The September Issue London Screening

Yesterday I was invited by InStyle UK to attend the advance screening of “The September Issue” sponsored by LoveFilm and Ovarian Cancer Action.

Unfortunately Anna Wintour didn’t arrive at the screening, but the glamorous girls from UK pop group Sugarbabes did.

The trio looked sexy in their co-ordinated LBD’s. They each had gold accents on either their shoes or handbags.

Amelle Berrabah wore a La Petite Salope black velvet one-shouldered belted dress, which she had shortened to show off her legs.  Her look was paired with Topshop open toe gold studded ankle boots and a Chanel purse.

Heidi Range introduced me to a designer I hadn’t heard of before Jasper Garvida. Her LBD was from his Fall 2009 collection.

The plunging dress was covered in platinum paillettes which were more beautiful in real life, the pictures aren’t doing the dress enough justice.

Her look was also paired with a Chanel bag and Moschino heels with a gold wedge.

Keisha Buchanan dress was instantly recognizable. “Alexander Wang” I said, to which she smiled and nodded.

Her Alexander Wang slim grommet dress will see her on a Who Wore It Better? poll because both Rihanna and Khloe Kardashian have worn this dress before her.

Her look was paired with black heels and a stunning black bag covered in gold links.

Onto the movie.

It was amazing. A real education into the workings of a magazine, Anna Wintour and her staff.

Anna is not as scary as I assumed she would be, but scary enough to keep her staff and designers on their toes.

I don’t want to talk in too much detail as I don’t want to give too much away, but I think a star is born in Wales-born Creative Director Grace Coddington. She had me in stitches through-out the documentary.

My favourite line was when Grace say to a colleague, “Will Anna like this one?”, referring to a black leather coat.   Her colleague says, “It’s black”.

“That’s true,” Grace says. “You’d get fired for that.”

I will remind you guys of that the next time you tell me off for moaning too much about black dresses. *winks*

“The September Issue” opens in theaters September 11.

Credit: Jasper Garvida & Wireimage

In Amelle Berrabah's Closest - La Petite S***** Asymmetrical Velvet Black Dress

In Amelle Berrabah’s Closest – La Petite S***** Asymmetrical Velvet Black Dress

Maria Sharapova by Cole Haan Collection Launch

Maria Sharapova by Cole Haan Collection Launch

14 Responses to The September Issue London Screening

1. Marianna Cataldi August 28, 2009 at 12:30 #

We want photos of your look, FC! hahaha :)

• Fashion Critic August 28, 2009 at 12:34 #

They only added the pictures of celebrities to the picture agencies :)

2. Mimi August 28, 2009 at 12:46 #

Oh kudos to you FC for getting invited. Much deserved. Your website is just the best!

• Fashion Critic August 28, 2009 at 12:49 #

thanks Mimi :)

3. Jess August 28, 2009 at 14:02 #

wow I love Heidi’s dress

4. funkymover August 28, 2009 at 14:29 #

Jasper Garvinda won season 3 of Project Catwalk.

• Fashion Critic August 28, 2009 at 14:32 #

OK…so that explains the picture I saw of him with Kelly Osbourne.

He collections are fabulous.

I should watch telly more.

5. marvel August 28, 2009 at 16:46 #

Love the fact that you said AlexanderWang and she nodded. Great Job!!

• Fashion Critic August 28, 2009 at 16:50 #

thanks sweets :D

6. Noodles August 28, 2009 at 17:09 #

What did you wear Fashion critic? oh and I am obsessed with your website!! I am on it everyday!

• Fashion Critic August 28, 2009 at 17:20 #

I wore a teal stripey dress. It was vintage.

7. heather ♥ August 28, 2009 at 18:01 #

I’m very excited to see this movie! Even more so now that you’ve given it a rave review FC!
    And it sounds like the screening was fabulous!

On another note- I hope that Vogue US can turn things around soon… I still have the September Issue that this movie is based on, and I looked through it recently and its just wonderful. Lately though, I really haven’t been inspired by much in their issues. The editorials all seem very much the same and pretty bland, imo…

8. Martin August 29, 2009 at 07:00 #

Totally agree with you Fashion Critic. Coddington was definitely the star of the documentary and had some great one-liners.

One issue I did have with the film though (and I don’t think I’m revealing too much about it hopefully) is that I had the distinct feeling that the filmmaker was manipulating me into viewing Coddington as some sort of victim, subject to Anna’s vagaries and edicts and having her artistic vision thwarted (particularly with the 1920s shoot).

I didn’t think that Anna was portrayed in an overly negative way (which I thought she would be) but I did feel that Grace was presented as an “oh, poor me” kind of individual. Do you get that feeling too?

• Fashion Critic August 29, 2009 at 09:19 #

I feel that Grace was happy to play that role because she wanted people to sympathize with the fact that she did such fantastic creative work that ended up on the cutting room floor, so to speak.

Because when she needed to stand up to Anna she would, like the budget talk in the boardroom.

Grace can hold her own I think