2009 China Huabiao Film Awards

She’s back.

Zhang Ziyi it back on top form after being outshone by her co-stars and failing to impress on recent red carpet outings.

Zhang arrived at this event wearing Chanel Couture Spring 2009 dress – rather than her usual Armani – looking absolutely breath-taking.

Unfortunately I couldn’t find a full-length picture, but it’s all about her stunning dress with it’s floral appliqués and black sequin stripes.

Fine silver jewelry complement her delicate look.

Definitely a BDOTW contender.

Fan Bingbing usually wears a lot of girlie colours especially pinks, but on this occasion she wore a dark olive Givenchy Fall 2009 layered floor length Georgette gown.

The one-sleeve gown had a padded shoulder, a draping panel on front, and half a peplum.

A high up ‘do covered with a head wrap or turban, with a long wrap-around leaf detailed necklace, a black bangle and black ankle strap heels completes this edgier look for the beautiful actress.

It’s not often we see two Chanel Couture looks on the red carpet at once, but Zhou Xun also wore a dress from the Chanel Spring 2009 Couture collection.

Her ivory creation was minus the runway collar, but Zhou added a statement necklace to her strapless ensemble.

I love the look both ways, but I like that the actress made the look more interesting for us by modifying from the runway look.

Pearl pumps completed the look.

Shu Qi who you will remember as one of the judges from the 2009 Cannes Film Festival, walked the red carpet wearing a strapless pink Salvatore Ferragamo Spring 2009 satin gown.

The gown was gathered above the waist with a circular silver clasp, which complemented her silver necklace.

Walking to the venue we were able to get a glimpse of Shu’s Roger Vivier heels.

I haven’t seen as much Christian Dior on the red carpet as I would have hoped this year, but Carina Lau fulfills my requirement wearing a Christian Dior Fall 2009 fuchsia pink Indian inspired gown covered in exquisite embellishments.

Again this is not a full-length photo, but Carina more than does this gown justice, pairing it with a stand out Dior clutch but keeping jewels to a minimum to let the gown do all the talking.

Chiling Lin showed off her amazing figure wearing a Salvatore Ferragamo Fall 2009 gown.

She makes this backless plunging gown look like a well crafted piece of art sculptured to her body.

I’m sure she left jaws dropping in her wake of her stunning beauty.

Diamond earrings were all she needed to add to this look.

[nggallery id=167]

Credit: AP,Getty & Style.com

In Kate Winslet's Closet - Stella McCartney Lace Sleeved Dress

In Kate Winslet’s Closet – Stella McCartney Lace Sleeved Dress

Yves Saint Laurent Fall/Winter 2009-2010 ‘Manifesto’

Yves Saint Laurent Fall/Winter 2009-2010 ‘Manifesto’

46 Responses to 2009 China Huabiao Film Awards

1. Mimi September 1, 2009 at 12:08 #

I have to say these Chinese girls seem to dress with a lot more class and elegance than the Hollywood lot.

The pink Christian Dior dress is beautiful and Carina Lau is right not to wear any unnecessary jewellery.

And Chiling Lin looks better than most Hollywood stars have looked all year.

Amazing.

• Fashion Critic September 1, 2009 at 12:14 #

I totally agree. These girls give me goosebumps every time they set out on the red carpet.

The way they dress is the very reason I fell in love with red carpet dressing.

Long may the conquer.

2. Cleopatra September 1, 2009 at 12:09 #

the chanel dress is incredible! but i imagine not everyone can pull it off…

3. Camilla September 1, 2009 at 12:24 #

I can’t express how much I adore Zhang Ziyi’s look. She isn’t just a contender, she’s a winner! Chilling Lin deserves a nomination too, for making a black dress look so spectacular.

What a turnaround fashion-wise, when you think of the Daytime Emmies. This should surely become your ‘featured event’ in a few months time, whenever you’re having a slow fashion week!

4. Moody Crab September 1, 2009 at 12:24 #

These dressese are exquisite! These Chinese actreses need to teach their Hollywood counterparts a thing or two on how to dress for red carpet events.

They should all be up for BDOTW, in my honest opinion.

• Fashion Critic September 1, 2009 at 12:31 #

I want to put them all up

• FashionLover September 1, 2009 at 14:59 #

I agree with Moody Crab!

5. Moody Crab September 1, 2009 at 12:26 #

PS: Is Fan Bingbing wearing a head wrap?

• Fashion Critic September 1, 2009 at 12:30 #

oh my, you are right. She appears to be wearing a turban or head wrap of some description. Well spotted.

6. Martin September 1, 2009 at 12:28 #

Now THIS is what an awards show red carpet should look like. Edgy, distinctive and breathtaking. Zhang Ziyi looks radiant in the Chanel couture, but I’m also loving Fan Bingbing in Givenchy. She’s definitely my red carpet newcomer of the year so far.

7. lily September 1, 2009 at 12:29 #

Zhang Ziyi looks stunning. I would love to see her shoes though.
    But I’m so disappointed that Fan Bingbing wore this Givenchy gown. Although it wasn’t my favourite dress from the Givenchy fall collection I really liked it until I saw it on Fan. The shoes, the necklace- it all feels so wrong. I’d love to see it on Tilda Swinton- she would totally do the dress justice.

• Fashion Critic September 1, 2009 at 15:40 #

I agree . It would have looked better on Tida

8. Adrien September 1, 2009 at 12:31 #

Something about those chinese girls…

Fabulous Salvatore Ferragamo gown, and that Christian Dior is to die for!

Thanks for posting internationnal events!

• Fashion Critic September 1, 2009 at 12:33 #

always my pleasure.

• Mimi September 1, 2009 at 12:37 #

Yes, we would never get to see this without your site. The Western media is very insular.

• Michal September 1, 2009 at 15:37 #

it’s true, adrien is right for thanking you, FC, for that always-broad review of yours – it would be such a shame if we’d miss *that* award show. oy, Zhang Ziyi – what a BDOTW! haven’t been wowed like this since diane kruger made that balmain+louboutin combo. thrilling.

9. Helena September 1, 2009 at 12:42 #

A few best dressed of the week contenders here!

Zhang Ziyi, Zhou Xun and Fan Bing Bing!

10. zzarazza September 1, 2009 at 12:54 #

Ah, Chiling Lin is breathtakingly beautiful in that black gown. And Zhang Ziyi too, if only that skirt with floral appliqués didn’t part so much in front…

11. Alexandra September 1, 2009 at 13:17 #

i can’t stand how astonishingly beautiful they are and ALL amazingly dressed! not a hint of overdressing or neglect, on the other side, just simple red carpet grace and beauty. all gowns complimented perfectly with jewellery and accesories. i can’t even decide if I love the Ferragamo gown or Chanels better…

12. lan September 1, 2009 at 13:25 #

they all look stunning.
    they choose such different but beautiful pieces too many girls that are often in the media spotlight would shy away from.
    i also think they always do really well with their hair and make-up, i dont think ive ever really seen them with make up thats really bad/doesnt suit them!
    thanks heaps FC so glad you post events like this.

• Mimi September 1, 2009 at 13:35 #

And they never look tarty like a lot of the Hollywood lot do.

I’m so amazed, still amazed.

13. Vera September 1, 2009 at 14:13 #

From my point of view, there’s no need to make a poll.

Zhang Ziyi is just unbeatable.

14. meixie September 1, 2009 at 14:34 #

I’am a Chinese girl.
    Reading your replys,I’m very happy O(∩_∩)O~

15. mol September 1, 2009 at 14:39 #

Wow – jaw dropping! Hard to pick a favorite, but Chiling Lin in Ferragamo and Fan BingBing in Givenchy are as close to perfection as I’ve seen this year. I really come to this site because of your range FC, so thanks for this gorgeous morning wake-up present.

• Fashion Critic September 1, 2009 at 15:38 #

thanks. I think it’s nice to take a trip to Asian once in a while as sometimes Hollywood can be so uninspiring.

How often do we see Asian ladies on WWIB? polls? hardly ever.

Always giving us something new and fresh

16. sydneycheapchic September 1, 2009 at 14:40 #

Chiling Lin & Zhang Ziyi definitely contenders!! absolutely gorgeous!

17. meixie September 1, 2009 at 14:40 #

I‘m very proud that our fashion stars have been approved by all of you (*^__^*) 嘻嘻

18. Flora September 1, 2009 at 14:48 #

They all look lovely. I think Eva Green wore the pink Dior dress to one of the Cannes galas earlier on in the year. (although with frighten-the-children make-up if I remember)

19. Stuti September 1, 2009 at 15:03 #

That Dior gown was worn by Eva Green first! I hated it back then. :/
    Now, I LOVE it!
    Also, that Ferragamo gown was worn by Priyanka Chopra and Liz Hurley. :D
    Zhang, you win already. :D

20. Priscila September 1, 2009 at 15:34 #

They all look great. Thanks for posting this!

21. whitestroke September 1, 2009 at 16:05 #

And Asians knock it out of the park.

AGAIN.

22. Lizzie September 1, 2009 at 16:13 #

Simply wonderful!

23. Gaber September 1, 2009 at 17:19 #

I haven’t voted for Best Dresses in two (maybe 3) weeks since the contenders were insanely lacking lately. It’s not the same thing when the winner is chosen by who sucks the least.
    But this week … gosh … Ziyi is perfect.
    I don’t see how this could be topped this week.

24. Alicia September 1, 2009 at 18:30 #

Believe it or not, I’m pretty sure I’ve seen Courtney Love wearing that Givenchy dress on Fan.

25. justme September 1, 2009 at 18:31 #

Zhang Ziyi’s dress is beautiful, BEAUTIFUL.

Shu Qi’s Salvatore Ferragamo gown is also exquisite.

Is there something in the Chinese water that makes all those women so… classy?

26. lstp0136 September 1, 2009 at 19:23 #

hey FC,

this is the full length picture of Zhang Ziyi at the event, enjoy!

• Fashion Critic September 1, 2009 at 19:33 #

thanks. I’m still trying to find a red carpet full length for BDOTW

27. zoe September 1, 2009 at 20:39 #

!!!!

these asian ladies need to set up their own school of style. they step out looking amazing ALL the time. british girls, aussie girls, american girls have nothinggggggg on our fellow ladies over in the east! breathtaking!!!!

not only is zhang ziyi’s look a contender for bdotw, it’s a contender for best dressed of the year in my opinion. i’m already making a mental list of the looks i want to nominate for best dressed of the year.

• Fashion Critic September 1, 2009 at 20:41 #

Oh for sure regarding BDOT year.

She is already on my list.

28. suejin September 2, 2009 at 00:33 #

Zhang Ziyi looks so casually comfortably effortlessly chic! lol

Wow, my jaw literally dropped when I saw Chiling Lin. Stunning!!!!!!!

29. meixie September 2, 2009 at 01:53 #

Here is Carina Lau’s full-length photo.

And Shu Qi,Fan bing bing,Chiling Lin with other Chinese move stars.

• Fashion Critic September 2, 2009 at 07:54 #