21.08.09

InStyle Magazine’s Summer Soiree

I don’t think I have ever said this before in reference to Ashlee Simpson, but I LOVE what she is wearing.

Usually her look has a “I Wannabe In The Band” type of vibe to it, but here she channels a very cute, feminine summery look that I just can’t get enough of.

Her strapless shimmering champagne coloured Jill Stuart playsuit is so chic, which she pairs with pearls, a white Dolce & Gabbana clutch and grey Brian Atwood heels.

For me the best dressed at this event.

Katie Cassidy wore a modified Balenciaga leopard print dress from the Fall 2009 collection.

I love the draping detail around the hips defining the waist, with her bold multi-coloured clutch and silver strappy heels. I’m really happy black pumps are not in this picture.

I don’t know who Yvonne Strahovski is, but I knew it only took me 2 seconds to fall in love with her cute ensemble.

Her Camilla & Marc Spring 2008 striped blazer with her ivory skirt and blood red shoes has a Ralph Lauren feel to it.

Love it.

Jessica Stroup shows a bit of her sassy side wearing a shortened black strapless Rachel Roy Fall 2009 dress with lace panels.

She paired her dress with Stella McCartney black heels and a matching Sergio Rossi clutch.

I’ve loving how her bob is constantly evolving. I can barely remember how she looked with longer hair.

Jessica is neck and neck with Ashley Greene as my favourite red carpet newbie this year.

I go back and forth with everyone who wears Herve Leger. I know many of you wish these bandages dresses were burned, but some do look great.

This isn’t one of those times. Eliza Dushku is a busty lady and this type of dress doesn’t flatter.

I preferred this Herve Leger armor-trim dress on the runway with one strap rather than two, but I do love the YSL tribute sandals which complement the dress well.

Eliza also carried a bright colourful clutch.

“Lost” actress Emilie de Ravin has been MIA from the red carpet for a long while, but she makes a spectacular return wearing a beautiful ivory lace Max Azria Fall 2009 mini dress.

The runway dress is styled have more of a tougher edge, but Emile’s fully lined version appears softer although she added a studded belt to prevent her look from being too sickly sweet.

Like Alexa Chung, Cat Deeley is flying the flag for us Brits in the US but her chic style is more to my liking.

Cat wore British brands via her a white crochet Jaeger dress paired with tan Mulberry sandals.

Our English rose glows so beautifully, with clean golden locks.

Jennifer Morrison opted for a strapless orange Sonia Rykiel dress with a folded neckline and a voluminous skirt.

I love the bright colour and the cute braided hairstyle.

She pairs her look with a Raven Kauffman Couture clutch.

Miranda Cosgrove has such an infectious smile it’s hard not to love her.

The actress walked the red carpet wearing a Vena Cava Narthex tiered dress.

The brushstroke-print tiers on the bodice and hem adds a touch of colour to the cream sleeveless dress.

Dania Ramirez opted for a white Dolce & Gabbana trademark strapless bustier dress with a eyelet skirt and bright yellow heels.

Krysten Ritter wore red strappy sandals with her midnight blue Proenza Schouler quilted bustier dress.

The dress has a quilted silk charmeuse bustier with perfectly complements the voluminous pleated silk faille skirt.

Sanaa Lathan looked radiant wearing a Tadashi Shoji Fall 2009 hyacinth print chiffon one-shoulder dress.

Jordana Brewster’s Reem Acra Fall 2009 gold leaf jacquard halter dress with black belt, ensure she stood out amongst everyone else who opted for a more summery look.

Garcelle Beauvais opted for a full-length one-shouldered pale pink dress with a coral floral print.

She paired her dress with gold, a tan clutch and coral hooped earrings.

Maggie Grace is always so graceful.

I love her one-shouldered dress with a Dries van Noten Spring 2009-esqe mosaic print.

I’m really not keen on Shenae Grimes’ make-up, but her navy zipper trimmed Isabel Lu dress is cute.

Her look is paired with Miu Miu heels and a Kotour clutch.

Radha Mitchell wore a floaty floral vintage Cardinali dress and vintage KJL bangle from Decades Inc., paired with a Bottega Veneta clutch.

The white sunglasses and wedges add to the summery look she was going for.

Jessica Lucas wore a beautiful emerald one-shouldered Jay Godfrey Resort 2010 dress with a black waistband.

The “Melrose Place” actress accessorized with black pumps, a black clutch and a Swarovski bracelet.

The fashion roller coaster that is Lynn Collins takes another nose dive.

Although I do like the dress and the bright pink lips, the rest of the look feels alien the dress.

The hair is really granny-ifed and the Jeffrey Campbell Potion Ankle Boots – which are very similar to the Opening Ceremony boots – are very rock chick making this look too busy for me.

Credit: Wireimage

In Miranda Cosgrove's Closet - Vena Cava Tiered Dress

In Miranda Cosgrove’s Closet – Vena Cava Tiered Dress

In Ginnifer Goodwin's Closet - Brian Reyes Black & White Dress

In Ginnifer Goodwin’s Closet – Brian Reyes Black & White Dress

40 Responses to InStyle Magazine’s Summer Soiree

1. mol August 21, 2009 at 16:30 #

I love Yvonne Strahovski’s outfit, every detail is so exactly right for me. Miranda Cosgrove’s Vena Cava dress is also the prettiest thing, I’m just distracted by all the hair…looks like it’s gonna be a fun friday!

2. helltastic August 21, 2009 at 16:40 #

Yvonne Strahovski is Sarah in “Chuck”. I like this tv serie.

• Fashion Critic August 21, 2009 at 16:43 #

I’m from the UK so I haven’t seen that show.

• Anissa August 21, 2009 at 17:15 #

It’s a fun show about a computer nerd who accidentally gets a government database downloaded into his head, and has to become a spy. Yvonne plays his handler and hilarity and romance ensues :)

• Ally August 21, 2009 at 17:51 #

It’s one of my favorite shows, so def. rent the DVDs if you have some time. I really like the jacket that Yvonne is wearing.

• Lori August 22, 2009 at 13:04 #

I love Chuck tv serie and Yvonne too. Her outfit for this event is amazing!

3. Dana August 21, 2009 at 16:40 #

WOW, Ashlee. I can’t believe it. What a great look!

4. Ally August 21, 2009 at 17:15 #

I love Katie Cassidy !! Her look and Yvonne’s are my faves.

5. Rachel August 21, 2009 at 17:28 #

Who is this Miranda Cosgrave? I applaud her natural skin and hair, she is like a young Shannon Doherty

• Fashion Critic August 21, 2009 at 17:56 #

Teen actress. She was in The School of Rock

6. FashionLover August 21, 2009 at 17:31 #

wow what a style turnover by Ashlee simpson!
    The color just makes her glow!

7. Rachel August 21, 2009 at 17:34 #

Ditto Krysten Ritter, so refreshing to see among bronzed and bleached LA MWAs. You can nose around that girl’s flat on The Selby (apartment equivalent of The Sartorialist- you can also check out Alexander Wang and Julia Restoine Roitfeld’s flats).

8. Adrien August 21, 2009 at 17:54 #

I adore Yvonne…

9. Kayla August 21, 2009 at 18:11 #

Lynn Collins struggles…she always look like she tries too hard. I can’t remember a time where her look was put-together

• Fashion Critic August 21, 2009 at 18:14 #

I remember 2 or 3 times, the rest are like you say try hard.

10. Valerie August 21, 2009 at 18:14 #

I think the shoes that Lynn Collins wore is actually by Jeffrey Campbell. The opening ceremony buckle is more heavy.

• Fashion Critic August 21, 2009 at 18:23 #

I think you are right. They are very similar.

Thanks

11. Alicia August 21, 2009 at 18:15 #

I do like what Ashlee’s wearing, but I have to say – if you’re going to be critical of Alexa Chung’s greasy hair, you can’t ignore the terrible greasy bangs Ashlee’s sporting.

12. grace August 21, 2009 at 18:33 #

Katie Cassidy best dressed contender for me.

13. marvel August 21, 2009 at 18:33 #

Cat Deely waves the flag wonderfully forus Brits! Regarding your Ashley Greene and Jessica Stroup , Im leaning towards to Ashley!!

14. Amanda August 21, 2009 at 18:41 #

who is Katie Cassidy and why is she wearing a dress from the new Balenciaga collection? I don’t think I’ve seen any big celeb wear anything from that collection yet.

• Fashion Critic August 21, 2009 at 18:44 #

she is in the new Melrose Place tv show.

The show will have a lot of big name designers features, so I guess this will also apply to their red carpet look.

• Stuti August 21, 2009 at 20:03 #

This judge at the Cannes Film Festival wore the same dress, her name escapes me. :P

• Stuti August 21, 2009 at 20:10 #

Charlotte Gainsborough, i think.

• Fashion Critic August 21, 2009 at 20:13 #

yes it was

• Flora August 22, 2009 at 10:06 #

Charlotte Gainsbourg. I think Charlotte wore it better though – mainly because she has exactly the rock n roll attitude (and background!) to pull off something edgy like Balenciaga.

p.s: I have to say, what were In Style thinking with that terrible, busy backdrop? It’s hard to even see the dresses against that, and you practically have to squint to see anything with a pattern!

• Martin August 22, 2009 at 13:12 #

I totally agree. Katie Cassidy’s dress is not working for me at all. It looks cheap. The way in which the dress has been modified dumbs down the effect that Ghesquiere was going for with this collection. The sleeve, the skirt length and the drape was about evoking a sense of Parisian refinement and elegance with a soft eighties edge. I’m not sensing any of this seeing Katie in the dress. Charlotte wore it much better.

15. keisha August 21, 2009 at 18:59 #

where can i get that Jill stuart jumpsuit for myself!!

16. pure-perfection August 21, 2009 at 19:41 #

Katie Cassidy looks incredible!

17. Jenny August 21, 2009 at 20:30 #

I adore Ashlee Simpson here. Her style is usually not my taste but she looks fab here.

Really like Jessica Stroup – she rarely puts a foot wrong which is strange for someone so young.

18. justme August 21, 2009 at 21:33 #

I guess I’m in the minority but I don’t like Ashlee’s look. From the greasy hair to the ill-fittedness of the bustier around her boobs and the pearls, she gets a big no ma’am from me.

I think it’s the 1st time I’ve seen Katie Cassidy with make up that heavy. I like it, it suits her bold look.

Jessica Stroup is looking lovely as always. Sexy but classy dress and as you said, I’m loving her bob.

Her co-star Shenae looks great too… from the neck down lol.

19. Carmen August 21, 2009 at 21:37 #

I really like Lynn Collins dress, someone knows from where it is?

20. Flora August 22, 2009 at 00:51 #

I think this is the first time I have seen Ashlee look polished and classy. It’s cute, but I’m afraid I’m a bit bored of playsuits now. Can we move onto – oh, I dunno, dungarees instead?

There are a lot of people here who I have absolutely no idea who they are, so i’m guessing they are in US TV shows. Unfortunately this does make it rather harder for me to care about what they are wearing. Whoever Jessica Stroup is, this is a nice look, considering it’s really just an LBD. I think what really makes it is her big smile – anyone else wearing this outfit you wouldn’t look twice at.

The one who really stands out for me, and not just because she’s wearing such a vibrant shade of orange, is Jennifer Morrison. Now there’s someone who ALWAYS looks polished and classy. Especially love her natural make-up, cute plaits, and simple accessories. She really lets the dress speak for itself. Lots of young stars (Miley, I mean you) could learn a lot from her.

21. Linda August 22, 2009 at 15:14 #

So much beauty here!
    Katie Cassidy, Yvonne – perfection! – Sannaa Lathan – gorgeous! and Cat Deely looking great. Maggie Grace looks so elegant and graceful. I really don’t like Ashlee Simpson’s look – lank hair, pallid complexion, looks like she ‘s in underwear.

22. Ling August 22, 2009 at 19:07 #

Nice try Cat Deeley but I’ll need more than that to make up for those awful Walker’s crisps ads …!!

Jennifer Morrison looks lovely, I love her plaits (much nicer than Olivia Palermo’s old lady plaits) I keep trying to do them on my own hair but they never work out :(

I’m quite shocked at how gorgeous Miranda Cosgrove looks, she’s matured beautifully, School of Rock seemed like such a long time ago!

• Fashion Critic August 22, 2009 at 19:10 #

I hate those walkers ads too.

23. Mari October 2, 2009 at 21:56 #

re. Lynn Collins – thats defnitely not “grannified” as you put it -
    its a great look – original/ shades of goth…

24. Frank October 5, 2009 at 23:05 #

Eliza just looks like agray cardboard box. She needs some hips to wear that dress, her body is too athletic.