009 at 19:30 #

I LOVE this trend since the day I saw Phi FW07 thigh high boots that I love till this day!!
    I only have a pair and they are flat so I definitely have to get an high heeled pair!!

18. LizMelendreras/Stylist September 7, 2009 at 23:30 #

I do not see anything wrong with thigh high boots as long as it worn respectable. Not trashy but classy. Its hard to place classy with thigh high boots but it can work ( i.e. Chole ad in Vogue Sept.09)

• LiliBet October 7, 2009 at 22:21 #

I totally agree with you and I LOVE Thigh and Crotch high boots notwithstanding immature Julia Roberts/Hooker mentality here whith these boots! I own 70 pairs and I wear appropriate outfits as that is the key to wearing them fashionably and sensibly.
      Over jeans/leggings miniskirts, dresses look good as long as nice tops. I do NOT follow what Fashionistas want women to wear at all as I wear what I want and don`t care about any ones vies or opinions when I wear these boots and often I wear evn to work with no negative comments ever.
      xoxo